- - - - -

Ac5 Vs Uac5

45 replies to this topic

#1 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Is the only difference between these two weapons 100 meters of maximum range? Is there even a reason to use the UAC5 over the AC5? I thought the UAC5 at least did more damage, but apparently not.

#2 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

The UAC5 can fire twice as fast as the AC5 but there is a random chance of jamming.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

UAC5 can double fire, firing a second shot half-way into the cool down, at the cost of possibly (20% of the time) jamming.

So, the UAC5 does better burst damage, but isn't as reliable.

Honestly, the UAC5 is usually better, but only if you can afford the tonnage/crit cost.

#4 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Okay, I didn't get this from Smurfy's spreadsheet and must have missed it. No wonder the Highlander 733c is so good.Thanks!

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostArchon, on 08 October 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Okay, I didn't get this from Smurfy's spreadsheet and must have missed it. No wonder the Highlander 733c is so good.Thanks!

On Smurfy, put a mouse over the "i". I have it demonstrated here.

Posted Image

That time, however, is variable. Sometimes it can be shorter, sometimes a LOT longer (if holding the button, as it 'rejams' during the jam).

Edited by Koniving, 08 October 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

You should use AC5 if your battle lasts more than 6 seconds. If it lasts only 6, the UAC5 is superior.

#7 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks guys. So rather than holding down to fire my UAC5, does spam clicking help?

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

It does. A spam click once every 0.75 seconds or 3/4th of a second is pretty good for keeping your jam possibility at its bare minimum while still firing. Once every second and a half to never jam (but then you're firing at exactly the same rate as an AC/5.

#9 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks. I actually run 2 UAC5s on my Atlas DDC and my Highlander 733C. Would I have better DPS by spam clicking the two grouped together, or would I have better DPS chain firing them?

#10 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 October 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

It does. A spam click once every 0.75 seconds or 3/4th of a second is pretty good for keeping your jam possibility at its bare minimum while still firing. Once every second and a half to never jam (but then you're firing at exactly the same rate as an AC/5.

Very true, and fantastic if you can keep a cool head.

OP, recently the jam rate was modified on UAC5's (maybe?). Prior to this they were very clearly superior to AC5's, but now, are probably on par.

I think the viability of the system also depends on the number of said weapons you are carrying. (IMHO) if you've got more than 1 UAC5, you can usually rely on at least one of them being up at any given time, unless you constantly hold the fire button down.

If it's a single weapon system, I prefer an AC5, as it's more reliable. If you're carrying multiples, I prefer UAC's, as the jamming is easier to manage, and every now and again you'll get a huge burst of glorious carnage where your guns are on song, double firing and sending a torrent of Atlas shredding ordnance downrange. Or they could both jam, leaving you staring impotently at your doom. I love the randomness.

Also, mix and matching! Both weapons have the same muzzle velocity, and having a vanilla AC5 and an Ultra version is a good mix of steady DPS and random awesomeness, though you'll have to carry 2 types of ammo.

#11 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

Based on the 20% jam rate your burst damage over the first few seconds would be higher that an AC5. During longer engagements the damage the jamming rate evens out to an AC5 (ever so slightly higher actually).

This thread was generated when the UAC5 was overbuffed to 15% jam. It includes lots of math and graphs to show that 22% jam rate would be UAC5 = AC5.

http://mwomercs.com/...amage-analysis/

At the bottom of the OP it also is updated for the UAC5 20% jam rate.

Edited by scJazz, 09 October 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#12 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostArchon, on 08 October 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Thanks. I actually run 2 UAC5s on my Atlas DDC and my Highlander 733C. Would I have better DPS by spam clicking the two grouped together, or would I have better DPS chain firing them?

You don't need to spam click anything, just hold down the fire button for double fire rate, and really, there is no advantage to chain firing. You might want to wait between shots at range since you are more likely to miss (depends on range and size of the target) for closer ranges always double fire, more often than not it will be to your advantage.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostArchon, on 08 October 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Just keep them in one group and always double shot when you can.

Even with the jam chance, the significant increase in damage you can get with the double shot is always worth it, as long as you are positive that extra shot will land on target.

Edited by Roughneck45, 09 October 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#14 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

dps is higher because you can get two shot out alot faster.

takes some times to get use to but its a very good weapon once you get the hang of it.

#15 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I finally did some "testing" with dual UAC5s and here is what I discovered. The UAC will never jam until the mech you are shooting at shuts down from overheating. Then both UACs will jam and stay jammed until your target recovers and blows your CT out.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. B)

#16 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostArchon, on 08 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Is the only difference between these two weapons 100 meters of maximum range? Is there even a reason to use the UAC5 over the AC5? I thought the UAC5 at least did more damage, but apparently not.

Ultra ACs are good for alpha damage because their rate of fire is much faster. The drawback is jamming (and a delay while it unjams itself).

For sustained fire and reliability, AC/5 is better. For Alpha and burst damage, Ultra AC/5 is better.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 22 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#17 Rino88ex

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationnow on Italy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

I think the jamming UAC5 often. especially in moments of action and need, what your higher power, useless (as in the 5 seconds that you do not shoot, you die).

amming of rate UAC5 should be reduced to 10% - 15% and down to 3 seconds and the time unjamming.

Edited by Rino88ex, 14 January 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

The UAC5 is a burst weapon. You aim, you fire 2-4 salvos, you turn/run away. The pairing with other burst weapons (i.e. PPCs) is good for a reason.

The AC5 is a sustained long-range fire weapon. You get just enough time to aim with each salvo, and no jams. You can pair it with long range weapons for constant, high-DPS suppression.

#19 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I believe the un-jam time is 5 seconds, something to keep in mind when you are doing the mental math to determine if a UAC is better.

For me, I always went AC/5, but that was mostly a nostalgia thing. I'm old school BT, before things like the UACs. But when I got my Shadow Hawks, I decided to keep their layout similar to the original, which meant AC/5, LRM5, SRM2 and Mlas. With this, the AC/5 didn't feel like it had enough punch - the reload time just felt like forever. I decided to go ahead and plug in the UAC, and I absolutely love it. That double tap can be almost instantaneous, which means that I can put two shots down range in close succession and have them both on target. The jamming is really annoying, but in the Hawk I still have the LRM5 to pepper people with, and I have the speed to get behind cover while the thing unjams.

#20 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

all alone on one leg with 2xuac5 in one arm you can hold down a choke point against three enemy if you can controll your fire, its the ultimate suppressor ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users