• 69 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Couldn't you do it 2 Hour earlier? It's always in EU Primetime :/

#22 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Scheduled downtime is not a hotfix in my thesaurus.

Ofcourse, Open beta with $ isn't an open beta, and launch is just a patch day hot fix to remove the blue beta text.

#23 OffC3nter

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 32 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

After the first few drops i do each session I start to get the most ungodly loading times. hoping this fixes that a bit!

#24 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

To be fair folks, the general patch schedule has been one patch for every two weeks, with the patch generally being delivered on a Tuesday at 10 AM PDT.

Outside of that, the pattern that they have always followed is the removal of the sale every Tuesday at 10 AM PDT, regardless of if it is a patch day or not.

This hot fix is coming to coincide with what would generally be the sale removal and not maintenance at all. It is also called a hot fix because the branch that contains these fixes has to be compiled as a part of the main project and pushed separate from their already established patch schedule.

There are many of you who are frustrated, but being upset that they're pushing through a fix that is going to help people's stability? Come on guys, you're better than this, or at least I would hope you are.

#25 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

This is good news. I have noticed that there seems to be at least 1 disconnect almost every game.

#26 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Postzhajin, on 10 September 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

Its not really a "hotfix" if its done during normal maintenance time. Given its the week before launch I was hoping for a real patch today...

honesty my original post was more of a snipe at the lack of real content coming before launch. this may actually be a "hotfix", since a modern hot fix is a patch that does not go through the standard quality testing channels. I will say though it would have been smart to push a patch today and not next week.

pushing new content on "launch" day has always been a recipe for disaster. we have beta specifically to avoid the risk of new content being pushed at the same time as a big influx of new players. now in mmos this never actually happens anymore and beta is really just a "pre-release" to raise more cash.

but do have hopes that some day a developer will come along and learn from all the mistakes of the past...

that day is not sept 17th...

#27 Kalam Mehkar

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostDragonsFire, on 10 September 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

To be fair folks, the general patch schedule has been one patch for every two weeks, with the patch generally being delivered on a Tuesday at 10 AM PDT.

Outside of that, the pattern that they have always followed is the removal of the sale every Tuesday at 10 AM PDT, regardless of if it is a patch day or not.

This hot fix is coming to coincide with what would generally be the sale removal and not maintenance at all. It is also called a hot fix because the branch that contains these fixes has to be compiled as a part of the main project and pushed separate from their already established patch schedule.

There are many of you who are frustrated, but being upset that they're pushing through a fix that is going to help people's stability? Come on guys, you're better than this, or at least I would hope you are.

Thank you for saying this. Too bad I can't count on others to read it much less appreciate what is said...

#28 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postzhajin, on 10 September 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

LOL @ "Launch".

Agreed

#29 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

View Postzhajin, on 10 September 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

honesty my original post was more of a snipe at the lack of real content coming before launch. this may actually be a "hotfix", since a modern hot fix is a patch that does not go through the standard quality testing channels. I will say though it would have been smart to push a patch today and not next week.

pushing new content on "launch" day has always been a recipe for disaster. we have beta specifically to avoid the risk of new content being pushed at the same time as a big influx of new players. now in mmos this never actually happens anymore and beta is really just a "pre-release" to raise more cash.

but do have hopes that some day a developer will come along and learn from all the mistakes of the past...

that day is not sept 17th...

I would counter that while open betas are often used as promotional tools to attempt to reach out to audiences, they are still very much used for troubleshooting of features.

While you may disagree with the process or the results or even the progress of this particular developer, there have been a number of cases already where play-testing features on a large scale has directly resulted in fixes that they could not find in an internal deployment.

Edit: I too agree that launch day feature pushes can be risky. But given the nature of F2P games in general, the content pipeline for a particular title is never truly done, nor should it be.

Edited by DragonsFire, 10 September 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#30 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostN44B4LIFE, on 10 September 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

I would appreciate if they finally fix the in game cursor bug.

Lemme guess you like me have a 2-3 screen setup where the 2nd it's for navigating web browsers.

This cursor bug it's a side effect of the early match screen (the one were you see a mini map chats and both teams) if you make the mistake to browse a webpage or to click somewhere in the second screen the bug happens almost guaranteed.

And then you need to relog to solve the issue.

So far my best solution it's when the launcher start to search a match, keep MWO client maximized and DO NOT TOUCH THE MOUSE until the startup sequence in the mech initializes, after that you can Alt+tab even without suffering the bug.

#31 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I must be one of the few people who rarely has stability issues. Rarely have I blackscreened, DC'ed, crashed in any way in the past 4 months. For that matter stability has been good for me all along.

#32 Donnie Silveray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Considering their oath of silence of late and the length of this downtime, has me wondering what's coming up. If I was any dev I'd at the least toss in some vital stability/core change and get some statistics on it then making adjustments for launch. But considering the timeline for releasing patches, chances are that right now aside from small bits they already have their launch build just about ready to deploy.

#33 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

MC Orion at least. Woop woop. Probably the only person still amped about that.

#34 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 10 September 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Lemme guess you like me have a 2-3 screen setup where the 2nd it's for navigating web browsers.

This cursor bug it's a side effect of the early match screen (the one were you see a mini map chats and both teams) if you make the mistake to browse a webpage or to click somewhere in the second screen the bug happens almost guaranteed.

And then you need to relog to solve the issue.

So far my best solution it's when the launcher start to search a match, keep MWO client maximized and DO NOT TOUCH THE MOUSE until the startup sequence in the mech initializes, after that you can Alt+tab even without suffering the bug.

Ive actually had it where I alt-tab in the middle of the game and it happen. I don't even screw in my second monitor anymore so I can unplug it when I get the bug.

#35 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

View Postsaagri, on 10 September 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Ive actually had it where I alt-tab in the middle of the game and it happen. I don't even screw in my second monitor anymore so I can unplug it when I get the bug.

Odd mine it's just related to that early splashpage where the game allow to use the cursor, and somehow when using it in windows it borks the game so the cursor remain while figthing and can minimize it anytime wich is downright annoying nothing more.

#36 Tarby

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Can you hot fix a couple of new game modes in?

#37 Athurio

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostCountry Gravy, on 10 September 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Anything that they have in the works would likely be saved until launch. Since they won't have a lot of stuff that people were counting on, every little bit of content would help.

You say that, but they kind of have a storied past concerning large patches causing negative issues. Perhaps they should be focusing on smoothness most of all right now.

#38 N44B4LIFE

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yes i got a second screen but the problem stil happens when i only have one monitor connected to my gpu.

#39 ChuChuRo

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Less disconnects sounds good. Reconnect button would be even better.

#40 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostChuChuRo, on 10 September 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Less disconnects sounds good. Reconnect button would be even better.

+1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users