- - - - -

I'm Amazingly Terrible At This Game, Need Some Help

116 replies to this topic

#81 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostJakeEDogge, on 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Understand the sentiment exactly. LRMs seem to be rediculously over-powered making brawlers useless, even if my Stalker gets in close its pretty much trashed already and then gets cored in maybe 5 seconds. I'm not sure if it's me that sucks or the game.

Nope, that's you. If you try to approach a dug-in enemy across open field, you cannot be surprised when you get your behind handed to you by LRMs or Snipers. LRMs are not hard to deal with. Use cover, stick to your ECM mechs if you have em, have your fast mechs either chase down their spotter or flank around the enemy and distract them. There are a lot of options. Most maps offer more than enough covered routes to approach enemy forces without being rained upon like crazy. Equip AMS - only three mechs with them who are relatively close to each other can neutralize pretty much all LRMs unless the enemy has several missile boats all firing at the same time.

If I quit out of a game before it ends I have no idea what the result is. I have no way of finding out how well I've been doing.

Oh really? Then what is this?
Spoiler

By the way, since you are a new player, quitting a match early should not be what you are doing. Pick a teammate to spectate (ideal would be somebody playing the same role as you - brawler, missileboat, scout, whatever you want to be able to do well) and watch what he is doing. It is the best way to see and learn how veterans play, so you can become a good player as well.

And well, that is the point of having throttle decay on: when you are not pressing W or S, you don't move. Technically, you are not controlling your mech while typing, so of course you will stop. Either deactivate it or deal with it. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Edited by Genewen, 14 August 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#82 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Unfortunately, I cannot truly understand your fustration, as I am still saving up for the computer I want/need in order to play this game.

However, if you stick with this game, and I hope you do, you have to realize that brawlers do have to wait at least a bit in order to fight. From what I have read and seen in various YouTube videos, you cannot rush the enemy. Frontal assaults will get you killed fast. Wait for some other guy to go first to draw their aggro and then go for the kill.

Another thing to consider, due to all the boating that Stalkers got before the Heat Nerf your mech might still be considered a high priority target. So having a buddy to help divert incoming fire is really advisable.

Edited by Johnny Marek Summers, 14 August 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#83 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Genewen and Johnny for added info and clarification. :P

#84 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

So, I've got a few new questions after doing decently well in some games over the past week after getting my computer up to date. I'm at elite status right now for my 3 Hunchbacks (4p: 8 med lasers and added ammo with no small laser, 4j: lrm 20 with 3 med psl lasers, standard 220 engine, and endo steel, and 4g: ac20 and 2 med lasers with AMS and ammo for ac20.) I'm going for master very soon. I don't feel like doing all the calculating, is there a program/way besides having to do all the math on selling parts and mechs? I probably won't do it too soon for a new set of 3 mechs (I decided leaving the 4th slot open would be a good idea for reference on which mechs have what and etc.) I'm leaning toward some of the trial mech base chassis due to heavy credits/xp there (Raven, Cicada, Catapult, and Victor.) My Victor has like 14000 xp and I don't think it's play style is bad! Also, is there a guide on map strategies or anything on maps? I tried the wiki but barely anything is written there and certain maps (Mainly Tourmaline Desert) I've some trouble with. Last question, I feel that Hunchback 4g is a bit experimental, sometimes I can poke my head out and murder 5 guys in a row (The last game I just had I scored almost 500 damage and killed 2 lances of mechs), but sometimes I die in the first three minutes doing 40 damage and getting one shotted before even hitting critical damage. Thanks for the help in the past week, I like the friendly community here. :P

#85 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 14 August 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

However, if you stick with this game, and I hope you do, you have to realize that brawlers do have to wait at least a bit in order to fight. From what I have read and seen in various YouTube videos, you cannot rush the enemy. Frontal assaults will get you killed fast. Wait for some other guy to go first to draw their aggro and then go for the kill.

In competitive play, brawlers eventually do have to rush, but they have to be aware of their surroundings, working with the sniper team (so that they can move up right behind the brawlers), and the brawlers most importantly need to push together. It's hard to shut down a pack of angry Centurions before they're on top of you.

In PUG games, a lance of brawlers can do very, very well, also. Your problems start happening when you're lone wolfing. You can't really rush in if you're in a brawler without other brawlers for support.

All that said, even in major games you still have to time the rush, and chose the angle / position from which you rush carefully. Don't be a Leroy Jenkins.

#86 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postluxebo, on 18 August 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

So, I've got a few new questions after doing decently well in some games over the past week after getting my computer up to date. I'm at elite status right now for my 3 Hunchbacks (4p: 8 med lasers and added ammo with no small laser,

This pushes 2 medium lasers over Ghost Heat, your 4P cook off way hotter than it should.

4j: lrm 20 with 3 med psl lasers, standard 220 engine, and endo steel, and

A single LRM/20 is a really bad choice at present, because AMS will utterly obliterate it. Med Pulse are slightly lack luster.

4g: ac20 and 2 med lasers with AMS and ammo for ac20.)

While the Hunchback isn't nearly as good as the Centurion, this one is decent.

I'm going for master very soon. I don't feel like doing all the calculating, is there a program/way besides having to do all the math on selling parts and mechs?

Yep! It's called SMURFY and it's extremely useful.

I probably won't do it too soon for a new set of 3 mechs (I decided leaving the 4th slot open would be a good idea for reference on which mechs have what and etc.) I'm leaning toward some of the trial mech base chassis due to heavy credits/xp there (Raven, Cicada, Catapult, and Victor.) My Victor has like 14000 xp and I don't think it's play style is bad!

I'd really recommend you try a Centurion if you want another medium and a Highlander if you want another assault. I actually wrote a newbie guide recently you can find here that addresses much of what you've talked about, I think you might find interesting.

Also, is there a guide on map strategies or anything on maps? I tried the wiki but barely anything is written there and certain maps (Mainly Tourmaline Desert) I've some trouble with.

I've yet to read a good one; primarily because as far as map usage goes, there's no consensus. Even at the most competitive levels of the game, everyone has their own ideas.

While the Testing Grounds are entirely broken for weapons testing (the numbers aren't right) they are really great to fire up and look around the maps in though. I'd recommend if it you want to look at the maps in more detail without being shot at.

Last question, I feel that Hunchback 4g is a bit experimental, sometimes I can poke my head out and murder 5 guys in a row (The last game I just had I scored almost 500 damage and killed 2 lances of mechs), but sometimes I die in the first three minutes doing 40 damage and getting one shotted before even hitting critical damage. Thanks for the help in the past week, I like the friendly community here. :P

In more casual play how much damage you do can often be tied to how much you are ignored. An AC/20 will do incredible damage if left unchecked.

However the Hunchback is a poor chassis primarily due to it's gun pod. That giant shoulder pod of yours is hittable from every direction and counts as RT every time. Thus almost everyone will immediately target and go for that weapons pod with everything they have, coring your 'mech quick. This is also why the 4SP is viewed as the best Hunchback, as it trades the one huge pod for two very small ones.

#87 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm at elite status right now for my 3 Hunchbacks (4p: 8 med lasers and added ammo with no small laser, 4j: lrm 20 with 3 med psl lasers, standard 220 engine, and endo steel, and 4g: ac20 and 2 med lasers with AMS and ammo for ac20.) I'm going for master very soon.

You have Hunchbacks, and not a 4SP??? I thought all Hunchback enthusiasts had the 4SP! Maybe you should consider it. I think the symmetry of it goes a long way toward making it user-friendly.

It's also the one that only loses 50% of its firepower when one torso gets blown off. The others lose nearly all of their firepower when the hunch gets blown off. People see it and either consider it a target of opportunity, or they go "OMG he has AC/20 kill it!!!!!!!!!"

I decided leaving the 4th slot open would be a good idea for reference on which mechs have what and etc.

You mean to see their hardpoints and default equipment?
There's a wiki that has that laid out, graphically, and I find it very helpful:
http://mwo.gamepedia...taphract_CTF-1X

^ This link takes to you to a page for a specific mech, but you can scroll down to the BattleMech Hardpoint List or the Chassis Attribute List to see info for a lot of mechs at once.

For example, if you want to see hardpoints for the different Victors, you go to the right of the BattleMech Hardpoint List (after all the ads have loaded and everything settles down) and on the line for Assault Battlemechs you go to the right and click "show".

It shows weapon hardpoints color-coded by type, and also which mechs have an ECM hardpoint, and which ones have a 2nd AMS hardpoint.

If you do the same for the Chassis Attributes List, you can find info such as the minimum and maximum engine sizes, range of motion for torso twist, or range of motion for the arms. It also tells you the purchase price of each mech.

I don't know if you've tried Smurfy's Mechlab, but it can also show you the stock configuration for each mech. If you use the pulldown menu on the left to select a mech, it will show you an empty chart for that mech. But, then you go to Tools at the upper right, and on that pulldown menu there's a tool to Load Stock Loadout. It will fill in the mechs default weapons, ammo, armor...everything you wanted to know.

I find that much easier than looking at mechs in the mech bay.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 18 August 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#88 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

@Victor Morson I personally like all three mechs; 4p has pretty good heat management, although after a while in maps like terra therma or caustic valley I may be running a bit hot. Others have said about small lasers, but I think that med lasers are more powerful and isn't terribly overheating. A lot of people also recommend an extra laser, but I personally don't know how hot it's going to be. I've ran in much hotter in MW4, Supernova with 8 Er Large Lasers. 4j I target the trial mechs without AMS or other mechs I see without AMS around. Med pulse are for lights flanking. 4g is probably what I'm going to use for the most part with ac20, the Yen-Lo Wang needs mc, but I see it has a few advantages compared to the Hunchie.
I did see Smurfy before but I never knew how to load the variant until Liquid mentioned it was under tools. Thanks! While it does help calculating, I wish there was a way to determine exactly how much I would recieve after selling so I can figure exactly how much for the next set of three mechs for mastering.
I might try Centurion or Highlander due to my experiences facing against them in MWO and previous games (Well actually Centurion in MW4 was hard to use due to it's humanlike giant structure). I only used the trial Victor and I'm pretty pleased with the amount of killing it does. Thanks for the advice. :)

@Liquid Leopard Thanks for link to the wiki and Smurfy tool button. I knew of Smurfy but not the tool to get the original config of the mechs. I'll probably keep a 4th slot just to see market. Better to keep than not since I don't want to purchase more mechbays at least of now. 4sp I might consider but since I'm close to getting ready to sell and then picking up a different chassis, I don't know. Maybe 4p as well. I'm thinking of simply mastering each chassis (means three variants) and then getting all the little remainders. Thanks for the help as well. :blink:

#89 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Now with the new update (I haven't actually played a match due to lack of time but some training grounds real quick), 3rd person view is very weird in some mechs but advantageous in others. I personally think that disadvantages aren't worth it until maybe you end up getting ambushed by a spider or something, as strafing is easier (or circling or whatever you call it). For example Catapult is terrible with 3rd person view, and some other mechs are also really bad with it. So disadvantages are: no minimap, no lance command, red drone on your head, no arms lock, and is that all of them? I know it's to balance the amount of sight seeing and mainly for beginner players (like I was a week ago.) Besides that, what is hardcore mode and how can I access that? Is there no 3rd person view or something like that? Lastly, I know Terra Therma is supposed to be now balanced but I really don't know how firing a pair of medium lasers bring my heat to 50 and then AC20 to about 90, that's a ton of heat! Really restricts on the heat and firing weapons. Just a bit more clarification due to new patch, some changes are a bit awkward. Thanks!

Edit: indeed, ballistics are pretty badass. Only problems would be ammo shortage/explosion and the tonnage on some of those weapons.

Edited by luxebo, 20 August 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#90 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

All i can say is dont give up on ballistics.. .they are the boss! :P

#91 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Just a quick question, what happens when you click the sell button of a mech (as in would it give you how much you would earn back, a confirmation, or anything?) Also, I know that the game is finally getting out of beta, but is there a patch confirmed to at least change trials? Or are we stuck with the latest trials still? Has there ever been a list of trials that ever have been out there (I'm asking this because there seems to be a really bad selection and not many different types of mechs are actually placed in trials. In fact, I think the only heavy trial I've ever seen is the Catapult.) Lastly, is there a map guide of sorts at all out there? Still tinkering with some of the maps and all too often everybody dies in the first few minutes because they charged down the main road/area without cover. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

#92 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

There is a confirmation. Strip everything off of the mech before you sell it.

https://mwomercs.com...//img/heatmaps/

You might find those maps amusing.

You can of course always go into Testing grounds and explore.

And then there is Smurfy

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...peaks&m=assault

Funny how we keep coming back to Smurfy isn't it?

GAH IMPORTANT EDIT!!!
If you strip all the stuff off of a mech and sell it you might not be able to view that stuff to sell it afterwards.

For instance if you only have 2 mechs a Jager and a Catapult A1... strip the ballistics and energy off of the Jager you won't be able to SEE/SELL any of them when you click on the Catapult because A1's only have missiles. This gets fixed in UI2.0 which we should see soon!

Edited by scJazz, 02 September 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#93 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Don't sell your mechs. You gave very little cbills in return for it - and ensure it's empty. You never know in the future if they will be useful / over-powered etc..

Secondly, use smurfyto plan your mechs... http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Thirdly, join a team like HHoD who have a good training program to teach you! I did and it make learning the game a lot quicker and a lot less frustrating!

Lastly, watch streams and videos to get better!

#94 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the help scJazz, didn't know about heatmaps. UI 2.0 looks better than what's available now. Also, would adding all the mechs I'm going to sell and divide half show correct value? (Smurfy)

MavRCK, I'm selling mechs because of the limit of mechbays. True I run some risk, but it's fine as long as the trials don't suck super terribly (I mean some variant that's just unusable, like as far as I can see, Spider 5D, Blackjack 1X, or Cataphract 4x.) I've quite a lot of time so grinding is easy, but cautious about the real life events, so I'm probably not going to spend huge amounts of cash on the game. The fact that each mechbay is more than a buck, too much for my taste. Especially if I want to get each mech variant, and then that would lead to Hero Mechs/Champion Mechs. Possibly meaning this game would price as high as 200-300 bucks. (About 70-80 mechbays and 10 bucks a hero with 18 heroes.)

I use Smurfy a lot. I already have planned out 10 builds even though they are all on Hunchbacks. Videos and Team-training, I will get better with them. Already am in a group of dudes (friends that I already had playing the game, I just never really owned an account before this, only playing on other dudes accounts.) Anyway, thanks for the help.

Also, the ten builds that I planned but not really seriously. I think they would work but I never actually tried them, so...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a57213d16c3bed (HBK4G)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bdf8c037aa51725 (HBK4G)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f12fa66f5a0a9a (HBK4H)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a80d10256ff708 (HBK4H)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17e28308c248e5d (HBK4J)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea7d4ad4ff20c46 (HBK4J)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a5e43035525965 (HBK4P)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ad6c59b149721e (HBK4P)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5eabb12e509a70e (HBK4SP)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d8356c7c685669d (HBK4SP)

I embarrassingly don't know how you can put the name of the build and link that to the build page. Once again I actually haven't tried any except the first HBK4G, HBK 4J, and HBK4P.

Edited by luxebo, 02 September 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#95 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

Smurfy will not work! It shows the value of the mech with upgrades. Upgrades are not included when selling the mech. So DSHS, Artemis, etc... you get nothing back for selling the Mech.

Like you I have lots of free time and not a lot of $$$. I recommend spending $15 for 3000 MC and buying 8 additional Mech bays. Save the spare 600 MC for double XP Conversion weekends. It is what I did. In the meantime... I played for 3 months with 4 mech bays selling Mechs as needed. Sell anything you want within reason. How many spare Medium Lasers can you use for instance? MGs? Flamers? I only kept one of each Standard Engine type around, and even then not always.

Edited by scJazz, 03 September 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#96 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

With the cost breakdown, would it work with minusing the upgrades? Basically minus all upgrades separate of the mech (Using my awesome graphing calculator) and then add mechs for the sell, then divide? Or what about doing minus on upgrades and then divide? Just need a rounded estimate that's close enough to what I get.

Maybe I might keep a bit of cash alloted for the game but not 200-300. I dunno, I'll decide bit later. BTW, what's new in the patch?

With the cost breakdown, would it work with minusing the upgrades? Basically minus all upgrades separate of the mech (Using my awesome graphing calculator) and then add mechs for the sell, then divide? Or what about doing minus on upgrades and then divide? Just need a rounded estimate that's close enough to what I get.

Maybe I might keep a bit of cash alloted for the game but not 200-300. I dunno, I'll decide bit later. BTW, what's new in the patch?

Edit: Found the Orion, sounds badass as far as I know of it. :) New tutorial, could've definitely helped before, now it's just an addition for other new players. Also, new trials which I don't really know what to do about. I've the Raven, which actually plays like a light. I really like how two Ravens appeared in the same few months. Really going to shorten my grind, might actually aim for that mech later! What does Narc, Tag, and ECM really do in this game, play like in the past games (meaning do very little besides fire support?) People say ECM is OP, I don't know about the other couple because I don't have missles besides SRM 6 pack. Then the Champion Centurion, which isn't appealing to me. Why do this build when you can build with 3 SRM 6, 2 Med lasers, and faster speed? It seems more powerful as a raider. The Quickdraw seems nice as a raider build as well, I'll enjoy it for sure. Seems a lot like the Victor but more powerful. And the Stalker seems OP after coming out of the smaller mechs. I'll enjoy that as well. Anyway, this patch seems awesome!

Edited by luxebo, 03 September 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#97 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Patch... HSR fixes, the Orion comes out this month (hero only right now), and the GR+2(ER)PPC mechs just got what they so richly deserved... namely 1 shot kill right to the CT o/ so long suckers!

Patch Notes http://mwomercs.com/...ember-3rd-live/

Yeah you could go do all that math... or just click sell mech and see what it wants to give you for the Chassis which would be infinitely simpler

#98 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the help scJazz again, I'm going to make a thread somewhere else on the Hunchbacks since I can't really see any benefits or disadvantages on many. Didn't see patch notes on the forums but not in game. I don't know whether the sniper nerf was too much or not, at least I can see myself poking my head out a bit and taking a shot and still being able to live. I think I'll stick to math because of safety reasons, only takes about a few minutes to figure an estimate. <_<

#99 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Honestly I haven't looked at any of them yet. I'll do so...

Others should as well!

#100 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

I also put them in a Hunchback thread for a bunch of builds. <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users