- - - - -

Short Question, Short Answer

10303 replies to this topic

#3621 MFZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostExoForce, on 09 April 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

And AC10 ammo explosion will do less damage to a new player then AC20 ammo explosion..

Why "less" and why "to a new player" only?

#3622 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Ammo explosions damage is based on the damage of the weapon to which the ammo belongs. So AC10 ammo does "less" damage when it explodes than AC20 ammo. Frankly, it's not an issue. If you are worrying about the amount of damage an ammo explosion might do you're worried about the wrong things entirely.

Has absolutely nothing to do with being a new player at all. Not sure why that was said, probably just poor phrasing.

#3623 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Regarding this ammunition explosion thing, here's what I thought:
One ton of all ammunition can deal 150 dmg within optimal range except NARC (0), AMS (0), and AC/20 (140).
Ammo can be critted and destroyed without exploding.
Exploding ammo will do damage equal to however many rounds remain in that critical slot times the damage per bullet. For example, if you have five shots of AC/20 in your left arm and it explodes, it will do 5*20=100 damage.
Because of this, it doesn't matter how much damage per shot you can do, it's how much ammo you have left. As a corollary, the lighter autocannons' ammo does more explosion damage-per-time because although more shots are fired per time, the remaining ammo count*dmg/shot is still more than that of a heavier autocannon after the same time.

#3624 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

That's not how it works. It's got nothing to do with rounds remaining, but with the caliber of the rounds remaining. At one time I pulled the data out of the game files, an ammo explosion is actually a series of explosions. I think the files called them micro explosions. Unless there has been a patch notes or developer commented change to this, I'd assume it was still the same.

#3625 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostBanditman, on 10 April 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

That's not how it works. It's got nothing to do with rounds remaining, but with the caliber of the rounds remaining. At one time I pulled the data out of the game files, an ammo explosion is actually a series of explosions. I think the files called them micro explosions. Unless there has been a patch notes or developer commented change to this, I'd assume it was still the same.

So an AC/20 ammo slot with 4 rounds in it will do the same explosion damage as an AC/20 ammo slot with 7 rounds in it?

#3626 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

Last time I pulled the data out of the game files, this was true. I could have missed a change being called out in the patch notes or a dev post. The last time I did anything with it was not too long after crits were introduced, so it has been a while, but if it changed, it should have been called out.

#3627 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 776 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostMFZ, on 10 April 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Why "less" and why "to a new player" only?

As a beginner, I would start with longer range, faster weapons and less explosive ammo, to keep distance until torso twist is learned.

internalDamage = integer value of damage recieved when ammo is destroy from within the Mech

Edited by ExoForce, 10 April 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#3628 Oriramikad

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

Any quick and easy tips for running MWO faster on a weak graphics card? (Nvidia Quadro 160M)

#3629 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

is there any chance to me to get less fps?
so, i have a quite old pc here which i'm going to seriously upgrade... but i can upgrade it in 1-2 weeks only and i want to play mwo already -_- (i'm often carried away :3 then, i like that universe despite it being unrealistic for quite a while)

it's 1.8 ghz 1 core, 3gb, 0.5gb video card, honestly if mwo were coded properly it should have worked with it, like league of legend does, while having a significantly prettier picture overall, but w/e, it's just ranting. so, i set everything as low as possible, set fullscreen, the lowest resolution (brr), turned v-sinc off, set user.cfg to

cl_fov = 90
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0.0
sys_MaxFPS = 30

upgraded my video drivers (lost 1-2 fps in the training grounds mode in the process, lol), turned sound off, i dunno what i can do else

so, i wouldn't mind to have 10 or even 5 fps during an actual match, but i have 2.5 (on screen) and actually probably less than 1 fps, i sometimes cannot even move to the proper position and spend most of the battle turning on the spot and cannot or barely can use even lrm and streaks. i played nearly 20 battles (my poor teammates... well, i often pick mechs with ams and ecm and going to buy kit fox (lrm+streaks till i upgrade my comp, 2 ll then), so i hope i'm at least a bit useful), there was only one of them where i did some damage as mdd-prime (yeah, in all the others i did 0 damage), i also was spectated as the last surviving (spent all the time trying to climb a hill), comments on my attempts to move and shoot were pretty funny

obviously it's not very fun to play that way but i want to get the cadet bonus to be able to write on the forum and also to buy a mech, and then it's still a bit fun, i can spectate when i'm dead and always have a chance to make some damage, also i learn how to position myself (:

it would be nice if there was some magical line in a config or something to give me 5 fps during a match...

#3630 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 10 April 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

it's 1.8 ghz 1 core, 3gb, 0.5gb video card, honestly if mwo were coded properly it should have worked with it, like league of legend does, while having a significantly prettier picture overall, but w/e, it's just ranting. so, i set everything as low as possible, set fullscreen, the lowest resolution (brr), turned v-sinc off, set user.cfg to

That's not even close to meeting the minimum specs for this game. Your computer would have been decent back in 2003 (I have an old one I bought back then with similar specs) but there is no way you can hope to play a modern game with anything less than a dual core processor of probably 2 ghz min. And that's on the low end.

Oh and LoL and MWO are like comparing apples and oranges. There is nothing similar about the two games.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 10 April 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#3631 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

well, i don't usually play games, bought some cheap comp and when i do (lol, dota) it worked fine so id didn't upgrade it yet
mwo is terribly coded but regardless, is there any way to get some more fps?

#3632 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 10 April 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

well, i don't usually play games, bought some cheap comp and when i do (lol, dota) it worked fine so id didn't upgrade it yet
mwo is terribly coded but regardless, is there any way to get some more fps?

One of the easy and sometimes helpful tweaks is to alt-tab from the game, start task manager, click "show processes of all users" or whatever it is called, then find mwoclient process and set its priority higher. There's a chance it will help a noticeable bit.
I also tend to restart the PC before playing MWO and after about of 2 hours playing. Dunno the reason, but on my pc, the game tends to run worse after several battles.

-----------
EDIT: My question:
when are the awards for lfg challange awarded? I won 120 MC yesterday, but didn't get any.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 10 April 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#3633 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 10 April 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

when are the awards for lfg challange awarded? I won 120 MC yesterday, but didn't get any.

it does not say on the tournaments page, but in the past they have worked in one of 3 ways, you could get the rewards automatically within 30 minutes of earning them, you could have to claim them on the tournaments page, or they could be delivered at the end of the weekend

#3634 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 10 April 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

One of the easy and sometimes helpful tweaks is to alt-tab from the game, start task manager, click "show processes of all users" or whatever it is called, then find mwoclient process and set its priority higher. There's a chance it will help a noticeable bit.

thanks, i will try... it seems user.cfg cannot do much more than what i already set there, i checked this forum and it seems a lot of its functionality was removed...

I also tend to restart the PC before playing MWO and after about of 2 hours playing. Dunno the reason, but on my pc, the game tends to run worse after several battles.

i noticed it too. btw it probably means this game has a memory leak

#3635 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Panther worth anything in regards of competitive play?

#3636 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

Any mech worth something in right hands.

#3637 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

Is it canonically acceptable to have a player-controlled indirect-fire artillery piece?

#3638 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostTylerchu, on 11 April 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

Is it canonically acceptable to have a player-controlled indirect-fire artillery piece?

in Battletech they did exist, however in Mechwarrior games the closest we have ever game was the ability to fit Long Tom cannons to some Battlemechs.

as for MWO, players piloting an artillery piece is unlikely to happen, if we ever get tanks and aerospace assets that is when we will see them but as the game is Mechwarrior Online that seems to exclude non Mech assets.

you can at current call an artillery strike, and I suspect that is the closest we will get to being able to control mobile artillery.

#3639 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 11 April 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

in Battletech they did exist, however in Mechwarrior games the closest we have ever game was the ability to fit Long Tom cannons to some Battlemechs.

as for MWO, players piloting an artillery piece is unlikely to happen, if we ever get tanks and aerospace assets that is when we will see them but as the game is Mechwarrior Online that seems to exclude non Mech assets.

you can at current call an artillery strike, and I suspect that is the closest we will get to being able to control mobile artillery.

I was thinking of an absurdly heavy ballistic weapon with no almost no max range, somewhat fast muzzle velocity, and an incredible projectile drop rate. The weight is so that you'd have to have a heavier mech to use it, and even if you did it would force you to sacrifice armor, engine, or other weapons (and let's face it, assaults really aren't that fast to begin with so they do need the armor). The drop rate and muzzle velocity would make it so you could fire in an arc. But we would have to come up with some sort of rangefinder...maybe have the howitzer automatically aim to where your reticle is? The Long Tom fits this pretty well from MW4: Mercs IIRC. It was heavy and bothersome to mount but pray you're never directly hit by more than one.

#3640 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

Battletech has such weapons as the long tom, but they were usually mounted on tanks rather than mechs, as mechs live by faster action with automatic direct fire weapons and sometimes LRM support.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Artillery
Very unlikely to see them as weapons ingame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users