Lowest Cooling Efficiency You Can Bear?

78 replies to this topic

#21 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postzagibu, on 27 September 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

If you remove 7 armor from each leg, you can fit a 250 engine, which makes you faster and gives you an additional (built in) heatsink.

Can do one better. Drop the 7 armour from each leg, remove 1 double Heat Sink. Add Endo-Steel. Add Standard 285 Engine. Put removed Double Heat Sink into the slot in the Engine. Better heat efficiency, +9 kph top speed.

#22 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

1.3 for me, being an up close brawling medium my tendency is to not want to have to wait to shoot again and let the other guy get an unopposed shot off. i prefer 1.4 or better but can get by on 1.3

#23 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

For brawling I need around 1.3 to be effective.
But as fire support or sniper I can go a lot lower.

#24 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

I dunno. MY Awesomes run pretty hot. I just don't shoot as much with them. I also have some pretty low Cooling efficiency mechs that I have no troubles wiht just because I don't fire my LRM;s at the same time as my ML's

#25 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

I have had some close to 1.0 and even a 0.9 stalker at one point. It depends on what weapon ranges the weapons are and how I used them. For example my stalker was 2 LRM15, 2 LRM10 with limited ammo backed up by 2 LL and 4 ML. The LRM's were used at range, the LL used on chainfire to pick apart enemies then the 4ML to finish anything that got close... downsides were an XL engine, and ran pretty hot...

#26 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

This will be the lowest heat effeciency I'll try to pilot.

Battlemaster 1G

See you in 2 weeks! :lol:

#27 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Depends on the role. On a sniper I can live with 34-35% in a pinch. On a brawler, I aim for 40%. However, anything over 50% is a waste.

#28 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Info on the difference between heateff in MWo and coolingeff can be found here http://www.mechspecs...php?topic=931.0

Personally I tend to have better efficencys on single purpose mechs then on onmipurpose builds because otherwise I feel like draging along useless weight even though being in optimal weaponrange. High alpha pinpoint builds can counter that problem somewhat but I never found them that interesting to play.

#29 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Having a low efficiency does not mean good. Neither does having really good cooling mean bad. Cooling has more to do what type of play style you will have to adopt while playing your mech. Keep it in mind the better cooling you have the more freedom you have when playing.

#30 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I use smurfy's for two reasons.

On my catapults I got two sets of weapons - the missiles and backup.

I want my launchers to fire coolish and/or the backups. I don't need the mechlab's total alpha scale.. I need an adjusted one based on weapon groupings

#31 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I used to run a 5ERPPC Cataphract.

And I have always run a 9 MPLAS Hunchback.

#32 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

View Postaniviron, on 24 September 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Smurfy's data and the in-game numbers are just different ways of representing the same numbers. Personally, I aim for about 30%/1.2 as a bare minimum;

It's early, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how 30% and 1.2 represent the same number. Could someone clarify, please? I'm thinking I'd like to shoot for 1.4, but don't know how that translates to the % in-game.

#33 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Depends. If my mech has LRMs I don't really count those towards the cooling efficiency, because I probably won't be using them at the same time as my lasers or other backup weapons.

#34 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

It seems the numbers represent different calculations. Smurfy's tool is calculating max sustainable DPS/total DPS, which makes a lot of sense, while the ingame number is a complicated calculation with weights for individual weapons (probably gathered through ingame-stats). Of course, Smurfy's number doesn't mean much if you have a multi-purpose mech (think LRM and MPLs or something), because you will never fire all weapons at the same time.

#35 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

View PostGeek Verve, on 30 September 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

[/size]

It's early, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how 30% and 1.2 represent the same number. Could someone clarify, please? I'm thinking I'd like to shoot for 1.4, but don't know how that translates to the % in-game.

Smurfys heat efficiency is based upon constant firing. So if you have one weapon on the mech that does 1 heat/sec and you have 10 SHS, you're at 100% efficiency. Put on another 1HPS weapon and you're at 50% heat efficiency. It's as simple as that. So at 33% you can effectively dissipate one third of the heat your weapons generate if you fire continously.

#36 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

I usually look for at least 50%/1.5 on each weapon system. For instance with my BJ-1 I rarely fire the medium lasers at the same time as the AC/2s, so I look at each group separately. On my CDA-2A I only have MLs, so I look at them all at once.

#37 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 25 September 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

I consider an efficiency of 1.3 (game) to be the minimum you should shoot for. Anything lower, and you'll be constantly overheating on hot maps, especially since Therma and Tourmaline show up with alarming regularity whenever I play (Oddly, Caustic is pretty rare).

there isn't really any fixed value of cooling efficiency you should aim for. a lot depends on the weapons in question: my 9 ML hunchbro with an efficiency of 1.11 overheats much less than a dual PPC, 1.34 efficiency Blackjack, and that's because in the 4P I have much more control over whether I want to spike or stagger the heat while maintaining dps.

so to reply to the OP, if you're using high spike heat weapons such as pulse lasers, PPCs and LRMs, you want a minimum of 1.3; otherwise, you can get away with as low as 1.1 in most cases, but that kind of mechs usually require a better trigger discipline and forethought.

#38 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'm mostly a brawler so I'm used to 1.4-1.5 efficiency cool builds. I always screw up when I jump into my ER snipers because of that.

#39 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

i built a boar's head that has a pretty low heat eff. but if you fire the lasers in groups of 3 alternating then you will take several minutes to overheat
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba740b7fdc0201e

#40 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

lowest heat eff. i have ever actually used well is 1.51 and that was a LRM stalker with 6 backup flamers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users