84 replies to this topic

#1 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

With the game hitting official launch later today, after a long, oft fun (and oft frustrating), beta period, I just wanted to say one thing. Thank you.

It's easy for us to forget, as we complain about this change or that missing feature, that YOU, the developers, are in the same situation. YOU want the game to be better, you want the new content out, you want the bugs squashed (unless you're running one, am I right Cicada pilots?), and there will always be something more to do. You have worked long and hard to make this game a reality, and even if it isn't 'finished', you have accomplished a lot.

So, thank you.
Thank you for making Mechwarrior Online.
Thank you for putting in so many classic mechs, and fighting behind the scenes to secure the rights to chassis we'd thought never to see.
Thank you for listening (I know you have) to complaints, issues, and beefs, both from the LOUD parts of the community, and the quiet.
Thank you for not giving up, for pushing forward, for innovating and trying things that we didn't all think would work, because that's how this game keeps getting better.

Mechwarrior Online may not be done, it may not be perfect, and it won't please everyone. But it IS fun, it IS ready to get better still, and it WILL. People may rag on you for this or that decision, or for how the game isn't finished at launch, but they tend to forget that this game IS free to have and play. How many of them have spent money on this is not the issue, but rather, how many have spent money on MMOs and other games that changed and evolved AFTER they HAD to pay just for the right to play them? MWO will continue to grow, the monetary content is NOT PTW, and I for one am still excited to see what is in store for us down the road.

I have not been the most verbal of your Beta testers (in since closed), but I have watched the game evolve, I have seen the flubs, mehs, and triumphs. I have been part of the process, generating data, discussing the game with other players, and ENJOYING it. Do I want more from the game? Of course. But I know that YOU do too.

So I thank you all. The whole team. Everyone who made this possible. Thank you, from a longstanding Battletech fan.

My name is Matthew Rezendes
And I'll see you on the battlefield.

Edited by Eric Portenelli, 17 September 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#2 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Refreshing post. It's a fun game, despite its flaws and missing features. 3PV doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would, though I'd still prefer separate queues. Here's to hoping MWO recharges the Battletech fan base for another generation :)

#3 Moriquendi86

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

I agree with OP. Life is not easy in game dev and you guys did great work creating fun and immerse game. Thank you PGI for hard work and pleas continue working towards game you and us dream about.

#4 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well said.

+1 for mech sim game

#5 Booran

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

We need both sides of this coin, great post. Some people need the perspective, others need to be reminded why they're here.

#6 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

I just had to like the OP.

+1 mate,

see ya on the battlefield!

#7 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'm behind you OP, well said.

Had a few rage moments of my own but in the end I always enjoy playing the game, and If I remember correctly that's the whole point.

#8 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Nice Op mate +1 cookie for you.
Thank you too :)
Well needed to be said.

#9 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

AC 20 of Approval

Posted Image

#10 CrunchTheRobot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Completely agree. As unfinished as MWO is right now, it's still a ton of fun to play.

#11 VanWinK1LL

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

+1

MWO is what I've been waiting years for and I'm excited to see all the cool things that are in development. As it stands right now, I play almost everyday and I am loving it. Keep up the good work PGI!

#12 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hey guys, thanks. Good to know you've got my back.

Also, love the Hunchie pick, that just made my day :)

Edited by Eric Portenelli, 17 September 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#13 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostEric Portenelli, on 17 September 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

With the game hitting official launch later today, after a long, oft fun (and oft frustrating), beta period, I just wanted to say one thing. Thank you.

It's easy for us to forget, as we complain about this change or that missing feature, that YOU, the developers, are in the same situation. YOU want the game to be better, you want the new content out, you want the bugs squashed (unless you're running one, am I right Cicada pilots?), and there will always be something more to do. You have worked long and hard to make this game a reality, and even if it isn't 'finished', you have accomplished a lot.

So, thank you.
Thank you for making Mechwarrior Online.
Thank you for putting in so many classic mechs, and fighting behind the scenes to secure the rights to chassis we'd thought never to see.
Thank you for listening (I know you have) to complaints, issues, and beefs, both from the LOUD parts of the community, and the quiet.
Thank you for not giving up, for pushing forward, for innovating and trying things that we didn't all think would work, because that's how this game keeps getting better.

Mechwarrior Online may not be done, it may not be perfect, and it won't please everyone. But it IS fun, it IS ready to get better still, and it WILL. People may rag on you for this or that decision, or for how the game isn't finished at launch, but they tend to forget that this game IS free to have and play. How many of them have spent money on this is not the issue, but rather, how many have spent money on MMOs and other games that changed and evolved AFTER they HAD to pay just for the right to play them? MWO will continue to grow, the monetary content is NOT PTW, and I for one am still excited to see what is in store for us down the road.

I have not been the most verbal of your Beta testers (in since closed), but I have watched the game evolve, I have seen the flubs, mehs, and triumphs. I have been part of the process, generating data, discussing the game with other players, and ENJOYING it. Do I want more from the game? Of course. But I know that YOU do too.

So I thank you all. The whole team. Everyone who made this possible. Thank you, from a longstanding Battletech fan.

My name is Matthew Rezendes
And I'll see you on the battlefield.

HERE, HERE!

#14 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

no ur name is Eric Portenelli

#15 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

+ 1

Great game! Keep on going!

#16 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

I see an interesting correlation between the number of posts made on the forums and the general frustration with PGI/MWO :)

#17 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, like I said in another thread: At its core, MWO is still a fun game or we wouldn't be here complaining about it :)

So I'll add my thanks to the OPs; even though we don't see eye to eye on a number of things, you've still given me quite a lot of hours of entertainment, PGI. I gave you about $220 in return, so let's call it even :ph34r:

Thanks for the entertainment!

Edited by stjobe, 17 September 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#18 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 17 September 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

no ur name is Eric Portenelli

:) Just because the internet is usually a place filled with anonymity, doesn't mean it always has to be.
I opted to show my sincerity by using my real name.

#19 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yup, I've been playing this game almost every day for over a year now, and I'm still having a blast. I've been waiting for a mech game like this for years. I stopped playing competitive online games since probably... about Quake 3 days. So this game made me come out of retirement, and I've loved every second of it.

For the time I've been playing I've seen a lot of issues come and go which always went along with forum drama:
-OMG no in-game chat... when's it coming? (mostly a non-issue now)
-holy {Scrap} ECM has ruined the game!!! (seems ok now)
-aahhh LRMs are killing me -then-
-aahhh LRMs are doing nothing
-3PV is created by the devil and PGI works for ***** and will eat your dogs!!! AAAAAHHH
-Collision is a mess and we are all having fall-down parties in the middle of the map... (ok, that ones kind of shelved for now I guess)
-OMG... I run slow UP hill now!! PGI peed in my toilet and didn't put the seat down AAAAHHH!

This stuff comes and goes, but for the most part, these things have been ironed out and balanced over time. When I look at the videos I captured from a year ago... I can't help but notice how far things have come. Matches back then almost never ended without at least one of our team crashing or glitching out. The game has come a long way and I have a feeling it will continue to get better and better. I think the painful stage right now is that there are certain roadblocks to progress which all kind of fell together at the same time. A lot of these things have dependencies on other things... so there is all this stuff which needs to happen on the back-end before we see progress on our end. I know it will take time, but once those roadblocks are cleared, I think we are fairly suddenly going to be hit with a lot of progress. If we could fast forward time to 6 months from now: tons of new mechs, probably a few more maps, UI 2.0, Community Warfare with all that involves.. plus some stuff we don't even know about. It's going to be pretty amazing.

Anyways. Too many words. Thanks PGI! I love your giant mech game and I'm having a lot of fun with it!

#20 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostEcliptor, on 17 September 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

as are your parents when they told you the easter bunny was gunna bring you treats and then you found out he wasn't real? santa? batman? Franking Liars!
grow up dude, enjoy the game, it's lots of fun

I did not buy from my parents.
@ Thread, yes, agreed, lets see what the future holds in store for us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users