What Can You As A Player Do About 2Xppc+Gauss?

248 replies to this topic

#161 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

While 4 UAC5 is a very solid nasty build, like 4 AC5, what compels you to post a 567 damage (really not impressive) screenshot like it is some kind of achievement?

What's with all the posting lousy screenshots of lousy performances as if they meant anything? Not that it would be any better if people started posting all those 1000+ damage e-peen driven screenshots again like a few months ago, but this is between endearing and silly.

Edited by Lefteye, 31 July 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#162 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostLefteye, on 31 July 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

While 4 UAC5 is a very solid nasty build, like 4 AC5, what compels you to post a 567 damage (really not impressive) screenshot like it is some kind of achievement?

What's with all the posting lousy screenshots of lousy performances as if they meant anything? Not that it would be any better if people started posting all those 1000+ damage e-peen driven screenshots again like a few months ago, but this is between endearing and silly.

#163 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

I call this a 'LOLBOARD'

Posted Image

#164 Monlex

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostLefteye, on 31 July 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't even know what you are arguing about.....

Exactly, you might do that in the future before you make some strange out of context post.

#165 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostLefteye, on 31 July 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

he had 5 kills and 3 assists, also im far more impressed with a lower damage high kill count screen cap then a massive damage lower kill count.

I know PGI's tournys and the playerbase thing high damage is the most important thing but that just means it took you that much longer to kill someone and they had that much more time to hurt your team.

i mean what would you find more impressive someone piloting a light that was able to cockpit 6 enemy mechs and only did about 150 damage total (not kill stealing)

or that atlas with 3 kills who did 1200 damage?

#166 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

That end of round screen (low damage, high killcount) could also mean that he stole all his kills.

#167 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 31 July 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

That end of round screen (low damage, high killcount) could also mean that he stole all his kills.

or that he took them all out quickly and efficiently or from behind.

which to me is why the current stats are completely useless and in some cases we shouldn't even see them.

they should break damage out by sections hit and by damage done to each mech.

#168 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostKushko, on 27 July 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Well first off, you can post constructive feedback on the forums, but i think that has mostly been covered (on a side note, nonconstructive whining and moaning has been covered as well :(). And besides fixing the actual gameplay mechanics is mostly out of our hands after we let the devs know that there is an issue.

But what we as players can do is start battling the "oh so loved and overly fitted/abused spec" by building our mechs to specifically counter them.

Tired of the 2xPPC+1xGauss snipefest? Find the style boring and do not wish to participate in the FOT*several*M? Build an "in your face" brawler and use the terrain and team coordination to get close to them safely and unleash your devastating short range fury. Or build a fast mech that will dodge all but the most skilled and precise ppc/gauss fire.

I guess you could also "counter" it by using a sniper fit of your own, but tbh that's not really a counter (scissors do not counter scissors after all :unsure:) and at least in my opinion severely lacking any kind of fun factor.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against people that enjoy long range sniping and i don't even think its really a significant game balance problem. The problem is really about more and more people getting in to the mentality that its the only truly viable way to get an edge over your opponent. And as such, those of us that do not enjoy the style or enjoy 4-6 out of 8 on both teams playing the 2xPPC&1xGAUSS peekaboo game, should show them and others that that there are alternatives and devastating counters to predictable builds.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this, and i hope you will take an extra minute or two and also respond with your opinions. :)

See you on the battlefield!

I have a solution, do what I have done since closed beta, use skill and stop calling for nerfs just because you got sniped. I said two weeks ago after the PPC boats were nerfed that this would just be the start. Whats next weeks cry?

#169 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostMonlex, on 30 July 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

First of all, I was bluffing. That picture wouldn't prove anything since nowhere on that page is your name shown. Good call.

Secondly, a Photoshop pro you are not.

#170 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationInside a gold painted D-DC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

What can you do? Well it's not a question of what you can do, it's a question of what you will do. What you will do is cry on the forums until PGI "fixes" it like they did with the PPC boats. We know that's how it works now, and we know that Piranha listens to your cries. They will wipe the tears away, remove any need to coup with it it(as criers like to say to real players when they can't do so themselves in the first place), and fix it for you. So go ahead and get started. Next patch you're either going to see ACs added to the PoS heat scale list or you're going to see something done about PPC+Gauss combo. One or the other.

#171 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationInside a gold painted D-DC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostMack1, on 31 July 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

I have a solution, do what I have done since closed beta, use skill and stop calling for nerfs just because you got sniped. I said two weeks ago after the PPC boats were nerfed that this would just be the start. Whats next weeks cry?

I was banking on the AC boats being next. But I guess the 2PPC+Gauss has become their target first. But as we've said; this trend is only the beginning of this crap. Soon they will hit the 6AC2 Jagermechs and maybe even Mechs running 2 LBX. I like the 2 LBX; it's like a super shotgun. I never even used these other boating builds but am defending them because I'm not a biased ****** wanting the game skewed and wrecked because I can't coup or couldn't fight them. But I did like 2 LBX; that's one I liked using. Sooner or later people will QQ about that too, so it'll be heat punished if you shoot 2 at a time.

Edited by Jesus Box, 31 July 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#172 Monlex

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 31 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

First of all, I was bluffing. That picture wouldn't prove anything since nowhere on that page is your name shown. Good call.

Why should i lie about such a pathetic thing as my gameing addiction?

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 31 July 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Secondly, a Photoshop pro you are not.

You do it again, you have some prejudice and make a bold statement, how about not attacking me without any reason, cause or proof? On a sidenote i use GIMP and if you actually would make some research before chargeing ahead with bold statements you could have found out about that.

#173 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

he had 5 kills and 3 assists, also im far more impressed with a lower damage high kill count screen cap then a massive damage lower kill count.

Why? anyone can steal kills. thats all low damage high kills means... that youre a kill stealer.

high damage, low kills, typically just means your kills were stolen by other players. or you were shooting arms and legs to pad your damage score.

although kdr is a ******** stat anyway. Players convincing themselves that KDR actually matters is a large part of the problem with the mentality of the players in this game.

The way kdr should work is that you should get kills equal to the percentage of damage you did to a mech. So if you did 90% of the damage to a mech, you should get 0.9 kills, regardless of who kills the mech. Because whoever got the last hit in shouldnt matter, what matters is who did the majority of the damage.

Also... If PGI aggressively nerfs PPC+Gauss are they going to un-nerf LL, LPL, and everything else that was unjustly nerfed by the heat penalty changes? Because they really need to get that crap out of the game. It balances nothing, makes calculating heat generation overcomplicated, and does more harm than good to the game.

Edited by Khobai, 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#174 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I am fielding them! That is what I can do. I am up to here reading what everyone is saying players cannot have. So Since 2 PPC and a Gauss is legal I am fielding it. Why? Cause it kills my enemies fast & it is manageable heat wise That is why. Stop trying to make it so Machine Guns are the only acceptable weapon. We are supposed to be trying to kill each other for crying out loud.

Khobai I am more interested in landing assists than Kills. That is how teamwork is supposed to go.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 31 July 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#175 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostMonlex, on 31 July 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Why should i lie about such a pathetic thing as my gameing addiction?

You do it again, you have some prejudice and make a bold statement, how about not attacking me without any reason, cause or proof? On a sidenote i use GIMP and if you actually would make some research before chargeing ahead with bold statements you could have found out about that.

Do I need to 'research' what? Is your program usage analyzed by scientists and the results published in journals?

You named your photo "ICanEditPicturesbtw" and now are acting all butt_hurt that I have called you out on it.

Finally you could have just gotten that picture from somebody else.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 31 July 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#176 Monlex

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 31 July 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

You can obviously see the little squares around the numbers.

Do I need to 'research' what? Is your program usage analyzed by scientists and result published in journals?

You named your photo "ICanEditPicturesbtw" and now are acting all butt_hurt that I have called you out on it.

Try to open the properties of the picture, there you will see the standard "Created with GIMP", im not going to check the picture but i assume your talking about the effects of a heavy compression (pic is around 40 KB), that looks like litte squares.

But hey who am i telling that your certainly well informed about all that jazz.

Hope to see you in game, on the enemy team, that is.

#177 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Khobai I am more interested in landing assists than Kills. That is how teamwork is supposed to go.

I completely agree. What im suggesting is that assists be weighted into KDR based on % damage you did to the mech killed.

So if three people attack a mech and destroy it, and one person did 50% of the damage, one person did 35% of the damage, and one person did 15% of the damage and got the kill shot; they would get 0.5, 0.35, and 0.15 kills respectively.

What that does is make KDR a much more meaningful stat... because now it takes assists into account and doesnt reward kill stealing.

Edited by Khobai, 31 July 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#178 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'd personally like assists to be separate. I would like to see how any assists I get as well as kills. I got shot in the back for the first time trying to help bring down a Mech. I was told I stole the kill. ;) I "Confirmed the Kill" Funny part was the team mate had more kills than I did (He had 3 I had 2).

#179 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

My solution would be for them to fix lasers (shorten beam durations) and fire them in groups of 3.

For MWO to come back to MechWarrior and group-fire and stop turning the game into Heavy Gear and Hawken where they don't have enough weapons on the robots to group. It's a conceptual shift away from the oppressive heat scaling that has no place in MechWarrior.

In MechWarrior you group like weapons to fire them and the Mechs just need to be tough enough to take the damage. Breaking your weapons down into 2x groups to fire them is not MechWarrior, it's Heavy Gear, Hawken, or Front Mission styled gameplay. I hope everyone understands what a huge shift away from MechWarrior Mech functionality this Heat Scale nerf is. If not, do your homework.

#180 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Why? anyone can steal kills. thats all low damage high kills means... that youre a kill stealer.

While it certainly CAN mean that, clean kills tend to take down mechs without doing much damage.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users