Ac5 Vs Uac5

45 replies to this topic

#21 OldCowboy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

did a rate of fire test, put a uac5 and an ac5 on my atlas with 3 tons of ammo each, by the time the uac ammo hit 0 i had 10 round left for the ac5. Obviously if the gun never jammed it would throw out double the ammunition, but over time it seems to be about 10% higher dps. which is probably a fair improvement for the tonnage differance. So long as you dont pull your hair out whenever your guns are jammed.

Thats just one test though. Made me reconsider running 2 uac5's and maybe switching one out for an ac5. the BAM BAM is really sweet, but more often than not one of them is jammed and more than you would like, both get jammed.

#22 Rabid Monkey

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

UAC5's just take a little getting used too. They're fantastic once you get the hang of them. I run 2 on my K2 (with 4 ML's as backup for when they both jam!), and I have a 4 UAC5 Jagger build that chews up mechs like nothing...when my buddy runs his alongside mine, anything in front of us is pretty much dead. Also, they're great for low-heat builds.

#23 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

UAC/5's are good for when you need to get a quick burst of extra firepower out -right now-, but the cost is that gun can proceed to choke out and leave you needing firepower.

Used for hit-and-run burst fire, it's aces. For suppressive fire, I prefer AC/5's as they won't jam. If I need something that'll slash up a target fast and then hide/ridgehump/poptart, UAC/5 all the way as cover can give you a breather to clear the gun from a jammed shell.

#24 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

4 ac5 is better than 3 uac5

#25 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 31 January 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

depends on the situation.

#26 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Always go UAC if you can, but it's just not practical on some designs. Burst damage > DPS damage any day.

Typical AC/5s is all you can do sometimes though, and are pretty solid.

Edited by Victor Morson, 02 February 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#27 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 31 January 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

You cannot carry as much ammo.

#28 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 February 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Always go UAC if you can, but it's just not practical on some designs. Burst damage > DPS damage any day.

Typical AC/5s is all you can do sometimes though, and are pretty solid.

Also I found that firing the UAC-5 distracted me more than firing AC5. What I mean is that if you are a noob like me and you are in situations where you can keep firing, having 1.5s between one shot and another could help you in keeping track of the situation and positioning of allies and enemies and in better aiming at your target than when you are double-tapping the UAC-5 expecially if you are not used to them.

TL;DR: the UAC5 may require more time to get used to because of strange reasons.

Edited by mikelovskij, 02 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#29 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostRino88ex, on 14 January 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

amming of rate UAC5 should be reduced to 10% - 15% and down to 3 seconds and the time unjamming.
It was 15% for 2 weeks, during a time period best described as UAC5ageddon. I recall putting up many 600 damage games in under 2 minutes during those weeks.

#30 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostBront, on 02 February 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

It was 15% for 2 weeks, during a time period best described as UAC5ageddon. I recall putting up many 600 damage games in under 2 minutes during those weeks.

The recycle rate was also better back then. The new recycle mechanic changed the feel of the weapon more than the increased jamming rate.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

*Randomly takes this space for a video he's uploading where he had a UAC/5 + AC/5 + AC/10 (or was it LB-10x) Jager that is being readied to upload.*

(When there's a picture, it's ready. Seriously considering what Jagers are supposed to be... these things seem obscene.)

With 'em used simultaneously, judge for yourself.

Edited by Koniving, 02 February 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#32 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

I take UAC's over AC's when possible. Use both the dual ppc and dual ac5 as well as the dual ppc and dual uac5's and the latter always outperforms the former.

#33 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postmikelovskij, on 02 February 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Also I found that firing the UAC-5 distracted me more than firing AC5. What I mean is that if you are a noob like me and you are in situations where you can keep firing, having 1.5s between one shot and another could help you in keeping track of the situation and positioning of allies and enemies and in better aiming at your target than when you are double-tapping the UAC-5 expecially if you are not used to them.

TL;DR: the UAC5 may require more time to get used to because of strange reasons.

The trick with UACs is to not try to (though it's possible) use them as DPS weapons - stepping out and pouring fire until they jam. This is a good way to get killed as pretty much all DPS weapons require you on-target someone straight-ahead without moving; while this can work if you're ignored, it's brutal the second you're not.

You should generally have 2 of them, at least, if you use them; that way you're still outputting decent damage if one jams. But you want to expose yourself for a couple seconds, burst fire 2-4 shots, and then get back to cover / evasives. Sometimes you can pour it on if the situation plays out just right, but in a heated fight, you need to stick to this.

Basically it's not a "stand around and shoot" weapon like the AC/2; it's a "Step out, burst fire, step back" kind of gun. The AC/5 is arguably the same way, where you want to fire just 2 quick shots in the range game, but it's unjammable DPS can pay off in some fights.

Really the only reason you'd want an AC/5 over a UAC/5 is if you can't fit the UAC/5 - i.e. 2 AC/5 Shadow Hawks are very solid. I'd run 2 UAC/5 if I could, but it won't fit, so it's quite acceptable like that.

#34 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 February 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

The trick with UACs is to not try to (though it's possible) use them as DPS weapons - stepping out and pouring fire until they jam. This is a good way to get killed as pretty much all DPS weapons require you on-target someone straight-ahead without moving; while this can work if you're ignored, it's brutal the second you're not.

Stationary guns/gunners...yummy! Food for my jump snipe builds. :)

#35 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostSnowcrow, on 02 February 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

depends on the situation.

mmm, no, it dont.

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 02 February 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

You cannot carry as much ammo.

over 300 rounds in my 4X.

#36 Rino88ex

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationnow on Italy

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

View Postwanderer, on 31 January 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

UAC/5's are good for when you need to get a quick burst of extra firepower out -right now-, but the cost is that gun can proceed to choke out and leave you needing firepower.

what you say is correct, but the problem is that if the UAC5 jams on the first or second or third shot, the rapid fire o the quick burst of extra firepower will not help anything.

the UAC5 should jams after a continuous series of shottings, and not randomly.

Or otherwise, must be reduced to 3 seconds time to unjammin

#37 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

I definitely prefer the UACs, but wouldn't want to be in a situation without good close range weapons just in case that UAC jams. At long range you can always hide until they unjam, but up close and personal you don't really have any way to retreat.

#38 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 02 February 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

I definitely prefer the UACs, but wouldn't want to be in a situation without good close range weapons just in case that UAC jams. At long range you can always hide until they unjam, but up close and personal you don't really have any way to retreat.

This is where my CTF-4x with 4xAC/5s shines. Once the match winds down to spin 'n slug, up close fighting... those 4 AC5s churning out a steady stream of damage with every chain shot, or massive 20 pts of damage when group-shot, really start dropping beat up mechs, fast.

#39 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 02 February 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

over 300 rounds in my 4X.

I think the point is that 3 UACs are 5 tons lighter than 4 AC5s, so you could theoretically apply some of that weight to ammo.

View PostMott, on 03 February 2014 - 05:15 AM, said:

This is where my CTF-4x with 4xAC/5s shines. Once the match winds down to spin 'n slug, up close fighting... those 4 AC5s churning out a steady stream of damage with every chain shot, or massive 20 pts of damage when group-shot, really start dropping beat up mechs, fast.

But I'd think that with 4 of them, if one of your UAC jams you still have three others churning out shells, with results that are just as lethal. Although I guess if all 4 jam, you short on luck...

#40 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 03 February 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

But I'd think that with 4 of them, if one of your UAC jams you still have three others churning out shells, with results that are just as lethal. Although I guess if all 4 jam, you short on luck...

The distraction of counting out my trigger pulls to avoid jams - for me - is just too unwelcome. I need to be able to pull the trigger and just know it's going to work.

As a real firearm owner, a gun that jams regularly is simply nothing more than scrap metal. Garbage. There's no way a Mech pilot, whose life is on the line, would ever rely on one.

I've had the UAC/5 jam on me the first trigger pull of a match TWICE in my short time playing. That is an unacceptable weapon characteristic, imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users