Kintaro Builds

83 replies to this topic

#61 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Surprised you went GB when the 18 can do basically everything the GB can with a bigger engine.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...862c26618de3ed7
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...03eb2a03786cdcb

#62 Facetious

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 October 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Yeah but at half a ton more than SRM2s 5 of them cost you 2.5 tons over 5 SRM2....
How much more useful that 2.5 tons is is what we are debating (right?)

Edit: 4 tons difference, cause of the Beagle AP.

Here's the thing about SRMs on the Kintaro. You've got a lot of missile hardpoints, which is great, but they're spread around your torso and arm. And the mech has fully articulated arms.

With SRMs you're going to have two different aim points, between the arms and the torso, which is going to make spamming them less effective. Unless you lock the arms to the torso, in which case you're wasting a mech with fully articulated arms.

With SSRMs you can use the aim point for the arms to acquire the lock, but then all missiles on the torso still use that lock, giving you a much better range of aiming.

It just seems to me that building an SRM2 spammer is not necessarily a bad idea, but doing it on this mech is a waste of one of the benefits of the machine, ie the arms.

#63 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostFacetious, on 09 October 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

It just seems to me that building an SRM2 spammer is not necessarily a bad idea, but doing it on this mech is a waste of one of the benefits of the machine, ie the arms.

Great - now I want to find a machine good at SRM2 spamming. :)

Darn contrariness. :)

#64 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

KTO-18 Punch&run

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...498eaa46eafabbb

#65 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 09 October 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Great - now I want to find a machine good at SRM2 spamming. :lol:

Darn contrariness. ;)

I do my SRM2 spamming on a Jenner D.
JR7-D

View PostPlaguetongue, on 10 October 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

If you alpha all 5 of those SRM6 you going to generate alot of heat from the heat penalty, I guess you are betting on being fast to disengage and cool off?
SRM hit detection are not very good right now, so most of the damage will be wasted.
However, I think 10~12 SRM are still detected.

This is what I run on my K18.
The mix of SRM and SSRM give it more utility on the battlefield, it can punch unsuspecting mechs in brawl and discourage light mechs from harassing your team. Chain firing the SSRM can rock the aim of enemy mech and save your teammate for that killing shot.
Heat is manageable as long as you can disengage from brawl and hide among your teammate for a few while.
KTO-18

#66 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Surprised you went GB when the 18 can do basically everything the GB can with a bigger engine.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...862c26618de3ed7
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...03eb2a03786cdcb

Not sure if you're referring to me, but I have an 18 too. I probably won't keep it though, as the GB can do basically everything the 18 can, only with a C-Bill bonus ;-). Seriously though, the GB is fast enough with the speed tweak, especially since I run it as a streak boat.

I've made my 19 into an SRM4 striker. It's actually a pretty high risk/reward build. It's fun though, so I think I'll keep the 19.

#67 Fire Mage

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Just purchased a couple kintaros yesterday. I have a GB and KTO-20.

So far, my KTO-20 has a 8:1 K/D ratio. Here's the specs:

3 SRM6
4 ML
XL 320 (94.2 KPH w/o speed tweak)
16 DHS

I've purchased around 20 mechs and so far this is one of the most entertaining :-)

#68 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'd just like to know why piloting a KTO19 feels like an Atlas with less armor and no punch to killl anything no matter what loadout I have on it?

#69 igavemymomkoolaid

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 96 posts
  • LocationHessia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Just to complete my builds here, my two other Kintaros.

Kintaro KTO-19. It's a brawler.

3x SRM6 + ARTEMIS and Medium Lasers

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2336053582dc62e

Kintaro KTO-20. Again LRM Supporter but with a better defence.

3x LRM5, Large and Medium Lasers

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...25cb486e2c70be1

#70 Nathaniel Aditya

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

Check out my KTO-20 Ultimate Buiild http://mwo.smurfy-ne...015c4570775fa83
3 x MED LASERS
2 x STREAK SRM 2
1 x LRM 20 + ARTEMIS IV
XL ENGINE 300

Deadly close-combat to far-combat mech

Edited by Nathaniel Aditya, 09 November 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#71 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Anyone else experiencing a sudden increase in CT death since the last patch? It's started to feel like I'm getting cored out faster and faster in all variants of the KTO.

Not to mention the random 40 points of damage from nothing when at 0 heat.

#72 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

My KTO19 "Light Reaper" http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab2fb4bdaab0038

My KTO 18 "SRM 26 Herpderper" http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c32eb02551c30a9

My KTO 20 "Skirmisher" http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0bddb1b1f8bc9f9

My Golden boy "Lrm support" http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df1d9db1f8071d0

And last but not least My Golden boy "Golden Shower" http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51916bc7e200e04

You'd be shocked at just what those 5 srms2's actually do....a machine gun missile boat....strip armour VERY FAST.

#73 Grumphff

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostSowaka, on 21 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

This is a bit of an open question to all people using 5x SSRM builds on the KTO-18... how effective are you? I just bought the KTO-18 specifically for this build and I'm having one hell of a time getting damage in. So far I've survived quite well and it feels like I've been hitting quite a few enemies, but most games I'm lucky if I get 1-2 kills and more than 250 damage. I've had a few times where I wouldn't be able to lock onto a specific enemy for what felt like 20 seconds or more, and if the enemy is even partially hidden behind cover nearly all the missiles hit the obstruction. I'm consistently hitting around 200 damage at the end of each match which feels a bit... low, considering how often and how hard I've been nailing some heavies and assaults with my rockets, it just doesn't feel like I have any punch whatsoever.

I run the 18 and 19 as LRM boats.. Average damage is 300 or so.. Max so far is 666 (weird).. I have LRMs and med lasers for them and on my 20 an ELL and lrms.. Easy 300 + builds if you play the maps well..

Edited by Grazzt68, 10 October 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#74 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

Long Post, my apologies: Happens when you really enjoy a particular mech, eh?

My 18 is a go to damage monster. 5SRM's 2ML's, 6 tons of ammo-modules-level 5 for SRM range, ML range
I tried artemis, and went back to standard. I've broken 1000 in the mech two days ago.
The complaints I see, sort of leave me confused. I'm wondering if you (whoever) tried it a couple of times, decided it wasn't for you, and now-based on a dozen games are giving advice.

Alpha almost any build of any mech and you'll shut down anymore. Yes.
Dont alpha unless you're about to die the SRMS' and Lasers are torso/arm...Yes.
Dont lock the arms, learn to aim to the arms, and to the primary torso. Multi task and reep the rewards.
Not that hard really.

View PostFire Mage, on 12 October 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Just purchased a couple kintaros yesterday. I have a GB and KTO-20.

So far, my KTO-20 has a 8:1 K/D ratio. Here's the specs:

I've purchased around 20 mechs and so far this is one of the most entertaining :-)

I mastered all three, it boiled down to the 20 or the 18.
I went ahead and took both to 50-60 battles and decided the 18 edged out the 20 in surprizebuttsechs...you know...where you finally sneak up BEHIND an atlas or a dire, and they are just blasting away totally unaware and know you got ONE alpha or it turns around and ends your game. You locked them and sit there nervously waiting for the data to see where the weak spots are. HOPING his team mates dont notice a very healthy, very dangerous mech in their midst.
Type in "hey (whatever it is) turn around". that moment when they stop shooting, look around, then start to turn and you flatten them. I LIVE for that stuff.

I LOVE THE KINTARO Any medium that routinely deals out the same damage numbers as an assault needs some lovin'
I used to take them for granted, but a kintaro worries me more than a direwhale if I see one coming.

I wont post the wins, the point is EVEN on those rollstomp loss teams, you pull some numbers. Get a good team?
I started taking screens of losses and wins so I can look back and start seeing what mechs are dealing damage regardless outcome.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ONLY posted losses. For a POINT. win lose or draw, it must always produce. Well, not always, but the games where it does less than 200 damage are very rare. 2 in 10?

I've tried streaks, m'eh.....FUN chasing lights, but I never felt like I was helping the team.
I even ran the 18 stock with double heat sinks for 20 or so battles. LRM5's chainfired were too much fun,but it did not feel like I could turn the battle if it started going south like it does all the time in pugs.
As said earlier, ran artemis and every combo I could...simply NOT worth the weight penalty, loss of SRMS's or armor, or engine. Total waste IMO
I tried from much smaller standards to much larger XL's and settled into the XL280 as the all around allowance of armor, sinks, ammo, weapons.
Its a "shorter" range mech, but again, pugs boil down to that almost always.

chat bar hilarity after a particular brutal game- I think I killed the last 7 they had. Everything went my way, stupid enemy, cored assaults etc. Enemy charging one at a time, ALL the stuff that usually happens on MY team, LOL.

This was an incredibly exciting game Friday night? I think during the first of three challenges.

Posted Image

#75 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Posted Image

BOAT ALL THE LURMS

i spied this the last challenge,and yes that KPH reading is its max speed.

#76 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

The BEST thing about IS missiles is the huge lump that comes in. Catch anything out in the open with 40-50 missiles and its a thing of beauty...unless its you... clan missiles are all strung out, I've taken hits but got behind cover plenty of times when the blue stream comes in

#77 Asterios

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 627 posts
  • LocationBelarus, Minsk

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

The funny thing is that KTO-18 got quirks for LRM5 which is the only one in its stock variant instead of 3xSRM6 :)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kintaro

Edited by Asterios, 20 October 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#78 ThePowersNation

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 13 October 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Long Post, my apologies: Happens when you really enjoy a particular mech, eh?

My 18 is a go to damage monster. 5SRM's 2ML's, 6 tons of ammo-modules-level 5 for SRM range, ML range
I tried artemis, and went back to standard. I've broken 1000 in the mech two days ago.
The complaints I see, sort of leave me confused. I'm wondering if you (whoever) tried it a couple of times, decided it wasn't for you, and now-based on a dozen games are giving advice.

Alpha almost any build of any mech and you'll shut down anymore. Yes.
Dont alpha unless you're about to die the SRMS' and Lasers are torso/arm...Yes.
Dont lock the arms, learn to aim to the arms, and to the primary torso. Multi task and reep the rewards.
Not that hard really.

I mastered all three, it boiled down to the 20 or the 18.
I went ahead and took both to 50-60 battles and decided the 18 edged out the 20 in surprizebuttsechs...you know...where you finally sneak up BEHIND an atlas or a dire, and they are just blasting away totally unaware and know you got ONE alpha or it turns around and ends your game. You locked them and sit there nervously waiting for the data to see where the weak spots are. HOPING his team mates dont notice a very healthy, very dangerous mech in their midst.
Type in "hey (whatever it is) turn around". that moment when they stop shooting, look around, then start to turn and you flatten them. I LIVE for that stuff.

I LOVE THE KINTARO Any medium that routinely deals out the same damage numbers as an assault needs some lovin'
I used to take them for granted, but a kintaro worries me more than a direwhale if I see one coming.

I wont post the wins, the point is EVEN on those rollstomp loss teams, you pull some numbers. Get a good team?
I started taking screens of losses and wins so I can look back and start seeing what mechs are dealing damage regardless outcome.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ONLY posted losses. For a POINT. win lose or draw, it must always produce. Well, not always, but the games where it does less than 200 damage are very rare. 2 in 10?

I've tried streaks, m'eh.....FUN chasing lights, but I never felt like I was helping the team.
I even ran the 18 stock with double heat sinks for 20 or so battles. LRM5's chainfired were too much fun,but it did not feel like I could turn the battle if it started going south like it does all the time in pugs.
As said earlier, ran artemis and every combo I could...simply NOT worth the weight penalty, loss of SRMS's or armor, or engine. Total waste IMO
I tried from much smaller standards to much larger XL's and settled into the XL280 as the all around allowance of armor, sinks, ammo, weapons.
Its a "shorter" range mech, but again, pugs boil down to that almost always.

chat bar hilarity after a particular brutal game- I think I killed the last 7 they had. Everything went my way, stupid enemy, cored assaults etc. Enemy charging one at a time, ALL the stuff that usually happens on MY team, LOL.

This was an incredibly exciting game Friday night? I think during the first of three challenges.

Posted Image

Love it. Great to see a Kintaro doing work. Noticed you aren't running an AMS, but was wondering if you have BAP? And what engine are you using?

#79 Asterios

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 627 posts
  • LocationBelarus, Minsk

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

I think something like that:
KTO-18 - BAP, XL280
and you also can:
KTO-18 or
KTO-18
+Radar Dep, Seismic, UAV and Art\Air

Edited by Asterios, 24 November 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#80 conquistadorst

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Anyone use the tweak for an SRM4 build on the KTO-19? I've noticed there's a delay on firing on of the SRM tubes, is that intended or a bug?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users