#savemwo Community Town Hall #3

267 replies to this topic

#101 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

You know, for all we know, they are right.

Time will tell.

I, however, am done. Going to fight for my refund, opened a grievance with BBB / CPBC, but, well, there is nothing left for us to save.

I hope for PGI's sake they are right.

#102 Windies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I have yet to see anyone I know not associated with Mechwarrior or Battletech even speak of this game and I have a pretty broad range of friends both in tastes and in region. In fact most who I end up bringing it up to say "Mechwarrior Online? You mean that terrible F2P game?". Word of mouth travels very fast and is very powerful. So I truly doubt that they have this humongous silent fan base that outweighs and outranks their forum population. The problems with MW:O as it stands aren't even really a matter of player taste, but simply of good game design versus bad game design. You can see that with the general consensus among all of the forum members and how the complaints have almost become a unifying voice at this point, whether they believe or understand it or not.

I highly doubt they are right, but it's probably more to keep up appearances for any new players who haven't gotten word of mouth or read anything on the game. They don't really care about the people who know the game has problems, they got your money already and whether you spend more or not is a moot point because they feel that they can replace you easily by trying to target a very diverse and large demographic. I just don't think the game is in any shape to be trying to target a demographic that for all intents and purposes hasn't had an interest in it in over 10 years. I don't think it's anywhere near good enough or complete enough for that.

#103 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

After the {Scrap} I dealt with in the Sept. Creative Developer Update feedback thread for voicing my opinion and because that opinion was different from the doomsayers, I am fully on board with this. I know for a fact that a LOT of people from PhoenixDominion are unhappy as well. I can talk to them to see if they do not mind me being the represenative for them.

Our member database is around 30-50 members. All of us are unhappy. I am the only one who does not insult PGI. This is their FIRST professional game. They're honestly amateurs. They were founded on making mods for Half-Life.

Anything they do is based off of their own intuition which is usually wrong. It is like a toddler learning what is right and wrong. Either way, putting in the poorly designed 3PV was a shot in the foot to themselves.

Consider me on board this movement and I'll talk to the leaders of PHD and see what is going on.

#104 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 August 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Oh well might as well shut this movement down after that latest CDU. Everything is going great and people are happy! :angry:

It helps that they improved their target demographics. Getting rid of competitive battletech fans with high expectations and replacing it with casual 3PV players that don't mind that the view specifically build for them to make gameplay easier is pretty harmstrung. #

Of course, meh.

I don't mind casual gamers, COD gamers, kids or whatever. The are all fine, and I believe some of them are needlessly insulted by some of us "hardcore" people. I don't believe "kids these days" are dumber than we were as kids, or our parents were as kids, for example.

I am not even that hardcore. I don't have a unit, I am not willing to organize my weekly schedule around PvP games, I don't like voice chats with strangers, I'd probably be just happy with a single player only game, and I am not married to battletech rules.

But I really like slow paced stompy robot combats. I really like good game design with emergent complexity and lots of tactical decision-making and a game without obvious build choices.
I suppose the latter makes me hardcore.

#105 Bipper

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Not being real happy with some of the things I have been reading about the direction PGI is going with this I thought I'd come take a look at this thread, the petition, etc... But I'm not sure I agree with it. For example, abandon the tabletop rules where logical. I think that's already being done, regardless of whether it's logical or not. I'm not saying PGI has to implement the canon TT rules verbatim and explicitly (i.e. a PPC must be assigned a weapon damage value of 10, no if's, and's or but's). However, if you look at the TT rules, one hit with an AC/20 should hurt a Raven... BAD. Meaning a leg goes bye-bye, a CT hit is a guaranteed kill... Instead what does it take? 3, 4, 5 hits with the most powerful, heavy, bulky weapon in the game? You have lights rushing up to Atlases with impunity because they know they can take at least a couple of hits. The ones that fail that tactic miserably seem to be the same ones that jump on the forums and start crying about the game being too brutal. That's not only abandoning the rules, it's throwing the spirit and the feel of the rules completely out the window. Maybe instead of abandoning Battletech rules, they should be paying a little more attention to the spirit of the rules.

#106 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

The latest "update" was both hilarious and sad at the same time, especially this bit:

There are vocal minorities and silent majorities on all subjects and we always have to balance between these groups.

So, how are they getting info from the silent majority? I'm quite curious.

At this point I'd rather sit back to see MWO crash and burn, I'm not going to waste anymore time, money and energy on it.

MWO is to the Mechwarrior franchise as Master of Orion III was to the MOO franchise. It'll get a positive reaction early on, later it will all go downhill as people will look past the eye candy and see all the problems with the game.

We've already waited ten years for a new MW game, I'd wait another ten if it means getting a good MW title.

#107 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 28 August 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

The latest "update" was both hilarious and sad at the same time, especially this bit:

So, how are they getting info from the silent majority? I'm quite curious.

Phoenix Reeinforcement sale.

Maybe the real solution to #savemwo is just finding more cool mech models that people absolutely want to play and have regardless of whether the game is an imbalanced mess without any gameplay depth or variety.

If it works, can we blame them?

Unlike selling crack, selling digitalized mechs is not illegal.

#108 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

The Saber thing is really weird. It kinda contradicts what they've said about trying to pull new players in in favour of asking established players to pony up even more money than they already have. It's an odd thing to do if your player base is growing.

#109 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 28 August 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Phoenix Reeinforcement sale.

Maybe the real solution to #savemwo is just finding more cool mech models that people absolutely want to play and have regardless of whether the game is an imbalanced mess without any gameplay depth or variety.

If it works, can we blame them?

Unlike selling crack, selling digitalized mechs is not illegal.

It won't last, let's see how long it takes for the first refunds.

View Postfil5000, on 28 August 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

The Saber thing is really weird. It kinda contradicts what they've said about trying to pull new players in in favour of asking established players to pony up even more money than they already have. It's an odd thing to do if your player base is growing.

The Saber thing would make sense if old school BT players were the target audience. New players won't know what is so special about these mechs, they are just cool looking new mechs to them.

#110 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 28 August 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

The Saber thing would make sense if old school BT players were the target audience. New players won't know what is so special about these mechs, they are just cool looking new mechs to them.

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's baffling to answer an AtD question and tell the "core players" that you're going to do what you have to in order to grow the player base, and then ask them to put their hands back in their pockets.

#111 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

View Postfil5000, on 28 August 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's baffling to answer an AtD question and tell the "core players" that you're going to do what you have to in order to grow the player base, and then ask them to put their hands back in their pockets.

That's the perfect move actually. They care too much not to cash grab! :)

#112 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

So with the ATD joke, is #saveMWO done? I've gone from reading these forums daily to weekly. I can't even remember when I uninstalled this game.

I can remember recently putting a bunch of money into another F2P game that actually listens to to its core gamers, fixes their game based on there feedback, actually asks for it, releases patch notes BEFORE releasing their patch,tests out there patches first in a public test server AND says wild things like "The patch will be ready Thursday of this week or early next week. It will be released when it is ready and has no significant remaining issues or bugs."

Imagine no forced, broken patches because its a Tuesday and they need to release latest cockpit item?

#113 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

I sure hope you #saveMWO didn't fall for that poll that Bryan put up. Separate queues or nothing at all this is just a ploy to calm the big groups down while ignoring solo players.

#114 Miekael

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostxZaOx, on 28 August 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

So with the ATD joke, is #saveMWO done? I've gone from reading these forums daily to weekly. I can't even remember when I uninstalled this game.

I can remember recently putting a bunch of money into another F2P game that actually listens to to its core gamers, fixes their game based on there feedback, actually asks for it, releases patch notes BEFORE releasing their patch,tests out there patches first in a public test server AND says wild things like "The patch will be ready Thursday of this week or early next week. It will be released when it is ready and has no significant remaining issues or bugs."

Imagine no forced, broken patches because its a Tuesday and they need to release latest cockpit item?

We are looking to have another meeting sometime early September, I think somewhere around the 10th-14th. Details will be posted when confirmed.

#115 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostxZaOx, on 28 August 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

Between this and Unite and Drop inevitably getting ignored, I think we should all at least get absolutely everyone together one last time for:

#MWOFuneral

Where we can all get together, say our parting words to the game, and lay it to rest in peace.

#116 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 28 August 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Maybe it does. Than we don't need #savemwo and instead #makeanotherbattletechgameplease

Cool looking might be all it takes. And considering the cost for other battlemechs, the deal isn't bad, I think, so that might be a reason for non old school players to care.

It's hard to say, really.

Startrek Online seems to run pretty well on selling space ships - in lockboxes even, that means you buy lots of keys in hoping that one of those lockboxes contains one of the cool ships you always wanted.

It could be that the Startrek fan community is much larger and thus the enthusiasts for new ship models are more. But there are also plenty of new designs in those boxes, that are not based on canon ships, and they sell.

And as far as I know, Cryptic's team might be larger than PGIs, so they likely need more money than PGI to be considered profitable by ther Chinese Overlords.

Of course, Startrek Online might not only have a larger in-build target audience, it also has a lot of story and PvE content to play through, which PGI is completely lacking. It even has a tutorial! PvP is not very relevant in STO, it's an afterthought and balance has been changing from bad to meh to worse (I might argue it's worse than MW:O. It's definitely a lot harder to fix, since Startrek Online's "space magic" has it all - heals, buffs, resists, damage reduction, dispels, procs...)

So I dunno if this can be financially viable or not with the quality level reached.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 29 August 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#117 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostViper69, on 28 August 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I sure hope you #saveMWO didn't fall for that poll that Bryan put up. Separate queues or nothing at all this is just a ploy to calm the big groups down while ignoring solo players.

annnnd then we'll know if #savemwo cares for solo players or not...

#118 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostSybreed, on 29 August 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

annnnd then we'll know if #savemwo cares for solo players or not...

Yep we will see.

Edited by Viper69, 29 August 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#119 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostProtection, on 28 August 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

Between this and Unite and Drop inevitably getting ignored, I think we should all at least get absolutely everyone together one last time for:

#MWOFuneral

Where we can all get together, say our parting words to the game, and lay it to rest in peace.

We already beat you to it,

We had 48 guys online at the same time, recording stuff, and setting it up. I am pretty sure that's twice the activity of all the elite units with thousands of registered members.

#120 Mista Whizzard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostProtection, on 28 August 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

#MWOFuneral

Trust me, we are not being ignored :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users