Patch And Launch Day - Sept 17Th!

561 replies to this topic

#521 Jez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

As unhappy as I am with PGI, I confess you just described Battlefield 3 and 4 for the PC. (Although yes, Bf3 and Bf4 actually do have those hot key messages, but the chat system is identical).

BF3 & 4 are a fascinating case study for their sound engine. Although the chat systems for BF3&4 are identical to that of MWO, DICE added a number of other communication tools so that players didn't have to rely on just a chat window. For example, the spotting system was outstanding because not only did you get a visual icon you also got an audio notice where a soldier barked out what exactly was being identified. In addition to the hot key messages, players also had the comm rose and had a special function to request medical help/ammo packs. So far I've only mentioned the active communication tools.

DICE also implement a number of passive communication tools. The automated soldier's audio clues are a good example. A nearby soldier will automatically yell out when a grenade is thrown in their direction or will call out when they are under fire.

The point being that DICE didn't rely on a chat window as its sole form for player communications. DICE complemented the chat window with a number of other communication tools, both active and passive, which resulted in a robust and in depth player communication system.

PGI on the other hand gave us 2 communication tools. A chat window and a passive targeting system. That's it.

#522 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 19 September 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

If they did so and if they made them sign a gag order and if it would get them in legal trouble to disclose anything I don't think it is right for us to be trying to get them to breach any such contract.

But, yeah, "Dirty, money-grubbing, corporate BS."

Very true.

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

The less evidence of the conspiracy the more clever it is. Claims of murky "gag" orders are a bonus. Internet lawyers and conspiracy theorists at their finest.

Its no conspiracy, it happens in the open all the time and is a normal practice. What is so conspiratorial about a normal business practice? I bet every inter office memo people receive has a notation at the bottom to not disclose the contents of the letter and the letters contents are for the recipient and the companies eyes alone. An NDA is a form of gag order, we all virtually signed one when we were in closed beta, is that a conspiracy too? No because its normal, just like how we can all presume and accurately so that IGP gagged the people at MW:LL.

#523 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

The less evidence of the conspiracy the more clever it is. Claims of murky "gag" orders are a bonus. Internet lawyers and conspiracy theorists at their finest.

This is very true and what was PM'd to me was hardly evidence nor even breach of any such gag order (as the person who sent it to me signed no such order.)

But, again, conspiracy or no, if people are going to get sued over it, I don't want to be a part of getting them sued.

#524 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostJez, on 19 September 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

BF3 & 4 are a fascinating case study for their sound engine. Although the chat systems for BF3&4 are identical to that of MWO, DICE added a number of other communication tools so that players didn't have to rely on just a chat window. For example, the spotting system was outstanding because not only did you get a visual icon you also got an audio notice where a soldier barked out what exactly was being identified. In addition to the hot key messages, players also had the comm rose and had a special function to request medical help/ammo packs. So far I've only mentioned the active communication tools.

There is the battlegrid but no one uses it.

I'm aware of what BF3 and 4 does have, and I gave credit in the parenthesis. Now, in early PGI's defense (recent PGI's steadily getting worse and worse unless there's some sort of huge turnaround), again early PGI's defense.. in closed beta there were sound files for commands.

Specifically, there were (Voiced over) commands for:
Move to this position.
Flank left at this position.
Flank right at this position.
Defend this position.
Hold at this position (stop, wait there).
Attack this position.

One of these, including the original computer, were put to use in this old video of mine.
Currently those sounds were all replaced with "Beep" and "Blip" which draw minimal to no attention.

Edited by Koniving, 19 September 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#525 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 19 September 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

This is very true and what was PM'd to me was hardly evidence nor even breach of any such gag order (as the person who sent it to me signed no such order.)

But, again, conspiracy or no, if people are going to get sued over it, I don't want to be a part of getting them sued.

The beauty of the internet, one can say whatever one wants and not have to provide proof, yet people will believe it. The best ones are where the other side is the government or a corporation because who trusts them. Add in "gag" orders or NDAs and you can get people to believe anything.
I could go on about all the nefarious doings I've heard the MWLL team did, but you know gag order NDA..... ;)

#526 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

There is the battlegrid but no one uses it.

I'm aware of what BF3 and 4 does have, and I gave credit in the parenthesis. Now, in early PGI's defense (recent PGI's steadily getting worse and worse unless there's some sort of huge turnaround), again early PGI's defense.. in closed beta there were sound files for commands.

Specifically, there were (Voiced over) commands for:
Move to this position.
Flank left at this position.
Flank right at this position.
Defend this position.
Hold at this position (stop, wait there).
Attack this position.

One of these, including the original computer, were put to use in this old video of mine.
Currently those sounds were all replaced with "Beep" and "Blip" which draw minimal to no attention.

I wonder when that stuff was ripped out... I'm kinda starting to think it's now part of some marketing backburner at this time.

Lots of the radar based blips are not the most intuitive (it usually means either enemy spotted or enemy not in visual range) and the sad part is that I don't think that's even covered in any video tutorial yet.

#527 Jazerek

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

So does the protector not fall under "Orian" mechs or am i just not allowed to buy other camos for it

#528 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostJazerek, on 19 September 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

So does the protector not fall under "Orian" mechs or am i just not allowed to buy other camos for it

Hero mechs can't put on other camo schemes. You can only modify the colors of the existing pattern.

They've talked about allowing more customization in the future.

Edited by Heffay, 19 September 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#529 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 September 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

I wonder when that stuff was ripped out... I'm kinda starting to think it's now part of some marketing backburner at this time.

Lots of the radar based blips are not the most intuitive (it usually means either enemy spotted or enemy not in visual range) and the sad part is that I don't think that's even covered in any video tutorial yet.

I ripped them from the closed beta game files.

#530 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

I ripped them from the closed beta game files.

That's not what I meant... I meant when PGI ripped them out of the files. :D

#531 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

The beauty of the internet, one can say whatever one wants and not have to provide proof, yet people will believe it. The best ones are where the other side is the government or a corporation because who trusts them. Add in "gag" orders or NDAs and you can get people to believe anything.
I could go on about all the nefarious doings I've heard the MWLL team did, but you know gag order NDA..... :D

Well there's this, but I'm sure it's fake since internet, lies, PGI is not like any other company in the world, with only difference that they suck etc.

To clarify how this situation came to be I'll go into a bit of detail about what's been happening behind the scenes to clear up any misconceptions. As Developers and Staff of Wandering Samurai Studios, we are, as of this point, no longer allowed to create future content based on the MechWarrior IP due to legal obligations on behalf of various rights holders. These rights holders own the Legally Binding, Non-Transferrable, Non-Commercial License Agreement with Microsoft and as of 2013 will no longer officially support the MechWarrior: Living Legends division of Wandering Samurai Studios. This is not a choice of the development team, this is a choice of the ownership and we have no control over the decision-making process. While we may not agree with the choice that must be made we respect their decision to make it, as without them, this project would have never come to fruition.

Apparently this was the original message before it was changed to the current one on the MWLL site.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 19 September 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#532 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 19 September 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Well there's this, but I'm sure it's fake since internet, lies, PGI is not like any other company in the world, with only difference that they suck etc.

Apparently this was the original message before it was changed to the current one on the MWLL site.

And obviously no one would ever lie except for the government and corporations. I mean it's not like a mod team that found virtually no one playing their mod and decided to pull the plug would want to blame some one else... Oh I forgot they don't make as good a conspiracy theory since they aren't the government or a corporation. So you choose who you want to believe in a story that clearly has lies and motive on all sides.
Like I said I could tell you stories about the MWLL team but you know "gag order" etc. :D

#533 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 September 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

That's not what I meant... I meant when PGI ripped them out of the files. :D

Ah, none of it ever made it 'live' so to speak. The computer did get a command line to turn it on but that's long gone. The voice files were probably discarded because of the reaction to Betty's "Warning; Targeted" alert.

Many didn't like it.

I freaking loved it because a second after that, I'd get shot. So, I'd hear it, twist away, take the shot in my arm, twist back, blast the living {Scrap} out of the guy.. "Warning, targeted." Twist away, take it in the arm, twist back, blast 'em dead.

>.>

#534 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

And obviously no one would ever lie except for the government and corporations. I mean it's not like a mod team that found virtually no one playing their mod and decided to pull the plug would want to blame some one else...

Uhh, why on Earth would a mod team want to blame someone else if they simply decided to no longer work on their own mod and support it further?

#535 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

And obviously no one would ever lie except for the government and corporations. I mean it's not like a mod team that found virtually no one playing their mod and decided to pull the plug would want to blame some one else... Oh I forgot they don't make as good a conspiracy theory since they aren't the government or a corporation. So you choose who you want to believe in a story that clearly has lies and motive on all sides.
Like I said I could tell you stories about the MWLL team but you know "gag order" etc. :wub:

Your spin on the story is as much speculation as anyone's, and you clearly have as much of an agenda.

Personally, I hated MW:LL and don't much care beyond appreciating both honesty and a good conspiracy theory.

I'm not taking a side here, to be honest, but you clearly are :D

#536 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Why would they lie? They have nothing to gain by it. PGI on the other hand does, and since we have no evidence (but apparently you do) I find PGI lying more believable and logical. Seems to go along with all their MWO promises and plans.

Like I said I could tell you stories about the MWLL team but you know "gag order" etc. :D

Are you serious? Now I'm saying this assuming that's not sarcasm.You're bullshitting us here due to lack of evidence and unsupported claims and when I do bring some marginal evidence, you invoke the same thing you derided a few posts back?

#537 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostDemonRaziel, on 19 September 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Uhh, why on Earth would a mod team want to blame someone else if they simply decided to no longer work on their own mod and support it further?

Because people want to be mad when the mod they like stops being worked on, and who better to blame than a big evil corporation. Also who wants to admit that virtually no one plays your mod? Like I said I could tell you it all but "gag order".

#538 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Like I said I could tell you it all but "gag order".

So much hypocrisy here.

#539 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 19 September 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

So much hypocrisy here.

So much lack of understanding sarcasm here. :D

#540 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

So much lack of understanding sarcasm here. :D

Then your sarcasm is pathetic. You said the same thing 3 times. Are you that much running out of arguments that just have to repeat your sarcastic comments over and over.

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I could go on about all the nefarious doings I've heard the MWLL team did, but you know gag order NDA..... :wub:

Like I said I could tell you stories about the MWLL team but you know "gag order" etc. ;)

View PostRG Notch, on 19 September 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Like I said I could tell you it all but "gag order".

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 19 September 2013 - 11:21 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users