#7841 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 July 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Liao going on the attack unsuported against Davion would be interesting (mostly because I do not see how Liao could have any chance unless Davion were otherwise occupied).

ultimately though I would be fine with any of those pairings, would it be during the sucession wars?

Unsure but likely will have it fourth Succession War or very close to 3050, it's mainly to showcase a CW-like concept if we had a bit more depth (and vehicles/infantry/etc) to gameplay such as logistics and more meaningful intel. I want to write something that rivals this concept in terms of popularity, but also has a narrative focus as a sort of long short-story.

(To mention: Liao's defenses are terrible which in desperate times resort to car bombs and families entering combat by using any derelict combat-capable vehicle they find (through which one can earn citizenship without direct military service, provided they survive and have proof of fighting, otherwise citizenship is only earned through military service. As such most civilians have at least some military experience or have picked up some things from family members that have it). Really awesome is the unconventional use of Urbanmechs which includes burying them in jungles to use for ambushes. Sometimes you'll see the same mech fall and rise several times during a fight, each with a new pilot of varying [in]competence
Liao's offense, however, is an entirely different story. While their defenses rely heavily on large numbers of what amounts to basically poorly maintained trash, they spare no expense on their offensive forces. They sabotage their targets ahead of time with spies or commando teams and then send in their elites, with the defending team often unaware of it until the actual fighting begins. On occasion, Liao forces can slip an expeditionary force onto planets without even being detected, post 3029, despite the occasional days of travel through normal space to go from the arrival jump point to the actual planet they are invading. Also for some reason Liao's elites are almost entirely female..despite a massively high male population throughout all their planets. Just among those peculiar things to notice.)

Also thanks for the answer.

Edited by Koniving, 02 July 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#7842 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

Marik v Liao!

Let the Tech Imbalance fly!

~Leone.

#7843 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Always wondered why Marik kissed so much butt with the Liao, considering that the Mariks are the most technologically advanced through the second, third, and fourth Succession Wars, and are the only ones really 'equipped' to fight the Clans (besides Comstar itself) when they arrive. But then again they stayed out of most of the fights and have lots of red tape.

Maybe it's the fact that they have the least experienced military? Or perhaps because Liaos have a habit of killing Marik Ambassadors because they're annoying?
Spoiler

(Of course on a personal note, I think Kurita versus Davion or vice versa would be hilarious, due to the nature of Davion smart-backsides (it won't let me use the proper word.)

Spoiler

So I'll do one of each, it'd be a good way to showcase an idea of how to get each faction's unique abilities into play.

(Back to your regularly scheduled short questions and answers about MWO.)

Edited by Koniving, 04 July 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#7844 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

Does anyone else still use Awesomes? If so, which ones and a brief "Why would you?"

For me, with the loss of their slow stopping power, they can't climb hills anywhere near as well as they used to even with maximum hill climb. (The Pretty Baby which used to have a braking penalty in exchange for its extreme acceleration when it first came out could climb hills that even Locusts couldn't climb as an unintended side effect, allowing me to get on top of the spires in Tourmaline Desert when not even jumpjet users could do it). I'm not sure if completely removing any forced hard brake skill nodes would help in this regard, either. So a huge advantage that helped these mechs over pretty much everything else being better than them... just isn't there anymore.

#7845 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Does target decay skill affect the targets spotted by other teammates? Specifically, I'm curious about targets I never had a personal LoS on in the first place.

Edited by DavidStarr, 04 July 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#7846 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 July 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Does target decay skill affect the targets spotted by other teammates? Specifically, I'm curious about targets I never had a personal LoS on in the first place.

As far as I know and as I have experienced, no. You have to be the one who has line of sight to the target for any of your targeting skills to work. (Though I could be wrong, but if I am, it isn't what I've been noticing in the game personally.)

#7847 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

That would make sense. That would also make the skill useless for LRM boats in many situations. Good to know, thanks.

#7848 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 July 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

That would make sense. That would also make the skill useless for LRM boats in many situations. Good to know, thanks.

Well, though I don't actually "boat" LRMs (for many reasons), I personally find it very useful on my LRM mechs. But then again I'm probably rather different from the average LRM user and personally go out of my way to get many of my own locks. Though I don't complain when an ally wishes to try and get and hold a good lock for me either... Posted Image

#7849 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Now if you don't boat, then I assume you would like to see the enemy in order to shoot him with your other weapons, so it makes perfect sense for hybrid LRM mechs to utilize this skill, seems to me.

Edited by DavidStarr, 04 July 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#7850 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 July 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

You must be the one to see them last, however they will still be available to all your teammates after they leave your sight.

This is very useful to medium range LRM boats.

Another thing you can consider is NARC. Peg an enemy with a NARC, and he is yours to rain fiery brimstone down upon.

#7851 MAD-IIC-D

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 04 July 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Does target decay skill affect the targets spotted by other teammates?

Yes it does, it doesn't matter if you never saw them directly yourself.

Edited by Teer5 Kerensky, 04 July 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#7852 Magoo

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Ok noob question ! ,

I cannot start the game because it needs patching. Any kind soul point me to where the patches are please. I seem to have clicked all over the place.

#7853 MAD-IIC-D

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostMagoo, on 04 July 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Ok noob question ! ,

I cannot start the game because it needs patching. Any kind soul point me to where the patches are please. I seem to have clicked all over the place.

The launcher/portal/steam will download the patch and install it. Maybe you've tried starting the game directly.

#7854 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostMagoo, on 04 July 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Ok noob question ! ,

click where it says patch,
"installing" just installs the portal, the portal then downloads something like 12gb of "patches" which install the game.

alternately just get it on steam, MWO on steam is lower maintenance than the regular portal

#7855 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

I spent three days of hell trying to download the PTS on MWO Portal. After it stopped once, it refused to even try to patch as the patch button wouldn't work no matter how many times I'd close it. I had to use the repair tool to get it to download the game.

Steam's version is just so much easier. Download once, you're done.
Patches automatically if a new patch comes out. (Doesn't "say" it needs to patch to download the actual game).
If a problem happens, right click MWO, choose properties, Local Files, and click "Verify Integrity." Fixes it in seconds (to minutes if it's something major) and you're off to the races.

#7856 Magoo

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thank you for the help, looks like steam is the way to go. TY

#7857 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

About the only way I'd suggest the MWO portal version is if you're using a low end computer or laptop (because you can close the portal after launching the game; Steam has to stay open unless you find a way around it. Not that steam takes up much and most players already have Steam, so why not use it? It sure as heck downloads a LOT faster, too).

#7858 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

What colors are included with the Civil War : Escalation pack as early adopter rewards? Are their names listed somewhere, or do we just look at the shade and guess? Are the colors all basic, all premium or some mix, eg two basic, one premium?

Also, for the loot bag event, can we only search through the camo spec panel to find what each color and pattern is? Are they described anywhere? Going through each group of shades seems the best way, but was hoping for a simple listing.

#7859 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostKeltan, on 04 July 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

What colors are included with the Civil War : Escalation pack as early adopter rewards? Are their names listed somewhere, or do we just look at the shade and guess? Are the colors all basic, all premium or some mix, eg two basic, one premium?

Also, for the loot bag event, can we only search through the camo spec panel to find what each color and pattern is? Are they described anywhere? Going through each group of shades seems the best way, but was hoping for a simple listing.

1. If they are new colours in the Civil War packs then they won't be listed anywhere yet since they technically don't exist yet. I don't remember if they are going to be new ones or not.
2. The short answer is yes, searching through the in game camo spec tab is (I think) the only way of seeing what you'll be getting

#7860 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 04 July 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

1. If they are new colours in the Civil War packs then they won't be listed anywhere yet since they technically don't exist yet. I don't remember if they are going to be new ones or not.
2. The short answer is yes, searching through the in game camo spec tab is (I think) the only way of seeing what you'll be getting

Ah, yes, didn't see they were new colors. Thanks very much!

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users