#1 QuantumStorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I am just curious if this game will be followoing the usual progression of

Closed Beta > Open Beta > Live Early Access (Founders packs) > Live

I ask because I do want to purchase a Founders Pack if the game is good enough to warrant it. But Since I am assuming no closed beta just due to the numbers of people who want vrs spots available. I am really relying on an open beta to ascertain if this game is worth the pack.

Without a Open Beta I have to wait till the game goes live and am not sure if the founders will be available after it goes live.

#2 Theal Swena

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationProbably in an Atlas

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I sure hope it'll have an open beta. Or else I might not get to play it until it gets released.

#3 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

That's approximately the timeline as I understand it, but there may be some overlap across the board.....

If my system can handle it.... I'm all for the Founder's pack....

#4 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

The need to have an open beta before early access to sufficiently stress test the servers.
When early access starts so does the timer on the Founders pack's subscriptions, which means we start paying for a service. You only have to look at Diablo 3 release to see what kind of $#!@storm happens when people pay for something they can't use.

Edited by Major Tom, 12 June 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#5 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

my understanding is

Closed Beta -> Early Access (to closed beta) -> Open Beta -> Release

#6 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 12 June 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

my understanding is

That was my understanding as well.

#7 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

It is Free to play, open beta IS the release. Sure they may set a date and call it released then, but it is far morelikely that this will occur after everyone on these boards has been playing a while.

#8 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 12 June 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

my understanding is

This is pretty much it here...early access people get from Founders will come before open beta. it is also important to note that Open beta for our product means that anyone anywhere can now download and play the game it is not restricted in any way.

#9 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

So, just to clarify... to make sure I'm reading this right... people are expected to fork over their hard-earned megabux (let's face it, sixty dollars in this economy for a video game option is a lot) for Founders package/early access *BEFORE* getting into Open Beta. Do I have that right?

#10 TunaR

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 12 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

This is pretty much it here...early access people get from Founders will come before open beta. it is also important to note that Open beta for our product means that anyone anywhere can now download and play the game it is not restricted in any way.

Thanks Russ, we've all been wondering about this for a while!

#11 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

View PostFirefly, on 12 June 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

So, just to clarify... to make sure I'm reading this right... people are expected to fork over their hard-earned megabux (let's face it, sixty dollars in this economy for a video game option is a lot) for Founders package/early access *BEFORE* getting into Open Beta. Do I have that right?

No, you don't have it right. If you buy the Founder's, you will play BEFORE open beta.

#12 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Same concept as pre-ordering a game. and for this to be a "Collector's Edition" of sorts my money will be spent on this soon to be fine peice of software.

#13 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

(let's face it, sixty dollars in this economy for a video game option is a lot)

It is a dinner for two at a mid-range restaurant. It is a few trips to the movies when you factor in the cost of popcorn and a soda. It is one night at the bar if you have more than a few drinks and have to take a cab home. Seems pretty reasonable price to me.

And no one is forcing you to buy anything before open beta if you don't want to. It just means you won't have some of the benefits.

#14 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

that's pretty much what Russ said.

#15 Spartan1313

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationontario, canada

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Well usually open beta will be part of the stress test for their servers so i know the game play isnt gonna 100%. but i defently think they needed it because alot of games come release day have many problems with the volume of people click play. but i can see that comming after early access

Edited by Spartan1313, 12 June 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#16 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostEximar, on 12 June 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

No, you don't have it right. If you buy the Founder's, you will play BEFORE open beta.

... uh... maybe you should go back to whatever institute of higher learning from which you graduated, and demand a refund. Because that's exactly what I said.

View PostKobold, on 12 June 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

It is a dinner for two at a mid-range restaurant. It is a few trips to the movies when you factor in the cost of popcorn and a soda. It is one night at the bar if you have more than a few drinks and have to take a cab home. Seems pretty reasonable price to me.

And no one is forcing you to buy anything before open beta if you don't want to. It just means you won't have some of the benefits.

No, you're right, nobody's forcing me to buy anything. I just want to make sure I have an informed opinion before I needlessly spend sixty dollars. And all of those spending options you listed? Hey that's cool for you if you have spare moneys to be spending. Not everyone in 'Murica has that luxury. I'm just gonna leave it at that because everything else is already implied.

#17 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

It is expected some may choose to get the Founder's package, part of what they are paying for is access to the closed beta. That is a long way from people being required to pay for access to the closed beta. Nothing has been said either way, but it is conceivable that the server could still get kicked a few times after the Founder's package people have been granted access, allowing a few others who did not choose to buy a Founder's package into the closed portion of the beta after July 17th and before open access, whenever that may occur.

#18 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 12 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Based on that, will the founders pack early access still be under NDA? I would imagine not, but just asking.

#19 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 12 June 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

It is expected some may choose to get the Founder's package, part of what they are paying for is access to the closed beta. That is a long way from people being required to pay for access to the closed beta.

Okay. Really. I think some people are missing my point. Sorry to sound rude (too late) but please allow me to spell it out in small words.

*IF* you want the Founders package. You have to pay sixty dollars for a Founders package. Before you really play the game. At all. Unless you managed to get one of the rare beta invites. That's my point.

I must be one of the few people who actually thinks very thoroughly about dropping a fair amount of money on a product sight unseen (unplayed). Unfortunately this seems to happen all too often in online gaming these days. If you don't care about your money's worth, okay.

All I'm saying is, it seems like a silly idea for those who've not played the game. I refuse to confirm or deny whether I'm in that boat.

#20 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Sounds good to me but can i get in right now im tired of this Yellow Pending Fever I need the beta Key Cure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users