First Battletech/Mechwarrior computer game, experiences...

96 replies to this topic

#81 Darksheer66

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

going to reallly date myself here I have the original battledroids box set that came out in limited numbers before lucas went after them

I have all the manuals and the pc games but my battle tech pride and joy is a Gold master of mechwarrior 4 Vegance from MS game studio's i was sent when i worked at a game magazine thats still sitting safe and sound in a cd case with the mechwarrior 4 T-shirt

plus about 40 minatures and suits

and 4 large scale plastic models

#82 corian

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

All of the above, starting with Mechwarrior 2. I put so, so many hours into that. I wish now I could go back and play it again after reading a lot of the books and actually understanding what's going on.

I bought the board game starter kit and tried to figure it out but my only possible opponent was my brother and he wasn't really interested. The tactical possibilities for that game are endless, I can see why it was so popular. I would just love to have some people to teach me it and play epic battles with.

#83 Vortigern

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

MW2: Mercenaries. Such greatness, if only I could get it working proper on my computer.

Prior to that, I had played MW2 for Sega Saturn.

#84 EGL

• PipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGRF-3M Cockpit

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Crescent Hawks Revenge at the age of like 8 :)

=EGL= <HoS>

#85 Qin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

I remember getting the Crescent Hawks Inception for X-mas. In the box was a flyer that gave me the idea that it was part of something bigger. No internet in those days :-)

I still got the LAM mini figure that you could order with a voucher in the box.

Missed out on Mechwarrior 1, but MW2 and the rest hooked me fully, and after the local game stores begane to have BT stuff on stock, and able to order i was hooked.

Edited by Qin, 02 November 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#86 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

I remember getting out of college and picking up Mechwarrior 2 during my downtime of looking for a job. I don't even remember what the pc was ... I think a Pentium 90 MHz. I just remember my jaw dropping when I saw the intro scene when the game started up. Hooked! :)

#87 DamoclesGuard

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationStillwater, Oklahoma

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

My first ever Battletech experience was the Battletech game on Sega Genesis.

Where you piloted a clan Timber Wolf. and if you took to much damage you Overheated and exploded.

Don't remember how old I was, before my preteens though.

I started the TT game at 13, my first book was the TRO 3050.

I started playing MW3 the day it came out.

#88 stormwatch

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

MechWarrior 2 came bundled with my first computer, a PowerMac 6500. I used to play it with a flight stick controller, that made it feel a lot more realistic.

Well, come to think about it, I had played that Battletech game on the Mega Drive, and thought it was terrible. It was like Desert Strike with robots, which doesn't sound bad, but the control scheme was a complete mess that made it a pain to play.

Edited by stormwatch, 02 November 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#89 anthony nevers

Rookie

• The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

View Postgrim jim, on 31 October 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Started with "Crescent Hawks Inception". That **** maze... /shakefist

Same, started with that game...hated that Star League maze...

#90 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

Started out playing the table-top version in high-school. First PC game was Crescent Hawk's Inception on my Amiga, although I played the original Mechwarrior a few times on a buddy's PC before that.

#91 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

View Posthelmer, on 31 October 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

At 36 it sounds like I'm nearing the other end of the scale than most so far......

Cresent Hawks Inception was the first Computer game, and I think I've played everything since then. Even "met" Michael Stackpole when he played in the GEnie network. Went by the rank Loremaster due to devouring every bit of info. It's been a long time, and I have forgotten more than I retained, but I remember how fun it was! The Battletech IP , story and lore is perfect for a persistant, online video game.

Yeah you and me both mate. Cant believe I'm 37 now! Still feel like a kid though. :)

Was about 16 when I also started with Crescent Hawks Inception. Gave me some insight into the Battletech universe, before some guys at school introduced me and one of my best mates to the board game. They ran a basic role-play scenario where you could start with some C-Bills and choose a light mech. I think we could choose between a Locust, Stinger, Wasp, Commando and an Urban Mech.

I chose the Commando and my mate chose the Urban due to the AC-10 firepower. I tell you in our first battle I made a critical hit on his gyro and can still remember his mech flailing around on the ground unable to get up! (imagination worked better in those days).

Then came Mechwarrior 1, which I loved! My friend who was into the board game and would lend me his novels (which is where you really get into the universe and characters), loved playing Mechwarrior on the PC as he didn't have a computer of his own then (1990) our family 286 or 386 did the job back then!

It was when I went off to Uni that Mechwarrior 2 came out and well... things never really ended. Really hoping this brings everyone of a like mind and love of all things Battletech one step closer to a real interactive Inner Sphere with massive battlefield reality! :D

#92 The Shadow

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSeattle Area

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

My first game I got really addicted to was Mechwarrior 2, it came bundled with the sidewinder 3d pro (I still have 2 of them that work) and I got addicted, I then got the ghost bears legacy expansion, then mercenaries. got into MW3, then Mechcommander, then MW4 vengeance, then black knight (didnt like it) then got the MW3 expansion (took me a while to get it lol) then mechcommander 2, then MW4 mercs. I still own all my CD's and old joysticks, I plan on playing this game with a sidewinder precision pro 2.

I'm 22 btw, so I was a little kid when I got into it, and I played MW2 for DOS.

Edited by The Shadow, 03 November 2011 - 03:05 AM.

#93 Black Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

My first game was MechWarrior 3. I was 10 or 11 back then and my love of giant robots began after my bro also got me heavy gear 2. Good times.

#94 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

My first encounter with the game in general was as a youngling after my mother left us, going back to Illinois and staying with my dad's old college friends. One of them had the complete Robotech first series and the other (her hubby) an Apple, with Mechwarrior 1. Now that I think of it this was the point where my personality was fixed, I was forged a nerd that day, with anime in one hand and hard core gaming in the other (and my father reading Eddings and Tolkien as bedtime stories). I was told that the anime was the cartoon for the game, and would later find the irony in them making a cartoon, for the video game...

The fun part of playing the apple version first was that there was a punch button that was mapped but not really mentioned in the manual, so watching an NPC battlemaster sucker-punch a warhammer in the pie-hole and spending hours trying to find out how to do that (at age five[ish]) is one of my strongest memories.

After a couple years and moving back to WA my dad found players who took it to the hex, and brought my brother and I in as obvious bait (a 10 and 12 y/o? no way they can out tactic JF players!) only to utilize us as as a pie hole busting sucker-punches having indoctrinated us into strategy and game theory through many games of risk and gridded D&D.

Since then I have played all the MW and Btech branded games, but skipped mechassault and mechcommander brands as kinda lame looking. I still prefer the hex to the vid hands down, but finding groups is hard when everyone has harsh hours and or goes to school on top of a fulltime job.

#95 levowen

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

Crescent Hawk's Inception. Played it through on C64 and PC. I wish the stock market really worked like that.

#96 Thunderbolt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

I started with the board game Battle Droids, which then became Battletech. I also started off with Crescent Hawks Inception, on the Amiga f I recall correctly. Of the later games it was Mechwarrior 3 that I loved the most and the one that disappointed me the most was Mechwarrior 4.

I also worked at an RPG store that used to feature game exhibitions and I was the guy who did large-scale battles using Battletech (also Car Wars) using miniature terrain dioramas and painted metal miniatures. Eventually we recruited other players fro our customers and local game clubs who formed local leagues and they often played matches instore, too. Happy days, when I was basically getting paid to game all day, heh.

Edited by Thunderbolt, 03 November 2011 - 04:26 AM.

#97 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

I started back in 1980's playing the PnP classic Battletech, lucky, i had a cousin my age next door that liked playing too. Have bought Everything Battletech since that time. Still looking for "The Succession Wars" boxed game at a decent price.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users