483 replies to this topic

#381 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 14 August 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

You are right about firing a rifle, but the module is supposed to work like Bilbo indicated. That is what is supposed to make it worth the GXP and Cbills. When I was new this was the first module I bought and boy was I disappointed when it did not work as advertised. Months later it is still in the exact same state.

Even "if" the module worked, you still would not be looking at everything else around you. Your full attention would be on the PIP window, not the rest of the FOV. I too am very disappointed in them just forgetting about it instead of fixing it. Back in closed beta we were able to full screen zoom farther than you can now and that was great. I see no reason what so ever that they can not add that back in as the zoom module.

#382 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 14 August 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

LOL! Really? No Really?? Have you ever fired a rifle? Ever? I would have to say you have not or you would know that your statement is total BS. When your "zoomed in" on a target your not looking around to see what else is moving around you, your only concern at the time is hitting what your zoomed in on and hitting it where you want. Loosing FOV is what "zoomed in" is all about. Just wow......................

Mechs use 3050 era computerized targetting systems. The PIP zoom, should be far more effective than looking through a scope on a rifle. Even the zoom on my 2012 era cellphone camera is better than the ingame PIP.

#383 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 14 August 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Even "if" the module worked, you still would not be looking at everything else around you. Your full attention would be on the PIP window, not the rest of the FOV. I too am very disappointed in them just forgetting about it instead of fixing it. Back in closed beta we were able to full screen zoom farther than you can now and that was great. I see no reason what so ever that they can not add that back in as the zoom module.

If the module worked as intended I think you would still notice what is happening in the periphery, you would at least probably notice movement and/or new enemy indicators popping up. That situational awareness is supposed to be the allure of PiP, but I would give it up to have a useful module if PiP is not actually feasible.

#384 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 14 August 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

LOL! Really? No Really?? Have you ever fired a rifle? Ever? I would have to say you have not or you would know that your statement is total BS. When your "zoomed in" on a target your not looking around to see what else is moving around you, your only concern at the time is hitting what your zoomed in on and hitting it where you want. Loosing FOV is what "zoomed in" is all about. Just wow......................

If I wasn't worried about FOV, I wouldn't care about PiP zoom. Take a look at how it worked in previous MW titles and show me where FOV was lost. An implementation as close as possible to those is the only reason to have a PiP zoom. Otherwise, they should just add another level of zoom and be done with it.

Also, since we do not aim down sites or through scopes in this game, my real world experience with rifles and their use has no bearing on the discussion.

Edited by Bilbo, 14 August 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#385 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostFupDup, on 12 August 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Ghost heat, ghost delay, ghost answers...it would appear that the devs prefer pretty much anything with "ghost" in it.

Ghost playerbase

#386 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

MOON BASE.

#387 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Knowing the engine limitations regarding multiple viewports I've suggested this half a year ago.

#388 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

A great movie idea!!!!

A remake of Mel brooks 'The Producers' we just switch from a stage play to a online computer game. Voila!

Whom do you think we should get to play Paul?

What about the rest of the cast?

Chime in with your ideas, don't be shy!

#389 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I like the two new map ideas and the mech improvement pass.

I don't understand the Gauss and PPC de-sync, it's only a moderately good config that managed to stir up alot of hysteria because it was used so often. It's not the most damaging config by a huge margin though, so I don't see what is being prevented. Of course I have converted my Mechlab into the, "Little Shop of Horrors", so maybe I am the unusual one.

#390 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostChronojam, on 13 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

The idea is to make it so you can crit engines, actuators, etc. and struggle to control a dying mech rather than the current situation where mechs die so quickly it would not currently matter if they added actuator crits. Without rebalancing health, nobody's aiming for the arms when they fire their long-range high-alpha flavor-of-the-year weapons.

Sounds like fun. Especially the idea that as you take (internal) damage, you slowly start losing capabilities. Critical hits (on integrated equipment like gyros, actuators, engine) would be one of the best additions to the game; not only would it make every fight more interesting, it would also go a VERY long way towards minimizing the high-alpha pinpoint-damage meta. And most importantly, it would do this by a) NOT introducing some needless, complicated, unintuitive, and frankly outright bizarre system based around spirits of the dead, and b) being immersive, and entertaining.

On a similar note, they should really also introduce some of the traditional TT heat & movement penalties. Lower accuracy and slower response times with high heat/fast running speeds/jump jet use. This would accomplish everything the Ghost Heat mechanic was meant to do, but it would be far more intuitive, and more realistic (immersive) as well. You don't suddenly burn your hand on a stove once it reaches 100 degrees or whatever, while feeling fine at 99. There's a gradual increase in pain as the temperature goes up. Same with heat effects on anything else - cannon barrels, car engines, space shuttle re-entry ablative tiles... While we're at it - increase the insanely short shut-down times as well. There's nothing fun about watching slugfests between heavies & assaults on Tourmaline/Caustic/Terra turn into ShutdownWarrior: Online. Everyone just keeps the fire-shutdown-startup-fire-shutdown-startup pattern going and it's just silly. The Ghost Heat mechanic did diminish this somewhat, but let's not go there(again)... Shutting down is supposed to be dangerous. Something you really want to avoid at all costs, always. Once, maybe twice in a lifetime should getting off that one extra shot at the cost of losing ALL defensive capabilities sound like a good idea. Currently, it's little more than an inconvenience most of the time.

Anyway, back on point. The concept of increasing a 'mech's internal survivability in order to iimplement critical damage to integrated systems, although a great concept itself, does not necessarily require increasing a 'mech's overall durability. Increase the internal structure's hitpoints, by a lot if need be; but you can also lower the armor by an adequate (not necessarily correlative) amount as well. This might seem like a bad idea on its face, but it's really not something that could be known without live testing. One example would be that, if armor values stay high on top of IS values having been increased, and everyone's arm actuators and gyros start getting locked up, meaning you can't aim for **** anymore... then what should have been a fun idea by increasing battle duration, suddenly becomes a massive PITA as you spend the next half hour trying to land a few measly medium laser shots on the enemy's torso. Boring and frustrating, not fun and rewarding. As I said though, that would require actual in-game live testing to see how it works out.

View PostGwaihir, on 13 August 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Uh.. I'm not sure which game you've been playing, sadly, but a good pilot in a heavy being focused by three other (non light) 'Mechs does not live very long at all. Unless you consider 10-15 seconds long enough I guess?

If you're being FOCUSED, by THREE enemies at once, you SHOULD NOT survive for a long time! I cannot envision any sort of rational justification for being able to survive a situation like that for any respectable amount of time, unless they are bad pilots and you're a good one(but this already happens in the game regularly).

That's a lot of firepower. If you can survive that sort of engagement for any decent length of time, how long do you think it would take to go one-on-one with an enemy? It might sound fun in theory, but I'm guessing that slowly chipping away at each others' paint jobs for fifteen minutes wouldn't be very satisfying in reality. And it certainly wouldn't give any sensation that you're carrying immense loads of firepower.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 14 August 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#391 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 August 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

If I wasn't worried about FOV, I wouldn't care about PiP zoom. Take a look at how it worked in previous MW titles and show me where FOV was lost. An implementation as close as possible to those is the only reason to have a PiP zoom. Otherwise, they should just add another level of zoom and be done with it.

Also, since we do not aim down sites or through scopes in this game, my real world experience with rifles and their use has no bearing on the discussion.

And what does "this" game have to do with any of the pass ones? Nothing, other than sharing the Mechwarrior name and name of weapons and mechs. Other than that previous MW titles have no bearing here since they were designed as single player games first with an option of on line play. Plus their game engine was vastly different then the Cry 3 engine. But, with all that aside you still can not get passed the plain and simple fact that, if you have a PIP window up your attention will be focus on it and not whats going on in the rest of the FOV. Which "if" it was blurred that you would still be able to pick up movement. Zoom modes inherently reduce your FOV and that is just the fact

#392 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 14 August 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

And what does "this" game have to do with any of the pass ones? Nothing, other than sharing the Mechwarrior name and name of weapons and mechs. Other than that previous MW titles have no bearing here since they were designed as single player games first with an option of on line play. Plus their game engine was vastly different then the Cry 3 engine. But, with all that aside you still can not get passed the plain and simple fact that, if you have a PIP window up your attention will be focus on it and not whats going on in the rest of the FOV. Which "if" it was blurred that you would still be able to pick up movement. Zoom modes inherently reduce your FOV and that is just the fact

As it stands, when zoomed in mechs can and do take FF because they cannot be seen with the shifted FOV. With a PiP zoom this would not be an issue. I also never had much problem seeing things outside the PiP in zoom modes in previous titles. I can't imagine I would have any trouble if it were properly implemented here.

Edited by Bilbo, 14 August 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#393 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm with Bilbo on this one. If for whatever reason the engine can not properly render the zoom pip as Mechwarriors have come to know and love, just give us a 3rd standard zoom level when fitting the module and move on to more important things, I see no reason to try and "fake" an actual working pip.

#394 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 August 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

I will be you $5 it'll be some weird arbitrary firing rule that prevents them from being group fired.

Because people keep pointing out to PGI that it breaks Ghost Heat. So instead of getting rid of Ghost Heat, full speed ahead!

NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN!

EDIT: After reading this entire thread I will be honest to God shocked if Ask the Devs isn't entirely canceled in a month.

Ghost train haven't brakes?

#395 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Could they not just make the PPC a duration weapon like the lasers are?

#396 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAbivard, on 14 August 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Whom do you think we should get to play Paul?

I'd be on the fence between the very worst (Rob Schneider) or someone with experience at playing someone who will listen to tons of feedback and then say something completely crazy with a straight face (Steve Carell).

I guess I'd go with the latter if I wanted it to be a good movie.

#397 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 August 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'd be on the fence between the very worst (Rob Schneider) or someone with experience at playing someone who will listen to tons of feedback and then say something completely crazy with a straight face (Steve Carell).

I guess I'd go with the latter if I wanted it to be a good movie.

Stephen Colbert. No one is better at playing a character who refuses to listen to anything but his gut instincts despite reasonable arguments. I think the ghost heat system is truthiness in video game form.

#398 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostLusankya, on 14 August 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Could they not just make the PPC a duration weapon like the lasers are?

Duration on PPC? Come on.

#399 Jasen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 14 August 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Duration on PPC? Come on.

Well, I guess if we made all the weapons act the same balance would be possible no matter what crazy scheme PGI comes up with.

#400 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostJasen, on 14 August 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Well, I guess if we made all the weapons act the same balance would be possible no matter what crazy scheme PGI comes up with.

I've played also some previous Mechwarrior games but have never seen duration on PPC. I do not like this idea, some things should stay as they are, classics should remain classics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users