I'm Amazingly Terrible At This Game, Need Some Help

116 replies to this topic

#21 tuffy963

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Don't worry, we have all been there. Master driving and aiming. The rest will come...

#22 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

@koniving I see lots of mechbays. ;) Thanks for the help on the mech roles.
@greyrook Thanks for your help. :D I will have a lot of trouble with lights because of the lag but I could try some. They aren't quite my playstyle. I have to end up selling at the bare minimum after I'm done grinding the basic skills on the mech, because mechbays are something I can't afford. So lasers aren't immediate zap? Sadly, this game is plenty different from MW4 then. My settings are all at the lowest.
@rhapsody repine Center Torso aiming is what a lot of people did in the past games, though weapon's stripping or legging is still workable in this game I believe. I've been legged at least twice and many of my weapons have been destroyed are on my arms. :ph34r:
@redshift I run a Windows 7 ultimatex64 with 8 core processor. My ping level is around 130ish and I have all my settings at the lowest. I believe my fps is around 5.0 most of the time (at least that's what f9 says). I feel that my machines has come a long way, from attempting to run with xp(terrible idea, even Atlases were flanking my lagging Commando.), to being able to shoot and attack enemies. Only barely though. I think that's all the info needed right? :mellow:
@tusconspeed6 Not even 50, that's my max amount of damage, even if I barely started playing a few days ago. It's frustrating to play only to score like 10 damage. My buttons are similar to my MW4 and MW3 layout and both games I play effectively. Maybe there's a problem with forcing everything to my mouse? Because my aiming and my controlling is both by my mouse and only shooting and speed of my mech for my keyboard. If only I could set torso left and torso right for my main mouse keys and mouse wheel up and down for speed... I don't often die extremely quickly, but often times I can't hit anybody. :huh: Or at least I think I did but I didn't.
@ROJ I'm using windows 7 ultimatex64 and my fps is around 5.0 according to f9, and my ping is around 130. No laptop. ;) Thanks for Hunchback tips.
@BoPop My graphics is all the way down to low as if I got any higher in those categories, my game would probably lag out. Maybe lag, maybe I don't really know enough features, etc.
@Gremlich John I won't use a joystick, far too hard to play properly even in MW4. <_< I'll end up having to sell my Hunchback for other mechs if I want to at least check out other mechs.
@royalewithcheese I'm firing 2 at once, my arm lasers, and then 3 groups of torso lasers.
@ego1607 I'm having trouble torso twisting cause I can't put my left and right buttons as torso twisting sadly.

Thanks for the help guys, although I do have a few more questions. Is there a way to get more mechbays without money or do I have to grind and sell like that? I don't plan on spending any money, but I'm also not really wanting to run out of space that often. It'll be painful. Also, is there a way to use mouse wheel? That would be better than my arrows. Same with the torso, I would prefer usage of left and right while my actual mouse movement or left and right arrows being turning. Once again thanks for your help guys.

Edit: I see that MWO's forums and community got plenty bigger and a ton nicer. When I was playing on xp, my game was extremely laggy and barely anything showed up and when I created a thread everybody just called me colorblind, lol. No colorblind issues, barely any eye problems at all. :)

Edited by luxebo, 03 August 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#23 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Sadly mechbays are MC only, which means real cash. However, one good way to get new ones would be to invest in one of the project phoenix packages. Even with just the 20 dollar one, you'd get 3 new mechbays although I'd say that tier isn't really worth it overall. Unfortunately, you're playing in a microtransaction model which means convenience items are generally going to be real cash.

You can do a lot with the control options, but it has to be done through the actionmap XML in your user profile. This is an example http://mwomercs.com/...th-scrollwheel/ . I'm not sure if you're going to be able to do precisely what you want, although I'm not entirely clear on what it is. If it's what I think it is--swapping your torso twist for your leg twist--I would advise against that. The tank controls are not very intuitive, but they are that way for a reason. Your torso twists faster than you can turn, so you want the most accurate input (mouse direction) on the most responsive output (torso/arms) and learn to compensate with the legs. It's sort of fiddly, no doubt, but once you get your bearings it becomes pretty second nature; not to say that I haven't had times where I got my legs all confuddled in the heat of battle.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

It's true, there's no escaping the mechbay problem.

You could, in theory, enter the competitions in hopes of getting the prizes.

In the near future I'll see about picking you up for a few matches. The enemies might be harder when accompanying me, but because you're there they will still be a mix of higher and lower skill players which is where I thrive even with stock builds.

Besides, it gives me new objectives, such as "protect the ambassador."

If it's possible, we'll adventure tomorrow or the day after.

#25 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

luxebo, what kind of graphics card are you using?
how much memory do you have (system or graphics)? Your ping time isn't terrible, I'm wondering if it's a screen refresh issue.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Btw, that processor should give you better performance than me. What is your RAM (mine is 16 gigabytes) and what is your video card?

#27 Xyberviri

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postluxebo, on 02 August 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'm a veteran at Mechwarrior (played MW3, MW4+mekpak 3.1, MC/MCG, MC2+Mechcommander Omnitech and Wolfman-x), I'm suprisingly terrible at this game.

Pft this game takes all those rules any thing you learned in those games and wipes its arse with it....

remmeber this is basically a CoD version of mech warrior with what ever they could keep mechwarriorish...

#28 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

While this is good advice, don't be close minded, or accept even top players advice as gospel. Just because someone says a Dragon is a sniper doesn't mean a 103+kph whirlygig dragon can't dominate. For every Koniving Sniper is a Mr. Blastman brawler. ;)

You can change the status quo!

#29 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

@greyrook I see, mechbays can only be purchasable with real cash. I don't want to edit the xml file because that could jam my game permanently or screw up something else/get into trouble with the company. That seems to enable ability of controlling using the mouse wheel, but it only says stuff about switching weapon groups, which I prefer the home/end/etc buttons to shoot the groups I want to shoot. Don't know if I use mouse wheel for going forward or backward. I think I wouldn't risk it though.

@Koniving What MC competitions are there? I don't see any, but I'm not the best at seeing what's out there. And how much are those going to recieve in MC value? One or two mechbays would be awesome, but I doubt anyone's really going to get more than a couple MCs. Maybe we could chill and play some MWO but I have quite the schedule. I also realize something, how does matchmaking go? Through stats or battle tier/tonnage?

@Ertur and Koniving My processor is AMD FX™-8120 8 core processor w/ 3.10 GHz. My RAM or memory is 4.00 GB. Is that a bit low? My video card/graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series. Approx memory is 2794 MB and approx resolution is 1680x1050. Hope I got everything! ;)

@Xyberviri I suck at CoD, but I believe there are some elements of each game, like Arm Lock, Pilot Trees, etc. So there's some vestige but a lot has been replaced.

@Technoviking The ones that I put in the first post is just what I know of each mech previously and from experience in earlier games. I know everyone has a different playstyle and past with Mechs, so I'm familiar with everyone having different feelings about Mechs. I have a Dragon variant with that speed in MW4, but in this game, could be completely different.

Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

#30 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postluxebo, on 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

@Ertur and Koniving My processor is AMD FX™-8120 8 core processor w/ 3.10 GHz. My RAM or memory is 4.00 GB. Is that a bit low? My video card/graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series. Approx memory is 2794 MB and approx resolution is 1680x1050. Hope I got everything! ;)

Your RAM is very low considering Win8 will already hog quite a bit of it. But the real catastrophe here is your graphics card. The 4000 series is 4 generations behind and the 300/500 are not really meant for gaming at all. Whoever sold you that thing seriously scammed you if he told you that thing was useable for anything more than office jobs and browser games.

Edited by Genewen, 03 August 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#31 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

@Genewen I'm using Windows 7. I don't know if it's a difference. I could play a lot of other games though without lag, like Dawn of War 2 Retribution on high settings, C&C Generals up to Tiberium Twilight or #4 on high settings, etc.

#32 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostGenewen, on 03 August 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Your RAM is very low considering Win8 will already hog quite a bit of it.

4 Gigs is actually quite fine as long as you aren't running much else beyond MWO and Windows. I survived fine playing with 4 gigs.

#33 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Quick tips from the competitive community (lots of people will argue these points but the bottom line OP is this is what all the best players do, if you're looking to improve your game):

'Mechs:

Jenner
Raven
Cicada
Centurion 9A/9D
Cataphract 3D/Ilya
Stalker
Highlander

For some league play:
Atlas
Trebuchet

Weapons:

PPC, ER PPC, AC/20, SRM2-6, Gauss, Medium Las, Small Pulse (at 130+ kph only)

Equipment:

Endo - Always take it
Ferro - Take it when you can fit it
Standard Engines - Likely a good idea on almost anything but lights right now
XL Engines - Viable on fast movers
DHS - Always take it
Artemis - Always take it

Modules:

Adv. Seismic Sensor - Priority 1
Capture Module - Tied Priority 1
Coolant 9 by 9 - Priority 2

-

Remember, 3 SRM6 + 2 Meds on a Cent 9A or twin PPC + Gauss on anything else are going to be your friends. At present time, avoid all other equipment.

The trial 'mechs are like having both arms tied behind your back, and your only weapon a pair of wooden dentures.

Edited by Victor Morson, 03 August 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#34 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postluxebo, on 03 August 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

@Genewen I'm using Windows 7. I don't know if it's a difference. I could play a lot of other games though without lag, like Dawn of War 2 Retribution on high settings, C&C Generals up to Tiberium Twilight or #4 on high settings, etc.

Not a huge difference in resource need. Rule of thumb for both OS is that they rougly need ~1GB RAM for themselves.
Dawn of War 2, C&C Generals and TiTwi are extremely low in their requirements. I mean, come on, they demand graphics card with 128MB RAM at most! In IT terms, those were modern in the freaking stone age. Those games can not even remotely be used as a reference for modern age games. My laptop from a decade ago could run them.

BTW, lag refers to network problems. What you experience is most likely not lag, but simply horrible FPS caused by the antique office PC graphics card. 5 frames per second is a better slide show.

View PostKrivvan, on 03 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

4 Gigs is actually quite fine as long as you aren't running much else beyond MWO and Windows. I survived fine playing with 4 gigs.

Of course a lot of games can be run on 4GB, especially when you shut down any processes not needed at the time. But considering how cheap RAM is and has been for years now, installing low amounts of RAM is a silly idea and most commonly used by scam sellers whose customers don't know scrap about system specs. Just how graphics cards from the XP age end up in 8-core Win7 computers. ;)

Edited by Genewen, 03 August 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#35 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

IMO, luxebo, there is nothing to do be done for you until you improve your FPS. Opinion varies on what constitutes an acceptable frame-rate, but the absolute lowest figure would be 20fps. (EDIT: Most people would put that figure significantly higher. I would suggest aiming for 40fps at a minimum, to provide a buffer for inevitable frame-rate drops.)

The only thing you'll need to upgrade in your machine to achieve playability is your GPU, and unless you have a whacky motherboard, PSU, or case (highly unlikely), I'd conservatively estimate that it's a $100 and 1-hour upgrade if you go without bells and whistles.

View PostKrivvan, on 03 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I can confirm this. I've never seen my MWO client consume more than 2GB of memory, according to Task Manager, and tests on multiple hardware review sites have shown that games benefit very little from more than 4GB of RAM. Frankly, it would take a positively stupid amount of background software to make RAM a limiting factor, and that would create other problems no amount of RAM could solve.

Edited by IrrelevantFish, 03 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#36 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostIrrelevantFish, on 03 August 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

The only thing you'll need to upgrade in your machine to achieve playability is your GPU, and unless you have a whacky motherboard, PSU, or case (highly unlikely),

I'd not say that having a trashy PSU is unlikely at all. Bad PSUs and RAM are the most common flaws in pre-built computers. Especially with an ancient graphics card which needs ~25W at most, having a PSU too weak to support much more is not that unlikely. The OP definitely has to check that before considering any upgrading.

I'd conservatively estimate that it's a $100 and 1-hour upgrade if you go without bells and whistles.

Make that at least 120 bucks (would be a HD7770, which would be the very basic gaming card I'd recommend. I'd rather use a few bucks more and go for a 7850, which is considerably faster for the bit of cash it costs more.) and 5 minutes of upgrading if you know where your screwdriver is. ;)

Edited by Genewen, 03 August 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#37 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I see then, so I definitely need a new graphics card.

@Genewen C&C was probably a terrible example, but Dawn of War 2 Retribution on the highest settings (keyword: highest) works alright. It isn't the most modern game but it does need a decent graphics card for highest definition. Took me a while to get that working ok. I'd hope for no motherboard/PSU problems, but I might have to check that. It does lag (I'm just going to call it lag to simplify) quite a bit when I'm playing on MWO, don't know if it could be internet, but I'll say that graphics card is to be replaced. Hopefully I get my cash to go get something better (maybe 8000 series so I don't have to replace the card later.) Oh and so far, my best amount of FPS has been 20, but I keep getting drops down to around 5.

@Kriwan I play MWO by itself.

@IrreleventFish Is my graphics card the only thing hindering my performance and FPS or would RAM/motherboard/PSU/etc effect the game?

Thanks guys, once again appreciate help. ;) Before when I attempted to play this game with xp and couldn't see literally anything, people just said that I was colorblind. Might take me a bit of earnings to get that new graphics card.

#38 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Ok, if you have a pre-built system (Like HP, Dell, IBM, or Compaq) you may be stuck with a junky their-brand-only PSU (under 250 watts). But maybe not. I made sure my Lenovo had a generic power supply before I bought it, so there are some brands that don't use the proprietary PSU. But even if you do have one of those, you can get an external or drive bay PSU just to run a high quality graphics card. If you have a generic PSU then you are golden, 400+ watts are pretty cheap nowadays.
I think it's the graphics card that is holding you back the most.
Note that this is sight unseen, and without running any benchmarks.
And I second the notion that someone had that this isn't lag. Lag is a networking issue, this is probably due to hardware. Looking around, your card was considered bad for gaming a year ago. And the tech ain't got any slower since then. They are making lower power gaming GPU's now, too. I think the better ones still need 300 watts or so, but I've been able to run a 300 watt GPU on a 250 watt system for a couple of years.
The risk is that at some point the whole thing will burst into flame and I will die a horrible screaming death, but then again maybe not.

Edit to add:
It is most likely the ATI 4300/4500 graphics card that is holding back performance for you. PSU only matters because that determines how powerfull a graphics card you can install. CPU and RAM can certainly affect things, but you may be ok for those. I don't recall seeing your Hz, but with 8 cores anything around 3GHz (give or take) would probably be ok. I'm running fine with 4GB RAM and 3.2GHz, and I've just got 2 cores.

Edited by Ertur, 03 August 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#39 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

You don't have to worry about the XML file screwing up your game or getting you in trouble, they are only personal settings and are a more than acceptable work around. Just make a copy of the file and if worst comes to worst, reset it to the default. Editing this file and the other CFGs is the only way to do certain essential things like setting up unique joystick controls, or adjusting the POV (an -absolute- necessity in my opinion). But, it can be a little overwhelming if you haven't coded with the syntax before, so don't be afraid to ignore this suggestion. Eventually, we OUGHT to be able to do all of these things through their interface; just be aware that the interface is simply doing what you could do yourself by editing the file directly.

Edited by Greyrook, 03 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#40 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postego1607, on 03 August 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Wait, joystick for x,y, z? I hope you don't mean for torso twist, because that is a terrible idea, specially for beginner player.

Baloney, more than 20 years of playing the game the way I have been makes your POV fail.

X for yaw, Y for pitch and Z for torso twist.

Consistent over 500 damage on an HBK-4G says you do not know what works for me. beginner players are too scared to use a JS.

Wah.

@ luxebo - whatever floats your boat, mate. What works for me may not work for you. Whenever I am gunning with a competent team, usually 600+ damage with any of my Hunchies or the lone CNT-9A that I run with an LBX-10.

I have screencaps.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 03 August 2013 - 07:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users