The Best Of Hunchback Builds

59 replies to this topic

#21 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 30 August 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

The new, fun build: Standard 250, DHS, Endo, Ferro, LBX10, 2 machine guns, and 3 medium lasers is a blast! While it doesn't have the immediate "lots of damage in one spot" of the AC20 build, it keeps up a steady stream of bullets on target and has high crit chances and more ammo for longer games. Managed to get over 700 damage with 4 kills in it once this past week, which is nuts.

This build is so good I included it in my main post under the 4G. The only difference is I found a STD 260 engine worked better than the standard 250. It's the same build with no additional changes except for more speed. Thank you so much for posting this build and this is exactly the stuff I'm looking for in my thread. You provided an excellent contribution to the community.

#22 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

My HBK of choice?

the HBK-4G(F)

My results? I was the high scorer in the below example match as well. (I've gotten up to 800 points of damage with this mech and config and with a STD 215 to boot.)

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 01 September 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#23 Scav3ng3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Here is my Hunchback 4-G build, cause this thread is lacking some AC/20 builds.

With speed tweak, this build puts the Hunchie at a blazing 90 KPH with an AC/20, with almost max armor, with 4 tons of ammo, a medium laser in the arm that doesn't have the AC, and a medium laser in the head so you can zombie.

IMO speed is the key to playing a good skirmish AC/20 Hunchback, it allows you to move in and out of enemy lines quickly, and out manuver the heavier mechs that you are unloading your AC/20 into. I have also noticed that due to it's speed, heavier slower mechs will ignore you in favor of shooting at slower targets they don't have to track, adding to the 'Mechs survivability and over all damage output.

The build runs cool enough that the 10 engine DBL Heatsinks are enough to keep you cool, and the 2 medium lasers work well when you don't have a shot with the AC/20, or for when you have a good enough shot to unload your AC/20 and lasers on the same mech section for a 30 point alpha.

Anyway, just my 2 cents for the best of hunchback builds thread!

#24 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I was going to create a thread on these builds but I was a bit lazy. I already posted them in another thread I started with a month ago when I was new. I honestly only planned these builds and only tested the first 4g, 4j, and 4p build, don't know about the rest. Any benefits/disadvantages in them? Thanks for the help!

Edit: Fail links are fail, I had to quickly post this so I'll just say here: http://mwomercs.com/...lp/page__st__80

Another person says that my builds need redoing because of lack of DHS and Endo Steel but I'm sorta still planning out these builds and they aren't really serious.

Go down a bit and you'll see 10 links. Sorry, didn't have enough time to relink everything.

Edited by luxebo, 03 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#25 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Cant acess your links luxebo.

#26 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

The thread has been updated. I've added a few more builds to the list. Again, thank you everyone for the feedback. :( Continue posting builds and I'll get right to checking them out.

#27 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

The changes in PPC (increased heat and slower speed) may have nerfed the HBK 4P 1 ERPCC + 5 MLas, I ditched one of the medium lasers for one extra heat sink.

#28 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

For me, this is the ultimate 4P:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55faac831082f20

Std 270, 9 MLas, 18 DHS.

My KDR is now 2.2, and I've had matches where I've been last man standing, with 6 kills and over 700 damage.

Edited by RavensScar, 04 September 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#29 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Ok, posting my builds.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a57213d16c3bed (HBK4G)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bdf8c037aa51725 (HBK4G)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f12fa66f5a0a9a (HBK4H)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a80d10256ff708 (HBK4H)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17e28308c248e5d (HBK4J)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea7d4ad4ff20c46 (HBK4J)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a5e43035525965 (HBK4P)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ad6c59b149721e (HBK4P)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5eabb12e509a70e (HBK4SP)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d8356c7c685669d (HBK4SP)

#30 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

How's my "Halfback4SP" build?
I've got a thing for symmetry on my Mechs, so I'm kind of hoping they offer a Hunch with the Laser mounded DIRECTLY over the head like a horn...

YOU SHALL FEAR MY LASER FACE!!!

Edited by Whiteagle, 04 September 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#31 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostWarWise, on 04 September 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

The changes in PPC (increased heat and slower speed) may have nerfed the HBK 4P 1 ERPCC + 5 MLas, I ditched one of the medium lasers for one extra heat sink.

Ditching a laser for a heatsink really helps the build. Although, with elite mastery it still works as is but it does require more heat management control.

View Postluxebo, on 04 September 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

A lot of your builds are running engines that are too small and your builds would benefit from ditching the standard heat sinks in favor of double heat sinks. This will increase it's speed, mobility, cooling efficiency, and dps.

View PostWhiteagle, on 04 September 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

How's my "Halfback4SP" build?
I've got a thing for symmetry on my Mechs, so I'm kind of hoping they offer a Hunch with the Laser mounded DIRECTLY over the head like a horn...

YOU SHALL FEAR MY LASER FACE!!!

My only concern with your build is that the standard 200 engine is a bit slow for this meta. Perhaps you can try moving things around/changing things up in order to give it a bit more speed? Just my 2cents.

Edited by Reslin, 05 September 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#32 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

I realize that DHS and better speed is optimal, but they cost millions to get. What about my weapon choice, is a good, bad, etc? I didn't really plan out these builds too well and didn't give myself too much of a budget on this, so those were my last selections. I'll retinker them when I get a chance.

#33 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Find the hunchback you want to keep and only upgrade it.

Ive been playing the 4SP without any upgrades just to get elite level in it. Once i do that Im selling it. Nonetheles, the other two I have are fully upgraded.

#34 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

I already have the 1st 4g, 4j, and 4p. I'm just thinking on the other builds, haven't tried them so I thought the forum dwellers would take a look at them and see which one's suck and which one's don't. DHS and Engine is expensive, so I personally doubt I'm going to get either in my Hunchback plan builds.Plus, it's okay for myself to be slow. Heat efficiency could depend on the build, and most don't really need DHS. I'm almost at master in 4g, 4j, and 4p.

#35 TheGunKnows

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationJapan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 01 September 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

My HBK of choice?

the HBK-4G(F)

My results? I was the high scorer in the below example match as well. (I've gotten up to 800 points of damage with this mech and config and with a STD 215 to boot.)

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

I would move the ammo from the torso to the legs. Other than that. Looks pretty much like my build. I have one more medium laser and one less ammo for the AC.

#36 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

I just came here to say this: There are few mechs that i fell completely and irreparably in love, after a few matches in them, even with stock equipment, and upgrades just made them better. Those are: CPLT K2, JM6 DD, CN9 AL, STK 3F and finally the HBK 4SP.

It's such an insanely good striker, move in, hit hard, draw the enemy's attention, scamper out at lightspeed, and then the rest of the strikers or fast brawlers hit them while they are vulnerable. it excels so much in its role precisely because of its speed and symmetry, it can afford to take withering amounts of punishment, and still be effective, its the centurion of the HBK chassis, with the added benefit of not being completely gimped in the even of losing an arm.

Just have to think that instead of having those shield arms to protect you, you have half size hunchs, with the added benefit that when destroyed, damage transfer is at half rate.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40951e71dd3a79c

That is my personal ride. by the nature of the 4SPs hardpoints, there is not a lot a posibilities for it, but you can optimize the build according to your playstyle and agressiveness. Exchaged the SRM6s for SRM4s to gain an extra ton of SRM ammo.
Max engine because strikers love speed, its hilarious when you alpha an enemy lance they have no idea where you are, because of speed and waving in and out of buildings. in my mind the 4sp is the real 'urban combat' hunchback, since the 4G just needs good positioning and patience, since its more of a team player.

The 4sp is to be piloted more like an overgrown light. play it like a wildcard: it's not the stats that matter, its what you do with it.
Keep the enemy occupied and on your tail, almost there, but never shooting at you. never go into the open without support, you have no long range weapons and arguably your most important weapons are your speed and agility, and the sustainability of that 41 point alpha. Get in, punch in armor, get out. Rinse, repeat. Annoy the hell out of everyone.
The damage adds up really quickly, and soon you will be facing a bunch of enemy mechs with exposed internals, which your arm lasers are perfect to surgically remove.
It's surprising how many mech builds used in the current meta require XL engines, so don't be afraid to go against mechs that should by all means, stomp you. Victors, Jagers (not the ac20 ones, you don't have the armor to stand up to one of those in a duel) and Stakers if you can get into 60< meters and stay out of their cone of fire.
Worse comes to worst, you have the speed to break off, and you can sacrifice a side torso but still end up alive to contribute to the team.

Be the first one to harass, catch the enemy with their proverbial pants down, while they're still setting up the fire line, let them eat a few srms in the face.

Edited by Kurkotain, 08 September 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#37 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

If my computer could handle MWO, I'd check to see if my Long Ranged sniper could be still viable.
It had a singular Gauss Rifle and two Large Lasers. I do remember the engine being fairly small, just enough to pull it up to 60.5kph.
It had ample Armour and enough DHSs to make sure I wouldn't blow myself up in a fireball.

#38 D1al T0ne

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

I absolutely wreck things with my Founders 4G Hunchie. The trick to playing a Hunchie, or most mediums for that matter, is to never be the first thing the enemy sees.

Players in this game have extreme tunnel vision for some reason, they focus hardcore on the first thing they see until it dies, so make sure that the first thing they see is anything but you, and then pop in and out of cover and hit them with that giant cannon.

If your Atlas is facing off against another atlas and you can safely flank, then get behind that sumbitch and shred his rear armor. That's exactly what I did to a victor in the fight posted below. I chewed his rear armor to pieces while he failed to kill a friendly atlas in front of him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

Question: with the 4SP's lack of a hunch, are XLs an acceptable risk when running a 4SP?

#40 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostTychoTheItinerant, on 14 September 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Question: with the 4SP's lack of a hunch, are XLs an acceptable risk when running a 4SP?

It doesn't really lack a hunch. Sure, it's smaller, but it's still there. And it can be hit from behind just like other hunchies. The way I see it 4SP is actually the last HBK you wanna try for an XL. Because of the hardpoint symmetry, you are still very effective after losing one side torso. While with other HBK's you might as well be dead after losing your right torso so in a way XL suits them. Not that I use XL in any of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users