• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostFupDup, on 12 October 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

The CTF is an average sized heavy.
Posted Image

yeah, it's average height, but also looks quite wide and bulky compared to the ShadowHawk. Shadowhawk has it's girlish waist, slim little hips, etc.

View PostDexion, on 12 October 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

W...T...F

Posted Image

Awesome is not hugely tall. The Shadow Hawk is in front and the camera angle is putting perspective way out of whack. that said, still is a skosh taller than I would prefer.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostAdridos, on 12 October 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Nope, Kintaro or less in size (just slightly higher than a Cent).

Quickdraw... :(
Man, either you have no idea how big that one is, or have some severe miscalculations in that height theorem of yours.

Posted Image
sadly, I think you are wrong. =(

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 October 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

Okay, I think that screenie says everything that needs to be said.

/Thread.

#45 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostFupDup, on 12 October 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

It's deliberate thought. They obey the TT bible when it comes to scaling things 40+ tons.

...is there a source to that?

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

well, on the bright side, my THUD is about perfect.

(so only 9 out of 12 of my mechs are probably going to be wack)

#47 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Nah, everything but the SHD look to be scaled well... The first few SHD pics gave me hope, but these kinda like dash it. Hope Im wrong. ..

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostDexion, on 12 October 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Nah, everything but the SHD look to be scaled well... The first few SHD pics gave me hope, but these kinda like dash it. Hope Im wrong. ..

well, in truth I figured the Locust then the BLR would be my least used anyhow. The SHD and THUD were the ones I was most looking for (and my Saber Mechs, though my old fave the Griffin i fear will not fare well)

#49 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Yea, I don't think the Griffin is going to make the transition to MWO very well.. To be honest, without Melee, the 55 ton Jump mediums lose a huge amount of their "punch". The ability to jump Behind you're opponent and send an 11 point kick to the legs was a staple of the 55 toners in TT, and is one of the things that made them so effective.

#50 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 11 October 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Good, imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if they had stuck with their old ways of scaling mechs. A nice sigh of relief.

Hitboxes could still gimp it, whether from bugs or poor placement/sizing :x

#51 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hmm... think we should start a petition to fire whos in charge of scaling?

Edited by ManDaisy, 12 October 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostDexion, on 12 October 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Yea, I don't think the Griffin is going to make the transition to MWO very well.. To be honest, without Melee, the 55 ton Jump mediums lose a huge amount of their "punch". The ability to jump Behind you're opponent and send an 11 point kick to the legs was a staple of the 55 toners in TT, and is one of the things that made them so effective.

Don't forget the most likely Hero Griffin, ol "Dropkick" Darvin, famous for jump kicking other mechs in the face with his GRF.

MechWarrior "Dropkick" Darvin
A member of O'Hara's medium lance in House Steiner's Winfield's Brigade, "Dropkick" Darvin Webster is famous for his often foolhardy close assaults in his Griffin, the Hopalong. Webster is skilled in the jump-kick tactic of smashing his 'Mech into the upper torso and head of an opponent, which is how he earned his nickname. Though the maneuver causes damage to both 'Mechs, "Dropkick" Darvin has come out of most of these confrontations fairly intact. His Griffin does have the most patched-up lower torso of any in Winfield's Brigade, however.

*sigh*
I miss the good ol days of Btech...no silly Clans, no silly Jihad or Dark Age, just good ol shamble-tech fun!

#53 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 12 October 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Hmm... think we should start a petition to fire whos in charge of scaling?

Or at least whack him upside the head with a pool noodle every day until he gets the idea. Seriously. The shadow hawk's head is level with the top of the centurion's mohawk. Its legs are just as wide and half a hip taller. Its torso is about the same width and height, but has a bulky shoulder cannon, a missile launcher on the other side, and a boxier overall shape and fatter waist area. This thing couldn't be more DOA if it had been shoved out of a dropship at 500km without any jump jet fuel.

Posted Image

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 12 October 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Or at least whack him upside the head with a pool noodle every day until he gets the idea. Seriously. The shadow hawk's head is level with the top of the centurion's mohawk. Its legs are just as wide and half a hip taller. Its torso is about the same width and height, but has a bulky shoulder cannon, a missile launcher on the other side, and a boxier overall shape and fatter waist area. This thing couldn't be more DOA if it had been shoved out of a dropship at 500km without any jump jet fuel.

Posted Image

wait a sec...... the ray trace doo hickey........ that's what bugging me. You follow the toes for a fixed point, which is fine, but the other traces all are angled to meet that, meaning they don't really tell you much. That angle
Posted Image
following those upper lines as a consistent guide is fallacious. Look at hos the Cnty shrinks as a "slide" it to follow those guides.

I grant I don't know the "maths" but, I do know if you place a Centy at those points on that map, it ain't that small, which is what following those traces would tell you.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 12 October 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#55 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'm just going to wait until I use them or fire on them in game. Lots of folks thought the victor was terribad before it was in game too....

#56 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 October 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

*sigh*
I miss the good ol days of Btech...no silly Clans, no silly Jihad or Dark Age, just good ol shamble-tech fun!

I came late to the TT party and finding out about the Era's. I guess I could see why the later stuff isn't as appealing if you started with the way earlier versions, but I like the idea of Battletech having multiple Era's - OR at least being able to confine playing into each separate Era. "I want to play 3025 Era Only today, or hmm, maybe I want to play in Jihad Era today."

#57 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 October 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

wait a sec...... the ray trace doo hickey........ that's what bugging me. You follow the toes for a fixed point, which is fine, but the other traces all are angled to meet that, meaning they don't really tell you much. That angle following those upper lines as a consistent guide is fallacious. Look at hos the Cnty shrinks as a "slide" it to follow those guides.

I grant I don't know the "maths" but, I do know if you place a Centy at those points on that map, it ain't that small, which is what following those traces would tell you.

The lower lines are the ones that establish the vanishing point. You just need several sets of points that you know are at the same height - the toes are the first one, the upper edges of the kneecaps are the second one, and the top of the hips are the third one. They were not drawn *such that* they met at that point, they were drawn such that they passed through those sets of equal-height points - the fact that they meet at the same point is a consequence of the laws of perspective.

Once you have the vanishing point, you can then draw new lines *starting* at that point to establish the relative heights of other objects in the scene - that is what the upper lines are, and that's why I made them a different color. They aren't establishing the vanishing point, they're extrapolating from it.

The centy shrinking more than the terrain as you slide it along the lines is because the vanishing point is at a much larger distance than the terrain -it's just a consequence of the camera angle.

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 12 October 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I came late to the TT party and finding out about the Era's. I guess I could see why the later stuff isn't as appealing if you started with the way earlier versions, but I like the idea of Battletech having multiple Era's - OR at least being able to confine playing into each separate Era. "I want to play 3025 Era Only today, or hmm, maybe I want to play in Jihad Era today."

yeah, the story arcs were ok, it's ,more how broken the balance got.

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 12 October 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

The lower lines are the ones that establish the vanishing point. You just need several sets of points that you know are at the same height - the toes are the first one, the upper edges of the kneecaps are the second one, and the top of the hips are the third one. They were not drawn *such that* they met at that point, they were drawn such that they passed through those sets of equal-height points - the fact that they meet at the same point is a consequence of the laws of perspective.

Once you have the vanishing point, you can then draw new lines *starting* at that point to establish the relative heights of other objects in the scene - that is what the upper lines are, and that's why I made them a different color. They aren't establishing the vanishing point, they're extrapolating from it.

The centy shrinking more than the terrain as you slide it along the lines is because the vanishing point is at a much larger distance than the terrain -it's just a consequence of the camera angle.

I guess that's what bugs me, is it's a 2d reference point on a 3d picture. I get that the actual location is supposed to be far and away behind the actual visual line, but without another reference point, it's still just a set of converging points, with no more guarantee that the angles are on the right plane for the Shadow hawk, closer on to us on the "slider" than my mini cents further back. To use a 2 dimensional set of traces you would need a 3rd "constant" or known point along the traces, like another mech Centy further down the line, where you traces intersect both, and then you could compare the SHD to it.

Like I said, I am no math professor, but there are variables missing.

#59 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

About those Shadow Hawk pics: what FoV was being used when they were taken? Because if you go much higher above the default it throws things WAY off. That shot next to a Cataphract, do you see how strangely it stretches the right arm? Doesn't change that the SHD is tall, but those screenshots just aren't right.

#60 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 October 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

Well, now I'm glad I didn't buy the saber pack.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users