Why The Clans Are Not Gonna Be Overpowered

233 replies to this topic

#101 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Why won't the Clans be overpowered? Go to the 35:49 mark here and listen to the explanation from Bryan Ekman and his discussion with the original BT designer as to the "intent" of the original introduction of the Clans.

"We're not going to make the same mistake." - BE

It was supposed to have been the that Clan pilots were more skilled with a bit better equipment but ended up as Clans being better pilots and having much better gear. He touches upon the "re-introduction" of the Clans into the MW:O universe as to being more in line with original intent and not what we see in the TRO's and on sarna.net.

Those Clan loyalists that are waiting for their OMG lasers might have to rethink their outlook on life if I read between the lines correctly.

#102 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

All I want is my chassis... If the weapons are slightly better, or on par... Does not matter, I just want my Chassis, Clan and Zellbrigen bonus when I kill something on my own skill, not the combined arms of my whole team. :(

#103 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Sorry, but if the clans aren't OP, it's because PGI implements them that way. No amount of fluff, plot, or battletech rules you quote will effect this.

The bottom line is that it's down to how PGI codes them.

#104 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

i thought there was a system that doubles as a force equalizer... oh right, Battle Value! Oh the problems that BV would actually fix... too bad everybody seems to hate the idea of BV matching and would rather weight matching...

#105 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 10 September 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

i thought there was a system that doubles as a force equalizer... oh right, Battle Value! Oh the problems that BV would actually fix... too bad everybody seems to hate the idea of BV matching and would rather weight matching...

BV isn't perfect, but it's the best thing we've got.

#106 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 August 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Clan DHS take less crits, making it easier to fit more of them.

this is indeed one of my biggest worries. with 33% more HS possible, you can fit 26 C vs.20 IS, which indeed makes a huge difference.

i can only see MOST of the clantoys balanced, if they CAN NOT customize anything other than switching predefined omni-modules.

that doesn´t balance "Zero-To-Longrange-Streak-Srm20´s" btw... with the current "Homing ability" of LRM´s, i can see Clan LRM´s being one of the big deals within clantech - and i for my part think (for a while now) that over all the MWO LRM system needs a redesign. you can´t really balance their homing mechanics with damage tweaks imho

#107 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 06 September 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

"We're not going to make the same mistake." - BE

Have read some where that the Clan weapons should never had such long range. However I dunno where i read about this.

But given that idea:

Clan - favors 1 on 1 engagements. That mean - the Mech is optimized for single combat: it dosen't need to stay long in the field, its designed to front load damage - for the cost of staying ability:

Could mean: all internal components are only half as though. Internal structure has only 75% HP.

LRM can not fire indirect.
Weapon only work till there effective range - and damage drop of to zero much faster. (for example ER-LLAS -> 750m effective range and a maximum range of 1000m (133%)

Ammunition per ton - is less (not because a ton of lead weights more as a ton of paper) - maybe because the reloading mechanism of the Reciver and Loading Mechanism can't handle much stress.

#108 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

I hope Clan tech will be implemented with full power, just for the sake of challenge. If Clanners will use Zellbrigen, I will be happy to meet them 1 on 1. :ph34r:

#109 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostTank, on 10 September 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

I hope Clan tech will be implemented with full power, just for the sake of challenge. If Clanners will use Zellbrigen, I will be happy to meet them 1 on 1. :ph34r:

Try explaining that to the people who want "Teh Mad Cat" because it's well known and has better tech.

I wouldn't mind using zell just for the challenge.

#110 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

I can hear the rants now when masses of jump-snipers run clan mechs and clan PPC/ERPPC's dominating the field and failing to use the clan honor system. Those hoping that ClanTech for MWO will be just as OP as the TT version will must likely be either in the jump-sniper group or the group of those complaining, calling loudest for nerfs.

Introducing ClanTech as superior across the line will kill CW from the start. Who wants to play the under-powered, obsolete IS mechs with IS-Tech when you can dominate with ClanTech. Who will the clans then have to fight? The other clans maybe, but then you can forget replaying "Lore events" entirely. The whole Clan Fanbase assumes that somebody will willingly play inferior mechs just to give them something to destroy. Think again. This game has shown that players will flock to any content that provides a distinct advantage.

MWO must diverge from TT eventually to be successful. You dont have dice and modifiers as balancing factors and you can forget about trying to get people to use the clan honor system that are not fan-atic about Lore.

#111 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 10 September 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

BV isn't perfect, but it's the best thing we've got.

and yet every single time i play TT now, i go with IS since i have to give up a huge numbers/special ammo advantage just to use lighter/better weapons/equipment that clans have (or i could intentionally give myself really bad pilots... but that's suicide). To play clans effectively in TT, you need to have your big boy pants and your thinking cap on, since the clans rely on their range advantage a lot (which out of how many maps in MWO are that large to begin with?).

Also most of the good clan mechs that would translate decently to MWO are the non omnis (besides the Viper, Ice Ferret, Nova, Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, Warhawk, and Dire Wolf from the 3050 tro omnis) like the Kodiak, Rifleman IIC, Marauder IIC, Jenner IIC, Pack Hunter, Horned Owl, Hellfire, and the Highlander IIC...

Edited by KhanCipher, 10 September 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#112 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

They should honestly just make Clans PvE only. Easiest way to implement them and not have them screw the game.

#113 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostMagnakanus, on 10 September 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

Introducing ClanTech as superior across the line will kill CW from the start. Who wants to play the under-powered, obsolete IS mechs with IS-Tech when you can dominate with ClanTech. Who will the clans then have to fight? The other clans maybe, but then you can forget replaying "Lore events" entirely. The whole Clan Fanbase assumes that somebody will willingly play inferior mechs just to give them something to destroy. Think again. This game has shown that players will flock to any content that provides a distinct advantage.

I do.

As a simple solution, to protect from IS players from getting stomped by dishonorable clan players. Simple honor points system should prevent players from playing Clan mech.
Edit: or yet better if it's random match, then just allow honorable Clan players to shoot down those who are not - that would be somewhat closer to lore?

And if don't well, I will have to play with role playing clanners. And play as usual with with the rest that are not.

Edited by Tank, 10 September 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#114 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostTank, on 10 September 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I do.

As a simple solution, to protect from IS players from getting stomped by dishonorable clan players. Simple honor points system should prevent players from playing Clan mech.
Edit: or yet better if it's random match, then just allow honorable Clan players to shoot down those who are not - that would be somewhat closer to lore?

In my thread http://mwomercs.com/...-the-canon-way/ i propose some ideas for Clan 'mechs,factions and tech. Have you already checked it, quineg?

#115 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 10 September 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

In my thread http://mwomercs.com/...-the-canon-way/ i propose some ideas for Clan 'mechs,factions and tech. Have you already checked it, quineg?

Neg. :)

Was present in older topic of similar matter. After reading your topic, I wish to say that idea is good but, complicated - too many systems should be implemented in the game.

Just honor points and allowing to clans to deal with dezgra - would be applied to those who is with a clan, but fought dishonorably. And give honorable clanners rewards for destroying them.
So far I see it as simple and elegant solution to make players respect clan rules, but not force them. Actions and their consequences will be fully at players hands. :lol:

#116 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostTank, on 10 September 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Neg. :)

Was present in older topic of similar matter. After reading your topic, I wish to say that idea is good but, complicated - too many systems should be implemented in the game.

Just honor points and allowing to clans to deal with dezgra - would be applied to those who is with a clan, but fought dishonorably. And give honorable clanners rewards for destroying them.
So far I see it as simple and elegant solution to make players respect clan rules, but not force them. Actions and their consequences will be fully at players hands. :lol:

Possible. I just have not much faith in any Zellbrigen rules system. Sadly, there are not only true Clanners in the game.. What if they give us private lobbies? Even if they are likely to be restricted to players with premium account or similar.. -_-

#117 CCODEZ

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

I like the honour points idea... maybe have it so that playing a certain way (i.e as a clan member) gains you points, the more points you get the better the clan tech you can use due to recognition. You want those shiny 75+ ton clan mechs you gonna have to earn them in honour. That way the prices wont have to be stupidly high which would just reward grinders and as not everyone would be willing to trade the more shady tactics for success there wouldn't be a lot of them about compared to IS. Of course once you get your "Mad Cat" if you think you can start being honourless think again as they can then remove chunks of honour for being a... well you get the idea.

#118 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 10 September 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Possible. I just have not much faith in any Zellbrigen rules system. Sadly, there are not only true Clanners in the game.. What if they give us private lobbies? Even if they are likely to be restricted to players with premium account or similar.. :lol:

Other players may accept RP elements of the game with time. If a mercenary from a Periphery is accepting to fight under Zellbrigen, maybe others will be able to do the same? :)

What they will give us - time will show, but as long as bad things didn't happened and till we don't know if they will happen.
I refuse to be consumed by despair.

CCODEZ, yes, it all come to that dishonorable clanner must be penalized. Taking away mech or not allowing to play would be impossible - MWO is not that hardcore, but letting other honorable clanners do the justice, and letting dishonorable be a pinata for kinsman, for some time - will most likely get the message.

#119 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Her's an idea...just make Clan hardmode. One Star (5) vs 3 lances (12) and let the clanners have their OP weapons and gear. This would be preferable to me over making clan mechs and tech a wimper vice a roar when they come on the scene. Oh wait, who am I kidding! This game will probably go under before any clan mechs arrive...nevermind... :)

#120 Henry Buzz Gerber

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(london uk)

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

I hope that after launch and ui 2.0 and cw is in the game, that they then leave the game to calm down and be stable for a year or more before adding the clans and unbalancing the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users