Need Some Advice

102 replies to this topic

#21 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 October 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Likes are good. The limit goes away with number of matches played. It's there because some people would create new accounts to complain as "new players."

Ok good to know and yeah that makes sense. Lol

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 13 October 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hey Dizzy,

Firstly, you should be able to post more now. It seems that you have done your 25 matches and are now considered a member.

Secondly, you might want to wait on buying MC and a hero mech. You can, it's just that MC is probably best used for mechbays. The C-bills will come... eventually.

Thirdly, the Spider you used was a Champion mech, it is not a Hero. That means it gives an XP boost and not a C-bill boost.

Oh ok. So Champion mechs give more xp and Hero mechs give more C-bills? Honestly, if I end up buying anything other than mechs with MC, it will be camo patterns and camo colors. This may sounds dumb, but I really like customizing my characters, or in this case, mechs. Lol. I am really disappointed that the only free color is dark green or as I call it, puke green. Looks horrible. To be honest, just playing around in the camo patterns and colors, I really couldn't find a mix that I like as it is. Maybe I am just doing it wrong. Who knows. Lol

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 13 October 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Based on what Johnny said, you aren't limited to 5 posts, but just in case someone else new comes along, I want to point ou that if you use the Multiquote button it will let you make one post, but reply to multiple people.

Also, as Koniving said, it's to limit spam as well as trolls.

Yeah I tried to the multiquote yesterday and that is when I found out I was limited to 5. I guess I could have tried again last night because I finished my 25 matches last night.

#22 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes, Champion mechs give a 10% boost to xp earned. Hero mechs/Pheonix mechs will give a 30% boost to C-bills earned. These bonuses stack with Premium Time, which gives a 50% bonus to C-bill AND xp earned.

Champion mechs, Hero mechs, and Premium Time can only be bought with MC.

The bonus giving Pheonix mechs can be bought from the website through pre-order. You need to be quick because they get delivered tomorrow.

EDIT: Added some info.

Edited by Johnny Marek Summers, 13 October 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Honestly, if I end up buying anything other than mechs with MC, it will be camo patterns and camo colors. This may sounds dumb, but I really like customizing my characters, or in this case, mechs. Lol. I am really disappointed that the only free color is dark green or as I call it, puke green. Looks horrible. To be honest, just playing around in the camo patterns and colors, I really couldn't find a mix that I like as it is. Maybe I am just doing it wrong. Who knows. Lol

You may like this thread by Lordred. http://mwomercs.com/...eenshot-thread/ I star in many of the screen shots. And as such I have lots of paints and camos.

Among favorite paint schemes..
Spoiler

For your stalker.. Change the pattern first, then play with colors. Collect the colors (and patterns) during sales for the biggest bang for your buck. I usually put in a large lump to get a hero with and then slowly trickle the rest out during the color and camo sales almost every Friday.

This album will give you a peek into mechs I've posted up in my 'bay' to share with others.

Edited by Koniving, 13 October 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#24 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 13 October 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yes, Champion mechs give a 10% boost to xp earned. Hero mechs/Pheonix mechs will give a 30% boost to C-bills earned. These bonuses stack with Premium Time, which gives a 50% bonus to C-bill AND xp earned.

Champion mechs, Hero mechs, and Premium Time can only be bought with MC.

The bonus giving Pheonix mechs can be bought from the website through pre-order. You need to be quick because they get delivered tomorrow.

EDIT: Added some info.

Yeah I saw the Phoenix mechs. I really want to get that, but I don't have the money for it right now. Being disabled, I am unable to work and until my social security comes through, the only income I have is when people donate on my live stream, which doesn't happen often. My stream isn't well known or very big.

View PostKoniving, on 13 October 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

You may like this thread by Lordred. http://mwomercs.com/...eenshot-thread/ I star in many of the screen shots. And as such I have lots of paints and camos.

Among favorite paint schemes..
Spoiler

For your stalker.. Change the pattern first, then play with colors. Collect the colors (and patterns) during sales for the biggest bang for your buck. I usually put in a large lump to get a hero with and then slowly trickle the rest out during the color and camo sales almost every Friday.

This album will give you a peek into mechs I've posted up in my 'bay' to share with others.

Thanks for that Koniving. Looks like you are really good at making mechs look awesome.

Edit: Spelled Koniving's name wrong. >.<

Edited by Dizzy Strife, 13 October 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Everyone does it at least once. I'm surprised more people haven't settled with "Kon" instead of Koniving.
Even search does it.
"You searched for 'koniving', did you mean conniving?"

#26 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I have one more piece of advice I would like to ask for. I have just enough money in my PayPal from donations on my live stream to buy the 1250 MC point package. Would it be worth getting that and buying the champion Spider mech to earn extra C-Bills and Exp? It's the only champion mech that I would be able to afford with cash right now. I already have 5k exp built up on that mech from the trial one, so I could get some pilot upgrades for it right away. Let me know what you guys think please.

Also, thanks for the advice StarGeezer. I would just qoute you and thank you that way, but since I seem to be limited to 5 posts a day, something that really annoys the **** out of me, I need to be sparing in my posts. Lol

P.S. And now it logs me out while I am writing this post and I can't post it. Worst forums ever. I also apparently do not have the ability to like posts either. Ugh

CHampion mechs only earn extra XP. Hero mechs earn extra cbills. You're better off getting premium time or mech bays.

#27 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Yeah I tried to the multiquote yesterday and that is when I found out I was limited to 5. I guess I could have tried again last night because I finished my 25 matches last night.

Huh, honestly thought that would work. Well that sucks, but thanks for letting me know. Will edit my post so I don't confuse anyone.

#28 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 13 October 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Huh, honestly thought that would work. Well that sucks, but thanks for letting me know. Will edit my post so I don't confuse anyone.

It might work. I just don't think it did for me because I had already made 5 pots before that.

View PostKoniving, on 13 October 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Everyone does it at least once. I'm surprised more people haven't settled with "Kon" instead of Koniving.
Even search does it.
"You searched for 'koniving', did you mean conniving?"

Lol

#29 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

It might work. I just don't think it did for me because I had already made 5 pots before that.

Lol

Well I will leave it there for now..better safe than sorry, and the first time I searched for Koniving's posts, I seriously LoLed when I saw that ;)

#30 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Here is what I need advice on. I want to be a sniper. While I am not the best shot in video games, I think I have a better chance of doing somewhat ok at range, than if I was in close. I'm just not good at CQB really. I am older and I am disabled because of nerve damage in my shoulder, arms and hands. So making split second maneuvers or whatever you want to call it in a CQB situation doesn't usually go too well for me in other games. All in all, it just seems like a better idea for me to stay at range and pick enemies off from a distance.

If you are lacking twitch skills because of disability, I'd recommend missiles...you can do that from a distance and do not need quick reflexes to make it work. Missiles are more strategy than tactics.

You could have a hybrid missiles/Gauss or missile/PPC platform. That would let you do some sniping. I'd get a catapult or missile Jager and load it with the best engine you can get for it. Then put a PPC(s) or Gauss on it, then fill the remainder with missiles.

#31 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 13 October 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

If you are lacking twitch skills because of disability, I'd recommend missiles...you can do that from a distance and do not need quick reflexes to make it work. Missiles are more strategy than tactics.

You could have a hybrid missiles/Gauss or missile/PPC platform. That would let you do some sniping. I'd get a catapult or missile Jager and load it with the best engine you can get for it. Then put a PPC(s) or Gauss on it, then fill the remainder with missiles.

Thanks for your input. I ended up going with a Stalker with 6 medium lasers for if they get in close and 4 LRm's for distance. Been doing pretty decent with it, even getting some kills. Been averaging from 90 to 200 damage in most matches. I don't think that's much, but it seem on par with most of the other players in the matches. I do eventually want to try out a jager with AC's or PPC's. But that will be a ways down the road when i have the C-bills or if I get lucky enough to get some money for MC. Lol.

#32 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Thank you for that link. As far as the Nostromo goes, it's not a joystick. It's a gamepad. Just easier for me to use in games like this than a keyboard due to the nerve damage in my hands.

I use a g-13 gamepad and can attest that it is FAR easier for a game like this than a keyboard for perfectly healthy adults too. Pilot with the thumbstick, target/vision-change/shoot extra weapons groups and push-to-talk on team speak all right under my fingers, never having to take my thumb off so I'm always turning and changing velocity when I need it w/out sacrificing any functions.
As for the OP's situation, I've found effective sniping often requires as much fine motor control and reflexes and CQB, perhaps a brawling heavy/medium might be more your speed?

#33 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 13 October 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Thanks for your input. I ended up going with a Stalker with 6 medium lasers for if they get in close and 4 LRm's for distance. Been doing pretty decent with it, even getting some kills. Been averaging from 90 to 200 damage in most matches. I don't think that's much, but it seem on par with most of the other players in the matches. I do eventually want to try out a jager with AC's or PPC's. But that will be a ways down the road when i have the C-bills or if I get lucky enough to get some money for MC. Lol.

Stalkers are arguably the best passive tank in the game. The only downside is speed. If the enemy gets to you, you will not be able to get away easy.

#34 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostAym, on 13 October 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I use a g-13 gamepad and can attest that it is FAR easier for a game like this than a keyboard for perfectly healthy adults too. Pilot with the thumbstick, target/vision-change/shoot extra weapons groups and push-to-talk on team speak all right under my fingers, never having to take my thumb off so I'm always turning and changing velocity when I need it w/out sacrificing any functions.
As for the OP's situation, I've found effective sniping often requires as much fine motor control and reflexes and CQB, perhaps a brawling heavy/medium might be more your speed?

Yeah I want to use my Nostromo. Just need to figure out a good key layout for it. I haven't used the thumbstick for any other game as of yet, but I might give it a try on this game. Then I can set the wasd keys for other functions that normally would not be on the Nostromo. It has a lot of keys, but it doesn't stretch past the r, f and c keys on their respective rows. I think it could work great if I can figure out a configuration for it that I can get used too and getting used to using the thumbstick.

View PostSadistic Savior, on 13 October 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Stalkers are arguably the best passive tank in the game. The only downside is speed. If the enemy gets to you, you will not be able to get away easy.

Yeah it is pretty damn slow and I do go down pretty quickly once they get too close to me unless if they are as bad at shooting as I am. Lol.

#35 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well for the g-13 I use the home keys where my fingers naturally rest as extra weapons groups and "tab" to check the status of the mechs in the match. One row up is "Esc" "R" "N" "H" "O" and "P" so I can get to options or cancel the chat line easily, and do a myriad of in-game functions easily. For one row down I have "X" "V" "C" and "Ctrl," which is my push-to-talk button for team speak, and the rest of those command are in-game just used much less commonly as I find it more difficult to remember what buttons are what when my figners go down as opposed to up a row, your mileage may vary. I DO find a conveninently located "x" to be a savior to help me control my throttle or free my attention up to other things instead of throttling down w/out going into reverse, but if you use throttle decay that's a non-issue.

#36 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostAym, on 13 October 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Well for the g-13 I use the home keys where my fingers naturally rest as extra weapons groups and "tab" to check the status of the mechs in the match. One row up is "Esc" "R" "N" "H" "O" and "P" so I can get to options or cancel the chat line easily, and do a myriad of in-game functions easily. For one row down I have "X" "V" "C" and "Ctrl," which is my push-to-talk button for team speak, and the rest of those command are in-game just used much less commonly as I find it more difficult to remember what buttons are what when my figners go down as opposed to up a row, your mileage may vary. I DO find a conveninently located "x" to be a savior to help me control my throttle or free my attention up to other things instead of throttling down w/out going into reverse, but if you use throttle decay that's a non-issue.

Oh, of course that's not the actual order of the buttons, I'm at work and would be very hard-pressed to accurately relay that information from memory!

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 13 October 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

No need to get away! Just butcher 'em all!

I don't recommend this as a common build to anyone. But to show how 'tanky' a Stalker can be...
Spoiler

I really need to have Lordred follow me in a flamer stalker. Or even a brawling stalker or my Misery. They're awesome brawling rigs. "Can't turn? Who cares!" RAWR! >.>; I love stalkers. Everything except their feet.

Edited by Koniving, 13 October 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#38 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

does lrm sniping count?
cause i would play the aws-8r or the onion with 50lrm one salvo.

#39 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 13 October 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

does lrm sniping count?
cause i would play the aws-8r or the onion with 50lrm one salvo.

Issue with that. Heat penalties.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

#40 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Spoiler

if you can kill something in 1-3 shots, its not a issue ;)
kill one, take a break and give your self some time to cool off, its worth it.
anyway heat is manageable with lrms even with the penalties.

Posted Image

Edited by King Arthur IV, 13 October 2013 - 09:17 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users