- - - - -

Need Some Advice

102 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ok guys. I am new here. Well technically new. I made a couple posts way back in beta about advice on whether or not my computer would run this game or something like that. I have a new computer that I know can run it now, so I am finally going to play.

Here is what I need advice on. I want to be a sniper. While I am not the best shot in video games, I think I have a better chance of doing somewhat ok at range, than if I was in close. I'm just not good at CQB really. I am older and I am disabled because of nerve damage in my shoulder, arms and hands. So making split second maneuvers or whatever you want to call it in a CQB situation doesn't usually go too well for me in other games. All in all, it just seems like a better idea for me to stay at range and pick enemies off from a distance.

So I am looking for advice on a good starter mech and sniper load out. Also if anyone has a good key setup for a razer nostromo that I could look at, that would be great also.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me. I am looking forward to getting into a mech and blowing s*** up. I have always loved mech games including the older Mechwarrior games I played when I was a lot younger. Lol.

P.S. I did do some searching before making this post, and the only things I could find were from months ago, so I want something more up to date as I know things change in games like these, balancing and what not.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

The Catapult K2 is a great choice, functional for both PPC sniping as well as dual ballistic weapons. Affordable, functions well with an XL engine when you get the cash for it. Downsides include havig ot invest on two other Catapults in order to Elite/Master it, and the other Catapults are a different playstyle than the outlying K2.

Alternatively, any heavy mech. All of them can perform well with a pair of ERPPCs and many of then can load up on a ballistic weapon or two. Jagers and Cataphracts are great. Many people enjoy Quickdraws as well- Dragons and Orions less so.

Note that being a direct fire support in MWO is not the same as being a sniper in other shooters. you have fewer places to patiently hide to get those long range shots, and you will always be exposed to light mechs sneaking up on you and tearing out your rear armor and forcing you into CQB.

It's actually much more effective to move with your team so they can support you, and you can use long range fire to pin down targets or to wail on the enemy one they've been engaged by your team's brawlers. Staying in the rear just makes you a target.

#3 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Ok guys. I am new here. Well technically new. I made a couple posts way back in beta about advice on whether or not my computer would run this game or something like that. I have a new computer that I know can run it now, so I am finally going to play.

Here is what I need advice on. I want to be a sniper. While I am not the best shot in video games, I think I have a better chance of doing somewhat ok at range, than if I was in close. I'm just not good at CQB really. I am older and I am disabled because of nerve damage in my shoulder, arms and hands. So making split second maneuvers or whatever you want to call it in a CQB situation doesn't usually go too well for me in other games. All in all, it just seems like a better idea for me to stay at range and pick enemies off from a distance.

So I am looking for advice on a good starter mech and sniper load out. Also if anyone has a good key setup for a razer nostromo that I could look at, that would be great also.

Not setup information, but maybe of some slight help: http://mwomercs.com/...ng-light-mechs/

----

On the hardware: you might try and peruse the flight-sim / cockpit builders forums on the web for info and reviews on joystick equipment. There are some pretty hard-core guys out there who really REALLY know their stuff.

#4 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostPht, on 12 October 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Not setup information, but maybe of some slight help: http://mwomercs.com/...ng-light-mechs/

----

On the hardware: you might try and peruse the flight-sim / cockpit builders forums on the web for info and reviews on joystick equipment. There are some pretty hard-core guys out there who really REALLY know their stuff.

Thank you for that link. As far as the Nostromo goes, it's not a joystick. It's a gamepad. Just easier for me to use in games like this than a keyboard due to the nerve damage in my hands.

#5 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 12 October 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

The Catapult K2 is a great choice, functional for both PPC sniping as well as dual ballistic weapons. Affordable, functions well with an XL engine when you get the cash for it. Downsides include havig ot invest on two other Catapults in order to Elite/Master it, and the other Catapults are a different playstyle than the outlying K2.

Alternatively, any heavy mech. All of them can perform well with a pair of ERPPCs and many of then can load up on a ballistic weapon or two. Jagers and Cataphracts are great. Many people enjoy Quickdraws as well- Dragons and Orions less so.

Note that being a direct fire support in MWO is not the same as being a sniper in other shooters. you have fewer places to patiently hide to get those long range shots, and you will always be exposed to light mechs sneaking up on you and tearing out your rear armor and forcing you into CQB.

It's actually much more effective to move with your team so they can support you, and you can use long range fire to pin down targets or to wail on the enemy one they've been engaged by your team's brawlers. Staying in the rear just makes you a target.

Well I didn't mean sniping as staying back of the map in a really large bush waiting for targets. :huh: I meant more like moving with the group but towards the back of it. I have watched enough videos on the game to know that being alone is not usually a good idea. Thank you for your advice.

#6 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Thank you for that link. As far as the Nostromo goes, it's not a joystick. It's a gamepad. Just easier for me to use in games like this than a keyboard due to the nerve damage in my hands.

If you can get used to it, a good joystick with a tunable mainspring can help with unsteady hands, as it works a bit more on gross motor movements than fine wrist movements.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking joysticks are all less precise/accurate than mice. Just know that you get what you pay for, in spades, with joysticks. Buy the best one you can possibly afford, and it will be just as good as a mouse.

#7 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostPht, on 12 October 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

If you can get used to it, a good joystick with a tunable mainspring can help with unsteady hands, as it works a bit more on gross motor movements than fine wrist movements.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking joysticks are all less precise/accurate than mice. Just know that you get what you pay for, in spades, with joysticks. Buy the best one you can possibly afford, and it will be just as good as a mouse.

Can you maybe recommend some joysticks in different price ranges? Like $50, $100 and maybe even $200? I can't afford anything right now, but when my disability pay starts in a month or so, I should be able to get something then.

#8 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 12 October 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I did want to ask, what do you mean you have to invest in two other catapults to elite/master it? You can't just buy the K2 outright? If this is the case, which two other catapults do I have to go through? I see like 3 others, one of which being an MC only version which I am guessing is the same as one of the C-Bills version.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Large lasers and PPCs are both good for this. Autocannons in general can also provide this. LRMs and streaks are also suitable. LRMs for ranged support, streaks to help deal with the 'twitch CQB' situations by utilizing a locked weapon that never misses.

As far as mechs go:

Within a reasonably affordable range for a new player, we have:
  • The Hunchback line; cheapest and easiest route to go for the uncertain player.
  • Catapults -- a bit pricier, versatile, capable mechs. Unlike most, however, I recommend the C1 first. It's just as easy to slap the same PPCs in it (minus the arm-aim ability) but just as easily you can run LRMs, Streaks, SRMs, as well as be able to jump. The Catapult K2 can't do missiles or jump.
  • Cataphract. A bit pricier than your average catapult. These mechs are made by Liao for general combat. Two versions, the 4x and the 3D, are captured models re-outfitted by the Davions, and capitalize on fire support and dynamic support roles. Their mid-body arms prove to be a problem with hills, however. This problem doesn't exist with flat terrain.
  • Jagermech. Typically about the same cost if a little lower than the Cataphract line, these guys have high-mounted cannon weapons.
  • Kintaro. It can fight on its own or with the support of others. These have actually been making very good anti-light and anti-medium mechs when walking in tow of an Atlas or other assault mech.
Some videos of combat support mechs (some as the supporting mech, some as the mech being supported).

Spoiler

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

I did want to ask, what do you mean you have to invest in two other catapults to elite/master it? You can't just buy the K2 outright? If this is the case, which two other catapults do I have to go through? I see like 3 others, one of which being an MC only version which I am guessing is the same as one of the C-Bills version.

You can buy any mech outright. But then you can build 'skills' with the mech through experience. These increase turning radius of the torso, how fast the parts can move, reduce how long it takes to shut down or boot up, etc. You can unlock the basic skills with just one Catapult. But to "truly know" the machine, you need to have two additional variants to get the elite (most useful) traits.

Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 12 October 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#10 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Can you maybe recommend some joysticks in different price ranges? Like $50, $100 and maybe even $200? I can't afford anything right now, but when my disability pay starts in a month or so, I should be able to get something then.

I would love to be able to. But at the moment I am quite literally poor and my only joystick is an old microsoft USB first-gen precision pro (a great joystick... very precise. just OLD). I ... CAN ... tell you to stay AWAY from the logitech 3d extreme joystick. uses bad hardware and logitech WILL NOT fix nor replace them.

If you do some serious hunting in this section, or in the archives hardware section, there used to be a couple of GREAT threads listing out all the joysticks.

http://mwomercs.com/...re-accessories/

basically, with joysticks, if you're not spending 120$ or more ... the stick is likely to be not so great. That's the downside of a stick. There are a few sticks cheaper than that that might be pretty good, but I haven't laid hands on them to use them, so I can't say. The top end of the joystick market price wise ... the sky's the limit. some people even use the actual controller setups from actual jetfighters.

Edited by Pht, 12 October 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,999 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I can't give you specific advice on joystick models - but make sure it is capable of zero-order input. You want the joystick to work like a mouse, and have no dead zone in the middle. You spend as much as you like on a joystick, but if it's a first-order controller, you'll be significantly less effective.

PS: There's some very thorough posts about what a zero-order controller is, but I'll simplify it like this: Think of your computer's desktop -
  • If you want to move your pointer to a desktop icon, you simply move the mouse. This is a zero-order control; you just do the operation.
  • With most joysticks, you would have to push the joystick in the direction of the icon, and then stop pushing once your pointer was over the desktop icon you wanted to select. This is not a zero-order control; multiple actions are required to perform a given operation (the joystick's buttons, on the other hand, are still zero-order.)
Some joysticks, either out-of-the-box or through software, can operate as zero-order controls. If the joystick is centered, the pointer is centered; if you push the joystick halfway up, the pointer moves halfway toward the top of your screen and stops; and etc. These are the joysticks you want. Accept no substitute.

#12 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me. I am looking forward to getting into a mech and blowing s*** up. I have always loved mech games including the older Mechwarrior games I played when I was a lot younger. Lol.

P.S. I did do some searching before making this post, and the only things I could find were from months ago, so I want something more up to date as I know things change in games like these, balancing and what not.

I am sorry about your disabilety its very sad

Unlike Catapult Jagger has ballistic slots in his hands instead of shoulders so its more suited for gauss (since gauss can exlode and destroy XL). Also most jaggers have 4 ballistic slots with 2-4 energy slots so you have more options than catapult .

The best catapult build i found is Gauss/2 ER/2 Medium lasers . Its a pretty decent ranged build .

If you want something simple use 3 Large and 2 ER on Stalker with 21-23 double heatsinks.

Good luck

Edited by MadCat02, 12 October 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#13 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 October 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I can't give you specific advice on joystick models - but make sure it is capable of zero-order input. You want the joystick to work like a mouse, and have no dead zone in the middle. You spend as much as you like on a joystick, but if it's a first-order controller, you'll be significantly less effective.

PS: There's some very thorough posts about what a zero-order controller is, but I'll simplify it like this: Think of your computer's desktop -
  • If you want to move your pointer to a desktop icon, you simply move the mouse. This is a zero-order control; you just do the operation.
  • With most joysticks, you would have to push the joystick in the direction of the icon, and then stop pushing once your pointer was over the desktop icon you wanted to select. This is not a zero-order control; multiple actions are required to perform a given operation (the joystick's buttons, on the other hand, are still zero-order.)
Some joysticks, either out-of-the-box or through software, can operate as zero-order controls. If the joystick is centered, the pointer is centered; if you push the joystick halfway up, the pointer moves halfway toward the top of your screen and stops; and etc. These are the joysticks you want. Accept no substitute.

Shame that so many sticks aren't zero order. That's one of the reasons i've been hanging ont my MS precision pro. The optical sensor in it is virtually the same as in an optical mouse.

#14 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I would recommend a jager or a cat, personally wish I would have went with a jager first though. Cat's are great but to elite them you are really pushed into getting at least 1 that is very missle dependant where the jagers can all be made into ballistic platforms with 1 varient having decent missle hardpoints to boot.

#15 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Yay! I can finally post again. Being limited to 5 posts per day is the most ******** thing I have ever seen on a forum.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up going with a Stalker with 4 LRM's and 6 medium lasers. I live stream and a guy that came into the stream gave me a good build for it. My one test run I did last night before I went to bed, went decently. Most likely would have gone a lot better in the hands of an experienced pilot, but I am happy with it. All except for the disgusting puke green camo I am stuck with until I can come up with some money to get camo. I also want to buy the Misery someday as it looks awesome. Lol.

Thanks again guys.

Edit: Just waking up typos. Grrr

Edited by Dizzy Strife, 13 October 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#16 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hey Dizzy! Saw and liked your post the other day. As I'm fairly new myself (been playing since mid-August), I knew others would have far better advice for you than I could offer. However, I can offer this: empathy. I'm an older gamer myself, and I also suffer from moderate-to-severe arthritis, meaning my hands aren't quite what they used to be. I've adapted and largely been able to be...if not successful, let's just say less burdensome...on the field of battle.

Now, as far as actual advice, I can't add much to what folks have already said. I do have two pieces of advice that really helped me immensely and so I gladly pass them on to you.

First, turn down your mouse sensitivity. This actually helps your aim immensely. There's an in-game setting for sensitivity under options (I think I moved mine to 0.4 from the default 1.0). I also adjusted my sensitivity settings under Windows itself to further help. With the new settings and a little practice, I can now put my LL's on point for the entire duration of fire while at a full gallop. Not bad for a gimpy ol' guy! :D

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly: make ample use of the Testing Grounds. Run around the maps, between buildings or behind cover, learn the layout to find hiding spots, sniper's nests, secret paths, etc. Practice switching targets, keeping your aim focused on a particular area (legs or shoulders, for example) while running full speed, etc. Time spent here will always, ALWAYS pay dividends when you drop in a match. For the first 2-3 weeks of play, I easily spent as much or more time in the TG's as I did in actual play. I'm convinced it helped make me a better player in the long run.

Welcome to the game, and feel free to shoot me a friend request in game. Us ol' codgers might have a thing or three to teach the young'uns! ;)

Edited by StarGeezer, 13 October 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#17 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have one more piece of advice I would like to ask for. I have just enough money in my PayPal from donations on my live stream to buy the 1250 MC point package. Would it be worth getting that and buying the champion Spider mech to earn extra C-Bills and Exp? It's the only champion mech that I would be able to afford with cash right now. I already have 5k exp built up on that mech from the trial one, so I could get some pilot upgrades for it right away. Let me know what you guys think please.

Also, thanks for the advice StarGeezer. I would just qoute you and thank you that way, but since I seem to be limited to 5 posts a day, something that really annoys the **** out of me, I need to be sparing in my posts. Lol

P.S. And now it logs me out while I am writing this post and I can't post it. Worst forums ever. I also apparently do not have the ability to like posts either. Ugh

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Likes are good. The limit goes away with number of matches played. It's there because some people would create new accounts to complain as "new players."

#19 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hey Dizzy,

Firstly, you should be able to post more now. It seems that you have done your 25 matches and are now considered a member.

Secondly, you might want to wait on buying MC and a hero mech. You can, it's just that MC is probably best used for mechbays. The C-bills will come... eventually.

Thirdly, the Spider you used was a Champion mech, it is not a Hero. That means it gives an XP boost and not a C-bill boost.

#20 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yay! I can finally post again. Being limited to 5 posts per day is the most ******** thing I have ever seen on a forum.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up going with a Stalker with 4 LRM's and 6 medium lasers. I live stream and a guy that came into the stream gave me a good build for it. My one test run I did last night before I went to bed, went decently. Most likely would have gone a lot better in the hands of an experienced pilot, but I am happy with it. All except for the disgusting puke green camo I am stuck with until I can come up with some money to get camo. I also want to buy the Misery someday as it looks awesome. Lol.

Thanks again guys.

Edit: Just waking up typos. Grrr

**Edit**
Apparently this doesn't work, or it counts the post you quote or some such.
**End edit**
Based on what Johnny said, you aren't limited to 5 posts, but just in case someone else new comes along, I want to point ou that if you use the Multiquote button it will let you make one post, but reply to multiple people.

Also, as Koniving said, it's to limit spam as well as trolls.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 13 October 2013 - 01:15 PM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users