#7901 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostBrion Laoch, on 09 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. Is there a noticeable heat difference between clan short range missile 4's vs 6's? I bought a Huntsman Prime based on videos i've watched. I've been having a problem with heat management running 4-srm6's. I'm wondering if I should drop down to 4's instead.

Perfect place to ask.

Are you firing the 4 SRM-6s at the same time? If you are, you are incurring ghost heat (unless that changed from the limit of "3" being okay).

(Ghost heat or "Heat scale" as the proper term is, is a sort of penalty system that gives you exorbitant amounts of extra heat as punishment for firing too much of something at once. You can easily overcome it by firing 2 SRM-6 followed by 2 SRM-6 half a second later.)

SRM-4s I think have a similar limit. But the heat is more manageable. They actually have a tighter spread per missile, too. There's also the firing rate which is faster (this can lead to it being hotter over time compared to SRM-6s). Being lighter, you can also stack in a bit more ammo or an additional heatsink or two, as well.

Edited by Koniving, 09 July 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#7902 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostBrion Laoch, on 09 July 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. Is there a noticeable heat difference between clan short range missile 4's vs 6's? I bought a Huntsman Prime based on videos i've watched. I've been having a problem with heat management running 4-srm6's. I'm wondering if I should drop down to 4's instead.

To add to Koniving, I do believe that SRM Ghost heat for all launchers is 4 at this time, but the in game mechlab will inform you if you are incurring a ghost heat penalty (if you fire more than a set amount at once). It will tell you this at the top middle of the mechlab, as a hazard triangle.

Beyond ghost heat, if you are running too hot (SRM6s do produce more heat than SRM4s), it is a viable option to downgrade to SRM4s to save some weight (should be 2 tons if I'm correct). This should not only reduce overall heat, but also should allow you (crit space permitting) to place an additional 2 Double Heat Sinks into your build to make it run even cooler. (I know, Koniving already said most of this.)

As a Huntsmen user myself, I'm left asking what else is on your mech. You can't have only 4 SRM6s, as you'd have a lot of weight left over or you packed in too much ammo. I'm presuming some lasers of some kind? Though we normally don't like addressing build advice in this thread (because that is rarely a short answer and often is "up to preference" half the time), if you wish to post what you have for your build we can help improve it maybe.

I suggest you go to Smurfy Mechlab (click the link) and recreate your build. Save it, and then post a link of it in this thread. As you get more experienced, you should find Smurfy to be an excellent sight to get information about the game that is often up to date. It's also great for saving mech builds and bookmarking the links. I've got some mech builds from years ago saved as a bookmark, and I can change a mech back to an older build sometimes because of that. Rather handy when I want to post a build up, like this as an example.

I've posted up my current Huntsmen Pakhet Hero build, which I'm guessing is similar to your Huntsmen build (I'm guessing the P variant mostly), possibly with different laser weapons. Some people disagree with the ERLLs on my build, but it's worked well for me. It's mostly an example of what Smurfy can do, but you can also always take any inspiration from it if you wish.

(Sorry about the novel. One of these days, I'll learn to type less words... But not today!)

#7903 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

Yikes, didn't think the joking post would merit a reporting. To enumerate on the idea of my initial "Short question" however, it'll be simple.

Short Question: When is the Ac20 an advisable weapon to use?

Short Answer: Best uses are for short range, immediate front load of damage that does not require more than the absolute minimum in face time. Best uses are for brawl fights where torso twisting can be of major impact, and peeking around corners as an ambush punch.

Short Question: When are *ballistics viable*?

Short Answer: Ballistics remove enemy ability to find where they got shot from. They provide immediate damage, high impact, and generally throw people off their aim. They are less heat intensive. When used properly they can be very high range, high speed, suppressive weapons.

Sorry if I ruined the fun.

Edit- I mean that sincerely, not patronizingly.

Edited by THE GOD KING URBIE LORD OF MECHS, 09 July 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#7904 Brion Laoch

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

I'm grateful for the replies to my question. I'd forgot to mention that i've tried wielding either medium lasers or small pulse lasers in addition to the missiles. 4 each. I've been running the lasers in my torsos to peek over hills and whatnot. I put the missiles in the arms thinking that the lower height wouldn't matter too much within the ideal range.

#7905 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostBrion Laoch, on 09 July 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

I put the missiles in the arms thinking that the lower height wouldn't matter too much within the ideal range.

Indeed, it really doesn't matter much. Side note, this is even advantageous as you develop your personal skill in piloting 'Mechs. (As in real skill, not the "skill tree" unlocks).

This is because the arms can be controlled independently of the torso which has a myriad of uses, the greatest one being that arms can always move significantly faster than the torso which is great for tracking and hitting really fast targets (and targets that are 'too close' to look down or up at).

An example of this, which uses SRMs in the arms, can be found on this video. Numerous lights met their fate at twin SRM-2s that day.

I'm sorry about the Mechwarrior music spam but I found out after that my 'voice' only worked for maybe a fourth of the video so I decided to just drown my voice out altogether.

#7906 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

(Unlocking the arms is the first step; remember you can hold "Shift" to get them to lock temporarily Unlocked arms also has the side effect of faster torso twisting movement. The second step, for true control of the arms, is to hold the Left CTRL key [while the arms are unlocked]. The arms will track your virtual head [to a limited extent]. The "o" crosshair is your arms. The "+" crosshair is your torso/head.)

(Additional note: You can use both the + crosshair and the o crosshair to acquire locks. Any "Strikes" you call down will go to your Arm Crosshair. Any dumbfired missiles will go to the crosshair associated with its location on your body [as such you can even fire LRMs at two different targets if you have LRMs on both the torso and the arms...but this would only occur with dumb firing [without lock]).

#7907 Brion Laoch

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

A video showing words in action can't be beat. One more question and I will stop or set up another thread; Tesunie, if I run your example build should I not use Artemis?

Edited by Brion Laoch, 09 July 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#7908 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

Nope. Artemis Adds a tonne to each launcher, and isn't all that necessary for srm 4s, as they're pretty tight as is.

~Leone.

#7909 Brion Laoch

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostLeone, on 09 July 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Nope. Artemis Adds a tonne to each launcher, and isn't all that necessary for srm 4s, as they're pretty tight as is.

~Leone.

Thank you and the others. Time to put this advice into practice.

#7910 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostBrion Laoch, on 09 July 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

A video showing words in action can't be beat. One more question and I will stop or set up another thread; Tesunie, if I run your example build should I not use Artemis?

I only posted my build as an example and/or something for you to think about. I find it useful as a multi-range engagement mech, as I'll use the ERLLs at range mostly and occationally as a damage spike at close range if my heat can take it. Otherwise, close range is almost always only SRM4s being fired due to the heat the ERLLs can produce.

As Koniving said, I don't use Artemis there due to the weight it takes up, and SRM4s do have relatively low spread compared to SRM6s.

Ultimately, it's up to you with what you want to run and how hot you feel you can take it. My build works well for me, it might not work well for you.

If you want specific building advice for your mech, you are best off creating a specific separate thread for it. You'll probably get better results than here, as we try to limit things to short questions and short(ish) answers. (Which me and Koniving never seem to understand... Short answers... Yeah...Posted Image )

#7911 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:52 AM

Artemis does still tighten the spread for SRM4s but with the Clan SRM4 which only weighs a ton the 100% weight increase for a tighter spread is a far more significant investment than with IS SRM4 at 2 tons, I have run ASRM4 and they are better than regular SRM4, especialy with the Clan SRM4 the reduced spread is rather useful, but not worth double the weight, on IS SRM4 it is only a 50% weight increase but they spread out less anyway, if I am planning to use SRMs at more than about 150m and I have plenty of tonage left I would seriously consider ASRM4

I never take Artemis SRM2, the 1 ton for Artemis on top of half a ton for Clan and 1 ton for IS, coupled with the fact that it makes no noticable diferance to SRM2 spread makes an Artemis SRM2 pointless.

regardless if I am using SRM6 I usualy do take Artemis because they have enough spread that Artemis is almost always worthwile, and if I do not have the tonage for ASRM6 then SRM4 is probably a better choice anyway.

#7912 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

I think I may very well be having a serious brain fart here. My entire build scheme for AC20 is built around this but for some reason I'm having a nagging sense of doubt for something I've used for the better part of my entire time playing MWO.

SHORT QUESTION:

The UM-R60L, according to smurphy, has a -10% ac20 cooldown highlighted in RED. Am I losing my mind and thinking that means my AC20 builds are all cooling 10% SLOWER? Or am I just misreading?

Edit- Please tell me I'm just losing my mind. I would seriously hate to have been designing and refining my builds on something built against it. I really am hoping I am having one of those moments where you just *know* you're right but are seriously derping hard and doubting the right answer.

Edited by THE GOD KING URBIE LORD OF MECHS, 10 July 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#7913 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostTHE GOD KING URBIE LORD OF MECHS, on 10 July 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

I think I may very well be having a serious brain fart here. My entire build scheme for AC20 is built around this but for some reason I'm having a nagging sense of doubt for something I've used for the better part of my entire time playing MWO.

SHORT QUESTION:

The UM-R60L, according to smurphy, has a -10% ac20 cooldown highlighted in RED. Am I losing my mind and thinking that means my AC20 builds are all cooling 10% SLOWER? Or am I just misreading?

-10% cooldown means the cooldown time is 10% faster, in other words it reloads 10% faster.

Edit- Please tell me I'm just losing my mind. I would seriously hate to have been designing and refining my builds on something built against it. I really am hoping I am having one of those moments where you just *know* you're right but are seriously derping hard and doubting the right answer.

as requested, you are just loosing your mind.

#7914 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Losing my mind AYE.

I'm sitting here out to sea having not played in *months* thinking

"No....no wait...what am I thinking here. Did I really? Noooo..."

Thank you Rogue.

Edited by THE GOD KING URBIE LORD OF MECHS, 10 July 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#7915 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Here is the link where the guy took screenshots for every color available in the Loot Bag event.

As others have said, the colors can look different in game, on different mechs and so on. But at least you know a general idea of what the color will be.

#7916 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

Well, I had a break for 3-4 months ~one month ago. After that break I bought an EBJ/GHR Steampack. Thanks to it I have ~5k MC to spend. My plan is to get the Scorch when it is on sale.
But I have no Idea when the last assault-sale was... and the next to expect... any predictions?
The next one: I want the MC-MK2 because I love (like 80% of the playerbase) this mech. I am only interested in the hero. But can be bought in the, for me, absolutely useless base pack... I thought PGI said, that they want to change the destribution model. Did I miss an Information on it? Will It be possible to buy this only hero without basepack in the future (not MC release)

Thanks!

Edited by Nerokar, 10 July 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#7917 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostNerokar, on 10 July 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Well, I had a break for 3-4 months ~one month ago. After that break I bought an EBJ/GHR Steampack. Thanks to it I have ~5k MC to spend. My plan is to get the Scorch when it is on sale.
But I have no Idea when the last assault-sale was... and the next to expect... any predictions?
The next one: I want the MC-MK2 because I love (like 80% of the playerbase) this mech. I am only interested in the hero. But can be bought in the, for me, absolutely useless base pack... I thought PGI said, that they want to change the destribution model. Did I miss an Information on it? Will It be possible to buy this only hero without basepack in the future (not MC release)

Thanks!

sorry but no, it is impossible to predict with any accuracy when a specific Mech will go on sale, beyond that christmas usualy has an all hero/champion Mech sale.

PGI do not usualy put all Mechs of a certain type on sale, there is usualy a Mech sale at least once a month but that usualy contains a theamed selection of Mechs, not all assualts or all Lights but maybe all Jumping Mechs, or all mechs used by competitive players , or all chicken walker Mechs, or all Zombie (with head or CT hardpoints, able to keep fighting with just the head, CT and 1 leg) Mechs.

As for the Mad Cat MKII that will be available for MC on the 9th or January 2017 2018. all packs have an FAQ page in the frequently asked questions forum which usualy mentions cbill and MC release dates.

edit:
with your 5000 MC you will not get much change after purchasing Scorch when on sale, and purchasing enough to buy the Mad Cat MKII even if on sale will cost $30 in MC, not much less than the $35 to get it and another 3 varients along with a month of premium time and a bunch of extras, if you spend the $35 you will have it next week rather than next year, if you do not want the other varients consider the extra $5 for (I am guessing about) 25 million cbills from selling those other varients and their equipment, as well as the month of premium time which PGI recently added to the base level of the Civil War packs.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 July 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#7918 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the answer. Its kinda pitty, that I have to hope for good luck with the sale that affects scorch.
I am completely happy with my Hero und special collection in all but assault wightclass. Hoped for Scorch and MCMKII as assaults to fill the missing roles in my hangar. But Looks like I have to wait.

As for my MC-MK-2 Hero question: It was not clear enough: I thought PGI wanted to stop to sell this Packs as 3 base mech variants for 20$ plus 3 more (better) variants for 15$ and Hero for 15$ on top of basepack because this model is obsolete since the mechmastery is not needed anymore... I hoped there is some Info on this statement.
So if I want DEATHSTRIKE I have to buy the base pack for 20$ to be able to spend 15$ on the hero... but I have no need in the base variants, especially on an OMNI mech it is kinda pointless... I hoped for same model as heros-packs have. Pay 25$, get a DEATHSTRIKE...

#7919 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

View PostNerokar, on 10 July 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer. Its kinda pitty, that I have to hope for good luck with the sale that affects scorch.
I am completely happy with my Hero und special collection in all but assault wightclass. Hoped for Scorch and MCMKII as assaults to fill the missing roles in my hangar. But Looks like I have to wait.

As for my MC-MK-2 Hero question: It was not clear enough: I thought PGI wanted to stop to sell this Packs as 3 base mech variants for 20$ plus 3 more (better) variants for 15$ and Hero for 15$ on top of basepack because this model is obsolete since the mechmastery is not needed anymore... I hoped there is some Info on this statement.
So if I want DEATHSTRIKE I have to buy the base pack for 20$ to be able to spend 15$ on the hero... but I have no need in the base variants, especially on an OMNI mech it is kinda pointless... I hoped for same model as heros-packs have. Pay 25$, get a DEATHSTRIKE...

Just randomly, I'm pretty sure the Mad Cat MKII is a Clan battlemech rather than an omnimech

#7920 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 11 July 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Just randomly, I'm pretty sure the Mad Cat MKII is a Clan battlemech rather than an omnimech

You just destroyed my happy world...

But the 3 variants + extravariants + hero pack are still bad, since mastery is gone

Edited by Nerokar, 11 July 2017 - 04:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users