Just In Time For Launch - Caps Are Way Up!

41 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

You need need need to implement a Death Match style mode because the vast majority of assault mode players play like it while a small minority revel in ticking off the majority through sneaky Base Captures. This is just one more thing that will frustrate noobs out of the game as they come tomorrow.

Just today I lost 3 games my team was decisively winning because a lack of lights or a couple of dead lights meant the rest of the team couldn't reach the base in time.

"A Win is a Win" the cappers love to say.

Well not when you aren't playing the same game we are. If Cappers really wanted to play that way they should play conquest.

The Devs like to think that Capping adds strategy, well sorry but rock paper scissors is not strategy. If one team decides to play Cap and the other team plays Mechwarrior, game over, CAP beats Mechwarrior.

Edited by Richard Strong, 16 September 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Deathmatch already exists under two different names.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Try conquest, even though its based around capping since the caps take so long you often get in some good brawls.

#4 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Learn to find and shoot lights. They are your salvation just as much as they are devious.

Frankly, if you're complaining about lights, you've probably not driven them.

#5 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 September 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Learn to find and shoot lights. They are your salvation just as much as they are devious.

Frankly, if you're complaining about lights, you've probably not driven them.

The problem isn't lights, the problem is if you don't have any lights you are screwed.

#6 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostRichard Strong, on 16 September 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

The problem isn't lights, the problem is if you don't have any lights you are screwed.

You mean that dropping with only Heavy and Assault Lances is a hindrance? A weakness even?

#7 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

In the current meta that is AssaultWarrior, running some actual defense is not a bad thing.

Of course, you are screwed in Conquest, but that's besides the point.

#8 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

If the game turns into a deathmatch you're going to see ECM spiders greifing the enemy team.

Note that this is actually one of the reasons base caps exist - and it makes sense. I already rage pretty hard when my teams last surviving light runs away and shuts down somewhere. At least when that happens the other team can cap to end the game quickly (instead of waiting the 15 minute timer out).

#9 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Get off your *** and into a light mech! God knows we need more out there. For a while there it felt like they were making a comeback, but this last month or so, poof!

I feel so alone...

#10 Naja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 187 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Defend yo' bases dawg.

#11 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 16 September 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

If the game turns into a deathmatch you're going to see ECM spiders greifing the enemy team.

Note that this is actually one of the reasons base caps exist - and it makes sense. I already rage pretty hard when my teams last surviving light runs away and shuts down somewhere. At least when that happens the other team can cap to end the game quickly (instead of waiting the 15 minute timer out).

I agree with you there but the problem is that good teams get capped by mostly bad teams and 2 or 3 sneaky people. Nobody wants to sit at base waiting for Cappers which is the only option when you don't have enough lights yourself.

View PostSuckyJack, on 16 September 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

You mean that dropping with only Heavy and Assault Lances is a hindrance? A weakness even?

I would agree with you if this game had lobbies (crossing fingers that this will happen soon). The way it stands now, if you are not a light, your team might not have any lights.

Edited by Richard Strong, 16 September 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#12 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostRichard Strong, on 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

You need need need to implement a Death Match style mode because the vast majority of assault mode players play like it while a small minority revel in ticking off the majority through sneaky Base Captures. This is just one more thing that will frustrate noobs out of the game as they come tomorrow.

Just today I lost 3 games my team was decisively winning because a lack of lights or a couple of dead lights meant the rest of the team couldn't reach the base in time.

Well not when you aren't playing the same game we are. If Cappers really wanted to play that way they should play conquest.

The Devs like to think that Capping adds strategy, well sorry but rock paper scissors is not strategy. If one team decides to play Cap and the other team plays Mechwarrior, game over, CAP beats Mechwarrior.

maybe bring a light and/or defend?
but i agree, more game modes plz :huh:

#13 Eleshod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 187 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostRichard Strong, on 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I actually played a match on Terra where the enemy team set up a VERY nice ambush at their base while waiting for us.

We spotted them early, so luckily we could prepare and draw them out..

All in all I believe the whole scenario is a bit of tactics, wouldn't you say? So in the event of them trying to protect their base from a capture both teams not only set up, but broke an ambush... Alot more interesting then your big, stupid shooty bot walking mindlessly into the enemy team, scoring a kill or two then dying.

#14 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

First off - if a base is actually important - it should have a sensor detector and counter ECM. That way if it is being capped everyone on the team can at least see how many mechs are there - not assume it is just 1-2 light mechs and ignore it - meanwhile so many games now it is actually like 6 heavy and assault mechs under cover of ECM and the game is over because the 2-3 people that actually bother to run back have no chance of stopping it.

It is lame.

You cant even 'spot' the group of enmies for your allies - because to get close to 6 mechs as a light mech long enough to target any means getting shot at by all 6, and when they are using ECM it doesnt show up on the team maps anyway - so people end up being 'busy fighting'.

And once a group gets to the base - there is pretty much no way for heavier mechs to get back to base in time to do anything.

Who thinks this is fun? "A group of us rushed forward and stood in a glowing square and we won the game without fighting".

#15 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

if it being capped by bad teams.. Is it a good team?

#16 Naja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 187 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostRiggsIron, on 16 September 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

And once a group gets to the base - there is pretty much no way for heavier mechs to get back to base in time to do anything.

Who thinks this is fun? "A group of us rushed forward and stood in a glowing square and we won the game without fighting".

Heavier, or more accurately, slower mech's, shouldn't commit to a movement without it being one of two scenarios
  • Blind rush - High risk high reward.
  • Planned movement based on scouting info - Lower risk but also allowed enemy time to scout/regroup.
If you're in an assault, halfway to the other side of alpine and you get based rushed by a pack of lights, that's your teams fault for poor coordination. Why should a team risk their almost guaranteed win, because yours didn't think ahead.

Also that last bit is just silly, you can reduce TDM to "We clicked on more pixels than the other team within a arbitrary time span". You are not the fun police, you don't get to decide what is and isn't fun >=(

Edited by Naja, 16 September 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#17 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

No. "hunt-the-last-powered-down/ECM-light-mech" would be a horrible game mode.

#18 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostJestun, on 17 September 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

No. "hunt-the-last-powered-down/ECM-light-mech" would be a horrible game mode.

A single, center caps solves that problem.

#19 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

It does indeed and I would enjoy that game mode.

But keeping a cap point is the opposite of what the OP is suggesting.

#20 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

View PostJestun, on 17 September 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

It does indeed and I would enjoy that game mode.

But keeping a cap point is the opposite of what the OP is suggesting.

Is it? Don't take it as a literal statement, but just the gist of it. Op's complaint is the the repeated, early termination of a Conquest match because of some people unwilling to fight. The TT map seems to get this quite frequently.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users