Any Kto - 20 Build That Doesn't Suck

33 replies to this topic

#1 jghs48

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

I bought a Kintaro 20 and learned that it sucks. Is there a build that doesn't suck? I've tried many, can't really load up some LRMs, it's a medium. Can't really do a streak cat, too little damage and the darn mech is too slow. Can't equip some heavy (energy) firepower, over heats quickly and you'll find yourself limited to a very small amount of weapons. Can't harrass heavy or assault mechs, torso turn is low, the freaking thing is a mini atlas in size, packing a punch the size of a jenner. It can bearly survive against a jenner, let alone a raven! It has more armor in it's legs than it's arms. In fact, it's legs can have more armor (they have 52) than my torso can (50) because if I maxed the front torso, the back would have no armor. What's the deal with that? Why didn't they just sacrifice armor in the legs where no one shoots because no matter where you get hit, it always seems to hit your torso, and toss it in where you get hit the most? What is even the purpose of this mech? To simply suck? Because that's what it seems to be doing best as.

Right now I'm running my KTO-20 with 4 medium pulse lasers and 3 steam srms. 255XL engine and 16 double heatsinks. FF armor, DHS (as I said), standard structure and standard guidance. Maxed out on armor, 39 firepower, 75.1kph, 1.3 heat efficiency and 48.9 tonnage. I'm saving for a better engine, something that does around 100kph so I can not die as easily. Still won't be able to do some harrasing since the turn and size of the mech simply aren't a great combination for it. Any suggestions on my build or revise the build, something that doesn't die 99% percent of the time.

Edited by EverFor, 30 August 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

Something like this should work. Kind of like a CN9-AL, but with 1 extra SRM4. You may want to shave off some armour to get extra ammo, maybe reduce engine size to XL280 so you can get AMS.

I can see why you're having trouble, medium pulse lasers and SSRMS cause a lot of heat compared to how much damage they do. My build should be a lot more heat efficient and will let you fight at long range untill it's safe for you to get close.

EDIT: Also, you need to adjust the amount of armour to what you need. On the Kintaro, everyone (!) will be aiming for your center torso, so you don't need to put full armour on the legs. Something like 35-40 should be plenty. On the Centurion, on the other hand, the torso is so well protected that people always shoot for the legs. So you have to consider the mech and adjust the armor accordingly.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 30 August 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#3 ricardox

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

With that CT, I think speed is life. I've been using one that's similar to yours, only with 360XL. (106kph/116kph)

Think of it as a really oversized, and I mean oversized, light (hunter).

Don't run against heavies and assaults head on. 20 is the worst kintaro that's not a golden boy IMO. It's only one that armlock can also be good due to E points in torso and arms. That would depend on your weapon groups. Don't forget you have an armlock key that you can press in elevation maps.

Edited by ricardox, 30 August 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#4 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

Kintaro are design to be support mech for your frontline teammates, builds that play to its role will often do well. Load up on a couple LLaz and a bigger engine will change this mech around.

It is very safe to trim the side torso armour on Kintaro and install XL engine.
I currently have the K20 and K18, the number of times I died to side torso destruction can be counted on 2 hands, while having one or both leg blown out can be counted on just 1 hand.
So it is best to distribute more CT amour to the front, and make use of your speed to dodge behind teammate or cover.

If you try to brawl in a Kintaro, you better know what you are doing or you gonna have a bad time.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 30 August 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Something like this should work. Kind of like a CN9-AL, but with 1 extra SRM4. You may want to shave off some armour to get extra ammo, maybe reduce engine size to XL280 so you can get AMS.

I have an identical K20 build, but replaced the 3x SRM4 with 3x LRM5 w/ 2t ammo, trading burst fire for longer reach to provide better support.

#5 NaZotH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

I run my my k20 with this loadout. Works pretty well.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2d07272aa9731f

#6 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

The thing is so fragile, it gets blown to pieces by every other brawler (HBK, CN) you'll encounter. Three salvo's of those on your CT and you're gone. You might get lucky some matches where you get ignored for a while in a brawl (and do massive damage, because the KTO load outs ARE scary ), but against an organized group that will not work XD

I gave up on the KTO20 as a brawler. I am trying the "medium weapons platform" approach now. Small engine and as much big guns as you can fit. Stay with the slowest of your team and throw LRMs, and zapp large lasers. This is the mech i'm using for that. I'm not sure if i'm happy with this either though XD

#7 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da3ec9d251a3b8e

#8 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

All the builds offered look solid; I like the cut of Alistair's jib especially.

If you want to stick closer to what you already have, try http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68a2de859dac640

Endo is always a better choice than ferro every single time. They take up the same number of crit slots but endo takes more weight off the mech, no matter what. Get rid of ferro and use endo.

#9 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Here is a list of viable builds for the KTO-20.
I didn't bother setting the ratio between front armor/back armor. That's up to you, either way the torso armor is at max.

Short-Range Brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...542b38b0bd93d01

Mid-Range Brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12b250278c18c79

Indirect Fire LRMs
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9eec0a7aed8dcc6

Direct Fire LRMs
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8f358b969508833

Mid-Range Support
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dfb1b80567abea1

Mid-Range Direct Fire
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...72cd458ac714e9b

Light Hunter
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9f01c4aeb66b37

Edited by Typatty, 31 August 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#10 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

I have to say, that the KTO-20 and the Golden Boy suck pretty hard in the Kintaro line.

After mastering all Kintaros, I've found this KTO-20 loadout is doing pretty well. It's my final loadout for this mech. I play this as a hit and run mech and try as often as possible to adress the LRMs at close range.

Sometimes I mix around to apply AMS...

Edited by Frytrixa, 31 August 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#11 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

View Postaniviron, on 31 August 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

All the builds offered look solid; I like the cut of Alistair's jib especially.

If you want to stick closer to what you already have, try http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68a2de859dac640

Endo is always a better choice than ferro every single time. They take up the same number of crit slots but endo takes more weight off the mech, no matter what. Get rid of ferro and use endo.

Endo is always superior to FF all the time, but in this case I just don't want to fork out the CBill to swap out the preloaded FF.
Also, I didn't know Artemis IV will benefit StreakSRM too?

This is my K20, living life on the edge.
KTO-20

#12 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

View Postxengk, on 31 August 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Endo is always superior to FF all the time, but in this case I just don't want to fork out the CBill to swap out the preloaded FF.
Also, I didn't know Artemis IV will benefit StreakSRM too?

Artemis has been bugged in regards to ssrms since it was introduced, and the devs have as much as acknowledged that it will never be fixed. While it does not tighten the grouping on ssrms, it does halve the amount of time it takes to get a lock while taking up no crit space or weight. Might not seem like a big deal, but you're probably going to use the ssrms most against lights, and it matters quite a bit there.

#13 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

try this:
KTO-20
for me its work really nice... u can poke from far distance using ur ERLL and u can be pain in *** for light mechs itf they dare to close distance. Just stick to team, look for weak spots at enemy mechs and at 1st use ur LL to do dmg, if u are good with lasers this mech is pretty effective and u can get alot dmg with this setup and also kills/assists.

#14 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

View Postaniviron, on 31 August 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

Artemis has been bugged in regards to ssrms since it was introduced, and the devs have as much as acknowledged that it will never be fixed. While it does not tighten the grouping on ssrms, it does halve the amount of time it takes to get a lock while taking up no crit space or weight. Might not seem like a big deal, but you're probably going to use the ssrms most against lights, and it matters quite a bit there.

Didn't notice that before.

Artemis IV with no weight & crit at 750k Cbill vs BAP with 1.5t & 2 crit at 400k Cbill.
However, BAP would allow me to cut through ECM for locks.

#15 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0966775404a317a

4 ML, 2 SRM6, Bap if you pug -- use your left side as a side and torso turn like mad.

For pure pug play, 1PPC 1ERPPC - snipe and play smart.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...931650f7b443261

Edited by MavRCK, 01 September 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postxengk, on 01 September 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Didn't notice that before.

Artemis IV with no weight & crit at 750k Cbill vs BAP with 1.5t & 2 crit at 400k Cbill.
However, BAP would allow me to cut through ECM for locks.

I don't recall the rules on this, but BAP and Artemis bonuses might stack as well for even faster locks. I'm not 100% sure on this though, they may have changed this a while ago, and the forum search function is worthless.

#17 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

i just use 2LL (1 arm 1 torso-thought about both on the arm but figure i lose the arm then i'm mostly useless), and 3 LRM 5s on chainfire w/ 2 tons of ammo for annoyance. xl300 engine (88kph pre boost), ams, 352 armor, 16dhs and endo. tried more lasers but heat was an issue, tried lrm 15s but that left me with medium lasers which means brawling which means dead kintaro at the moment. works pretty well from about 200-600m- somehow got 5 kills once with it. but again requires you not being the focus of attention either.

#18 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postaniviron, on 01 September 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I don't recall the rules on this, but BAP and Artemis bonuses might stack as well for even faster locks. I'm not 100% sure on this though, they may have changed this a while ago, and the forum search function is worthless.

BAP doesn't provide faster missile lock, only faster target scan.
So there is nothing to stack between Artemis IV and BAP.
http://mwomercs.com/...0089-breakdown/

#19 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostTanar, on 01 September 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

i just use 2LL (1 arm 1 torso-thought about both on the arm but figure i lose the arm then i'm mostly useless), and 3 LRM 5s on chainfire w/ 2 tons of ammo for annoyance. xl300 engine (88kph pre boost), ams, 352 armor, 16dhs and endo. tried more lasers but heat was an issue, tried lrm 15s but that left me with medium lasers which means brawling which means dead kintaro at the moment. works pretty well from about 200-600m- somehow got 5 kills once with it. but again requires you not being the focus of attention either.

I run mine with the same loadout, except I carry 2 LLaz in the arm and 2 MLaz in the CT.
with only 250 armour, 17DHS and FF.
Alternative between LLaz and MLaz depending on range, most of time the MLaz remain unused while LRMs still have ammo. 2LLaz to exploit any hole the LRMs and teammate open up.

Will alpha my lazers at any expose internal I find, 28 pin-point-ish damage can be devastating.

#20 Spiketail Drake

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I run my KTO-20 like this: KTO-20 {2 LRM10 (4t) / 4 ML / SRM6 (1t) / 13 DHS / 275 XL}

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users