What Can You As A Player Do About 2Xppc+Gauss?

248 replies to this topic

#201 FearTheAmish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostYueFei, on 04 August 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

LRMs don't counter snipers, it doesn't force them to keep their heads down. Snipers are the epitome of the rapid peek-shoot-duck gameplay, they are exposed for maybe 2 seconds, much longer than the time it takes to lock on and fire. These are guys used to competing against other very good, very quick snipers. Avoiding return fire from enemy snipers is harder than avoiding return fire from LRMs. And the problem with using spotters for LRMs is ECM. This means using TAG to even gain lock. Then even if your spotters manage to gain LOS, a lot of good players kind of know where the spotters are going to be on these maps, and can break LOS. Finally, TAG doesn't let you lock onto a powered-down mech, so jump snipers who can't break LOS on the spotter can simply jump up as the missiles are incoming and power-down in midair, making the missiles miss. If you want to target through ECM, the spotter must carry BAP and get dangerously close, as in less than 150 meters. At 150 meters, against the top snipers, you may as well commit suicide.

I feel that LRMs *should* be made to counter snipers, but at the moment they really don't.

So your saying for LRM's to not counter snipers they have to be much more peek and shoot (so staying down), Have ECM (limit the number of jump snipers). Most good LRM teams run 1 ECM atlass with LRMS and 2 stalker LRM boats and a spotter with tag. This allows them to rain on a position either causing the snipers to move or keep them down if they bounce up LRMS are incoming.

#202 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Don't go in alone. Lead with your right or left arm (Whichever side is less valuable) and wait for the enemies hit to register on your mech then turn to fire. 2ppc+guass are only scary when crossing over open terrain. They have long recycle times which gives any decent pilot plenty of time to fire and then twist before their weapons rest. It's really not that hard.

#203 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

in a pug game there aren't many options but in a premade i think there are a few options. in a premade you can provide suppression fire and move to flank of advance forward. when you are in brawl range you run defensively while attacking and your suppression become one of the main source of damage to quickly take down the enemy.

if you are not build to trade sniper shots, you dont try to.

#204 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

You have two (3) options:

1) Cry about it.

2) Adopt (note: I did not say "adapt to") the meta and employ the loadout.

3) Do the funky chicken.

#205 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

there are much more powerful builds out there than the ppc/gauss builds. the only reason so many people use the ppc/gauss build is because it is compete ezmode that any trash player can be successful with while noit having to learn to really pilot a mech.

#206 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Give all PPC and Gauss weapons a hard 200m minimum range (0 damage inside the minimum). This will force alpha-strikers to dedicate more tonnage and space to infighting weapons, as well as provide a patent counter to their (deserved) long-range supremacy: close and kill.

If LRM's didn't have a minimum range, would anyone use anything else?

#207 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Torso twist is the best i can think of

#208 Volomon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I got an answer get out the way ***** get out the way.

#209 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 04 August 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Give all PPC and Gauss weapons a hard 200m minimum range (0 damage inside the minimum). This will force alpha-strikers to dedicate more tonnage and space to infighting weapons, as well as provide a patent counter to their (deserved) long-range supremacy: close and kill.

If LRM's didn't have a minimum range, would anyone use anything else?

this is a bad solution that will solve nothing. ppc/gauss are already at a disadvantage in close fighting, as there are shorter range weapons that are much more powerful.

#210 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostDreamslave, on 04 August 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Don't go in alone. Lead with your right or left arm (Whichever side is less valuable) and wait for the enemies hit to register on your mech then turn to fire. 2ppc+guass are only scary when crossing over open terrain. They have long recycle times which gives any decent pilot plenty of time to fire and then twist before their weapons rest. It's really not that hard.

What do you do when you encounter a PPC/Gauss sniper that aims for CT (or RT/LT, depending on your build)?

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 04 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#211 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Kill him first.

#212 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 04 August 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

ppc/gauss are already at a disadvantage in close fighting, as there are shorter range weapons that are much more powerful.

What are these mythical weapons of which you speak?

#213 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostRoland, on 04 August 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

What are these mythical weapons of which you speak?

AC20 and 4-5 Medium lasers... 40+ damage v 35.

#214 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 August 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

2 uac5's and 2 large lasers destroy mechs fast as well, much faster than ppc/gauss builds.

#215 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostHellcat420, on 04 August 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

2 uac5's and 2 large lasers destroy mechs fast as well, much faster than ppc/gauss builds.

Only if they are bad and just stare at you while you DPS them to death.

#216 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I've run that and it's okay, but it strikes me as one of those short-range loadouts that PPC/Gauss can beat at its own game while maintaining multi-range capability.

#217 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 04 August 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

I've run that and it's okay, but it strikes me as one of those short-range loadouts that PPC/Gauss can beat at its own game while maintaining multi-range capability.

I won't argue this at all Royale, but it does do as much damage at short range :D

#218 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostRoland, on 04 August 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Only if they are bad and just stare at you while you DPS them to death.

lol that is completely false.

#219 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I like your way of thinking. Adhering to the meta is not always the best thing to do. Especially, if you are not very good at that style. I did something similar when brawling was the "In thing to do". I did what I was best at. Long range support fire. When I tried brawling at the time, I got beat terribly. If I got beat by someone that was fallowing the meta. It didn't bother me much. Because, I don't take gaming THAT seriously. I generally go with the philosophy of, "Run with what you like and make the most of it". It's really the best way to have fun. Even if the meta has trouble allowing it.

#220 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

The problem is that the AC20/mlazzers are going to overheat, so unless you've brought coolshot, you're going to be spending more time cooling down while taking a burst of damage of 35 on single components, vs spreading w/ lasers more due to twist and movement and imprecise aim, so on and so forth.

Plus, all the weapons the sniper brings are hitting you for optimal well outside of 270.

edit: speaking of ~270~, remember how powerful those A-1 Splatapults were?

Edited by Erata, 04 August 2013 - 12:49 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users