#41 FallenSeraphim

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postluxebo, on 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

@Ertur and Koniving My processor is AMD FX™-8120 8 core processor w/ 3.10 GHz. My RAM or memory is 4.00 GB. Is that a bit low? My video card/graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series. Approx memory is 2794 MB and approx resolution is 1680x1050. Hope I got everything! :(

Your chokepoint is definitely your video card! My machine is just about 3 years old now and I put out about 50fps @ 1600x900, graphics set to very high. But then again back then I think I put over $300 bucks into my video card, can't honestly remember. Otherwise my system should perform pretty close to yours

Win7x64 Premium
i7 930
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
6GB Ram
ATI Radeon 5830
500W PSU

#42 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

@Ertur Got exactly 3.2Ghz with 8 cores. I think I mentioned it somewhere, but it maybe hiding due to the large posts I made.

@Greyrook Ah, ok. I might check that out then, see what I could do with the button layout.

@Gremlich John Yup, saw that screen with 800 damage. I had trouble piloting any mech in MW3/4 past days with the joystick so I stuck with mouse for main control.

@FallenSeraphim Yup, looks like it. I'm going to buy a better one soon.

#43 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

View Postluxebo, on 03 August 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

@IrreleventFish Is my graphics card the only thing hindering my performance and FPS or would RAM/motherboard/PSU/etc effect the game?
The most accurate way to put it is that right now your graphics card is the bottleneck, and will continue to be the bottleneck unless you buy a very expensive replacement. I'd guesstimate that if your upgrade budget is under $400, you'll probably get the most bang for your buck by spending it all on your GPU.

However, Ertur is absolutely right about OEMs putting junk in their machines (it's the primary reason why I always build my own desktops), sometimes so junky that it won't support a decent GPU. Before you start shopping, you should look inside your computer and make sure that it has the following:
  • A motherboard with a PCI-Express x16 slot. (It's a long connector for expansion cards with a little locking lever/clip on the rear.)
  • A PSU with a PCI-Express power connector. (It has 6 or 8 pins and plugs into a graphics card.)
  • A PSU that can supply a minimum of 450W. (This should be listed on a sticker on the side of the PSU itself.)
If you have anything less, I'd recommend you upgrade those components first. Yes, theoretically you could get away with less, but it's risky and likely to cause intermittent, inexplicable lock-ups since PSU capacity declines with age, assumes ideal conditions (hardly realistic in this age of overloaded power grids), and often grossly inflated by manufacturers (one review site found generic PSUs 50% less capable than their rated capacity suggested).

#44 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

luxebo, how much very roughly could you invest into your machine to improve it?

With the setup you got, I would say that the PSU is very low grade which is not good for your machine.
PSU + GPU alone would boost your system lots.
For a PSU I would get the Corsair HX series, if you don't mind building up your machine over time then you will need some power.
So Corsair HX850 would do ye justice, solid PSU which is really important for your components life span.
about 120-140 euro/dollars

The GPU would depend on your wallet, there are plenty of options.
For the cheapest route you got 2.
1. if you have any friend who is upgrading his machine and has graphics card left over, try and get it, your is not good at all it is for office stuff :(
2. Ebay/local advertising places, your looking for used or factory refurbished.
It can be tricky and you might get a borked one but when it works out you normally end up with a nice GPU for a cheap price.

If your purchasing then do it online, depends on were you live but I'l give ye 2 examples of places to buy stuff.
NewEgg
Overclockers.uk

DO NOT PURCHASE IN STORES - normally this leads to disaster unless you know enough to call them out on ripping you off.
If you tell people were your from, america, european... so on I'm sure there is 1 person who can send you in the right direction.

Edited by Cybermech, 04 August 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#45 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

I'm confused. His Radeon is from the same era as my GTX 260, but I'm getting a consistent 20-40 fps (15-18 at the worst of times) to his single digits. What might be the difference there?

#46 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

the 60's.... 260,560,660 are higher end GPU's, if you were using a 250 under you would notice it.
Also your ram/cpu/MB might be adding some fps too.

#47 Apocalypse Troll

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Seems I have some catching up to do....

#48 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostCybermech, on 04 August 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

For a PSU I would get the Corsair HX series, if you don't mind building up your machine over time then you will need some power.
So Corsair HX850 would do ye justice, solid PSU which is really important for your components life span.
about 120-140 euro/dollars

Are you serious?! :D
What the hell is luxebo supposed to do with 850W? Do you think he will crossfire two HD 7970 or what? Even a high-end gaming PC with a GTX 770 or a HD 7970 is totally fine with a 450-500W PSU. The top-end of the 8000 series is said to not need more than 250W as well. I'd recommend a be quiet! Straight Power E9 or an Enermax Platimax with not more than 500W.

On a sidenote, you cannot write "Euro/Dollar" when the currencies are not even close to each other. That PSU is 130 Euro or 160 US Dollar.

2. Ebay/local advertising places, your looking for used or factory refurbished.

Factory refurbished with guarantee, yes. Used ones without guarantee, no. At least not if you do not want to gamble and have quite a risk of throwing money away.

View PostHeketon, on 04 August 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I'm confused. His Radeon is from the same era as my GTX 260, but I'm getting a consistent 20-40 fps (15-18 at the worst of times) to his single digits. What might be the difference there?

That's an easy question: The 300/500 series always mark office use graphics cards when talking about Radeon, while the 60 in GTX 260 marks a middle-class gaming graphics card.

Edited by Genewen, 04 August 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#49 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

@Cybermech I've got a good 650 PSU on my computer. Should be good I believe. And since I'm cheap (I could spend large sums of money no problem but I prefer to save for those incidents that happen in the real world) I will go to Ebay for factory refurbished. (Where I got my graphics card I've right now but I decided to go cheap because most of my games aren't very requiring.) I definitely won't buy used or from a store. Thanks for the help. :D

@Genewen I won't buy used without guarantee. I've a good 650 PSU so I should be good there. I'm also from America. Once again, thanks for your help. :D

#50 FallenSeraphim

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

luxebo,

do you know what your motherboard is? It's fairly safe to assume it's capable of at minimum PCI Express x16 version 2, but if it's capable of version 3 then you can use the full ability of new cards out there. As for your PSU unless you really went cheap it should have the right power connectors for the video card.

If you're not looking to spend too much money, but enough to make it last you can get a good video card for mid $200s. I recently built a rig for a friend and I put in a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 for $260 CDN ($250 USD) and she gets 55+ fps @ 1920x1080 on very high settings. (Rig cost about $1100 cdn)

go to this link and download the program, it'll tell you everything you need to know about your cpu, memory and motherboard
http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html

edit: added link

Edited by FallenSeraphim, 04 August 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#51 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

good that all you need is a GPU.
generally a good PSU will last to 3 builds if your doing it yourself.
850 is a bit high but when upgrading over time having high power can be money saver in the long run.
Lots of PSU's are great for the job and quite stable.
You add time to it and things can change, if it ends up turning out to be a bad PSU it can damage your components.
To me decent PSU and cheap everything else is best way to go.

If your looking for cheap i believe 7770 is just a beast when overclocking. It can overclock way past where it should
avoid 7750, 8750 - the 7950 is very good.
Nividia 60's are the best ones to go for if value is key when buying GTX cards.
Since your playing low graphics games then Raedon would be a better choice.
Latest games like crysis 3 comes with heavy physics and that's where higher end gpu's come in.

Just note that this game is still only in 32bit stage, it will get heavier on graphics.
God knows when that will happen but when it does I'm sure a few tears will be had.

Also I am a cheap bum, I don't have loads of money and I have to make hard choices when buying products.

Edited by Cybermech, 04 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#52 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

@Fallen Seraphim My motherboard is Msi Ms-7693.

@Cybermech What about HD 6000 Series or is that still laggy? And why 7750 and 7850 (I think) is bad while 7950 good? Not sure what difference in some of those graphics cards.

#53 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

look you can aim to get 7770 on ebay for cheap.
technically the 7770 shouldn't be as good as it is.
However you can overclock it to crazy speeds, if you get a good quality one.
anything under the 7770 does not exist, its old tech and while it will run starcraft 2 your just shooting your self in the foot to save maybe 20-40 dollars.
You don't want old tech, so if your hunting on ebay - 7770, 7870, 7950
Its very limiting in choice but tbh I don't see any other for you.
How much you looking to pay for the GPU?

EDIT: was looking around ebay.com and it seems 7770 110 $ vs 7870 180 $ vs 7950 250 $.
Since the 7870 is 2gb ram I would go for that alone.
Means you can support games and monitors better which will add to the longevity of your machine.

Edited by Cybermech, 05 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#54 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostCybermech, on 05 August 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

EDIT: was looking around ebay.com and it seems 7770 vs 8770 price wise is the same.
Since the 8770 is 2gb ram I would go for that alone.
Means you can support games and monitors better which will add to the longevity of your machine.

Would you tell me the secret how you did that? The 8770 is not even out yet, the specs are all just speculation and no pricing policy was announced. Do you come from the future? Could you please PM me next drawings lottery numbers? I'll share with you, I promise!

Good current gaming graphics cards, from low to high price:
HD 7770
HD 7790
GTX 650 Ti
HD 7850
GTX 650 Ti Boost
GTX 660
HD 7870
GTX 660 Ti
GTX 760
HD 7970 (alternative cooling solution model, stock one sucks big)
GTX 770

Just check how much you want to invest and take what you like best.

#55 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

error corrected.

Do not get the gtx 50's anything. I have 560ti's myself and its not a problem with anything till you add in Crysis 3.
If your going for 200 dollar mark then take a looks at the 7950's it costs about 50 more but you will never need a new card for a long time.
I would not recommend you to get the Nividia's since ye get more for the price and is what you said you were looking for.
When you are doing some research there is one thing to look out for.
Nividia when they release a product its going to be the same for a long time. Some fine tuning .
But AMD products are always released with lacking drivers.
Its were they save money and manage to sell you cheaper products.
So when looking at stats and comparisons try and look for newer ones.
Older stats can be invalid by faults being fixed over time.

#56 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 03 August 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

As for the OP, I think most players feel like they can do better. Still, 50 damage per round is evidence that there's something wrong. I suspect that if you're not dying 10 seconds after encountering an enemy, you're not hitting them because of some serious lag. If that's the case, there's probably not much you can do to improve.

I started playing in January, 2013, when LRM boats could score 1200 points of damage and there was no ECM. Forget fifty points a round, I was lucky to spot a target before I died and doubly lucky if I got a shot off. I did get better, but it took weeks.

#57 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

@Cybermech and Genewen ok, I'll get a HD 7770. Seems cheaper and useful.

@RLBell Wow, must be OP missles they had in the past. I don't see many if at all using lrms now, must have been powerful if they can score 1200 damage.

#58 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

It was horrible when lrm's were scoring that high damage.
things just died in seconds, why LRM's damage got reduced.
There is still something in hit detection that is not right and is being looked at.

#59 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postluxebo, on 05 August 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

@Cybermech and Genewen ok, I'll get a HD 7770. Seems cheaper and useful.

Don't buy a GPU without reading a review or two first of that particular make and model. Not all 7750s are created equal, not even if they're made by the same manufacturer. One may overclock better than another, have quieter fans, or any one of a number of other distinguishing characteristics.

Also, check to make sure the card you've chosen isn't too long to fit inside your case. GPUs these days can exceed 12" in length and run into hard-drive cages and the like.

#60 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostHeketon, on 04 August 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I've been using this card as well, but it's been pointed out that it doesn't support DX11, so I'm given to understand we're likely to take a hit when that's rolled out. Been seeing similar performance (usually low 30's fps) running i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz, GTX 260, 6 GB RAM, ASUS p6td mobo, Win 7 Ultimate x64.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users