#461 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostNryrony, on 09 December 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

However, aside from ghost heat, we might require a different kind of limitation for the maximum number of ppcs on a mech.

We don't need Ghost Heat - It shouldn't have been made at all.

According to heat values... i found a good comparison:
the AWS-8Q and the AWS-9Q both overheat in the same way when they alpha strike in TT.

So 19 DHS vs 4 PPC should work like 28 SHS vs 3 PPCs -> you shouldn't even need a second glance to the current heat system to know that they won't work equally. The heat capacity of 19 DHS is 4.6 points better the dissipation only 0.46 heat in 10seconds. The only former advantage of the 4PPC build was to alpha strike 2 -3 (reduced PPC heat) times till shutdown.

Have made a quick model.... (but made to mistake not to save the Excel)

Was multiple steps:
  • reduce RoF by 50% (6 seconds between the reload of a PPC)
  • increase heat by 100% per shot (20 heat for each PPC)
  • different approach to heat sinks / capacity and dissipation
    • kick the 30 bonus heat scale
    • SHS dissipate 2 heat per 10 second frame and add 3 to an internal capacity
    • DHS dissipate 6 heat per 10 second frame and add 2 to an internal capacity
If my former calculation is right: both Mechs overheat after they fired 9 PPCs
The Awesome 8Q with wooping 84 capacity is capable of Alpha Striking - all 3 PPCs at once - but you need to wait 7 seconds to deliver the second 30 point alpha without overheating....the third however will overheat you mech when given after 7-10seconds after the second.
Alternative you can fire a single PPC each 2seconds.

The 19DHS Awesome is not able to fire even 2 PPCs in the same moment without shutdown because its internal capacity is only 38 while 40 are needed. But on the other hand you can fire every 1.5second a PPC resulting - however after the 9th shot your Mech shuts down - but (you have dealt the same amount of damage of the 3 PPC Awesome but at much higher rate)

While I was working at the cross check with ballistics - the electricity was gone.... so no graphs and no better values

#462 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

I will say it again.
10 seconds was for both team to do everything in a "turn"!
That included vent heat
Me
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
Enemy
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
10 seconds

What we have is
Move (constant)
fire fire fire
10 seconds to vent!

What bothers me is that a group of people thought this was perfectly fine! :)

It would still be on the drawing board if I had been in that meeting! :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 09 December 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#463 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 December 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

I will say it again.
That included vent heat
Me
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
Enemy
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
10 seconds

What we have is
Move (constant)
fire fire fire
10 seconds to vent!

What bothers me is that a group of people thought this was perfectly fine! :)

It would still be on the drawing board if I had been in that meeting! :P

While we may not agree on much, PGI's failure to understand that increasing mechs heat capacity is not a good solution for low dissipation, has lead us to the terrible balance we have today.

#464 Commissar Aku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Everyone always forgets the one thing that makes erppcs op, no minimum range and they cancel ecm.

#465 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Same heat as the table top game. Extra measure to keep people from boating just PPC. Right now a 6 PPC Stalker generates 60 heat witch is impossible to soak.

6 ER PPC generate 90 heat.

With double heat sinks set at 1.4 you cant even boat 3 ER PPC or 3 PPC.

So its well balanced no more blowing up a mech with one mass shot doing 60 damage.

No changes need to be made I've told you in other posts that your little PPC heat discount was going away so you should have changed your builds to compensate for the new heat scale.

Your creating a post so you can unbalance the game and start power gaming again. Not going to happen.

#466 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't understand "X needs to be buffed because it's too hot/heavy to run more than 2" when X is a top tier damage weapon. Yes, I know, that's the point.

#467 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I think they also took alpha damage and range into account. While the AC2 is rad, it's hard to get 10 shots on the same component from range on a moving mech. The Gauss is the closes thing to the alpha of 2 ERPPC, but has its own drawbacks. I do agree with you that the heat is a little excessive, though.

#468 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostXPH Aku, on 09 December 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Everyone always forgets the one thing that makes erppcs op, no minimum range and they cancel ecm.

Nonsense. they do not cancel ECM, they merely disable it for 4 seconds, not nearly enough time for locking and firing missiles. And as far as no minimum range, neither do ballistics. If you read the OP, then you know that you need enough DHS for 2 ERPPCs that it exceeds the weight of 2 AC10's, which would have the same damage every 2.5 secs for 6 heat. 5 engine external DHS per ERPPC, makes it 18 crits and 12 tons per, for a total of .24tons and 36 crits. Add to that the 4.0 sec cooldown, and it is still by far less viable than running dual AC10's.

I would suggest reading http://mwomercs.com/...-was-excessive/, granted, it uses dual AC5's vs Dual ERPPCs in this example, but doing 10 damage pinpoint every 1.5 seconds for 2 heat means you are going to be shooting long after the ERPPC mech overheats.

Edited by Lupus Aurelius, 10 December 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#469 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 09 December 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

So its well balanced no more blowing up a mech with one mass shot doing 60 damage.

No changes need to be made I've told you in other posts that your little PPC heat discount was going away so you should have changed your builds to compensate for the new heat scale.

You miss a point... I can play grinch its not prohibited - oh yes I day after that shot - but hey i have ruined someones day, too.

This guy was one of the first that did mount 6 PPCs on a Stalker as soon as this Mech was available.... it was inferior to this time - but you know what PGI did - they reduced heat for the PPCs with that monster allready ingame.

However we are talking about ER-PPCs not PPCs.
The minimum range is often an argument - but its not valid: most Mechs that are able to have 2 PPCs could also have an impressive array for ranges below 90m - and when you have an impressive array below 90m you can allready switch to ER-PPCs so only the range increase is of concern.
Did you know that the range increase of the ER-PPC over the PPC is equal to the ER-Large Laser over the Large Laser?
But one got 50% more damage at range for 50% more heat, the other 50% more damage for 20% heat?

Balanced?

#470 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

A rational heat scale need to be introduced to the game Instead of the slap job we currently have. Most of the game's balance issuses can be traced directly to the heat scale

#471 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostSniperCon, on 09 December 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I don't understand "X needs to be buffed because it's too hot/heavy to run more than 2" when X is a top tier damage weapon. Yes, I know, that's the point.

Top tier damage weapon?!?!?! Does 10 damage. Gauss does 15, AC10 does 10, ERLL and LL so 9 apiece. But it does 10 damage every 4 seconds for 15 heat, AC10 does 10 for every 2.5 sec for 3 heat, Gauss does 4 seconds also but for 0 heat.

Just going by the damage rating, and not recycle times and heat generation, never mind it's functionability in a build, and calling something "top tier" makes no sense, nor does it add any value to the discussion.

#472 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 11 December 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Top tier damage weapon?!?!?! Does 10 damage. Gauss does 15, AC10 does 10, ERLL and LL so 9 apiece. But it does 10 damage every 4 seconds for 15 heat, AC10 does 10 for every 2.5 sec for 3 heat, Gauss does 4 seconds also but for 0 heat.

Just going by the damage rating, and not recycle times and heat generation, never mind it's functionability in a build, and calling something "top tier" makes no sense, nor does it add any value to the discussion.

More damage ... ... Less damage
AC20 Gauss AC10 AC5 AC2 MG
LRM20 LRM15 LRM10 LRM5
SRM6 SRM4 SSRM2 SRM2
LPL PPC LL MPL ML SPL SL Flamer
Less mounts ... ... More mounts

I'm not saying ERPPCs are the best weapon in the game. I'm saying that it is completely reasonable to NOT be able to mount more than 2 (effectively).

Edited by SniperCon, 12 December 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#473 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 06 October 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Not really into DPxS comparisons. Not doubting your data or assessment of that data, just thinking I'd rather do 80 points in 12 seconds, broken into 4 20pt pinpoint strikes than however-many 4 pt strikes a pair of AC2s will deliver over that same amount of time (you're better with numbers than me... I couldn't find that information, and I think it's far more interesting).

It is feasible to believe a PPC gunner could deliver those four pp strikes in 12 seconds, what's more deliver them all to the CT. I don't think there are Mech-drivers out there dumb enough to let you dump AC2 rounds into them for 12 seconds straight, and even if there were, I doubt there are many AC2 gunners out there who could put every round into the CT.

For all that heat, a pair of ERPPCs will have plenty of time to cool down after those four shots, since they will have probably cored-out whatever they were aiming at.

Gauss has that additional delay mechanism to consider, so there are skill considerations that don't really factor into your math, do they?

So yes. The numbers do lie, or at least paint an incomplete picture. Especially anytime someone throws DPxS into the equation. It makes for great arguments on paper, but doesn't take any battlefield variables into account.

I'm sorry you don't get to spam ERPPC bolts anymore. The game sucked when you could.

What genius are you? I've hit plenty of mechs with 4 ERPPC bolts and never cored one yet. Sheesh. Get a clue.

#474 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

My thanks to all that contributed to achieving 100 "likes" on the OP!

View PostSniperCon, on 12 December 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I'm not saying ERPPCs are the best weapon in the game. I'm saying that it is completely reasonable to NOT be able to mount more than 2 (effectively).

Nor am I saying they should. What the OP demonstrates, however, is that even 1 is hot, and running 2 is too hot. Compared to ballistics, for a non ballistic mech to run 2 ERPPCs puts them at a severe disadvantage as far as sustainability, whereas a ballistic capable mech can keep on pumping with little or no fear of shuting down.

If you had read the OP, you should have seen the last paragraph:

"In no way am I advocating that ERPPCs should be heat neutral or near heat neutral. ERPPC heat needs to be lowered back down to 12, or possibly 13, and the ghost heat penalty needs to be increased for ERPPCs used beyond 2 volley fired, to prevent excessive boating. The other option, however, is that the AC10, AC5/UAC5, and Gauss be brought more in line with the current profile for the AC2. This would “balance” out these systems."

Edited by Lupus Aurelius, 12 December 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#475 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 December 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

I will say it again.
That included vent heat
Me
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
Enemy
Move
Fire
Physical
Vent
10 seconds

What we have is
Move (constant)
fire fire fire
10 seconds to vent!

What bothers me is that a group of people thought this was perfectly fine! :ph34r:

It would still be on the drawing board if I had been in that meeting! :wacko:

There's nothing wrong with this. Moving from a TT game to a FPS game this was what needed to happen.

The problem is that it just wasn't done very well.

In the TT game there was rigid balance. Energy weapons were powerful but restrictive. ACs were less powerful but unrestrictive (long range, work at short range, non-heat restrictive). Turn-based warfare also made lots of ammo senseless because the game never went for enough turns to use all that much.

In MWO? We see a turnaround. ACs are clearly the best weapons on offer despite their weight and critical restrictions. The ability to fire continually makes large amounts of ammo sensible. This means that "backup weapons" like Medium Lasers etc are no longer there to create heat problems for ballistic heavy mechs. One ton of ammo is a far better choice because you no longer have the turn-based gameplay to provide a logical upper limit to the amount of ammo you can use.

We see the same exponential growth in the viability of all ammo-using weapons. Exponential growth in the viability of energy weapons is undesirable because of light mechs and pinpoint. So we actually see a degradation every time Energy weapons get powerful. Beam durations instead of pinpoint, heat shuffling maneuvers clearly designed to hit energy weapons harder than ballistics, etc.

Why do I say that? Well:

There's the whole pinpoint Vs over time Vs spread damage (srms, MGs, LRMs) debate. It's been done to death so I doubt I need to explain it. A change that favoured ACs.

Then there's DHS. When they increased armour, they increased AC ammo amounts. I don't have a problem with that in isolation. However, then they added Double Heat Sinks they chose to go with 1.4x on all non-engine heatsinks. Firstly this favoured ACs because all the heatsinks you need are pretty much on the engine. It effectively closed the gap between ballistics and energy weapons on "critical slots". Secondly, it created a disparity between ballistics and energy because Enegry Weapons effectively had their ammo reduced by this move when ACs got an increase.

Then there's Ghost Heat.

Now.

1 ER Large Laser = 5 tons. This is significant. Energy weapons are lighter than their ammo-using counterparts for lower DPS. An AC5 weighs an extra 3 tons BUT gets a DPS increase of 1.21 to compensate. 8 tons of Large Laser is worth 3.39 DPS where the AC5 is 3.33.

So it's actually pretty close. 2 AC5's is worth about 3 Large Lasers. In DPS AND tonnage (once you consider the ammo/hs needed to power each it's about right). One combination will overheat you, the other will run out of ammo eventually.

Until you add friggin Ghost Heat. The pair of AC5's can fire continuously and not overheat with a 250 motor and DHS. Easily.

The question is what happens here? The Energy mech now has to pop in and out of cover to control their heat while the AC mech can just keep piling it in. The problem with this is that the mech popping in and out of cover is ALWAYS the one that takes the most damage when both are piloted by skilled players.

So Ghost heat now creates a serious disparity between 2 previously "fairly even" setups. Not on paper, in the game. In the game is where it counts.

Ghost heat isn't a "bad idea", it's actually a rather clever one. But it's poorly implemented. It's all very arbitrary and rushed and based entirely on an "on paper" theory that disintegrates as soon as it hits combat.

Now. Thaoretically I can drop one of my ER Large Lasers and take a PPC to avoid ghost heat. The resulting heat is as close to the same with a slight increase in DPS. BUT I have to find 2 tons and a critical slot to do that. Move down in weapons? It's an energy hardpoint. The next step down is the medium pulse laser for 2 tons or a medium for 1 ton. 3-4 tons extra and no hardpoints to fill. Sigh.

So I'm left trying to find more ways to get rid of heat. So, I move to an XL engine which saves me tons AND allows more heat sinks to be hidden on the motor. So not only do I have to have a mech that can't keep up in the damage stakes, I also have to take a mech that is, by default, much more fragile through the XL engine. DHS aren't enough because in their infinite wisdom they made DHS 1.4x meaning engine heat sinks are more valuable AND they allow me to have an extra heat sink of 2 through weight or through criticals through shoving it on the engine.

On the huge mechs where you can actually afford to be putting in a STD 320 where you can hide 2 HS on the engine? That's great. Smaller mechs? Nope. XL or be able to barely cool yourself in Terra Therma or Caustic.

It's become patently clear that the devs are either incapable of considering cause and effect or simply lack the time to do so in the development process.

So time after time after time we see where shifts have simply pounded energy weapons into the ground. THAT is why ERPPCs are too hot. Because the devs took step after step which eventually made it necessary. The simple fact is that the PPC was only ever so prolific because of pinpoint damage. Every other energy weapon, pound for pound, has a higher DPS.

PPC/ERPPC DPS = 2.5
7 tons of large laser/ER large laser = 2.968 DPS.
7 tons of Large Pulse = 2.75 DPS.
7 tons of Medium Pulse = 5.84 DPS.
7 tons of Medium Laser = 8.75 DPS.

And so on.

Players did not make 5 PPC stalkers. Devs made 5 PPC stalkers. They slowly but surely drove players to it. Just like they've driven everything to the "new meta" of 2 AC 2 PPC pop tarts. Because PPCS, ER or otherwise, WERE NEVER THE ISSUE. They had problems and needed change, I always thought they were OP, but it never should have been as severe as it was and it never should have been expected to fix any game problems to begin with.

The sooner the devs stop reacting to symptoms and start fixing the underlying problems the better off we will all be.

Edited by Greyboots, 12 December 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#476 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostGreyboots, on 12 December 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

snip

i think its pretty obvious to everyone at this point that the normal PPC and various AC combos basically negates the ghost heat system while the ammo limitation is negligable.

The bigger question is how to tune the game from here and there are many factors involved that need addressing that contribute to the current meta such as

tonnage limits, ammo considerations, lack of ghost heat on various combos that negate the entire point of ghost heat, lack of gamemodes that force teams to move around the battlefield rather than finding a line and defending it, and lack of AI vehicles and other factors in the battle than mechs (such as in war thunder)

then there is the glaring ommision of DFA, collisions and proper btech jumpjets which are major contributing factors to the current meta. if we actually had proper btech jumpjets we wouldnt have anywhere near this problem we have right now with jmupsnipe pinpoint endgame meta.

all of these factors contribute to encouraging the endgame meta we are seeing. Some of us have seen this coming for years.

The real question is when will this be fixed.

#477 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 12 December 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

My thanks to all that contributed to achieving 100 "likes" on the OP!

Nor am I saying they should. What the OP demonstrates, however, is that even 1 is hot, and running 2 is too hot. Compared to ballistics, for a non ballistic mech to run 2 ERPPCs puts them at a severe disadvantage as far as sustainability, whereas a ballistic capable mech can keep on pumping with little or no fear of shuting down.

If you had read the OP, you should have seen the last paragraph:

"In no way am I advocating that ERPPCs should be heat neutral or near heat neutral. ERPPC heat needs to be lowered back down to 12, or possibly 13, and the ghost heat penalty needs to be increased for ERPPCs used beyond 2 volley fired, to prevent excessive boating. The other option, however, is that the AC10, AC5/UAC5, and Gauss be brought more in line with the current profile for the AC2. This would “balance” out these systems."

I don't agree. I don't want a weapon system that can shoot all day with no kind of drawback. All ballistic boats at some point run out of ammo. I've seen it lots of times. Heat to 12 or possibly 13 is out in my book. I run 2 ER PPCs in my TDR-5SE along with 4 medium lasers. They are for two different roles. Snipe with the arm and brawl with the torso. I have the ER PPCs set to chain fire in brawl range so that way if I need to get a quick hit in and have the ehat I can shoot them one at a time. I don't want people out there wanting to alpha strike 4 ER PPCs all match with no sort of a drawback. You mentioned increasing ghost heat for anything past 2, still no. I can still fire them 2+2 and avoid that ghost heat all day with 12 heat ER PPCs.

#478 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Also, before we continue on, let's take the AC/10 for instance. Say I have a mech with one on it. Sure I can put on 1 ton of ammo for 30 shots. So I have a weapon system that weighs 13 tons. You know what, sometimes when people don't want to move on the larger maps, I have to take shots at less than optimal range to try to help damage the enemy so my sniper teammates or LRM boats can try to knock them out. Then I run out of ammo quicker so then I have to carry an extra ton of ammo to get 60 shots out of it. Now I am up to 14 tons for the weapon. Ok the trade off is that DHS take 3 slots and you can't ideally put 7 of them for 21 slots for 1 ER PPC, but at least you can shoot till they bury you.

#479 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostGreyboots, on 12 December 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Players did not make 5 PPC stalkers. Devs made 5 PPC stalkers. They slowly but surely drove players to it. Just like they've driven everything to the "new meta" of 2 AC 2 PPC pop tarts. Because PPCS, ER or otherwise, WERE NEVER THE ISSUE. They had problems and needed change, I always thought they were OP, but it never should have been as severe as it was and it never should have been expected to fix any game problems to begin with.

The sooner the devs stop reacting to symptoms and start fixing the underlying problems the better off we will all be.
I have not seen a DEV in a 5 PPC Stalker... I have seen a Clan 2nd line Mech the Supernova, that is what I think was being emulated with the Stalker. It is a Clan Mech that can throw 60 damage at us but with Lasers instead of PPC, So I wonder how that would have affected the Cries to take them away. I have noticed that the Mechs complained about most have emulated a Clan Canon Build of one type or another, they were weaker than their Clan original and we had tons of outrage, while I was getting my nose bloodied learning how to fight em. And doing a good job at it. All that ever needed fixed was convergence.

#480 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

You are right Joeseph. Convergence is what makes all these high alpha builds work. If every shot hit different locations it wouldn't be an issue. Instead, people would complain about not being able to do it and the devs would release a module that helped and if Pinpoint worked in the Elite tree.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users