Short Question, Short Answer

10297 replies to this topic

#7941 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:17 AM

Soooo.....Who did not understand the fine print and thought they were getting a new mech with a cool pattern when they reached 130 loot bags? Who wishes there was an asterisk on the chassis box as well as the pattern box? Who has a red mark on their face when they *FACEPALMED* ???

Short answer: This guy.

Edit: There have been people in matches thinking they were getting new mechs. They were confused when we told them what was really happening so I tried to put a humorous twist (FAIL) while explaining this for some who are expecting to get 2 mechs and patterns.

Edited by Gibson Ibanez, 16 July 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#7942 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

IS PPC question:

Do you ever "fire for effect"? I've got a Panther I run, the loadout is 1 PPC, dual srm2 streaks, and dual AMS. (I call it A--Hole.) I have a habit of firing the PPC even when the target is inside minimum range when I'm brawling, because a) it makes a big noise and B) the target MIGHT back out to 90m since the cooldown on my ssrms is 1.735 seconds. and c) does the plasma ball not still obfuscate my enemies targeting reticle? I get a lot of grief for doing this from spectators. It's not like I'm firing till I overheat, I keep the bar at about 85%.

#7943 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 16 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

IS PPC question:

Do you ever "fire for effect"? I've got a Panther I run, the loadout is 1 PPC, dual srm2 streaks, and dual AMS. (I call it A--Hole.) I have a habit of firing the PPC even when the target is inside minimum range when I'm brawling, because a) it makes a big noise and B) the target MIGHT back out to 90m since the cooldown on my ssrms is 1.735 seconds. and c) does the plasma ball not still obfuscate my enemies targeting reticle? I get a lot of grief for doing this from spectators. It's not like I'm firing till I overheat, I keep the bar at about 85%.

Having been on the recieving end of this when hunting ppc lights in my Viper I can tell you that it really does nothing to effect an experienced, determined, enemy within 90m. The streaks are the only thing of concern within 90m but even a mediocre pilot like me would not think twice about closing distance with your Panther and ignore the flash and sound of the ppc to try and take your legs. You would probably still kill me somehow but the ppc would change nothing regarding my ability to target you within 90m.

Edited by Gibson Ibanez, 16 July 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#7944 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 16 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

IS PPC question:

Do you ever "fire for effect"? I've got a Panther I run, the loadout is 1 PPC, dual srm2 streaks, and dual AMS. (I call it A--Hole.) I have a habit of firing the PPC even when the target is inside minimum range when I'm brawling, because a) it makes a big noise and Posted Image the target MIGHT back out to 90m since the cooldown on my ssrms is 1.735 seconds. and c) does the plasma ball not still obfuscate my enemies targeting reticle? I get a lot of grief for doing this from spectators. It's not like I'm firing till I overheat, I keep the bar at about 85%.

As someone that's been on both ends.. I will tell you the only remote use you can get out of it is if the enemy has ECM. Otherwise don't bother.

PPCs disable ECM, thus hitting him regardless of minimum range will disable their ECM temporarily.
Though I remember some sort of change in regards to that so if it fails to disable his ECM; don't bother.

You can use Snub Nose in the near future, and consider ER PPCs until then.

#7945 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys. With my luck, the snub PPC will weigh 22 tons and cost the GNP of Ireland. I didn't know that about the ECM!

#7946 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 16 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Thanks guys. With my luck, the snub PPC will weigh 22 tons and cost the GNP of Ireland. I didn't know that about the ECM!

It weighs 6 tons, but doesn't have the range of PPCs.

It's also only two slots, so it will fit in weird places like center torsos on some mechs.

Technically it's described as something of a PPC shotgun in lore, but in MWO it won't be spreading any damage. Instead it just has a fairly short optimum range (270-ish?). No minimum range.

Edited by Koniving, 16 July 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#7947 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 July 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

As someone that's been on both ends.. I will tell you the only remote use you can get out of it is if the enemy has ECM. Otherwise don't bother.

PPCs disable ECM, thus hitting him regardless of minimum range will disable their ECM temporarily.
Though I remember some sort of change in regards to that so if it fails to disable his ECM; don't bother.

You can use Snub Nose in the near future, and consider ER PPCs until then.

I did not know that ecm went on the fritz when hit with a ppc. Thanks for bringing that out. Learn something new everyday and a day will never be wasted.

#7948 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostGibson Ibanez, on 16 July 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I did not know that ecm went on the fritz when hit with a ppc. Thanks for bringing that out. Learn something new everyday and a day will never be wasted.

Yep. This is true of all PPCs in MWO. ER PPCs are more effective than standard as the effect lasts longer.

#7949 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I remember back during the abomination that was energy draw testing one of the few things I liked was heat sink nationalization. Besides hit point values are heat-sinks performing the same IS vs Clan?

#7950 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostKaptain, on 16 July 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

I remember back during the abomination that was energy draw testing one of the few things I liked was heat sink nationalization. Besides hit point values are heat-sinks performing the same IS vs Clan?

no, there are diferances.
Clan Double heatsinks have higher disipation but lower capacity than IS Double Heatshink, all in engine DHS have 0.2 disipation per second and 2 capacity per heatsink, out of engine DHS if I remember correctly and they have not changed it recently without me noticing, IS DHS have 0.14 disipation per second and 1.4 heat capacity while Clan DHS have 0.15 disipation per second and 1.1 capacity.
turns out I was wrong, it was changed end of last year, clan and IS are now the same again in terms of disipation and capacity, see Nerokar's post below

Also I realy wish they had not given up on energy draw so quickly, it seemed to me to have far more potential than the existing heat scale "ghost heat" system and logicly made a lot more sense, it just needed a little more work, like most of the mechanics PGI takes to testing with a little more work it could be a significant improvement, but player backlash against the initial version cause them to abandon it.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 July 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#7951 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

Lets quote:
patch-notes-1490-13-dec-2016
This should be the latest changes to Heat Things
(...Heat Things... you understand? Not funny? nevermind Posted Image)

Single Heat Sinks
• External Heat Sink Dissipation Rate remains at 0.12
• Engine Heat Sink Dissipation Rate increased to 0.12 (from 0.11)
• Heat Capacity remains at 1.2
Double Heat Sinks (Inner Sphere)
• External Heat Sink Dissipation Rate increased to 0.15 (from 0.14)
• Engine Heat Sink Dissipation Rate remains at .2
• Heat Capacity increased to 1.5 (from 1.1)
Double Heat Sinks (Clan)
• External Heat Sink Dissipation Rate remains at 0.15
• Engine Heat Sink Dissipation Rate remains at .2
• Heat Capacity increased to 1.5 (from 1.1)
• Component Health reduced to 6.6 (from 10)

Heat Sink Design Notes: We are unifying the Double Heat Sink behavior of Clan and Inner Sphere tech to provide a bit more consistency in performance between the two. As an alternative balance measure we are reducing the Component Health of the Clan Double Heat Sinks to account for their more compact size. This change in Component Health equalizes the total Component Health for Crit spaces used across the tech levels for Double Heat Sinks

For further informations on equipment questions you can allways look at smurfys data. Sometimes there is inaccurate information, but those cases are rare.

Edited by Nerokar, 17 July 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#7952 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 16 July 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

it just needed a little more work, like most of the mechanics PGI takes to testing with a little more work it could be a significant improvement, but player backlash against the initial version cause them to abandon it.

This. So much this.

Some people complain about everything, and any change to "their game" seems to so often be seen as "doom and gloom". Some don't even test it before providing the backlash... And this is on more than just the Energy Draw system... So many good ideas have been shut down. Often by incomplete "feedback" with minimal testing involved.

I, too, though Energy Draw had some merit to it. It seemed like a far more intuitive than trying to explain Ghost Heat to new players... Or having a new player "find out" about Ghost Heat the hard way. (Alpha with 12 ERML Stock Nova... Explodes wondering how that happened and thinks the game/mech sucks...)

#7953 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

SEI VERFLUCHT Rogue Jedi!
You and your jedi reflexes! One damn minute!
Joking aside. You missed those patch notes from Dec. 13.
According to them the values were normalized. Or do I missunterstand some data?

As for ED: I'm not realy sure, it is completely lost. I hope it will return at some point.

#7954 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

View PostNerokar, on 16 July 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

Lets quote:
patch-notes-1490-13-dec-2016
This should be the latest changes to Heat Things

Thank you!

#7955 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Are those prize camos that are being offered now in current challenge will be applicable to Jul 18 mechs like Mad Cat MK2 or Uziel?

#7956 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 17 July 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

Are those prize camos that are being offered now in current challenge will be applicable to Jul 18 mechs like Mad Cat MK2 or Uziel?

Easily enough answered... Go to the event page, select the tab for the camo prizes under it's mech chassis tab, and look.
I already did this for you and low and behold... No. It is not a selection option so no it is not valid as a chassis that can take one of the free camo unlocks. (Sadly.)

#7957 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 17 July 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think I saw a PGI employee say the prize website referenced a game database of current mechs only, so they couldn't include the new ones. Sorry, no link.

#7958 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostKeltan, on 17 July 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

I think I saw a PGI employee say the prize website referenced a game database of current mechs only, so they couldn't include the new ones. Sorry, no link.

This is correct

#7959 Nein Sky

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Hi, everyone!

Short question: How can i change the hardpoint (see picture below)?

Long one: both side torsos have 3 laser hardpoint. I want to put 2 lasers on the LT on high and middle hardpoint, but by default it puts them in that order: low - high - middle. And I have slots only for 2 lasers on LT, so 3 lasers isn't an option (well, at least in the build i want).

Posted Image

#7960 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostNein Sky, on 20 July 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Hi, everyone!

Short question: How can i change the hardpoint (see picture below)?

Long one: both side torsos have 3 laser hardpoint. I want to put 2 lasers on the LT on high and middle hardpoint, but by default it puts them in that order: low - high - middle. And I have slots only for 2 lasers on LT, so 3 lasers isn't an option (well, at least in the build i want).

If it automaticly puts them in in that order then your best bet would be to free up the slots for a 3rd laser, and put all 3 in, then remove the first one you added and put every thing else back.
I have not tried that recently but that trick has worked in the past to allow you to pick which hardpoint is used

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users