#981 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostS3dition, on 23 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

That's because the people above me were talking about a phoenix hawk, and I was replying to that. I accidentally listed shadow hawk. Oh well. too many damn hawks.

Also, HG sued over the artwork. What happens when the artwork is different? Think hard on that, because this has been discussed again, and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again (that's how annoying it is to us when we hear "PGI can't use x because HG will sue them").

This can't be right. Otherwise, the people who ordered Phoenix just to get Saber should cancel their order and wait for Phoenix to end. That way they don't have to pay the extra money. It seems very unfair to trick people into paying the extra money, just to pull a fast one and continue the sale without the extra buy-in requirement.

Also, the Phoenix sale better end soon. Why did I just spend $80 to get all the mechs at once on October 15th if someone else can get them all at once in the same package at a later date? That's is the anti-thesis of exclusive and a huge turnoff for purchasing future "limited time" packages.

Honestly, I'm getting very nervous at the reluctance to place an end date on the sale. I get that PGI is trying to give people time to order (and make extra cash) but it will ultimately hurt the future package deals if they don't make this an actual limited time offer.

PGI is really really bad at making exclusive packs and items honestly.

Remember all the "exclusive" 3050 cockpit items and Christmas items that would never ever be released ever again?
...And then they give them out for free in challenges and repeat sales...

So yeah I doubt the Phoenix pack will have any end, I know someone's going to argue with me on this (for the record I have an Overlord pack), but I doubt many people bought it, so they'll leave it open as long as possible to squeeze as much money out of the deal as possible.

Infact, I'm starting to worry that they're just going to leave it open indefinitely even after the release date, only minus the special title and bonuses and {Scrap}...

#982 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Postharuko, on 23 September 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

PGI is really really bad at making exclusive packs and items honestly.

Remember all the "exclusive" 3050 cockpit items and Christmas items that would never ever be released ever again?
...And then they give them out for free in challenges and repeat sales...

So yeah I doubt the Phoenix pack will have any end, I know someone's going to argue with me on this (for the record I have an Overlord pack), but I doubt many people bought it, so they'll leave it open as long as possible to squeeze as much money out of the deal as possible.

Infact, I'm starting to worry that they're just going to leave it open indefinitely even after the release date, only minus the special title and bonuses and {Scrap}...

Financially, it makes more sense for them not to. By revoking the package, people who missed out will have to spend $10+ per mech or grind the cbills. Right now you're looking at $5 per mech with free mech bays. I imagine they could purchase hero mechs for the normal $30+ per mech.

#983 Nick REX Trebla

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Err...
Let me know if I get this right: you'll have 4 'mechs for 80 slaps plus another 2 'mechs for another 30 slaps (included all the amenities that personally I can't care less about).
That's actually 110 slaps full service. Comparison: 1 entire year of subscription in SWTOR (just an example with something running these days) or more of the half for the STO lifetime subscription.
Not really for me, thankyou.
Don't get me wrong: the 'mechs are quite great looking (even if their potential in equipment is definitely not really my style) but man... sorry I won't pay for cosmetics.
Just my thoughts.

#984 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

@Nick : no Nick you get 12 mechs plus another 6. Every chassis comes with 3 variants.

#985 Nick REX Trebla

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostSgtKinCaiD, on 23 September 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

@Nick : no Nick you get 12 mechs plus another 6. Every chassis comes with 3 variants.

Right, ok. And what I should do with 18 'mechs??? Eighteen ?!?! :) Anyway for what I see in the "P" equipment potential I really can't match my playstyle with this. Everything else is cosmetics and texturing. And now that I'm back in this... The "Thunderbolt": is it just me or it is definitely a Thor??? :) Oh no, right that one has no hands and the missile bowl on the other shoulder :P

#986 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostImperius, on 23 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I might but I doubt it. Thursdays are my Fridays so it just starts my weekend off early, if they don't release a bunch of good info in the stream on launch day. Then it's still a weekend full of MWO and noob stomping.

Launch day was last week. The 26th is a glorified lan party.

#987 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Also, HG sued over the artwork. What happens when the artwork is different? Think hard on that, because this has been discussed again, and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again (that's how annoying it is to us when we hear "PGI can't use x because HG will sue them").

If different art is used, HG doesn't have a leg to stand on in court. They may 'try' to threaten, but there would be no bite behind that bark. The makers of Dougram and Crusher Joe never sued btw, but the original art was pulled at the same time as the macross art because they couldn't really justify using other licensed art when they were pulling the macross stuff. However, even if they had sued, the MWO Project Phoenix art is still different enough that they wouldn't have had to ask permission. They could do the same for the mechs that previously used macross art.

This whole deal is something that I think the BattleTech community has exacerbated to a great extent by refusing to accept any other art than the original. We've had new LEGAL art to use for those 'mechs for over a decade, but everyone still ignores that. (To be fair, the art in 2003's TRO: Project Phoenix is pretty horrible, but it's in-house art, not licensed, so there's nothing stopping in-house artists from building on to those designs and making different iterations from that art. You can't do that with licensed material, which is another reason new art should be made instead of the original licensed material). We as a community need to let go of those original designs so we can move on with new designs. These are key 'mechs in the history of battletech and they should be represented visually instead of treating them like they don't exist because we can't use that old art. You have to remember that at the time those 'mechs were first being used, BattleTech didn't have any artists of their own. Now they do (although imo it's taken some time to get any quality artists).

This can't be right. Otherwise, the people who ordered Phoenix just to get Saber should cancel their order and wait for Phoenix to end. That way they don't have to pay the extra money. It seems very unfair to trick people into paying the extra money, just to pull a fast one and continue the sale without the extra buy-in requirement.

Also, the Phoenix sale better end soon. Why did I just spend $80 to get all the mechs at once on October 15th if someone else can get them all at once in the same package at a later date? That's is the anti-thesis of exclusive and a huge turnoff for purchasing future "limited time" packages.

Honestly, I'm getting very nervous at the reluctance to place an end date on the sale. I get that PGI is trying to give people time to order (and make extra cash) but it will ultimately hurt the future package deals if they don't make this an actual limited time offer.

Why did you buy the Phoenix Package? To have exclusive 'mechs or to get them early? Also there was an 'Early Bird' special in July that gave some extra incentives... did you get any of those?

#988 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostNick REX Trebla, on 23 September 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Right, ok. And what I should do with 18 'mechs??? Eighteen ?!?! :P Anyway for what I see in the "P" equipment potential I really can't match my playstyle with this. Everything else is cosmetics and texturing. And now that I'm back in this... The "Thunderbolt": is it just me or it is definitely a Thor??? :lol: Oh no, right that one has no hands and the missile bowl on the other shoulder :P

I intend to master them all with GXP and sell the ones I don't care for to pay for the required upgrades on the ones I want to keep. If I'm lucky, I'll break even in the c-bill department.

#989 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 September 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Launch day was last week. The 26th is a glorified lan party.

Actually they will talk about Community Warfare and most likely this weekend post feedback on said ideas or next week.
Source NGNG Podcast Bryan Ekman Interview and the stream times MWO Events

#990 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostImperius, on 24 September 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Actually they will talk about Community Warfare and most likely this weekend post feedback on said ideas or next week.
Source NGNG Podcast Bryan Ekman Interview and the stream times MWO Events

Yes, I know what they said, but they have said things like that before only to never actaully give any real info if any at all.

#991 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

That's because the people above me were talking about a phoenix hawk, and I was replying to that. I accidentally listed shadow hawk. Oh well. too many damn hawks.

People ignore that art because they don't consider it "official". PGI's creations are being considered official and a lot of people want them cast as miniatures to use in the battletech board game. Therein lies the huge difference.

Also, I ordered both packages to get limited offer mechs. Otherwise I'd just grind up to them with cbills. And yes, I got the earlybird special, which thankfully ended. But it still remains to be seen if my mechs will actually be limited edition or the same "limited edition" as any other product with the normal shelf life.

#992 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Yes, I know what they said, but they have said things like that before only to never actaully give any real info if any at all.

True but this time I have a feeling it's different let's hope I'm right if not the game is doomed. They also plan on getting out 4-6 clan mechs Q1/Q2

Edited by Imperius, 24 September 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#993 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Exactly, and the 30 minutes dedicated to presentation and door prizes at the Launch Event probably means that the detailed presentation on CW will be rather short.

#994 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostImperius, on 24 September 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

True but this time I have a feeling it's different let's hope I'm right if not the game is doomed. They also plan on getting out 4-6 clan mechs Q1/Q2

We shall see, but I won't hold my breath. Clan mechs were supposed to be Q1/Q2 this year as well. I sadly have been made a pessimist with all the goal post moving that occurs and so little to show for it.

#995 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yup true, I'm just trying to be optimistic.

#996 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostImperius, on 24 September 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yup true, I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Embrace your anger, and come to the Dark Side...We have cookies! ;)

#997 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostNick REX Trebla, on 23 September 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Right, ok. And what I should do with 18 'mechs??? Eighteen ?!?! ;) Anyway for what I see in the "P" equipment potential I really can't match my playstyle with this. Everything else is cosmetics and texturing. And now that I'm back in this... The "Thunderbolt": is it just me or it is definitely a Thor??? :P Oh no, right that one has no hands and the missile bowl on the other shoulder ;)

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that. It's 18 mechs with mech bays for $5 each, plus 90 days of premium time (I got 120), faction medallions, cockpit items and 2 custom paint schemes that you can use on all of your mechs, not just the phoenix versions.

You can't buy mechs that cheap, let alone get all the bonus freebies.

Also, you know how this game actually works, right? You need 3 of each type to actually be competitive with that chassis...

And... are you really accusing PGI of ripping off a thor by creating the thunderbolt?

Edited by S3dition, 24 September 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#998 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostS3dition, on 24 September 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that. It's 18 mechs with mech bays for $5 each, plus 90 days of premium time (I got 120), faction medallions, cockpit items and 2 custom paint schemes that you can use on all of your mechs, not just the phoenix versions.

You can't buy mechs that cheap, let alone get all the bonus freebies.

Lets also not forget the 27,000,000 c-bills you have to pay for double heat sinks. ;)

#999 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 September 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Lets also not forget the 27,000,000 c-bills you have to pay for double heat sinks. ;)

Which means... nothing? I play the game, I get cbills, the "problem" takes care of itself.

#1000 Mikros04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 September 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

and a pretty big pile of re-sell items to mitigate the costs

Edited by Mikros04, 24 September 2013 - 02:31 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users