Mechwarrior Online Heat Simulator (+Ghost Heat, Ambience Temp Effects)

101 replies to this topic

#41 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostMarthe Pryde, on 15 September 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Ghost heat is in!
it's was a tad bit tricky to implement, but yeah finally got it working。Just tick the 'Enable Ghost Heat' checkbox under the Heat indicator to enable it。

Next on the feature pipeline : Import from Smurfy

if you guys see feel any problems with the ghost heat computation, just comment on this thread。

Cheers!

Playing around with it a bit, looks like your ghost heat numbers are off. Firing three PPCs in alpha or as a group generates no ghost heat, but should generate the first tier of it. Firing four PPCs in alpha with GH should overheat the mech instantly (got your sim set up as per my AWS-8Q) which currently happens in-game on every map except Frozen/alpine, where it goes to 97%- your sim only takes me to about 75%.

#42 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

To think that you could do it but PGI can't code it into the client makes me feel dizzy.

#43 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Somewhat minor update, I've added a damage indicator as well at the right section so you'd see how much accumulated damage you've done (might be useful for those who want to visualize how much damage is dealt before overheating)

#44 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostMarthe Pryde, on 13 September 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Hey guys, I built an online heat simulator for MWO during my spare time, you can check it out here http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/

It works like a dream. But needs 15 heat ER PPC update, 10 heat PPC update.

Now question. Can you make a similar one for comparison, where the heatsinks do not raise threshold, and threshold can be hardset? It'd be great on my arguments trying to get this thing fixed. (For this, DHS as 2.0, SHS as 1.0 please.)

View PostMarthe Pryde, on 15 September 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

hmm yeah, I've just finished reading through it all but nothing there says that engine mounted heatsinks count as internal heatsinks

They do not. Only the heatsinks that come with the engine are true internal double heatsinks. Anything the user can add to the mech is "1.4 DHS."

Also additional info to further improve it.
Forest Colony, Crimson Strait, Canyon, River City (both). No changes to heat.
Forest colony snow, Alpine = + 10% threshold + 10% cooling.
Frozen City = + 20% threshold + 20% cooling
Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, Tourmaline = - 20% threshold - 20% cooling.

Edited by Koniving, 11 October 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#45 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 October 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

It works like a dream. But needs 15 heat ER PPC update, 10 heat PPC update.

Now question. Can you make a similar one for comparison, where the heatsinks do not raise threshold, and threshold can be hardset? It'd be great on my arguments trying to get this thing fixed. (For this, DHS as 2.0, SHS as 1.0 please.)

Yes, I would love this feature so much. It would be an excellent way to strengthen the arguments in favor of faster cooling and fixed capacity. Ideally, this feature should allow us to customize the dissipation rate per sink and set the capacity to whatever we want.

#46 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Exactly. If nothing else it would give us a tool where we can compare mathematical facts about both systems and figure out a good middle ground that would not require or at least minimize the use of ghost heat.

Thusly simplifying the game and removing a huge barrier between new players and the game's difficult to grasp mechanics when it comes to heatscale and the core system.

#47 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 October 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Exactly. If nothing else it would give us a tool where we can compare mathematical facts about both systems and figure out a good middle ground that would not require or at least minimize the use of ghost heat.

Thusly simplifying the game and removing a huge barrier between new players and the game's difficult to grasp mechanics when it comes to heatscale and the core system.

There was another thread discussing the whole heat system and I was thinking the exact same thing. We could esentially use this as a test bed for the whole discussion without having to implement anything into the game. This would be a powerful tool within that context.

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

There's one like that in my signature. B)

#49 Kiritumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIyanden

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

That is most good! It lets me test 6 flamers vs 20 heatsinks

#50 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Can we get an autofire checkbox, so we don't have to keep frantically clicking on group firing buttons? It'd be nice to be able to watch how different setups work on sustained firing, particularly when you're firing weapons like AC/2's and such.

#51 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

It's an interesting tool. Great to get a real feel for how often you can fire with certain loadouts. However, I'm noticing a discrepancy between what your simulator is spitting out and what the smurfy weaponlab is giving me. I am unsure as to which is the more accurate of the two. For an example, one smurfy build I am testing, firing only specific weapons continuously, yours times out to 9 seconds to overheat while smurfy predicts 14 seconds. I do not have a mech that can simulate the loadout easily to test it, however (besides which, proving grounds uses no pilot tree items anyways).

Which reminds me, any way to add a timer that, upon start of the weapon fire, will stop as soon as your heat hits 100%? I mean, counting manually isn't particularly hard, but it would be a nice feature to have that displayed time until shutdown.

#52 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!
@koniving : 15 heat ER PPCs applied. wonder how i missed that change tho, sorry about that. Really greatful about the computations for heat per maps, will do that next! Grinding C-bills a couple of weeks ago for the Phoenix mechs is eating a lot of my time tho, please be patient.

@anivion : can you link me to your Awesome8Q's smurfy build?

@pariah : i just applied the 15 heat fix to the ER PPCs, is that one of the weapons you were testing?

#53 tailgunner

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGood ole' germany

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

This has been added to the MWO:Toolbox.

Edited by tailgunner, 27 October 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#54 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Great!

Along with Cool Run and Heat Containment, Fast Fire skill needs to be added.

Also I suggest adding two sliders for engine power (more heat when running at full speed) and ambient temperature.

But great job anyway.

Edited by Morang, 27 October 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#55 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yep! That may have been what was doing it. Partly.

Oddly, your simulator was less optimistic than Smurfy's most of the time when not using PPC. It gives a good range, however, between the two to get a better idea of where it really lies.

#56 DaddyP1G

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

This is great. Going to the unit Forum.

#57 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

****. The very first time I saw this I thought "Hey, can this guy twiddle with heat capacity and dissipation rate so we could actually balance MWO without Ghost Heat?"

#58 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostMarthe Pryde, on 13 September 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Hey guys, I built an online heat simulator for MWO during my spare time, you can check it out here http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/

Upcoming features :
- import loadout from smurfy
- Environmental Heat -- still figuring out the 'per map' computation for this

September 16 update :
Ghost heat added

suggestions are welcome (just to add a bit of context, this is my first javascript thingy, I'm actually using this project to learn how javascript works)

Does your program take into account engine heat sink slots and buff them accordingly? If it does, it should be an editable option as not everyone stores heat sinks in the engine when they can use the heat sink to crit pad (I don't think it does anyway).

#59 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

Extra heat sinks that you put into the engine slots still count as 1.4, not 2.0. Only the built in engine heat sinks count as 2.0. An XL225 has 9 built in 2.0, an XL250 has 10 built in 2.0, and an XL275 has 10, plus a slot for a single 1.4. Etc.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 28 October 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#60 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostMorang, on 27 October 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Great!

Along with Cool Run and Heat Containment, Fast Fire skill needs to be added.

Also I suggest adding two sliders for engine power (more heat when running at full speed) and ambient temperature.

But great job anyway.

Fast fire at the moment is currently non-functional in the game as well. But yes it's likely a good idea to add.

Ambient temperature is simply + or - 5, 10, 20% threshold and cooling. So just selecting a map is all you need. The game does NOT actually use temperature systems. Literally Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, and Tourmaline Desert are all "-20% threshold, -20% cooling rate."

But yes, if we can figure out exactly how much heat the engine generates @ speed that would be a great feature to add.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users