The Best Of Hunchback Builds

59 replies to this topic

#1 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

The hunchback is an excellent mech if you're looking for something that can do heavy damage in close range. It's a powerful skirmisher that in the right hands can devastate a battlefield even in the current meta. Stick close to your assaults/heavy and keep behind cover. Continuously tap R or whatever button you have for targeting and pick out an ideal target. If a target has no armor torso there's a good chance you can simply one shot it with an alpha strike.

If you can try to move around and sneak up on targets. You can do this with ideal cover placement. Try to figure out where the enemies are firing at in initial lrm engagements and sneak peaks in areas where their "Arrows" on the map aren't facing. This can allow you to have a better idea of where the rest of the enemies might be coming from or where you can go to do the most damage.

The hunchback may not have the armor of the heavy but we do have some distinct advantages as well as weaknesses. The first is that our torso twist is phenomenal, we can twist quite quickly and very far especially if you get your elite efficiencies. On top of that we can get a respectable speed of 89 KPH or even higher with certain builds. This enables you to be quick enough to circle strafe. Do not forget the golden rule, when your weapons are on cooldown, turn your body so you don't take torso shots.

The mantra of the hunchback is to be patient and strike only when the opportunity presents itself. You're a snake in the grass. Lay in wait until the enemies get closer, do damage, and get out.

As for armor placement most of the armor is up to you but what you really want is 46 in the right torso and 2 in the back. Everyone is going to be aiming for your hunch or center torso. The area on your back is relatively small and not very easy to hit. Usually if it is struck at all it's raked by a single laser that won't take it out. Playing properly with this setup makes your hunch almost has hard to destroy as your center torso so most games either my hunch doesn't get destroyed or if it does it's at the end of the game where it no longer matters.

This armor placement has been proven to work. The hunch hitbox is so large the back armor practically never ever comes into play.

Now we're on to the meat of the guide. Hunchback builds. Like I said, there's many helpful threads for hunchbacks on the forum but most of the builds in the original posts are outdated. The useful information you have to sift through pages in order to find things. It doesn't help that many people post joke builds or builds with improper efficiency making it all the more difficult for new players to find what they're looking for. I am hoping that this will alleviate that and the moment something better comes along I'll update this guide immediately. My only interest in this game is the hunchback so this guide will not be forgotten or ignored.

On to the builds:

The HBK-4G Brawler

This build is powerful with an alpha strike of 35 damage, excellent heat efficiency, and great speed this build has it all. This does exactly what the hunchback is designed to do and that's getting in there, doing massive damage, and getting out. With elite efficiencies you can alpha strike 4-5 times before overheating. Not much should stand before you that can withstand that.

Not only is this build high in damage but between the medium lasers and the AC20 you have pinpoint accuracy. This build will hurt exactly where you're aiming at. The reason I moved this build to the 4H is due to the smaller hitbox on the canon. Yes this same build is on the 4H but the larger hit box decreases the odds of you losing the hunch from behind while the 4H version is a bit harder to hit. This build works on both variants.

The HBK-4G Crit Seeker

3x MLas, LBX10 AC, 2 MG, STD260

If you're looking for the old 4G build I've moved it into the 4H section. I have tested this build and the dps is extremely high. You have a DPS of 6.11, have a good bunch, and the crit potential is insane. Stick with bigger mechs and let the enemies get close to you. Try to act as a body guard for one of the assaults on your team and if an enemy gets close enough unleash hell. You have enough speed to go for capture points and to run down an injured mech (don't tunnel vision i.e. lose situational awareness and run into a bad spot.) for the kill. You have enough speed to circle strafe larger mechs while putting out constant firepower. Finally an excellent build that uses all of the mechs ballistic slots.

HBK-4G Skirmisher

3x Mlas, STD275, LB10-X AC

With the new Engine upgrade and the buff to LB10-X AC comes this skirmisher. You now have a top speed of 98KPH with speed tweak. With increased speed we lose some firepower but remain rather effective. Getting in there, hitting hard, and getting out have become much easier. With 53% cooling efficiency we're also able to get in more Alpha Strikes. Stay back as usual, pick out a target, and strafe away pounding them into the dust while supporting the heavier mechs. With the increased speed you can take riskier maneuvers and even attempt base captures a lot easier now.

You can also do hit and runs (seeing a weakened target that's about to be destroyed) by moving in, getting the kill, and getting out. This build has proven it's worth.

The HBK-4H

4x Slas, 1x Mlas, AC20, STD250

This build is slightly different than the one above. It utilizes smaller lasers instead of medium. There's one medium laser on the head. There's a reason for this. It enables you to zombie at least semi effectively. If you lose both your right torso and your left armor you can still blast away with the medium laser on the head getting at least "Some damage." in. There's a reason I build the 4H in this manner. It has a powerful alpha just as it's brother above but the small lasers fire fast enough that if something is badly damaged by the initial burst the small lasers can finish them off.

The small lasers are also ideal in taking on lights better than the medium even. Small lasers will do their maximum damage with a shorter time of "staying on target." so on a fast moving target they're going to output more damage than the medium lasers. Playstyle is much the same as the one above but it definitely works.

The HBK-4H Brawler

3x Mlas, AC20, 250 Engine

This build is powerful with an alpha strike of 35 damage, excellent heat efficiency, and great speed this build has it all. This does exactly what the hunchback is designed to do and that's getting in there, doing massive damage, and getting out. With elite efficiencies you can alpha strike 4-5 times before overheating. Not much should stand before you that can withstand that.

Not only is this build high in damage but between the medium lasers and the AC20 you have pinpoint accuracy. This build will hurt exactly where you're aiming at. The reason I moved this build to the 4H is due to the smaller hitbox on the canon.

The HBK-4P

5x Mlas, ER PPC, STD250

This is a build I haven't really seen anywhere. Not exactly like this but I absolutely love this build and my K/D on it is through the roof. This build is really great for the PPC meta that we currently have going. If you use the advice I mentioned above in coming out where the enemies aren't facing you can sneak in quite a bit of damage by taking shots at them from the ppc without worrying about running out of ammo. You can fire on anyone you see and even finish off wounded targets from a distance no problem.

On the off chance that anyone gets close it still has an alpha strike of 35 damage. It can also deal with lights with it's 5 medium lasers with the ER PPC ready for the killing blow. It runs hotter than the previous builds but with careful heat management this should not be a problem in the slightest.

HBK-4P Swayback 9x Mlas, STD260

This is the swayback. I did not create this build and take absolutely no credit for it. This is a classic 4P build that works. It's best used like an assassin. Come up behind what you intend to kill and unleash hell before getting out. This build runs extremely hot but with careful control you can quickly eliminate just about any threat before bailing. Be especially careful of maps like terra therma.

HBK-4P Neo Swayback

8x Mlas, STD275

Same as the swayback with one difference. Remove one laser and add in a 275 engine. My recommended setup that works for me.. 5 lasers on mouse 1, 3 lasers on mouse 2, and Chain Fire on mouse 3. The playstyle is the same as the swayback above but with 5 less damage, more cooling efficiency, and more speed. The reason the weapon groups aboved are mentioned is because they bypass the "ghost heat" to an extent allowing you to maximize damage output. Use chainfire when you're running really hot or when facing off against pesky lights. If facing lights use mouse 1 to take a "part" off such as a leg when they're softened up.

The HBK-4J

4x Mlas, 2x SRM6, STD250

This is similar to a build most people run on the 4SP but why run it here? There are several reasons. I don't find the hunch to be as big of a weakness as everyone makes it out to be and on my testing the weapons grouped up all in one area (the hunch) makes for more accurate missle clumping. This isn't to say it's better than the 4SP variant (because it lacks the hunch weakness entirely) but it does deserve it's own mentioning as it's one of the few 4J builds that can actually be used in CQC.

The strategy is simple. Find an ideal opponent and hug them to death. Nothing more to be said.

HBK-4J Artemis

6x Mlas, 2 LRM10, Artemis, XL255

This breaks the golden rule of "Never use an XL Engine on a hunchback." and here's why we're going to break it. You should mostly be avoiding combat. Stick to the LRM boats on your team and try to avoid being targeted yourself. Just hide and keep up a constant barrage. If anything gets close you can defend yourself with your six medium lasers and if your hunch is targeted you have quite a bit of armor there. Always make sure there's a heavy or assault in range you can run to if someone catches you by surprise and remember to stick with the team.

You are not a brawler with this setup and you don't want to be caught by one.

The HBK-4SP

4x Mlas, Tag, 2x SRM6, STD250

Here we get to the 4SP. One of the easiest hunchbacks to pilot and also recommended to many new pilots everywhere. This wouldn't be a true hunchback guide without it. Very easy to use brawler with solid firepower. It has cooling efficiency, speed, fire power, and lacks the hunch weakness. You can move one of the lasers to the head, you can drop tag for artemis, or a variety of customizable options. It's obvious why this build is a fan favorite among many.

That concludes my guide for now. If there's any changes in the patch notes or any serious builds/configurations I've overlooked I'll include them. Thank you for reading this and if this helps out just a single person I'll be happy. The hunchback is my favorite mech in the game (or any genre) and I've enjoyed every variant. I've put in hours testing different builds, configurations, and more. So far these seem to be the most competitive and the strongest of each variant.

If you have builds I missed or that rival/surpass these please post them. I'd be glad to try them out and/or include them. If you have any questions let me know and I (and I'm sure many others.) will get back to you.

Edited by Reslin, 04 September 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Since I like to put Large Lasers on things, I run my 4SP with 2xLLAS+2xMLAS+2xSSRM2. With the current state of missiles, maybe 2xLLAS+2xMLAS+2xSRM4 is more appropriate. This has range and less ammo dependency over the standard build.

Edited by Modo44, 15 August 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#3 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

For the G, I have been enjoying an unusual loadout:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f633e1dfba8f8a

You have to ride the heat carefully, but it snipes well, and it's hard on lights. ERPPC's crack the armor and MG crits take 'em out.

#4 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

I have a really weird HBK-4P build that's been pretty effective for me. You find it here.

I know it commits one of the cardinal sins of running Hunchbacks by using an XL engine, but it gives it the ability to mount 2 PPC's plus support weapons. It still runs a little on the hot side, but it's an excellent mech for hit and run tactics. You can pop up and fire off the two PPC's at long range, and use the 2xMPL and 1xSPL for close range targets and lights.

With this guy, as long as you keep to cover, torso twist when taking damage, and switch up between sniping and close range pulse engagements you'll be okay. Most of the time I die to CT hits on this guy and rarely lose the hunch.

Edit: If you want a version using the STD 250 instead, you could try this one. Your close range punch and ability to fight lights is reduced a bit (the pulse lasers reduced burn time is a bit help against them), but you can afford to lose the hunch without dying now. It also runs at about the same cooling efficiency according to Smurphy, but you'll have a slightly reduced heat cap since it uses fewer DHS.

Edited by Doctor Proctor, 16 August 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#5 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'll definitely try out some of the builds posted. I also apologize to anyone checking my thread out. I had some issues with the links that should now be corrected. If there's any other errors feel free to point them out, thank you.

#6 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Free bump for an excellent guide. Makes me want to play medium Mechs again :unsure:

I also pushed the first guide to the blog: Hunchback Brawler Guide.

#7 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostBlacKcuD, on 15 August 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Free bump for an excellent guide. Makes me want to play medium Mechs again :unsure:

I also pushed the first guide to the blog: Hunchback Brawler Guide.

Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed my guide and posted some of my builds on your website. Your brawler guide is fantastic and completely spot on. I am happy to hear that my guide has made you interested in mediums again. Mediums don't get as much recognition as they deserve and most people write them off too quickly before giving them a proper chance. As long as you're cautious, stick to the pack, and play like an opportunistic predator.. the kills keep flowing.

#8 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Just showing my support for the Standard 250, Endo, Ferro, DHS, AC 20 (3 tons of ammo) and 2 medium laser build. It is really good. You hit hard, move reasonably fast, and are the knife in the back in so many fights. It's a fun role to play!

#9 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 August 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Just showing my support for the Standard 250, Endo, Ferro, DHS, AC 20 (3 tons of ammo) and 2 medium laser build. It is really good. You hit hard, move reasonably fast, and are the knife in the back in so many fights. It's a fun role to play!

If you're only using 2 ML's, are you running AMS on the mech as well? That's the build I used to use on my 4G and it worked really well. HBK-4G with AMS

Lately though with things like AC/40 and Dual Guass Jagers becoming popular and devastating at close range, which is where you need to be to use the AC/20 effectively, I've been experimenting with some different Frankenmech style builds. One that's actually wound up rather effective is this one, based off of the default loadout of the 4H with some tweaks: HBK-4G w/ AC/10 and MG's

It might seem like a bit of a schizophrenic mech, but in play it's not that bad. You have the AC/10 for longer range engagements, and then you have the ML's all mapped to one group, and then another group with the ML's plus the MG's for when the target gets within 180m or so. The AC/10 + ML's are your main damage dealers, but the 2xMG's can help with critting and disabling weapons once you've stripped the armor off.

I'm still working on it though. I've tried some things like all SPL's since their range is closer to that of the MG's, or an LB 10-X instead of the AC/10, and I'm thinking about maybe dropping the heat sink to stuff in an extra ton of AC/10 ammo, but I'm not sure about that yet. That's why I love Hunchies though...there's so much you can do with a single variant, and then each variant is so different from the others that it just exponentially increases the build possibilities.

Edited by Doctor Proctor, 16 August 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#10 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 16 August 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

If you're only using 2 ML's, are you running AMS on the mech as well? That's the build I used to use on my 4G and it worked really well. HBK-4G with AMS

Lately though with things like AC/40 and Dual Guass Jagers becoming popular and devastating at close range, which is where you need to be to use the AC/20 effectively, I've been experimenting with some different Frankenmech style builds. One that's actually wound up rather effective is this one, based off of the default loadout of the 4H with some tweaks: HBK-4G w/ AC/10 and MG's

It might seem like a bit of a schizophrenic mech, but in play it's not that bad. You have the AC/10 for longer range engagements, and then you have the ML's all mapped to one group, and then another group with the ML's plus the MG's for when the target gets within 180m or so. The AC/10 + ML's are your main damage dealers, but the 2xMG's can help with critting and disabling weapons once you've stripped the armor off.

I'm still working on it though. I've tried some things like all SPL's since their range is closer to that of the MG's, or an LB 10-X instead of the AC/10, and I'm thinking about maybe dropping the heat sink to stuff in an extra ton of AC/10 ammo, but I'm not sure about that yet. That's why I love Hunchies though...there's so much you can do with a single variant, and then each variant is so different from the others that it just exponentially increases the build possibilities.

I have to say that I've found dropping a medium laser for an ams isn't a bad idea. I still prefer the "oomph" of a third laser and not having to drop some armor but it does work. That's also something I like hunchbacks too. They're very customizable. It's very easy to give a hunchback your own unique spin without crippling it.

#11 Sobash

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Good builds, and especially helpful for new pilots.

#12 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostSobash, on 20 August 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Good builds, and especially helpful for new pilots.

Thanks! I added a new build that uses the STD275 Engine on the 4g. Check it out.

#13 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm excited to try a couple of XL 275 load-outs after the recent engine speed increase. First, I picked up a STD 275 and tried it with a couple of my classic builds (4P with 9 ML, for example), but I found that the increased weight of the STD 275 forced me to make some disappointing firepower or DHS sacrifices. The extra 6 kmph or so didn't really feel worth the sacrifice.

I haven't tried these yet - as I'm still saving up for the XL engine - but what do you guys think?

HBK-4P: XL275, 17 DHS, ES, 3 LL, 2 ML

HBK-4G: XL275, 13 DHS, ES, LB10-X, 2 MG, 3 ML, AMS

#14 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have I havI have been using something similar to Doc Proc's 4G build, but switched the AC10 for the LBX. I have been having good success and great fun with the build. I don't know if its better than the AC20 standard build, but I find it more fun. I run the equivalent on my Ilya and it has been a blast also.

#15 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostCuddlytron, on 22 August 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

I'm excited to try a couple of XL 275 load-outs after the recent engine speed increase. First, I picked up a STD 275 and tried it with a couple of my classic builds (4P with 9 ML, for example), but I found that the increased weight of the STD 275 forced me to make some disappointing firepower or DHS sacrifices. The extra 6 kmph or so didn't really feel worth the sacrifice.

I haven't tried these yet - as I'm still saving up for the XL engine - but what do you guys think?

HBK-4P: XL275, 17 DHS, ES, 3 LL, 2 ML

HBK-4G: XL275, 13 DHS, ES, LB10-X, 2 MG, 3 ML, AMS

I haven't had experience with the first build you posted but I can tell you the second one is indeed solid. It can be used without an XL engine too if you find yourself a bit vulnerable with it. Just drop the machine guns and it works. You'll also get more leg armor that way. Not trying to dissuade you from building it just know if the XL doesn't work out for you the standard variant of it is definitely viable. The LB10-X works really well with hunchbacks and is solid. I still prefer using an AC20 but I had a blast testing out the buffed LB10 utilizing the hunchbacks quicker movement speed.

If you try out the XL version of it please post your results here. I'd love to hear back from you on it.

Edited by Reslin, 23 August 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#16 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Agreed that the LB10-X builds are definitely a lot of fun to run since the latest patch. I've been testing both a STD loadout and a XL loadout. I've found that both are quite viable.

This HBK-4G is a small tweak on the OP's Skirmisher design. Dropped it to a STD 250 to get the 2 MGs in there. I tried it with STD 275, but I felt the extra speed wasn't worth dropping the MGs. The LB10-X plus MGs is a mean crit seeker when armor is stripped. I grouped the LB10-X and MGs on mouse 2 and just hold it down for some pure "spray 'n pray" action. The 3 MLs are grouped on mouse 1. With the recent torso twist buffs, the head laser does a pretty good job of tracking along with the arms, so I'm fine with grouping them together for the most part.

This HBK-4G is my crazy-person XL load-out (using a XL 255 until I can spring for XL 275). The XL lets me swap the MLs for MPLs and add a few more DHS to keep the heat manageable (although hot maps can be troublesome). I have had a lot of success with this build. Shreds lights to ribbons in a jiffy, and makes a mean close-range brawler if you're really careful about maneuvering to spread damage. I recently finished an assault match on Alpine with 700+ damage and 3/4 kills using this build. The last kill of the match was a fresh Atlas that I soloed from start to finish (granted, he was a sniper build - he kept overheating, and couldn't hit me as I circled round about). Note that this was on Alpine with a close-range build, so I didn't even fire a shot until the last 1/3rd of the match. All in all, I'm very pleased with its performance, even though the XL can be a definite liability at times.

Edited by Cuddlytron, 24 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#17 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

Note: I meant to say 3 Medium lasers + AC20, not 2 Medium Lasers + AC20. I just can't type, apparently!

Thanks for the interesting notes regarding using an AC10 on the Hunchback-4H. I've also heard the LBX-10 getting some use since it's been buffed recently.

Anyway, I love the Hunchback. It can do so much, and regardless of weapon preference, there's a Hunchback chassis for you.

Edited by oldradagast, 26 August 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#18 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 26 August 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Note: I meant to say 3 Medium lasers + AC20, not 2 Medium Lasers + AC20. I just can't type, apparently!

Thanks for the interesting notes regarding using an AC10 on the Hunchback-4H. I've also heard the LBX-10 getting some use since it's been buffed recently.

Anyway, I love the Hunchback. It can do so much, and regardless of weapon preference, there's a Hunchback chassis for you.

Indeed, which is one of the best aspects about the hunchback and why I'm so quick to recommend it to newer players. It also doesn't take much time to learn either. So how has everyone's LBX10 AC variants working out? Now that it's out of the "new shiny" phase do you still think it's a great addition or no? So far I still find the build to perform admirably and it definitely holds it's own.

#19 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 August 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Also my favorite build to run on my hunchbacks. Have not tried the three medium laser one due to me loving the 260 std engine (even though it may not make a huge difference I just can't live without it!)

EDIT: Also great hunchback guide for newbies or people wanting to use the hunch! Got caught up looking at the builds and comments and forgot to mention that.

Edited by luigi256, 29 August 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#20 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostReslin, on 29 August 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Indeed, which is one of the best aspects about the hunchback and why I'm so quick to recommend it to newer players. It also doesn't take much time to learn either. So how has everyone's LBX10 AC variants working out? Now that it's out of the "new shiny" phase do you still think it's a great addition or no? So far I still find the build to perform admirably and it definitely holds it's own.

The new, fun build: Standard 250, DHS, Endo, Ferro, LBX10, 2 machine guns, and 3 medium lasers is a blast! While it doesn't have the immediate "lots of damage in one spot" of the AC20 build, it keeps up a steady stream of bullets on target and has high crit chances and more ammo for longer games. Managed to get over 700 damage with 4 kills in it once this past week, which is nuts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users