#41 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Welcome to MWO!

It is indeed refreshing to hear of your positive experience. I enjoyed your story, and I am happy to report your doing it right! Have fun and start dropping with a regular group, The communication and comradery really adds to the experience.

This thread has now received Pendraco's AC/20 of Approval!

Posted Image

#42 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostPendraco, on 30 July 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO!

It is indeed refreshing to hear of your positive experience. I enjoyed your story, and I am happy to report your doing it right! Have fun and start dropping with a regular group, The communication and comradery really adds to the experience.

This thread has now received Pendraco's AC/20 of Approval!

Posted Image

+1 for that awesome picture. I'm keeping it for later use. Need to make one for a Raven now.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm gonna try and keep up with doing a 3/2day system when I get to play on the weekends, where I give batrep's on highlights and put a silly spin on stuff. Everyone loves a good article to laugh at when sitting at work. Planning to try and find a Davion-ish or any group to run with in the near future. Or just stay a offbeat-casual for awhile, since my work schedule is crazy.

#43 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 30 July 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Oooooh, you just gave me a good idea. Sniper-Pigeon. I may have a use for the 4X come the time I pilot it. Though, your Blackjack doesn't really need LRM's though, you could just put some Gauss/AC's on him and just do that. Could still snipe from a distance like that. -_- Hell, if you got the one which can load itself up with PPC's, that sounds like it could be a blast! Literally.

Oh I had some er ppcs on my blackjacks early on in my grind with them, though now that iv mastered my BJ-1 I tend to prefer a mid to close range combat scenario - 89kph four jump jets, three medium lasers one large laser a couple of machine guns and enough heat sinks for quite a bit of combat. Im also a brutally unforgiving infighter, regularly smashing less experienced pilots who have bigger mechs. (A 20 to 55 ton edge is not enough for a surprising amount of pilots to deal with a nimble blackjack.)

#44 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 July 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Oh I had some er ppcs on my blackjacks early on in my grind with them, though now that iv mastered my BJ-1 I tend to prefer a mid to close range combat scenario - 89kph four jump jets, three medium lasers one large laser a couple of machine guns and enough heat sinks for quite a bit of combat. Im also a brutally unforgiving infighter, regularly smashing less experienced pilots who have bigger mechs. (A 20 to 55 ton edge is not enough for a surprising amount of pilots to deal with a nimble blackjack.)

Though, a lot of players pick the big mech's to have the "Edge" it more of just gives them more room to not improve. While in a Light mech for example-you have little to no room for error. Ever. If you mess up, it's big and can lead to your death. And failing your team.

While if you make some mistakes in a big ol' Atman, you can survive it a bit better. And don't learn very well from it.

Does the Blackjack remind anyone else of a old AA cannon? Jaegers remind me of the same thing BTW.

#45 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 30 July 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Though, a lot of players pick the big mech's to have the "Edge" it more of just gives them more room to not improve. While in a Light mech for example-you have little to no room for error. Ever. If you mess up, it's big and can lead to your death. And failing your team.

While if you make some mistakes in a big ol' Atman, you can survive it a bit better. And don't learn very well from it.

Does the Blackjack remind anyone else of a old AA cannon? Jaegers remind me of the same thing BTW.

Jagermechs are AA Units so the resemblance is not surprising

Designed as an anti-aircraft platform and long-range fire support unit, theJagerMech was intended to correct several perceived faults of the originalRifleman. While it does address the Rifleman's heat issues and limited ammunition, it does so at the cost of significant armor protection. Carrying only a miserly six tons of standard armor, the JagerMech is very vulnerable to return fire. In its favor, the long range of its autocannon, combined with the excellent Garret D2j targeting and tracking system(made famous by the Rifleman), make it a prime choice for anti-aircraft work. The range of its autocannons also allow it to engage many enemies without suffering return fire, and when stationary it is able to fire all its weapons without heat build-up.
Houses Davion and Liao field the largest numbers of JagerMechs, with House Davion being particularly fond of the design.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Assault mech invulnerability. To me Lights and Assaults are both the classes where screw ups are not allowed. In other words, they are the two classes I want the best pilots in.

Edited by scJazz, 30 July 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#46 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostscJazz, on 30 July 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Assault mech invulnerability. To me Lights and Assaults are both the classes where screw ups are not allowed. In other words, they are the two classes I want the best pilots in.

There is a lot of armor and armament's in a Assault's arsenal. Sure, their not invulnerable. But you can withstand making more mistakes-though those mistakes may alter the game drastically, they are not as apparent as when your driving a Light.

You can't stop moving as a Light, if you do, you die. You can't miss, or else you will be behind in damage and will be all that more pressed to hit your target perfectly the next time.

While in a Assault, you can miss a shot-and be behind in damage-but can more easily withhold yourself in a fight to survive it.

Everyone has their own feelings on it, I just feel a Light is a great mech to learn the ropes and what-to-do and what-not-to-do, with little forgiveness, so when you get to heavier mech's, it seems more and more like a breeze.

#47 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 30 July 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

+1 for that awesome picture. I'm keeping it for later use. Need to make one for a Raven now.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm gonna try and keep up with doing a 3/2day system when I get to play on the weekends, where I give batrep's on highlights and put a silly spin on stuff. Everyone loves a good article to laugh at when sitting at work. Planning to try and find a Davion-ish or any group to run with in the near future. Or just stay a offbeat-casual for awhile, since my work schedule is crazy.

LOL! Fair enough!

Perhaps this one will suffice until we can replace it with something better.

Posted Image

#48 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostPendraco, on 30 July 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

LOL! Fair enough!

Perhaps this one will suffice until we can replace it with something better.

Posted Image

Insta-svae. Keeping that one as well. Great job man! Really look forward to dropping with you or some of your team one day in the future! Even if we are enemies on the field-Good Hunting Sir, To You and Your Kin.

#49 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to the game!

If you have not already try joining one of the many community run Teamspeak servers. A list can be found here.

Cheers

#50 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostHelmer, on 30 July 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Welcome to the game!

If you have not already try joining one of the many community run Teamspeak servers. A list can be found here.

Cheers

Awesome, thank Helmer! I will think about joining up on a TS once I replace my headset and have time to actually play more regularly.

#51 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Don't hesitate to join a TS3 server and type "Sorry no mic, but I can listen." I've done it when my mic was busted, and people usually are fine with it.

#52 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 30 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Don't hesitate to join a TS3 server and type "Sorry no mic, but I can listen." I've done it when my mic was busted, and people usually are fine with it.

If they are cool with it, then certainly!

#53 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 30 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

If they are cool with it, then certainly!

Yea as he said, I've done it before when my kids are sleeping, I tell them I'll be listening just won't talk and I've never met someone with a problem with that.

#54 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 30 July 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yea as he said, I've done it before when my kids are sleeping, I tell them I'll be listening just won't talk and I've never met someone with a problem with that.

Then I will check out the channels when I log on next at home! Looking forward to dropping with a crew to by myself.

#55 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hello again fellow people of the smash-a-sphere. I cometh bringing a new thread for y'all to read: http://mwomercs.com/...sday-of-terror/

I plan to keep up the "BONUS LEVEL" threads over time, this is just the first installment. Hope everyone enjoys it!

#56 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Its always good to see a new player enjoying the game. I'm not normally much of a PvP player but I've been having a ton of fun in this game.

#57 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostSteven Dixon, on 01 August 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Its always good to see a new player enjoying the game. I'm not normally much of a PvP player but I've been having a ton of fun in this game.

Glad your enjoying it! You and I are opposites though on the PvP spectrum. Any game I play must involve playing against and with other players.

#58 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Overly gratuitous bump. For the BONUS LEVEL.

#59 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

The issue is: Raven with Jumpjets. RAVEN WITH JUMPJETS. THIS CONFUSED ME! To such a degree that I could only play it one match (Albeit a good match) before having to set it down and stare at my screen for a good long while before going back to my 3L.

If you don't like the JJ you can always take them off.

#60 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Oh he likes the jump jets alright - having played with him, the build may not be 'optimal' but he frequently outplayed me - and aaron - I've got screenshots of the scoreboard from all the matches we played together - and you really did well!

(and I am serious about him outplaying me - frequently a good 2-3 places higher than me in points :) )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users