Thanks, No, Really

84 replies to this topic

#41 SH0GUN

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I sent in a support ticket last night saying pretty much the same as the OP.

We might not like or agree with the lack of progress or the direction the game has gone in at times but I would hope that we can all agree that the devs have earned our praise and thanks.

Management is a different story. That particular horse has been beaten into paste and there is nothing more to say on that subject.

But thank you to all the techs working long hours behind the scenes, away from the spotlight and glory who have kept my mechs rolling into battle for over a year now.

It has been grand.

#42 Mavqie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

love the game still

but i think everyone can admit the LIVE game is very very underwhelming

#43 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Great post.

It's unfortunate that some individuals feel the need to trash the game on Metacritic. If a 0 is their honest opinion, then so be it.

Never liked MetaCritic much.

Cheers.

#44 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostHelmer, on 17 September 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Great post.

It's unfortunate that some individuals feel the need to trash the game on Metacritic. If a 0 is their honest opinion, then so be it.

Cheers.

What about the people rating it 10 to "counteract" the 0s. I imagine if the user score was higher your opinion of the whole process would be better right. I mean metacritics folks must be on an island. I don't think they are putting negative reviews up because they don't care about the game, I think they care too much.
No one (as far as we know) forced PGI to launch with out key promised features. You reap what you sow.

#45 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 17 September 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

What about the people rating it 10 to "counteract" the 0s. I imagine if the user score was higher your opinion of the whole process would be better right. I mean metacritics folks must be on an island. I don't think they are putting negative reviews up because they don't care about the game, I think they care too much.
No one (as far as we know) forced PGI to launch with out key promised features. You reap what you sow.

You'd be incorrect, I've disliked Metacritic for a long time for various reasons.

People trash the game because they care too much. Makes sense.

Cheers.

Edited by Helmer, 17 September 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#46 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostHelmer, on 17 September 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

People trash the game because they care too much. Makes sense.

Cheers.

Oh care too much works for the dev team .... sarcasm lost on some folks. Are you just mad because you can't moderate the negative comments or shunt them to a rarely seen subforum?
Actually most people are trashing the developers for "launching" an unfinished game after they already rushed an unfinished alpha into open beta. Even the white knights are trashing PGI's communication and pace of releasing content and fixes. A lot of people hope the game will die quick and some one else will pick up the IP. I don't think that's a good idea, but it's as I said PGI reaps what they have sown. Tell the forums you don't matter, censor then like the old Eastern Bloc and then act surprised when people express their dissent in more public places. Bed made, now sleep tight in it.

#47 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Metacritic is a great idea, but sucks in practice. "Professional" reviewers hype games they get paid to hype, and "user" reviews are subject to sockpuppets, voting storms, and other nice Internet phenomena.

In short; MetaCritic is fail. Always has been, always will be.

MWO is a great little game for what it is; it has the potential to be a great big game, but there's lots of issues to iron out before that will come to pass - as everyone knows. Here's hoping that with launch over and done with you can focus on getting some of those issues resolved.

#48 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Absolutely.

Good post!

So excited for ui 2.0 and the future right now ;)

View PostRG Notch, on 17 September 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

A lot of people hope the game will die quick and some one else will pick up the IP.

I am STILL hoping, after a year of the trolls and freaks, that they all just leave and go make the mech-game they want.

Sadly, they don't seem actually capable of anything but trolling, so that will most likely never happen.

#49 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 17 September 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Absolutely.

Good post!

So excited for ui 2.0 and the future right now :)

I am STILL hoping, after a year of the trolls and freaks, that they all just leave and go make the mech-game they want.

Sadly, they don't seem actually capable of anything but trolling, so that will most likely never happen.

Its way easier to just be

Posted Image

#50 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 17 September 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Absolutely.

Good post!

So excited for ui 2.0 and the future right now :)

Well they can't go make their game if PGI has the license, hence why one might hang around and continually blast PGI and give terrible reviews and such. I'm still hoping the white knights would stop defending PGI so that maybe the message that everything isn't fine and dandy might get through so they can try to fix the issues instead of clamming up and hoping people go away. If MWO gets bad reviews and has a toxic community this won't end well.
Me I like BT/MW but it's no big deal if this tanks and I have to wait for another game. I certainly couldn't give two ***** what happens to PGI/IGP or any of the principles. They made their bed so let them sleep in it.
If MWO dies I just hope this all serves as a lesson. If the lesson is not to make anymore MW games, oh well. Some one will make some other giant stompy robot game.

#51 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

They're no worse than the White Knights counter-trolling by giving the game undeserved 10's and openly admitting as much.

#52 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Poststjobe, on 17 September 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Metacritic is a great idea, but sucks in practice. "Professional" reviewers hype games they get paid to hype, and "user" reviews are subject to sockpuppets, voting storms, and other nice Internet phenomena.

In short; MetaCritic is fail. Always has been, always will be.

MWO is a great little game for what it is; it has the potential to be a great big game, but there's lots of issues to iron out before that will come to pass - as everyone knows. Here's hoping that with launch over and done with you can focus on getting some of those issues resolved.

Yep, its was great in theory. It unfortunately become something more.

Take the GTA V for example. Tons of 10 outta 10 , etc , then some guy gives it a 70 to get traffic to his site.

Then there's the pressure on journalists who feel pressure when Devs don't get bonus money for making a certain Metacritic score.
Agreed. Good in theory, unfortunately it doesn't work in practice.

Cheers.

View PostAlois Hammer, on 17 September 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

They're no worse than the White Knights counter-trolling by giving the game undeserved 10's and openly admitting as much.

Except for , you know, disrespecting a whole community by trashing a game to see it fail because they have issues and are looking for payback. Being negative and destructive is always easier, being a positive influence and helpful is work.

Cheers.

Edited by Helmer, 17 September 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#53 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

I agree with the OP honestly. Looking back this game has overcome some serious issues over the past year. Yes progress is slow and this game is not finished by a long shot but it IS heading where it should be.

Personally I'd have held launch back till phoenix package delivery and UI 2.0 going live to get the most out of it. But just because it's September 17 does not mean these features are on the chopping block.

#54 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostHelmer, on 17 September 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Except for , you know, disrespecting a whole community by trashing a game to see it fail because they have issues and are looking for payback. Being negative and destructive is always easier, being a positive influence and helpful is work.

So level with us...by "is work" do you mean the obvious Mods spamming Metacritic with "Counter-Trolling 10's" were assigned that by their overlords at PGI?

I mean seriously, I've never seen an obvious bootlicker who thought of their bootlicking as "work" since they're usually delighted to indulge their sycophancy.

Cheers.

#55 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostAlois Hammer, on 17 September 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

So level with us...by "is work" do you mean the obvious Mods spamming Metacritic with "Counter-Trolling 10's" were assigned that by their overlords at PGI?

I mean seriously, I've never seen an obvious bootlicker who thought of their bootlicking as "work" since they're usually delighted to indulge their sycophancy.

Cheers.

I took a look...and there are many 0-2's with absolutely nothing about gameplay....they just bash 3pv and how nothing new was added. Ignoring the balance, the new mechs, the new maps and 12 VS 12.

Personally, I'd give it a 7 to 7.5. A pretty good game, very fun, but not without fault. No in game voice comm's make those who don't know about the TS3 servers have a disadvantage, and the tutorial could still use some work.

The new weapon balance made nothing clearly superior (compared to the previous metas) while some weapons are still useless.
Mechs respond well and are fairly varied. Some broken due to huge hitboxes, other due to tiny.
All in all, one of my go to games, but it is best played with other people or in 12 mans.

I agree with the OP, and wish the devs good luck for the future.

#56 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

I honestly gave a poor review. I gave the game play a 5 (you know since there are STILL the same bugs present from 2 years ago and the balance issues are in the same boat) Essentially it boils down to this. If you want a run and gun style game without any storyline or advancement then you'll enjoy this game in spurts. If you are looking for ANY kind of storyline then this game fails to deliver in every sense. I equate this to the difference between CoD and Battlefield. CoD is a quick paced shoot em up with very little thought on strategy(there is some but it is minimal). Battlefield has a lot more depth in the strategy department when it comes to classes, layouts, etc. and is has a much larger scope. Both have their merits and both have their fun factors but they generally cater to two different types of gamers. Most of the disenchanted players on here are long time supporters that feel extremely jilted because of numerous features that were promised are not in the game and now we are officially launched with a final product. I paid money for a product that was promised to have certain features but does not. There is no longer a "it's beta be patient" mentality because beta is over. This is the final product and many feel the final product is not what was promised. I have intentionally not spent any of my founder credits nor used my premium time and played minimally in hopes that the final product would deliver on said features. Now I have to assume that the final product is what it is and I have no reason to expect anything other than what we have now regardless of what is promised in the future(and let's face it the rev team doesn't have a great track record when it comes to delivering on deadlines, promises, features, etc.) and will voice my concerns on review sites as is my right as a consumer. Bashing those that don't enjoy the game and have lost faith is no better than trashing someone who does enjoy the game in it's current state. Just because the bashing may be worded more eloquently to seem less harsh makes it no better.

#57 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostSandpit, on 17 September 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

This is the final product and many feel the final product is not what was promised. I have intentionally not spent any of my founder credits nor used my premium time and played minimally in hopes that the final product would deliver on said features. Now I have to assume that the final product is what it is and I have no reason to expect anything other than what we have now

And this is where you go wrong. Unlike most "regular" games, this kind of game doesn't have a final product. F2P games don't stop development just because the game has launched.

I wish you'd taken the time to understand this instead of wrongly assuming things and then bashing the game based on those erroneous assumptions.

I also find it mind-boggling that someone can be a Veteran Founder and not comprehend the above.

#58 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well said there Eric. Totally there with ya man.

And I actually gave you rep. You deserve it.

See ya in game! :(

Edited by CYBRN4CR, 17 September 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#59 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

There are 2 variants i would love:

1) MWO will become that game they promised us

2) MWO will die and others make a better one

#60 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostEric Portenelli, on 17 September 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

the monetary content is NOT PTW

Well, except it is, for as long as consumables are available for MC. The rest is grindable, but no one should be able to dump real money into battlefield perks/bonuses. The worst part is that the only consumables which are purchasable are far and away better than the ones purchasable with CBills. Coolshot 18 anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users