103 replies to this topic

#81 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

>Blatantly steeling screenshots from /vg/

Posted Image

I still remember the early competitive games. The huge risks associated with scouting. Knowing that if I sent my Jenners over that hill to find out what was on the other side, they might not be coming back. I could well be sending my teammates to their deaths on a foolish whim. The weight of those decisions made them real and meaningful to gameplay.

Nope, screw that. Press a button, hug a rock and get all that information and more without having to even approach a cone of fire.

#82 Gwaihir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yea, for sure, protection. Light committing/probing back and forth was a huge part of the game back then, and that pick off or crippling shot often decided the entire match.

Now, of course, that's a thing of the past.

#83 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostDustmuffins, on 20 August 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Any indication that they still intend to split 3pv and 1pv players?

They won't. Everything I've told you since day one has come true. Are you gonna start listening soon?

#84 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

on the off-chance that anyone here still has the Phoenix pack i propose we all ask for a refund. hit em where it hurts, the wallet

#85 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostDamocles69, on 20 August 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

on the off-chance that anyone here still has the Phoenix pack i propose we all ask for a refund. hit em where it hurts, the wallet

I wonder if the bar will go lower.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 20 August 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#86 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

That would not support their misinformation and false advertising campaign.

#87 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

They where rather clear about the heat penalty being to "help" with the high alpha builds in that they wouldn't be able to continuously alpha everything without having to worry (and it kind of worked)

There's no confirmed date for it other than (I think) release.

Actually they weren't. There was no indication in any developer post as to what the penalty was intended to do. Seriously, check the command chair stuff out, it's an explanation of the mechanics but not the purpose.

Edited by fil5000, 20 August 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#88 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Another good thread, quoted over from the old town hall 2 thread

View PostTice Daurus, on 20 August 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...et-flamed-here/

Guys I need the help from the #saveMWO community people here. Please, go to this thread, endorse it, post your LIKE on it so we can show Russ and the rest of PGI we mean business here. I would really appreciate everyone's help. Sincerely, and thanks...

#89 Laserkid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRural Southern Illinois

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 August 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

They won't. Everything I've told you since day one has come true. Are you gonna start listening soon?

They will, that is what the game mode (hardcore) is about. Don't want to play with people with 3rd person enabled, don't have to. It is just not yet implemented.

#90 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostLaserkid, on 21 August 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

They will, that is what the game mode (hardcore) is about. Don't want to play with people with 3rd person enabled, don't have to. It is just not yet implemented.

There's a breaking point on denial, we've largely reached it: http://mwomercs.com/...74#entry2674174
They have no intention of activating that mode, if they did it would already be live, its no more difficult a change than adapting the separation of 12mans from 4 and lower games.
Of course its possible they've just failed completely like with ghost heat+AC/2 and simply have no idea how to restrict the 3pv option, in which case they had no business moving 3pv live.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 21 August 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#91 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Am I missing something or is Paul just BS'ing in that follow up post? If that's a bug, then over half their maps are bugged apparently....

#92 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

You're not missing anything Windies, that's what he does when he doesn't like your response to his ideas.

#93 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostWindies, on 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

They technically have to give the refunds until they fulfill the order, even if it's digital goods. I know there's an EU law governing it, not sure about in the US or in Canada though.

Not giving refunds doesn't exactly make an unhappy customer more happy, so they might get to keep the money, but they can expect that it will hurt their business in the long run.

---

Also I second the motion that if you want to make sure the next community town hall meeting is visited, you might need a seperate thread announcing it, or otherwise make it more public.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 21 August 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#94 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostWindies, on 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

They technically have to give the refunds until they fulfill the order, even if it's digital goods. I know there's an EU law governing it, not sure about in the US or in Canada though.

Not giving refunds doesn't exactly make an unhappy customer more happy, so they might get to keep the money, but they can expect that it will hurt their business.

#95 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostWindies, on 21 August 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Am I missing something or is Paul just BS'ing in that follow up post? If that's a bug, then over half their maps are bugged apparently....

As I understand it, and i'll be happy to admit it if i'm wrong -

Have to assume he's talking about geometry of the models and mistakenly using the wrong term. (The rendering is 'ray-traced', not the geometry that actually influences the physics of the camera, and only reflections could be raytraced in crytek3 in the 1st place.) At certain positions it seems like there isn't an object where there actually is one because of gaps in the hitboxes of the models. I imagine at the perfect angle a bullet could go through that gap as well. And yeah finding and fixing all the holes where advantages like this happen will consume tons of time and resources better spent elsewhere. But hey why not, fk it, they burned 6 months adding 3pv so far.

#96 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

No. I already do. :D

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

If it is possible, it can always be arranged.

#97 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ty-town-hall-3/ The new thread is up, and we're having another townhall Thursday (sorry for short notice). Thank you all for your attention.

#98 Zephyr Charge

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thx for that .pdf :)

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 21 August 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

There's a breaking point on denial, we've largely reached it: http://mwomercs.com/...74#entry2674174 They have no intention of activating that mode, if they did it would already be live, its no more difficult a change than adapting the separation of 12mans from 4 and lower games. Of course its possible they've just failed completely like with ghost heat+AC/2 and simply have no idea how to restrict the 3pv option, in which case they had no business moving 3pv live.

Hell; paul I think said theyre rethinking the whole thing now that 3pv doesnt give any advantage (lol)

#99 Vorpralmar

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostSirDubDub, on 19 August 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Aw Hell with it.

The previous threads on this movement included posts in which people claimed that dissenting voices were not present at these town halls despite their invitation. Speaking only for myself (I did sit in on the first meeting live, and went back for the second's recording) I did not speak up in the meeting or in the discussion threads partially for fear of being shouted down, and partially because I felt that my voice in the debate may have sparked more personal attacks against myself or others who are like-minded, which would have diluted the message of the meeting by adding an unnecessary layer of drama and vitriol. While the meetings themselves seemed to be quite positive/even-keeled, it was disheartening to see the discussion threads devolve into this kind of mudslinging by folks of all points of view regarding #savemwo.

The Garth was right, guys. We're better than this. We're all better than this. All sides, all points of view, and all positions of power.

Therefore, in the hopes of a truly productive discussion for a truly productive movement, I offer my support as loyal opposition.

MY POSITION
Is MWO perfect?: Of course not
Is MWO flawed?: Yes, sometimes deeply, and sometimes slightly
Are any of these flaws fatal?: No
Does MWO need a competitive player revolution to save it?: No
Would MWO benefit from an elected group of player advocates: Yes
Would I sign the #savemwo petition as it currently stands?: No
Is PGI/IGP perfect?: No
Did PGI/IGP overpromise on a number of issues?: YES
Did PGI eat my baby/are an utterly incompotent developer?: No
Any other positions I hold, but am witholding for brevity's sake/ you guys get the picture?: Bacon is delicious

Now. I disagree with you guys on many issues, but that does not mean I don't respect you, or think that you are wrong. I am perfectly willing to discuss valid arguments on the merits of what we know and what we can expect. I swear on my knight's honor to refrain from any hyperbolic or personal attacks, and will do my best to use HWAP at all times.

Signed: A Loyal Dissident

[TLDR - I disagree with you guys, but let's not be {Richard Camerons} about it this time]

seriously if your not here to assist in saving mwo please go join the liars in the command chair

#100 Vorpralmar

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostZephyr Charge, on 19 August 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Yeah I sincerely doubt theyd publish the results though Ya; and not the reception I got earlier today. everyone alpha-ed me and it didnt just look like it; they went from shooting my teammates to shooting at me lol cause they were like "kill him first; teach him how harsh this game is!" "No! leg him!" "Shoot off all his bits so he can watch us kill the rest of his team!" Cause new players will really want to see that on their first matches, where the other guys on the enemy team start aplha prioritizing the trial mechs
it sure sucks when the programers forget that they are not in charge they just write the **** the player base is in charge cause if we all say take a hike were not playing your game or paying you to screw things up. then they become homeless and we get a new gaming company to do it even if it takes 13 more years. most of us gamers are patient and also have backup plans like haveing duplicates of the game and server side programing so when pgi fails (as we all know it will now) the player base can do what its always done retake repair rebuild. One can just hope they get this through theyer head

PS 13y/os who begged for 3pv wont spend a dime on your game pgi

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users