- - - - -

Short Question, Short Answer

10292 replies to this topic

#9421 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

How much damage per battle is okay for a medium 50-ton mech? Is 150 very bad? Is 350 somewhat good? On the average, of course...

Edited by Yoho, 09 August 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#9422 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

View PostYoho, on 09 August 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

How much damage per battle is okay for a medium 50-ton mech? Is 150 very bad? Is 350 somewhat good? On the average, of course...

150 is bad no matter what mech. Average damage per player is in the 350-ish range, and you should aim to exceed that.

#9423 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

View PostYoho, on 09 August 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

I tend to aim (as a general goal) for 5 damage per ton I invest into a match. (More is typically better.) So, for my math, I "aim" for 250 damage per match (as an average) when I am in a 50 ton mech. This gives me room for some awful matches and some spectacular matches to maintain a "good" average.

I mean, we all have low damage matches from time to time. (I know I've had some 0 damage matches a few times even!) This is why I try to look at statistics over a longer period of time, if possible.

Then again, statistics isn't everything. You should also consider if that mech/build is fun to use, and how much of an impact (preferably positive) you have had on a match with that mech/build.
I've seen games where the highest damage dealing player was a complete waste to the team in attempting to earn a win.
I've seen games where that person over there, yeah, that guy who looks like they did nothing on the score board... That guy gave the team the win and worked hard to get us all there.

This is a game. Treat it as such. It's not real life, and it isn't super important. Play it as it is intended and have fun.

#9424 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Thank you, Tesunie, Horseman!

Another question here: does Artemis really help with SRM? Is it worth the additional space and weight on this distance?

#9425 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostYoho, on 10 August 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

Thank you, Tesunie, Horseman!

Another question here: does Artemis really help with SRM? Is it worth the additional space and weight on this distance?

Depends upon the size and type of the launcher. For IS launchers, maybe. For Clan launchers, a bit more desired. For SRM6s, it's not a bad idea to take Artemis. For Clan SRM6s, it's recommended to take Artemis.

The smaller the launcher size, the less effective and more wasteful Artemis becomes. For IS SRM4s and 2s, it's just a waste. For Clan SRM2s, also a waste. For Clan SRM4s... maybe...

Seen as C-bills kinda of come and go easily enough, you can always try this out on the testing grounds (for free) or even for live combat (for C-bill cost to change it). The idea for SRMs is typically to land as much if not all of your shots into the same location. The tighter grouping granted by Artemis helps with this.

As a side note, Artemis does not provide any benefit for SSRMs, but also doesn't impact crit nor weight for them either. (AKA: If you already have Artemis on the mech and you are thinking about trying SSRMs, don't need to change it. If it doesn't have Artemis, don't worry about putting it on for SSRM designs.)

#9426 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:25 AM

View PostTesunie, on 10 August 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

The smaller the launcher size, the less effective and more wasteful Artemis becomes. For IS SRM4s and 2s, it's just a waste. For Clan SRM2s, also a waste. For Clan SRM4s... maybe...

Thanks. How do I find if SRM are Clan or IS? I see no prefix like that in the warehouse... Usually weapons are called C-something or IS-something, and this is it, right? So, I don't see it on SRM6. Does it depend on the Mech origins?

#9427 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:59 PM

View PostYoho, on 10 August 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

Thanks. How do I find if SRM are Clan or IS? I see no prefix like that in the warehouse... Usually weapons are called C-something or IS-something, and this is it, right? So, I don't see it on SRM6. Does it depend on the Mech origins?

Depends upon the mech's origin. If it is a clan mech, it will be able to take only clan tech items. If it is an IS based mech, it will only be able to place IS tech on it.

You can tell the difference between the tech bases via several ways. The easy ways are:
- If your HUD color is blue, it is a clan mech. If it is yellow/gold, it is an IS mech.
- In the shop or mechlab, IS mechs have a yellow/gold line underneath the mech picture. Clan mechs have a blue line.

The more obscure way is:
- Look at available weapons. IS mechs have access to MRMs, RACs and different PPC options besides "ERPPC". Clan mechs have exclusive options to take ATMs, all AC types weigh the same, and can only take an ERPPC specifically and Heavy Laser types.
(Some weapons may also have a C in front of them for the designation. Such as CERPPC. I am not certain if MWO did this, as I can't recall.)

#9428 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:16 PM

View PostYoho, on 10 August 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

Does it depend on the Mech origins?

Yes. There is not mixed tech in MWO, so IS weapons only go on IS mechs and Clan weapons only go on Clan mechs.

#9429 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

I read in MWO wiki that SRM have 'minimalist tracking system'. How much is that 'minimalist'? How much precise should I be when I lead a moving target with my crosshair, meaning to fire a large volley of SRM? How much of my aiming mistakes can be mitigated by this 'minimalist tracking'?

#9430 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:55 PM

In this case "minimalist" means none. They're a dumbfire weapon, period.

#9431 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:13 AM

View PostYoho, on 12 August 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

I read in MWO wiki that SRM have 'minimalist tracking system'. How much is that 'minimalist'? How much precise should I be when I lead a moving target with my crosshair, meaning to fire a large volley of SRM? How much of my aiming mistakes can be mitigated by this 'minimalist tracking'?

In BT Lore, the back story and novel series, SRMs have a slight bit of homing capability. However, lore information isn't necessarily in this game as described. (Some of this is for balance and game play. Other part can be just difficulty or different interpretation in how it can be implemented.)

As Horseman said, SRMs are a completely dumb fired weapon within the game. They are aim/lead and click and the missiles fly in the direction you've pointed them in.

#9432 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:34 PM

Is a single C-U-AC/10 enough for a mech's main weapon (taking that you have secondary)?

#9433 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

View PostYoho, on 20 August 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

Is a single C-U-AC/10 enough for a mech's main weapon (taking that you have secondary)?

Not really. 2xC-UAC10 and you're getting somewhere. Barring that, C-UAC10+6xMPL works on an EBJ (but I wouldn't really use that combination elsewhere).

#9434 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

always depends on the Mech. They're totally fine run single if your Mech is a Bloodasp B and your secondary is triple UAC5 ;-)

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 20 August 2020 - 08:27 PM.

#9435 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 20 August 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

always depends on the Mech. They're totally fine run single if your Mech is a Bloodasp B and your secondary is triple UAC5 ;-)
That... stretches the definition of "secondary" weapons by quite a bit. :P

#9436 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

I find it depends upon the mech and the intended design/weight of it. I know I have a Uziel (IS mech) with a single AC10 and two LPPCs (and twin MLs for backups). As I poptart with the mech, it's plenty and honestly is pushing the chassis a fair amount.

I think I have a few other designs with a single UAC10 (Huntsmen comes to mind) as a primary paired with stacks of lasers to compliment it. Notice these designs are light weight.

Most people take UAC10s in heavys and/or assault mechs, which often pair them up. I find them more effective when paired together, but sometimes you just can't get two of them in a mech...

#9437 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:23 AM

How much ammo is 'enough' for 2xRAC5? (with no skill nodes)

#9438 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:30 AM

Depends. With backup weaponry 4t, without 5t should be sufficient.

#9439 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

yes, dunno,

#9440 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

View PostBuckleUp, on 20 September 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

Ah! I hadn't realized you could get it in FP matches. That does seem a lot more reasonable. Hhhmm, maybe I should play more FP... Posted Image

Thanks for the vid!

I am sorry to disappoint you, but you can not get those achievements in the Faction Play or in Private Matches.

You must earn them in the Quick Play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users