27 replies to this topic

#1 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

When equipped, in basic forms allows up to 2.5% extra weight out of the total tonnage to be carried by the mech. Advanced mode get its to 5%

So an Atlas can carry 105 tons, hunchback 52.5t tons etc, in exchange for a module slot and possibly reduction in speed or acceleration/deceleration.

#2 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

ohhhh hell no!

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Nope. Reference LORE.

#4 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

#5 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

This is against canon, balance, and all common sense. I could not support this less.

#6 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostToong, on 14 September 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

This is against canon, balance, and all common sense. I could not support this less.

Have to disagre with all of you.
Many things in MWO are already agaisnt canon ,check,

You can already reduce weight and add more stuff by taking of armour, and you dont see mechs with lower armour running around with 50 AC 20s, its not going to break the game. There are many other limiting factors, so its not against balance in that sense, and in the other sense ALL modules are against balance if you think of them as an advantage, check.

And lastly, do you really beleive adding a tiny bit extra weight to a mech will make it completely unable to to move or function in any way whatsoever? Its like saying if the towing capcity of a car is 2 Tonnes if you add one or two kg suddenly it wont move, its not the case, so it is not against common sense at ALL. In fact what your are saying is completley against common sense, Check.

Whilst I respect your opinions that the idea may be a bad one for mechwarrior or even mwo, and this may indeed be true, I dont see any of your reasons against it as valid.

Edited by l33tworks, 14 September 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#7 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

No, thank you.

#8 SashaFierce

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Definitely not.

#9 Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

Never.

#10 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

No.

#11 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

How about this reason then: it becomes mandatory. You may as well remove one module slot and add 5 tons to every mech. It will accomplish the same thing.

#12 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

yeah, na. nope.

#13 Deadmeat313

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationPreston - UK

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

No thank you.

#14 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Good that your thinking about new modules. But this one is a wash as it would be "Mandatory" as soon as it was introduced if you wanted to stay competitive.

No how about a "Change hard point" module instead? Allows you to turn a Hp from one type to another granting greater variation to the mechs load outs? No wait remind me again HOW many UAC5 do you need to have to get ghost heat...

#15 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostCaswallon, on 15 September 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

Good that your thinking about new modules. But this one is a wash as it would be "Mandatory" as soon as it was introduced if you wanted to stay competitive.

No how about a "Change hard point" module instead? Allows you to turn a Hp from one type to another granting greater variation to the mechs load outs? No wait remind me again HOW many UAC5 do you need to have to get ghost heat...

I dont see why it would be mandatory when module slots are limited, and as new ones tart coming out your going to have to weigh up the pros vs cons for your playstyle, mech and build. It may be better for you to reduce your armour and get another more beneficial module vs taking this one IF you need the extra tonnage, and on many mechs its a big if.

There could be drawbacks as I mentions such as reduced acceleration and decceleration, or top speed.

In addition, it doesn't have to be 5%. It can be 1.5% and 2.5% extra on top of your maximum tonnage

Most mechs you are limited by hardpoints anyway. For example an atlas std 300 engine is the sweet spot and even when you pack on the best there is available you still have a lot of tons left.

Now what you suggested, an altering HARD point module, would cause just as much if not more "chaos", whereas a tonnage module hardly changed things much at all.

Now, how about a module that gives you an extra module slot :D

Edited by l33tworks, 15 September 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#16 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 15 September 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Now, how about a module that gives you an extra module slot :D

LOL its called "Mastery" in PGI's grand scheme of things friend.... 21K XP to be able to cram another circuit board in your console... yaay!

#17 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 14 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Many things in MWO are already agaisnt canon ,check,

None of the things in MWO are against the spirit of the canon. Check.

You can already reduce weight and add more stuff by taking of armour, and you dont see mechs with lower armour running around with 50 AC 20s, its not going to break the game. There are many other limiting factors, so its not against balance in that sense, and in the other sense ALL modules are against balance if you think of them as an advantage, check.

The limiting factor you refer to IS maximum tonnage, and I have no idea what you're even talking about with modules being against balance. Check.

And lastly, do you really beleive adding a tiny bit extra weight to a mech will make it completely unable to to move or function in any way whatsoever? Its like saying if the towing capcity of a car is 2 Tonnes if you add one or two kg suddenly it wont move, its not the case, so it is not against common sense at ALL. In fact what your are saying is completley against common sense, Check.

Common sense as in the thing you need in order to understand that allowing people to arbitrarily make 'mechs heavier is a really bad idea. Not common sense as in whether or not Battletech adheres to real world logic (it doesn't.) Check.

Whilst I respect your opinions...

Putting an arrogant Check after every point I have to make in a bid to make my opponent's argument look less credible. Check.

Edited by Toong, 15 September 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#18 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostToong, on 15 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Backtalk

Schooled the OP. Check.

#19 vv3k70r

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yes, mech can carry five power armors. Clans do this.
Elementals, not guns, not armor, not small boys called Cevin. Just power armors do detach before the assault.

#20 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

the idea around it in a game in a very general sense is quite logical.
however when adding in the specifics and talking about this game it does not fit so well.
the is no need to add anything at all, never mind how many variables it would add to balancing.
Don't care for TT or Cannon for most of it, somethings are nice and make sense.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users