Lowest Cooling Efficiency You Can Bear?

78 replies to this topic

#61 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

this build is mostly for laughs due to the light armor, but it is very effective. Had to switch to SHS to free up the crit slots needed for the extra 2 tons of ammo.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3464932b9e1283d

keep in mind if you don't jam, its like getting hit with a dual ac20 at 600m, and setting each arm up separately on chainfire can put fear into anyone once they realize those aren't ac2 shells getting tossed at them.

Heat wise its bearable while fighting, you can normally take down any opponent before you overheat. the problem though is that it takes a loooooooong time to cool down with SHS, a good minute on terra. Don't rush into a second engagement, slow down to 40% movement speed (walking) for a bit better cooling, or just use coolant flush I guess.

(this is not my actual armor distribution, just an example).

Edited by Asmosis, 31 October 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#62 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

1.0 or 50%, depending on the method of measure.

#63 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

The hottest mech I run is my 4P, for obvious reasons. I think she runs at a 1.12 efficiency in-game, but can't check for now since MWO is still redownloading. I'd check my other mechs, buuuuut that's a bit hard to do right now.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d7e3744335407c

#64 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

On lights, I don't like going below 1.25 or so. Heavier 'Mechs I do simply because the cooldown times on the heavier weapons allow the 'Mech to cool off between shots.

#65 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostKai Harper, on 06 November 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

The hottest mech I run is my 4P, for obvious reasons. I think she runs at a 1.12 efficiency in-game, but can't check for now since MWO is still redownloading. I'd check my other mechs, buuuuut that's a bit hard to do right now.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d7e3744335407c

My 4P is at 54% with 19 double heatsinks and 9 small lasers xD
Full armor, max engine size and not a slot to spare.

With your build you are so close to a 275 engine that will give you another slot for a heatsink. When I ran mediums I did 6 in the hunch, 1 in the head and a small pulse in each arm. This allowed me to put a 275 in for max speed and an extra heatsink. That tiny bit of extra damage from the medium pulse isn't worth the weight or heat imo. The small pulse in the arms will help you get lights and has almost the exact same dps as a medium for less heat.

#66 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostRiotHero, on 07 December 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

My 4P is at 54% with 19 double heatsinks and 9 small lasers xD
Full armor, max engine size and not a slot to spare.

With your build you are so close to a 275 engine that will give you another slot for a heatsink. When I ran mediums I did 6 in the hunch, 1 in the head and a small pulse in each arm. This allowed me to put a 275 in for max speed and an extra heatsink. That tiny bit of extra damage from the medium pulse isn't worth the weight or heat imo. The small pulse in the arms will help you get lights and has almost the exact same dps as a medium for less heat.

Huh...I didn't realise that I could slot a bigger engine. Last time I modded that girl, she couldn't run past a 260! Thanks!

#67 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c59ff8d40f19ccc
AS7-D "Arngrim"

I've had excellent success with this build, and it can slag most targets fairly quickly if I need to, but the idea is multiple range profile weapons and lots of weapon cycling when I get to brawling range. Theorycrafting suggests I could/should drop Endo, swap to a 300 engine, and drop the legs to 57 for maximum cooling, but the larger engine gives me sligthly more speed in torso twisting, and I'm hesitant to do it since I already know it works as is.

My lowest tolerable heat seems to be at the 26-27% range, with the ideal being around 30-40%, with all-energy builds requiring higher cooling efficiency.

#68 barnmaddo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

One thing I like about Smurphys is you can check the heat ratio for different sets of weapons.

So you can see how much DPS you can sustain at various ranges and for how long.

#69 Wylie Solara

Rookie

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 26 September 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I hope none of you consider to play the stalker anytime soon because if one thing has been taken from canon then it's that if it's a Stalker, it'll overheat. No exceptions. I am especially pointing at the 3F and 5S. If even Sarna points out a 'Mechs tendency to overheat, you know what to expect from this walking weapons platform of all-range fire support.

Spider Hunter - Mark II (STK-3F)

You can overheat it if you really try .... but you tend to kill spiders well before overheating if you're do'n it right (e.g. can remain calm, aim/track target, and not fire willy nilly all over hell).

- Wylie

#70 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

my hottest mech (AWS9M) runs at 0.97 in game. idk what % on mechlab. but my entire mechlab has similar efficiencies, just a couple of points higher usually (two with 1.01), but i have a high heat efficient alpha machine though

it really is a meaningless number the cooling efficiency in practical terms, because i don't use the ER ppcs up close - i only shoot them at range. so that's only the heat of 2 erppc + 1 ppc.

and then for brawling i use 2 medpulse + 1 medlas + 1 srm4. which would be another efficiency.

so my efficiency would ACTUALLY be better graph/mapped by averaging out the heat scale of 2medpulse+1medlas+1srm4 WITH 2erppc+1ppc - for which the whole alpha on both groups summed is 0.97 cooling

(same with my AWS8T > graph averages of 1ERLL + 3LPL with 1medlas + SRM4+SRM6 for a sum alpha of 1.01 )

which brings me to an interesting point, whenever i recommend this 0.97 heat efficient build to somebody, they tell me it's too hot, probably because they are shooting all the guns like crazy without discipline for when they come into brawling range

oh btw, if you were wondering i don't use LRM on any of my builds, my direct fire builds are just THAT hot.

what i do is i always do as if i was boating LRM - but i "boat" long ranged weapons instead, and then just use green lasers for close quarter; OR i do a reversal of the typical missile boat - i put some long range ppc or large pulse and a ton of srm for close defense - with the same hardpoints some people use for tons of LRM + 2 green laser (ugh), it's the same principle really in all cases, but i just hate using LRMs

Edited by Mazzyplz, 11 February 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#71 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Kesuga's post gave me this terrible idea. Three cheers for Kesuga!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0db0af92ca3e85

#72 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd5bac3eaf48226
Equates to a 1.06 heat efficiency, or 26%, dont fire the SRMs often only as a backup, chain the ERLLs, and hammer away with gauss and AC2. Makes for a great ranged support mech.

#73 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

View Postbarnmaddo, on 24 December 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

One thing I like about Smurphys is you can check the heat ratio for different sets of weapons.

So you can see how much DPS you can sustain at various ranges and for how long.

You can also factor in your basic efficiencies such as cool run & heat containment if you use the weapons lab.

#74 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

thought someone might get a kick out of this, my erppc mech 0.97 efficiency is on this video toward the end of it (white+purple cammo); 617 dmg/ 1kill-8assist seems to do ok! despite the massive heat
it's not a shutdown alpha build, just the proper tri-erppc awesome
although we lost and commando pilot karbomb took the W, in the end. as last man standing (:

Edited by Mazzyplz, 11 February 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#75 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I always fire in a very unusual way, so I don't trust Smurfy.
Typically though, I shoot for above 30%

#76 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

DRG-1N
I cant take the heat

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a986ddcc3a48c46
(If the first link dosnt)

#77 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

You should upgrade to double heatsinks ASAP. Will lift you to 63% cooling efficiency without actually installing a single heatsink. I know, it's expensive, but it's the best upgrade you can get. It will also free up 4 tons you can use for other stuff.

Edited by zagibu, 11 February 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#78 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostKurkotain, on 24 September 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ebe0a6e2273b69

Fast, but gotta watch your legs.

4p's aren't as durable as 4sp's, once the hunch gets taken out, you're out. there's only so much a single medium can do (or 2 if the left arm is still functional)

Enough heatsinks to fire the hunch until punch out.

I know its not the question of the thread, so here is my answer: I used to run the same 4p without endo, 250 17 DHS just to add AMS. worth it. but with the 275 you're fast enough to trade it for an extra DHS.

I have one word for you: Ember.
Take one of the medium lasers out of the hunch to avoid heat scale on your body-mounted weapons, and fix your leg armor. That'll give you My Hottest Mech - although you might need to strip out a heat sink for arm armor if you start losing them too much.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 February 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#79 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

I run two LRLs and two LPLs. 45% plus cooling usually gives me the edge in most situations and I'm often getting shots off while other energy builds are busy cooling. Anything less and I find my trigger finger is too heavy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users