#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Greetings Players,

We are currently experiencing an issue where players are unable to enter the game, becoming stuck at the "Please Wait" screen. This appears to be related to two factors:
-AMD Processor
-avast! Anti-Virus Software

In order to workaround this issue, there are 2 currently known workarounds

1 - un-install Avast! and reboot your PC.
2 - "Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling Avast open Avast, go to settings and under the troubleshooting section uncheck the box for "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization". Then reboot and you should be able to launch MWO with no problems."

(special thanks to Silvercrest for uncovering this and sharing with the community!)

#2 Donkehote

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

un install? il try it, but idk if it will work, ive totally disabled avast, with no luck previously.

il report back shortly.

#3 Donkehote

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

HOLY CARPFISH! It works! I wonder what exactly is the issue, but uninstalling avast actually allows me to play MWO again. thanks guys. Very grateful for the quick workaround.

#4 X3N2R10N

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

holy moly .. really !
jeebus who would have thought
thx gonna try this now....

#5 Wilddieb

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Uninstalled avast, rebooted, reinstalled avast, started MWO -> works!

#6 Cragger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

I like my workaround better. Uninstall MWO and play something else until you fix this.

#7 X3N2R10N

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

id rather uninstall avast ... can always get another type of antivirus, but there is only one MWO ....

#8 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'm with Cragger. Why should I uninstall my A/V to play a game. I'd rather they fix the issue than have a work around like this.

#9 X3N2R10N

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

For what its worth thank you Muggins, Niko and all that worked on getting to the bottom of this.
We are critical when things go wrong, but credit must be equally given when it is due.
once again thanks.

#10 Mr T

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

;)

Are we going to eventually see a patch to allow us to use Avast, (few days - week) or is this going to be the longer term solution? (2-3 weeks +).

Some people pay for their A/V so just switching to a different one isn't just some simple task, not to mention there's probably people like myself that use Avast for an important reason, like it tends to interfere with other programs rather minimally or is actually good at stopping virus infections.

I'd rather wait to play MWO than mess with the security of my entire PC, or pick something that will actually interfere more so with other programs/uses.

#11 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thank you Niko and Muggins and those behind the scene working this issue.

While I am glad you think you discovered the issue I hope that a better solution is forthcoming.

I have used Avast for years and never had an issue with malware or virus. I routinely double check using an online scan such as panda and others.

I know it is not a simple task to 'fix', but I sincerely hope a major effort will be applied and that a hot fix would be issued as soon as a 'fix' is found, and not wait until next scheduled patch.

I dont need to mention the possible loss of income for you as many are being blocked, but I guess i did anyway. $$$ speak.

Thanx for the find, hoping for the fix!

#12 Vernon Jettlund

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Awesome, I will try this before the next Public Test.

#13 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

It is nice to know what the issue is, but I'm one of those schmucks who actually pays for Avast and I'm not 100% keen on removing my anti-virus... do we have an ETA on a fix so I know how long I can expect to be anti-virus-less?

(Who do we talk to about lost premium time... ?)

#14 Intelekt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

This certainly needs to be fixed on the MWO side, Avast is the most stable and widely used AV around. I use it and have an AMD system and have no issues, what exactly is happening? Can adding an exception in Avast not solve this? Really confusing as nothing in the patch notes talks about changes to the actual launcher process. How did this get borked if that process hasn't changed? Is there some new authentication in place?

#15 Cragger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Exception rules do not stop it. Avast is not even flagging files or even generating logs about it. It is some process level incompatibility introduced in the latest MWO patch that only affects AMD chipsets.

#16 SantaDiego

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostCragger, on 31 July 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Exception rules do not stop it. Avast is not even flagging files or even generating logs about it. It is some process level incompatibility introduced in the latest MWO patch that only affects AMD chipsets.

+1. Only reinstalling of Avast working.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to just disable the AV software instead of just outright uninstalling (unless, disabling doesn't solve the problem at hand)?

Edited by Deathlike, 31 July 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#18 Captain Mediocre

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

D

View PostDeathlike, on 31 July 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just disable the AV software instead of just outright uninstalling (unless, disabling doesn't solve the problem at hand)?

disabling it did not work for me.

#19 Shelgeyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Uninstalled, then immediately re-installed Avast! and I am now able to get in.

#20 TheBaptist

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Indeed disabling does not work, I tried full blown disables, exceptions, turning off shields, turning off sandboxing, I just got off the phone with Avast support and they could not help me make a legitimate work around(note: uninstalling your AV is not a "fix" in the same way that duct tape would not be a "fix" for the titanic)

I have put a ticket in with Avast's support team with as much information as I could provide about our troubleshooting efforts along with links to relevant threads. I will post any functional fixes or relevant information I receive from their support team, I figure they may be able to make a legitimate fix faster.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users