Lowest Cooling Efficiency You Can Bear?

78 replies to this topic

#1 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

As the title says, I'd like to see your mech builds with the lowest cooling efficiency you can still bear. Also, can anyone explain why smurfy's tool reports completely different efficiencies than what is displayed ingame? My CAT-K2 reports 1.28 CE ingame and 40% CE in smurfy's tool, while my Jenner reports 1.2 CE ingame and 41% CE in smurfy's tool...which is strange.

Here is my HBK-4P with 18 DHS and cooling efficiency of 1.14 (35% in smurfy's tool), the lowest CE I can bear on any mech I have:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a205d4103b8450

#2 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ebe0a6e2273b69

Fast, but gotta watch your legs.

4p's aren't as durable as 4sp's, once the hunch gets taken out, you're out. there's only so much a single medium can do (or 2 if the left arm is still functional)

Enough heatsinks to fire the hunch until punch out.

I know its not the question of the thread, so here is my answer: I used to run the same 4p without endo, 250 17 DHS just to add AMS. worth it. but with the 275 you're fast enough to trade it for an extra DHS.

#3 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Smurfy's data and the in-game numbers are just different ways of representing the same numbers. Personally, I aim for about 30%/1.2 as a bare minimum; however, the raw number of heat sinks makes a huge difference in how the mechs plays. For example, assume a light mech has 10 double heat sinks for a 35% cooling efficiency and an assault has 22 dhs for the same 35%. Each heat sink adds to your total capacity of heat buildup, so the assault with more heatsinks is much harder to overheat than the light that has less.

As far as your HBK-4P goes, I'd recommend dropping a laser and some armor for more heatsinks. While most mechs have non-energy weapons to fall back on when things get hot, you live and die by your cooling. I ran http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3df741467ea87ea for my HBK-4P for months and months and loved it to death, was my favourite mech for quite a while and I could post 800-1000 damage games on a daily basis with it.

Unfortunately, the HBK-4P was hit really hard by the ghost heat nerf. Since you can only fire six of the 8/9 lasers without incurring a heat penalty, there is no reason whatsoever to run the HBK-4P anymore. The JR7-F Jenner runs 6 lasers about as cool, but it's a much smaller target, has jump jets, moves 150kph, and doesn't store all its weapons in one bit, easy-to-hit location.

#4 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Lowest heat efficiency: 1.05 (based on MWO Mech Lab). Though most of my mechs are in the 1.1 or greater range.

Some mechs like my Stalker-5S surpassed it with 1.08 (with a total of 18 DHS), but that was before the change to the Large Pulse Lasers (which dropped it down to 1.03).

Total Mechs in Collection: 31

Edited by Simbacca, 24 September 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#5 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

I tend to find that the efficiency equations don't really tell that much in terms of effectiveness overall. I find the "weapon lab" a much more useful tool since alpha-striking isn't usually the best combat method, and even if the reported cooling efficiency is low your heat still might dissipate faster than on a mech with a higher one.

#6 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

View Postaniviron, on 24 September 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Smurfy's data and the in-game numbers are just different ways of representing the same numbers. Personally, I aim for about 30%/1.2 as a bare minimum; however, the raw number of heat sinks makes a huge difference in how the mechs plays. For example, assume a light mech has 10 double heat sinks for a 35% cooling efficiency and an assault has 22 dhs for the same 35%. Each heat sink adds to your total capacity of heat buildup, so the assault with more heatsinks is much harder to overheat than the light that has less.

But the number scales are completely different. Are you sure they are based on the same calculations? In the MWO mechlab, if I take 6 lasers out of my HBK-4P, it shows 1.97 CE, but in smurfy's tool, it's 104%. So the mechlab doesn't even have a 100% increase, while smurfy's tool shows almost a 300% increase.

Edited by zagibu, 25 September 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#7 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

I consider an efficiency of 1.3 (game) to be the minimum you should shoot for. Anything lower, and you'll be constantly overheating on hot maps, especially since Therma and Tourmaline show up with alarming regularity whenever I play (Oddly, Caustic is pretty rare).

My PPC sniper.

Before the PPC changes, it was at 1.5 efficiency. Now I'm at 1.43, which is a hardly noticeable difference. I can pretty much fire 5 salvos on heat neutral maps before the warning kicks in, but dissipation is fast enough that I can get a few more shots through on chainfire before shutdown (thank you elite). I lost one shot in the heat change. If I pace shots and take a few seconds to cool down here and there, I can fire all day. Only Therma really pushes it.

#8 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

I hope none of you consider to play the stalker anytime soon because if one thing has been taken from canon then it's that if it's a Stalker, it'll overheat. No exceptions. I am especially pointing at the 3F and 5S. If even Sarna points out a 'Mechs tendency to overheat, you know what to expect from this walking weapons platform of all-range fire support.

#9 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, I can't seem to get it to 30% or over in smurfy's tool. Well, with great firepower come great heat problems, I guess.

#10 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

At one point, my Orion had .98 efficiency, just for the lulz. I didn't take it into anything other than training grounds though.

#11 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I don't tend to take weapons that will be hugely overheating, so most of my efficiencies have been around 1.3-1.4. The lowest I had (that I specifically remember) was 1.11 in a HBK-4P.

Honestly, 'low' efficiencies are still fine (<1, at least) as long as you can exercise some restraint. Make sure your position is strong enough to let you cool off when you need to, and get the practise to give you the knowledge how long you can fight a nasty brawl if you have to. The number of times I've seen people throw whole, more than workable builds out of the window because they don't want to have to think about when they're shooting someone...

#12 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

I have builds at around 1 and a couple up as high as 1.7, all depends on the use/function/playstyle and loadout.

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

1.2 lowest, and that´s pretty hard to keep in control, my firing discipline is not good :)

#14 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

STK-3F 'Tempest"

26% Cooling Efficiency
don't know how, but it still works good for me... just avoid the heat penalty of the 4 LLs, and be sure to hit when you fire, any missed shot is wasted heat capacity.

#15 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Lagann

I raise you this Awesome-8Q with 6LL's. Pretty difficult to use, especially in heat-intensive maps like tourmaline or Terra.
HOWEVER! Great in slicing apart enemy mechs when you're with allied forces.

#16 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostVIPER2207, on 27 September 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

STK-3F 'Tempest"

26% Cooling Efficiency
don't know how, but it still works good for me... just avoid the heat penalty of the 4 LLs, and be sure to hit when you fire, any missed shot is wasted heat capacity.

Using pairs of two and alternating fire help a lot here. I prefer using STK-3F "Harasser" for a more balanced all-range build with quad MLas and dual SRM6s for brawling range and dual ER LLas paired with 2 LRM10s for long range harassment. If push comes to shove I'm still able to use those ERs in brawling range too if I feel confident enough for a reliable CT hit but that's some pretty dangerous heat those things create. But you're right, the Stalker has a surprisingly good heat dissipation with "only" 18 DHS.

#17 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostBlue Hymn, on 27 September 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Lagann

I raise you this Awesome-8Q with 6LL's. Pretty difficult to use, especially in heat-intensive maps like tourmaline or Terra.
HOWEVER! Great in slicing apart enemy mechs when you're with allied forces.

If you remove 7 armor from each leg, you can fit a 250 engine, which makes you faster and gives you an additional (built in) heatsink.

#18 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

all three of my stalkers run at a 1.15 to 1.17 heat efficiency and almost never have a heat problem. The heat efficiency on the mech tab seems to represent alpha strikes which I almost never do cause I have a mix of weapons that I use at varying range increments. LRM's/LL's for longer ranges ML's and SRM's for close ranges and if i happen to catch something just right (250m) a good alpha strike with everything. it works good for me, but to each there own.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

:D

But this one is the lowest I can viably use. It's 0.83 efficiency.

#20 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

1.0. My Stalker, Enki..toting 5 LPL, Sometimes 6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users