#21 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 18 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

It is a fair amount of the reason I do not run massively competitive builds on my mechs - yes I lose a lot

In the absence of any genuine metagame, I have no other metagoals other than to increase my k/d ratio and w/l ratio, and along the way, keep Mastering new Mech chassis.

#22 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

Use your macro tools not just for UAC5, but for some short chat commands.

"Stick together"

"2 brawler wanna follow me through tunnel?"

"I'm an awesome lrm boat, please use "R" key"

"I spotted their maingroup"

"2-3 fast mechs back to base, they are going to cap"

"Sorry for friendly fire"

I'll bet you can come up with usefull stuff too.

Tell new players to visit the forum.

I read one post here, someone said he didn't know the keys, so the guys maybe had never played a computer game before and doesn't know, there is an options menu.
Don't try a tactic with your premade group, without telling the pug about it, and if you do so, when the team loses, it's definitve your fault, so start insulting yourself in the chat, after a fail, at least some honesty would be nice.

#23 Joarg

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

As long as single and new players are matched against premade groups, this game is a joke (and yes, i lose at least 90% of my games, getting steamrolled).
New players do not even know the maps, so writing something about "water, tunnel" and so on has no meaning on top of "Who is this wannabe commander?".
Random group against organised group is bound to be a massaker.

This game needs a random only mode or it is not going to get good.

#24 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Far longer established games already show, that the ELO formulas are poor at determining skill in any situation, that is not 1v1. Hence the whole ELO system is worthless if not based on 1v1 matches. Hence pugs will never be balanced drops. Hard learning lesson for PGI.

#25 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi there! I'm a PUG.
I generally drop alone. I'm not a bad player and I'll work with the team. I play the role my chosen mech is designed to do and I share info with my team (if I have a chance to type). If someone takes command and provides a strategy I will do my best to fulfill those orders.

But... If you are insulting in your commands or suggestions; if you damn your team for a bunch of noobs; If you gang up and TK that trial mech because the new kid driving it accidentally stripped your back armor, well then you are on your own. Respect will form a team, contempt will divide and destroy your group.

Be respectful, communicate clearly, and be understanding of new players. This is only a game; don't take it too personally.

#26 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

These are really great tips. I am really happy to see that there are people out there that are pitching in to make this game enjoyable for new players and PUGs and maybe as a result thereof for the "old timers" as well. We were all new at one time and few started out as anything other than a PUG themselves.

#27 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostWin Ott, on 23 September 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

Hi there! I'm a PUG.
I generally drop alone. I'm not a bad player and I'll work with the team. I play the role my chosen mech is designed to do and I share info with my team (if I have a chance to type). If someone takes command and provides a strategy I will do my best to fulfill those orders.

But... If you are insulting in your commands or suggestions; if you damn your team for a bunch of noobs; If you gang up and TK that trial mech because the new kid driving it accidentally stripped your back armor, well then you are on your own. Respect will form a team, contempt will divide and destroy your group.

Be respectful, communicate clearly, and be understanding of new players. This is only a game; don't take it too personally.

This is the biggest turnoff for PUGging and new players. New players know they're new, and while some expect to be good, most realize they won't be, so telling them they're bad is one thing, actually giving them advise is much more useful. Beyond that, players who aren't new sometimes have a bad game, or sometimes just get steamrolled by a good team. Heck, even good players can die quickly or get taken out by other good (or occasionally lucky) players.

And remember, don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence. No one likes being shot after the drop, just give a friendly warning, and move on. If it continues, then deal with it.

#28 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 16 September 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Also, newer players should know that the proper response to your opponents saying "GG", after they just steamrolled you, is to say "DIAF."

And if you're on the team that steamrolled the other guys, don't ever say "GG." It comes off as condescending.

I think you need to gain some maturity... Offering a GG or good-game after the match is good sportsmanship pure and simple, if you take it as condescending then you are behaving immaturely about good sportsmanship. I offer a GG after 99% of my matches win or lose. GG is about good sportsmanship, if any community ever needed lessons on good sportsmanship it is the online gaming community.

#29 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I was 2 minutes into a match tonight, and I could hear everyone firing weapons, but not a single target had been locked.

I asked my team to use the R key to lock targets. And someone asked me where the R key was.

I thought he was kidding ... but he finished the match with a score of 3, so maybe he was serious.

(All night I have had first-timers on my team. 15 straight losses to show for it.)

Edited by Appogee, 28 September 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#30 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 September 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

I was 2 minutes into a match tonight, and I could hear everyone firing weapons, but not a single target had been locked.

I asked my team to use the R key to lock targets. And someone asked me where the R key was.

I thought he was kidding ... but he finished the match with a score of 3, so maybe he was serious.

(All night I have had first-timers on my team. 15 straight losses to show for it.)

In his defense, maybe his kb was in lower case B)

#31 MrStevenWolfe

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Federation Space

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Howdy, I'm a PUG.

I've been playing MWO since it was about four days into open beta (haven't spent a lot of real cash on it, though), but there are days I feel like a complete noob. Mainly it's either sheepish teammates or a lack of coordination. There was an amazing moment I had the other day, though:

I'm usually rocking a Centurion: two Large lasers, two mediums, and two LRM 10s with enough ammo to shatter the moon. I was... unfortunate enough to face a skilled hunchback player rocking out with nine medium lasers. As soon as he sees me fire my missles, he floors it and blasts my LRMs barely at the medium's effective range, severing my 'Mechs left arm at the shoulder. Not to be outdone, I alpha'd everything I could into his shoulder. but he got lucky at fired another barrage into my cockpit before I could cripple him. I thought to myself, "Well, he found something that works." So I told him, "Good duel, (insertpilot's name here)"

And he has the class to say, "Thnx, u did gud, 2"

There is a lot of skill and class in this game, you just have to show some first!

#32 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

I never type "GG" in all chat if my team wins 12-3, 12-2, 12-1 or 12-0. It's simply bad form. Plain and simple. There is no long discussion about why it was a good game, if it really was. I will however type in team chat "gj all" if we win, or "good try" if we lose. If we get steam rolled, I will type "well-played enemy team" in all chat. It rankles me when we get rolled and someone types "gg close". I don't care if they don't mean it, because there's no way for me to tell whether they do or not.

#33 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

View Postmailin, on 01 October 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I never type "GG" in all chat if my team wins 12-3, 12-2, 12-1 or 12-0. It's simply bad form. Plain and simple. There is no long discussion about why it was a good game, if it really was. I will however type in team chat "gj all" if we win, or "good try" if we lose. If we get steam rolled, I will type "well-played enemy team" in all chat. It rankles me when we get rolled and someone types "gg close". I don't care if they don't mean it, because there's no way for me to tell whether they do or not.

I've been in a few steamrolls where it was really close untill it wasn't. teams trading damage till 1-2 go down, and then it just goes down hill from there. You know, the game where it's 12-2, but those 10 survivors are holding on with duct tape and super glue. There's sometimes more than just the final score that makes it close.

Sometimes I say GG, sometimes I don't. I'm never disingenuous when I do say it though.

#34 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I just never want someone to take it the wrong way. I know what you mean Bront, sometimes at the end of match I'm saying to myself, "whoa . . . I made it." It's these matches that I'm tempted to type 'gg' but I always wait to see how many of my teammates died before typing it, out of respect for the enemy. It's impossible to have a conversation about how well the enemy played and how it could have easily been the other way around, because once the game ends it seems like no one sticks around to chat. It's understandable, but sometimes unfortunate.

#35 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

A couple of things. I'm a pug and probably not very good because i just can't help myself from taking my Hunchie and trying to kick that Atlas in the seeds. Rarely ends well but it still is kind of fun if you can get away with it, usually with no armor. I used to play Starcraft2 and this community is way more polite than that one. So for that i thank you all. As far as communication goes is it possible to voice chat with your team as a pug or is that beyond the bounds of current technology.

#36 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

valt901, Most of us use a program like C3 or TeamSpeak 3 to group up and play together. I use TeamSpeak 3 and use a public channel, na1.mech-connect.net I don't know how other channels are, but this one has a good mix of Merc Corps guys and just us pugs. The tone is friendly and polite. It's pretty easy to find a few people to drop with anytime. Look me up if you log on, we'll play a few rounds. :D

#37 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

i will "GG" if it actually was a good game- as in lots of losses on both sides, a cap by the last survivor or two on conquest that wins the match of just misses- or the last spider (i mean mech) that surived long enough to reach 750, one where both teams are in the 600+ range at the end. where the match was conceivably good (or at least decent- 12-6+) for both teams involved and both teams could have fun.

a 12-0 done in under 4 minutes, the 1:30 cap loss light base swarm, even longer matches where the losing side doesn't break 4 kills i'll tell my team "gj" if we're on the winning side but keep my mouth shut in all chat because i'm sure the other side aren;t very pleased with the result and might see a "GG" as rubbing their faces in it. ""GG close" is even worse. kinda like taking a baseball bat and hitting somone in the ribs for a minute or two as they lay there in pain then telling him afterwards "nice fight"

but most importantly- whatever you do- if you do lose you must make sure to spend the rest of the match complaining to anyone who will listen (because you've been dead for a while and have plenty of time to type) about how "if it wasn;t for all the ***** noobs on your team" you would have won cause you're that godly a pilot that it requires a 23-1 disadvantage for you to lose.

disclaimer- the previous paragraph may or may not have been typed with some mild exaggeration.

#38 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostTanar, on 04 October 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

disclaimer- the previous paragraph may or may not have been typed with some mild exaggeration.

And liberally slathered with great heaps of sarcasm, too.

In other news: I agree with what some of the last few people have been saying. Say 'GG' when it's actually reasonably close- saying it when you stomp the other team often comes across as sarcastically arrogant or mocking. This is mostly because a lot of people -will- use 'gg' to mock people who've had a bad time of it. I don't know if it's most or less than half, but there are a lot of people who will.

#39 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostBront, on 02 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I've been in a few steamrolls where it was really close untill it wasn't. teams trading damage till 1-2 go down, and then it just goes down hill from there. You know, the game where it's 12-2, but those 10 survivors are holding on with duct tape and super glue. There's sometimes more than just the final score that makes it close.

Sometimes I say GG, sometimes I don't. I'm never disingenuous when I do say it though.

This. Kills don't always tell the whole story. A sniping battle that just goes on and on until one side finally charges or couple of lights flank and then one side just crumples from CLG.

#40 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

i take company command and put a way point out of bounds.
this way you get rid of the herp derp and everyone has a better experience.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 06 October 2013 - 09:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users