- - - - -

In Game Conduct

55 replies to this topic

#21 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostModo44, on 02 October 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

If only I could get into a game to forget about all the **** I have to take from people I work/live with. Noo, says the *******, I'm gonna follow you there, too, make sure youre "an adult" all the ******* time.

I am sorry you do not get to boss everyone else around, and insist that they speak only in ways you approve of. Maybe they can make a single player version of the game for you.

If it makes you feel better, I do agree you should be able to turn off chat if you want to.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 02 October 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#22 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 02 October 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I am sorry you do not get to boss everyone else around, and insist that they speak only in ways you approve of. Maybe they can make a single player version of the game for you. If it makes you feel better, I do agree you should be able to turn off chat if you want to.

So you are ok with racists, various types of bigots etc spouting off in chat? Good for you.

Most of us aren't. Many of us also don't want to hear a constant stream of profanity, or other juvenile nonsense.

Also, short of violating the rules, most of us don't want to shut you up, we just want the option to /ignore them and not have to drop with them.

#23 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 02 October 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

So you are ok with racists, various types of bigots etc spouting off in chat?

I am very good at ignoring people. It is a skill more people should cultivate.

Most of us aren't.

So what? "Most of you" are not the boss of everyone else.

Many of us also don't want to hear a constant stream of profanity, or other juvenile nonsense.

And I would like world peace. You do not always get your way. Thats part of being an adult.

Words do absolutely nothing to you.

Also, short of violating the rules, most of us don't want to shut you up, we just want the option to /ignore them and not have to drop with them.

I agree you should have that option. But it should not be necessary. Ignoring people is a lot easier than it seems.

#24 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I am getting entirely frustrated with people being impatient and utter disrespect for each other. Generally from the same person.

At top of match there is always that one loud mouth swearing at you to ready up, because you're wasting 50 seconds of their oh so precious time. if you have time to be playing games, you can wait for my team to rearrange or plan things.

Even more aggravating, are the people that die and then proceed to spew hate all over the chat. my personal favorit recently was the charming character that accused my entire team of being exploiting faggots. (he died to an ammo explosion, lol) and when we inquired about how ammo explosions were an exploit he just spammed chat with useless drivel. the icing on the cake was that his team was winning, and when i was the last to be taken down he laughed about how HE made me his *****. the dead guy. yeah.

Now, Sadistic Savior, i do understand where you are coming from. however, in the real world when you behave like the said above person, there are frequently consequences for doing so. culturally, it is considered proper to be polite, particularly over something as trivial as a game. there is absolutely no need to spam the chat with slurs and hate because you died.

It's not coddling, or soft soap, or any of that. its a courtesy to your fellow gamers. we've all been head shot, or shot in the back, or had ammo go at an inopportune time, and the most i usually have to say is "nice shot" or a good spirited "woops" because guess what? its not worth being angry over.

#25 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 03 October 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

I am getting entirely frustrated with people being impatient and utter disrespect for each other. Generally from the same person.

At top of match there is always that one loud mouth swearing at you to ready up, because you're wasting 50 seconds of their oh so precious time.

Well, they have a point. Making everyone else wait for you is obnoxious and rude. Matchmaking already seems to take forever now. Why aggravate it by making everyone else wait even longer?

if you have time to be playing games, you can wait for my team to rearrange or plan things.

When CW starts, this will be more understandable. For now, most teams do not need that much time to organize. I do not remember the last time I saw a structured game in a PUG. They are all just Team Deathmatch right now.

Even more aggravating, are the people that die and then proceed to spew hate all over the chat. my personal favorit recently was the charming character that accused my entire team of being exploiting faggots.

Heh heh

Mock them. or ignore them. I have done both. What can they do about it?

Now, Sadistic Savior, i do understand where you are coming from. however, in the real world when you behave like the said above person, there are frequently consequences for doing so.

I agree. But this is not the real world. It's just a game. No one keyed your car or stabbed your dog. Their words have zero affect on you, either in the game or real life.

Everyone has a different idea of what is good fun and what is going too far. I think most people complaining about this are being unreasonable. If a guy is calling you a fаggot...so what? I am gay in real life, and I don't care, so why should anyone else? It is not something to get so worked up over IMO.

I do agree that you should have the ability to ignore players, but this is really a trivial issue. This game has way bigger problems that should be addressed first.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 03 October 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#26 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

I am very good at ignoring people. It is a skill more people should cultivate.

Again with the comments that you are better than most people.

So what? "Most of you" are not the boss of everyone else.

If you live in America, then yes they are. Here, it's the devs, but since they don't want to close up shop and go find other jobs, I think they will listen to the majority. Thus the rules and regulations here on the forums etc.

And I would like world peace. You do not always get your way. Thats part of being an adult.

You must have had quite the childhood, as I rarely got what I wanted as a child.

Words do absolutely nothing to you.

Now that ranks right up with the most *self-moderated* things you've ever said. That silly childhood rhyme is nonsense. Words can and do hurt. I do agree that many people are overly sensitive or play at it for the sake of drama and gaining attention, but that is another issue.

I agree you should have that option. But it should not be necessary. Ignoring people is a lot easier than it seems.

Again, you imply that we lack the ability or skill that you do. Must be lonely in your world with so few peers.

Here's the deal. Reasonable, mature people can handle people with other opinions. But some things most of us will not tolerate, like child or sexual abuse. So when people starting talking about **** dungeons in game, I know that there's a 99.99% chance they are full of it, and are just immature virgins talking trash. But guess what? I reported all three of them. I hope they got bans for it. I suspect they got away with warnings, but so be it.

Why? Because I know **** survivors. It isn't something to joke about. Neither is child abuse. You may think tossing racial slurs is no big deal, but whenever it goes unchallenged it validates the attitude and that does nothing to end it.

So you may not participate in negative behavior, but you damn sure don't help stop it if you don't speak up.

Now I know you well enough to know that you will just make up some excuse, or just reiterate your same old argument and then toss in a crumb like yes we should all fight evil or that we should support a in-game /ignore, but whatever dude. I know you, the real you. So even though this won't impact you in a significant way, maybe it will help someone else.

#27 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ingame chat has to follow the same code of conduct as the forums. Any violation is a reportable offense and can lead to severe punishment.

Just because some have a higher tolerance for insults, obscene language or personal attacks doesn't make it any way acceptable. So please report any violations of the CoC to support@mwomercs.com. Depending on severity or if they are repeat offenders, punishment can range from a simple warn to a permanent ban of all accounts.

#28 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 October 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

snip
So you may not participate in negative behavior, but you damn sure don't help stop it if you don't speak up.
snip

All of this. I tip my hat to you, sir!
o7

#29 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

^this. a thousand times this.

#30 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 October 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Again with the comments that you are better than most people.

I am in this case. If an ignore function is implemented, you can be assured I will not start threads complaining about it.

If you live in America, then yes they are. Here, it's the devs, but since they don't want to close up shop and go find other jobs, I think they will listen to the majority. Thus the rules and regulations here on the forums etc.

Good luck appealing to them. I do not think you are the majority though. Most people will not want tight restrictions on speech in game.

I suspect the DEVs agree, which is why there is no ignore function.

You must have had quite the childhood, as I rarely got what I wanted as a child.

People tend to cater to children more than adults.

Words can and do hurt.

LOL! Then you need to develop a thicker skin.

A knife or fist can hurt you. Words do not do anything to you. You make yourself vulnerable to words. And you can remove that vulnerability if you want to.

Again, you imply that we lack the ability or skill that you do. Must be lonely in your world with so few peers.

In the real world I have lots of peers. Even in the game I have lots of peers. I do not think people like you are the norm. Most people are not so thin skinned that they cannot bear to see words that offend them.

Speak up if it makes you feel better. But I don't think other people should be censored just because they say things you don't like. The line between "offensive" and "amusing" is completely subjective, and I don't think you should be the one to draw it. The fact that you personally find something offensive is not evidence that it is actually offensive.

I think it is more reasonable to expect you to ignore things that offend you than it is to expect everyone else to conform to your personal sensibilities.

whatever dude. I know you, the real you.

LOL...sure you do. You have seen posts from me on an anonymous forum on a gaming site on the internet. Clearly that is all you need to know the real me.

#31 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostEgomane, on 03 October 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Ingame chat has to follow the same code of conduct as the forums. Any violation is a reportable offense and can lead to severe punishment.

Just because some have a higher tolerance for insults, obscene language or personal attacks doesn't make it any way acceptable. So please report any violations of the CoC to support@mwomercs.com. Depending on severity or if they are repeat offenders, punishment can range from a simple warn to a permanent ban of all accounts.

It can...but how likely is that to happen? Has it happened even once?

Either the DEVs are ok with it or indifferent to it IMO. Reporting them is a placebo. But I do agree they should be reported, if for no other reason that to make the person reporting feel better.

#32 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

No they don't!

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

It can...but how likely is that to happen? Has it happened even once?

Regularly!

Edited by Egomane, 03 October 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#33 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostEgomane, on 03 October 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

No they don't!

So where is the ignore function?

Regularly!

How did you determine that?

#34 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

So where is the ignore function?

We don't need it, if everyone follows the CoC.

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

How did you determine that?

I am not allowed to tell you more without risking my position as a volunteer moderator. You have to trust my word on this. Or that of the the staff moderators or GMs, who repeatedly posted the very same to the forums.

#35 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

I am in this case. If an ignore function is implemented, you can be assured I will not start threads complaining about it.

Good luck appealing to them. I do not think you are the majority though. Most people will not want tight restrictions on speech in game.

People tend to cater to children more than adults.

LOL! Then you need to develop a thicker skin.

A knife or fist can hurt you. Words do not do anything to you. You make yourself vulnerable to words. And you can remove that vulnerability if you want to.

In the real world I have lots of peers. Even in the game I have lots of peers. I do not think people like you are the norm. Most people are not so thin skinned that they cannot bear to see words that offend them.

Speak up if it makes you feel better. But I don't think other people should be censored just because they say things you don't like. The line between "offensive" and "amusing" is completely subjective, and I don't think you should be the one to draw it. The fact that you personally find something offensive is not evidence that it is actually offensive.

I think it is more reasonable to expect you to ignore things that offend you than it is to expect everyone else to conform to your personal sensibilities.

LOL...sure you do. You have seen posts from me on an anonymous forum on a gaming site on the internet. Clearly that is all you need to know the real me.

Last in, first out. I called it didn't I? You didn't really respond to what I said, except to imply you are better than anyone who disagrees with you. So no I don't know your name, your age etc, but I know "who" you are where it counts.

The devs have moderators to police the forums, and they do address issues in game. So to equate the lack of an ignore function with them not carrying about cultural norms etc seems ludicrous to me.

As to thin skins, really? So **** victim should just suck it up? When a couple of idiots start talking about locking women up in a basement so they can **** them whenever they want, they should just blow it off and not have a flashback to when they were *****?

Because that is all I ever said about getting my feelings hurt. If you want to call someone "gay" as an insult, no I don't start bleeding, nor do I start crying and stop playing MWO. What I do is decide the person saying is a douche and report them. If I see someone in game with a vulgar or racist name, then yea I report them. Not because I am weak or thin skinned, but because it's wrong on a level that you apparently can't relate to.

The only reason I don't ignore you completely is because I don't believe you are a racist ****** who beats children. Instead I think you are just trolling in order to feel like you put people in their place because you read your posts and think they rise to the level of literature and thus you have once again proven your superiority.

#36 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Reporting does nothing to shield you while in a match, and it requires a lot effort to prevent abuse for some other people. So yeah, DC remains my preferred method.

#37 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostModo44, on 04 October 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

Reporting does nothing to shield you while in a match, and it requires a lot effort to prevent abuse for some other people. So yeah, DC remains my preferred method.

It does not shield you in this one match, but it will protect you in the future. If the player changes his behavior or is removed from the game, he can no longer disturb you or anyone else.

Intentional disconnecting is also a reportable offense.

#38 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

Go ahead, ban me now.

#39 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

So a thread about negative behavior has turned into a thread with negative behavior.

Posted Image

#40 Lord Baldric

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSlightly to the left of sanity

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

There is an important fact being over looked here. I often see people who choose to use insulting and disparaging remarks tell people to "get a thicker skin", "grow up", " don't get so emotional".

The insults are 'justified' as being emotional outbursts in a heated moment. Alternately its people 'just messing around or joking'

What is being overlooked is those that are having outbursts in heated moments are being hypocrites. You are claiming people show grow up and so on yet you are the one acting out and being emotional. Can't have it both ways. Get a thicker skin and learn to control your outbursts. The anonymity of the internet does not automatically give you a free pass to act in any way you see fit. A good guideline to follow is if you wouldn't say it face to face to a stranger, don't do it here.

Sure its nice to say its just words and they can't hurt you. What is wrong with asking people to be civil? Many phrases are chosen specifically because the users are trying to be hurtful. Otherwise whats the point of trying to insult in the first place? A joke is only a joke in the right context. If someone isn't specifically seeking you out for your brand of humor then you have 0 idea what is the appropriate context. So that argument falls flat.

Its a weak argument to fall back that its just in fun or someone is being overly sensitive when the intent is to evoke an emotional response.

This goes both ways. Not everyone should be required to tolerate or conform someones sense of humor if they find it offensive. Reports are the only recourse currently. Keep in mind however. This is PGI's sandbox. They have put forth rules of conduct you are expected to abide by. It is their sensibilities you are expected to conform to. This is not a situation where freedom of speech applies. You do not have to like their rules but you agreed to them to be able to play and accept the consequences of not conforming.

In the end showing good sportsmanship and being civil is the overriding goal. Why should people have to tolerate the intolerant and boorish?

Edited by Lord Baldric, 04 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users