Ask The Devs - 44 - Answers!

483 replies to this topic

#421 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

EA's been far more receptive to feedback and fan concerns, coming from playing Battlefield or C&C.

#422 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Regarding Advanced Zoom: Just drop the picture-in-picture already. No one cares about it. Make it a global 4x zoom and be done with it.

Can't decide how much to increase mechs' toughness? Well I can guarantee you this: you're not going to figure it out by doing nothing at all. Double internal structure, and if you're really concerned about losing weapons too fast, increase the hit points of them too.

Otherwise, nothing important was really addressed here.

#423 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

*sigh* #savemwo QQers. :lol:

Just because you decided to turn your dissent into a mob doesn't mean they will simply bow to your demands.

Go ahead, leave the game. The game has a HUGE player base and chances are, most of us wont even notice the minority of QQers you represent. That is, the people who actually meant what they said and were not just giving empty threats.

PGI has plans mapped out for the next 2 years no doubt and they are doing the best they can to implement that in the order they want. They listen to the players and make tweaks, you can't deny that, but they do so at their own discretion and they have every right to.

They created this game. A game in a franchise that has been all but dead (except for community driven projects) for a long time. Just because you funneled money at them doesn't mean you are legally entitled to get what you want. If you disagree, then leave and start your own MWO game.

I'd like to see how far you get.

Edited by ackstorm, 16 August 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#424 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

View Postackstorm, on 16 August 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'd like to see how far you get.

Considering they're starting to take action against people for off-site commentary, probably not far before they took legal action.

#425 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostChronojam, on 16 August 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Considering they're starting to take action against people for off-site commentary, probably not far before they took legal action.

how dare those evil people say something awful about pgi

#426 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postackstorm, on 16 August 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

*sigh* #savemwo QQers. :lol:
Wow, really trying hard for that white knight cockpit statue?

How dare players get together and discuss the game, coming up with recommendations for PGI. The sheer lunacy of such action baffles the mind. :lol:

#427 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

View Postmint frog, on 16 August 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Wow, really trying hard for that white knight cockpit statue?

How dare players get together and discuss the game, coming up with recommendations for PGI. The sheer lunacy of such action baffles the mind. :lol:

Indeed. Even the mere thought of PGI being in any way imperfect is literally impossible. They are gods, and we stupid, ignorant mortals must genuflect before them in all matters.

edit:
vvvv Naturally, this game is perfect, so anyone who claims to be dissatissfied with this game must be a liar, the proverbial snake in Eden. vvvv

Edited by Wales Grey, 16 August 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#428 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Somehow I doubt PGI would get behind the argument that players who are at all dissatisfied with an aspect of MWO should immediately stop playing and go away.

#429 Herald of Omega

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 25 posts
  • Locationan igloo with internet

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 12 August 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

"desyncing" needs to be clarified.

But I wonder why all of our minds jumped to the worst possible conclusion... :(

We jumped to that conclusion because of past experiences.

#430 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

#my five cents#

To be honest PGI just need to increase travel time for ppc's they were made a lot faster before HSR was in to try and compensate for how borked the game was then. Now HSR is mostly working, they may as well scale back the speed, if ppc's and gauss fly at noticeably different speeds alpha sniping at moving targets will be a pita as you can hit with guass of ppc but not both.

Anyways, back to moaning, trolling and complaining, I must never let PGI know how much I love the game, issues and all or what a good job I think theyre doing bringing mechwarrior back :(

Edited by Karl Split, 17 August 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#431 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostKarl Split, on 17 August 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

#my five cents#

To be honest PGI just need to increase travel time for ppc's they were made a lot faster before HSR was in to try and compensate for how borked the game was then. Now HSR is mostly working, they may as well scale back the speed, if ppc's and gauss fly at noticeably different speeds alpha sniping at moving targets will be a pita as you can hit with guass of ppc but not both.

Anyways, back to moaning, trolling and complaining, I must never let PGI know how much I love the game, issues and all or what a good job I think theyre doing bringing mechwarrior back :(

PPCs are an energy weapon that uses charged particles moving at the speed of light. They should NOT have a travel time at all. They could, however increase the cooldown time (and really 4 seconds for a weapon that does 10 damage to a single location is pretty dang fast).

Alternatively, I've outlined a method here to rework the PPC mechanic entirely that would essentially limit grouping them effectively with anything other than themselves:

View PostDirePhoenix, on 14 August 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Here is what you could do to de-synchronize PPCs from Gauss Rifles and/or other high-burst DPS weapons:

First yes, make it work like lasers (wait, let me explain):
- EXCEPT: Do Not split up the damage like lasers do, keep the damage in one shot, as PPCs should be.

How do you do that?

Make PPCs a "charge" weapon, where it has to build up a charge. The player squeezes the trigger, and a guiding laser activates. <lorefluff>This "guiding laser" or "pilot laser" super-heats a channel of air for the charged particles to follow</lorefluff> The guiding/pilot laser does no damage itself. Consider it like TAG except not tied into missile targeting. Just a laser pointer. Give the PPC say, a 1-second charge time (the duration of a Large Laser burn). On each "tick" the PPC barrel grows brighter until the final tick where the PPC discharges, and a bolt of lightning extends the length of the pilot laser.

No "projectile", just a beam of lightning on that last tick of the laser (a lightning bolt is not a "bullet"). On that last tick is where all the damage is done.

The pilot laser is visible (just like the TAG laser), so the target has some warning that a giant lightning bolt is about to strike (if they're not already looking at the PPC barrels getting brighter)

Viola! The PPC is now a unique weapon that still does all of its damage in one shot, but is de-synced from any other weapon type in the group because of the way it fires.

(Bonus Points if you can add in a Ghostbuster's Proton Pack charging sound before it discharges)

#432 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

View Postmint frog, on 16 August 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Somehow I doubt PGI would get behind the argument that players who are at all dissatisfied with an aspect of MWO should immediately stop playing and go away.

I know my next Ask The Devs question.

#433 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Its a nice plan you have DirePhoenix, very elegant. I just wonder if PGI have the time to devote to it given they're rushing headlong to this release thingy of theirs, slowing down the shot would be a much quicker solution.

#434 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostKarl Split, on 17 August 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Its a nice plan you have DirePhoenix, very elegant. I just wonder if PGI have the time to devote to it given they're rushing headlong to this release thingy of theirs, slowing down the shot would be a much quicker solution.

It would take them to change the PPCs to a Laser type weapon, then editing the xml so that it does no damage until the final tick of the burn, then editing the visual fx appropriately. The visual effects might be the hardest part since it would require different art each tick (PPC charging in the barrel, then switching the faint TAG-like laser into a lightning bolt for the last tick).

However, there are probably lots of other issues that could've been handled by making xml table changes where they instead they engineered entire mechanic systems to take care of the same issue (with questionable degrees of success), so I'm not sure I would expect a solution to their current solution that wasn't another weirdly contrived over-engineered system that makes even less sense.

#435 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostWales Grey, on 16 August 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Indeed. Even the mere thought of PGI being in any way imperfect is literally impossible. They are gods, and we stupid, ignorant mortals must genuflect before them in all matters.

edit:
vvvv Naturally, this game is perfect, so anyone who claims to be dissatissfied with this game must be a liar, the proverbial snake in Eden. vvvv

wow from the way you guys are acting, making these crazy accusations and requests for balance changes, youd think were were in like, a beta or something!

#436 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 17 August 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

wow from the way you guys are acting, making these crazy accusations and requests for balance changes, youd think were were in like, a beta or something!

Also apparently if you're asking for fixes you want to ruin the game or take it over. Anyone who isn't 100% behind any change is trying to kill this game according to some people. It's like people are staging "a little rebellion" instead of trying to get the game fixed.

#437 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostWales Grey, on 16 August 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

edit:

Comments like these are why PGI ignores the suggestions of forum users. You think after a straight year of being bashed, threatened and harassed at every step, turn and decision that they are going to suddenly open up to diplomatic talks for change?

Edited by Biglead, 17 August 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#438 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostBiglead, on 17 August 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Comments like these are why PGI ignores the suggestions of forum users. You think after a straight year of being bashed, threatened and harassed at every step, turn and decision that they are going to suddenly open up to diplomatic talks for change?

I was a huge MWO supporter throughout closed beta, and up til a few months ago when serious concerns about the direction of the game made it impossible to continue doing so with a clear conscience. That being said, i'm sure PGI listens to forums users, as evidenced by the recent SRM damage polling. Wales Grey was mocking the hyperbole that seems to be the norm now as we get closer to launch and emotions are running high.

Thankfully, you were observant of what he was trying to do and decided to play along in a hyperbolic ramble. I applaud you for your witty banter as you have touched upon the silliness that comes from making absolutist statements like,

#439 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Why can't they just post a gosh darn roadmap like Planetside2 and Firefall and Star Citizen and other vidgames? Y'know, a section of the website showing planned gameplay additions, changes, up to a year from now, with a little note about if it's likely to be delayed or is a priority, currently being worked on??

Please chime in with other vidgames that lay out their design plans, hopes and dreams publicly and update them bi-weekly or monthly.

Like. What's the roadmap of plans for CW???? Gosh. I don't have the foggiest. I'm not asking for speculation about what you think CW will be. We all have ideas, Ideas Guy!!

#440 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostErata, on 17 August 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Why can't they just post a gosh darn roadmap like Planetside2 and Firefall and Star Citizen and other vidgames? Y'know, a section of the website showing planned gameplay additions, changes, up to a year from now, with a little note about if it's likely to be delayed or is a priority, currently being worked on??

Please chime in with other vidgames that lay out their design plans, hopes and dreams publicly and update them bi-weekly or monthly.

Like. What's the roadmap of plans for CW???? Gosh. I don't have the foggiest. I'm not asking for speculation about what you think CW will be. We all have ideas, Ideas Guy!!

We had one, then they took it away and replaced it with the montly CDU. Now, they've made it the quarterly CDU. I wouldn't be surprised if that disappears altogether. Does anyone, apart from the devs, actually KNOW WHAT RELEASE EVEN IS?

View PostGremlich Johns, on 16 August 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

And we know what a quality game publisher/creator EA is......

To go with his direction then, Valve. No one even knows whether Half-Life 3 is coming, but nearly every fan will swear to you it's gonna be amazing. (If they don't, then something must be wrong with them :( )

Edited by 101011, 17 August 2013 - 04:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users