So Who's Been Leveling Their Orions This Weekend?

66 replies to this topic

#21 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 12 October 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Considering with premium time I am bouncing 8k XP, oh yeah.

That's 800 GXP btw. which is the reason I am doing it. Getting 600-800 GXP a match is huge. I've banked almost 12k GXP just from last night.

you are aware gxp is 1% of xp (or 1.5?), not 10. just sayin.

#22 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostLegoPirate, on 12 October 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

you are aware gxp is 1% of xp (or 1.5?), not 10. just sayin.

Then my account is bugged and I am earning far more than I should.

#23 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

GXP gains are always 5% of whatever you get as XP. Just divide whatever XP you gain by 20, and there you go.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 October 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#24 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

View Poststinkypuppy, on 12 October 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

i haven't been leveling my orions because i got the protector before the orions were released for C-bills and liked it so the past 2 weeks i got 2 of the C-bill versions and started to really not like the standards to much. after many hours of painful grinding just so my protector can be mastered the minute i finish the incredibly painful and unsatisfying grind. double xp weekend announced and i live in Canada so i get the Monday off meaning i could have taken advantage of a late night on Sunday. second i saw that i was like "IF I WAITED A ******* ******** 2 WEEKS I COULD HAVE DONE THIS SO MUCH FASTER HOLY ******* ****!" then proceeded to flip a table and eat ALL the ice cream, and i mean ALL of it. and i'm even a man, that {Scrap} isn't even supposed to effect us.

Being a man, I can assure you that sometimes eating all the ice-cream is the only logical solution. For example, my incredibly painful last 21k of xp to elite my last Orion, the K, would have caused me to eat all the ice-cream had there been any. In the end, I began suiciding into the enemy team just to get some kills before I bit the dust because my team seemed to have such horrible luck winning a game. Luckily I got my mojo back in the last game that netted me 3k xp and I was able to end the bullshittery. I do however now need to run about two marathons tomorrow to work off the self pity.

#25 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Still my favorite game recently.

Posted Image

#26 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 October 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I just would prefer an ancient mech designed around a standard engine, used to kick down the gates of Unity Palace and retake Terra from the Usurper to be a little more durable at the type of fighting it was actually built around.

It failed so hard at this I don't even waste time in exping them. Dropped the idea long time ago and this dxp weekend went unattended. I was thinking about the jagers but then those side torsoes remind me not to xD

#27 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

I started on Orions with the plan of using the VA as a Std engine SRM/LL Brawler... and it sucked horribly. I went through several configurations and hated pretty much all of them. I ended up mostly leveling it with LRM50, TAG, ML, and it does rather well. Reasonable speed, lots of ammo, alternating LRM25 in single waves with 15/10 tubes on each arm. But it was horribly defenseless up close, and you can't always rely on a team to protect you in PUGs. I ended up with LRM30, 2xSSRM, 2xERLL, ad it works beatifully.

For the K, I went straight to the typical CTF-3D Brawler loadout, AC20, 4xML, but found it to be horrible without the 3D's mobility. I immediately dropped that and began trying various combinations, trying every ballistic, sometimes different missiles. In the end I decided to try something I've never been satisfied with on other chassis, 4xLL. It's a beautiful thing. I find it to be the perfect mech for the loadout, with just the right balance of speed, armor and tonnage to pack heat sinks into.

I had the most trouble with the V. I went through a ton of configurations and nothing was good. 2xAC2s were too hot. 2xUAC was too heavy and unreliable. I hated it with a passion. The only one I considered close to playable was 2xAC5, 2xLL, 3xLRM5 (I actually really like the 3xLRM5 as a fast-firing, CT coring, assist-scoring, Light-chasing machine). I ran the 2xPPC, AC10 for a while and got some decent scores with it, but didn't really like it. I had pretty much consigned the mech to be sold off. Then I decided to go with something simple, toss out all the variant-specific advantages, and loaded AC20/2xERLL and it all came together. I'm not sure why, but it just works. In fact it works considerably better than my nearly identical Victor, which is slightly faster, with more armor and JJs!

In the end I went from greatly disliking the entire chassis to enjoying it immensely, and all 3 variants are among the most successful mechs I've piloted to date, stat-wise.

I still think it's ugly, though. :D

#28 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

Yep, the Os can work well. The trick I found useful is playing them like a Hunchback. You're a big target. You're vunerable. And you will be focused usually.

Another thing I found useful was avoiding ridge cresting. Since the Orion is tall and the arms are low horizontal cover works much better. A lot better in fact.

As far brawling goes, I've been using this guy:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c21bfc6e21066d0

with some success. Sure a 2.5 KDA isn't really that great, nor do I think I'm high ELO or something, but as long as you can avoid getting caught alone, and can block as much as possible with the empty left side, it works ok.
(Keep in mind it was designed partly to be cheap and more powerful close range builds definetly exist, so I suggest it particularly if you need a cheap Orion variant to level up).

#29 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:47 AM

Love me my Orions and yeah I'm totally leveling them this weekend. Though I will probably cut down to one when all is said and done.

I totally do the "Varied weapon build" on them. My most consistently decent build is: (off the top of my head haven't looked exactly)

2 ER Large
LRM 15
1 Gauss.
250 STD engine

Simple but effective build that hits at all ranges and indirectly too. It's one of those "I hit you from 1.5km, Then twice at 1 KM, then 4 times at 750m, then 4 times again at 500m. You want that slow trudge to continue to rain fire down. Of course this presupposes having a non-sucky team of course. :D

#30 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

No mine were already master befor double xp. I don't suck at MWO i don't need it;p

#31 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 12 October 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I figured the double XP weeked would be a great time to level my Orions, since they suck. Then this happened:

Posted Image

and then this

Posted Image

This happened many more times; yesterday me and a friend wiped out 9/12 of the enemy team's Mechs on our own. I was in the VA and he in a Flame. It turns out you can't play an Orion the way you'd play a Cataphract. Who'da thunk it?

The only problem is that now I want to keep all the variants...

Who else has found that the Orions aren't actually as completely sucky as they first assumed?

I think I might have been one of your victims in one match, I remember being teamed by an orion, flame/fang, pair, I was a boar head, my team ran aroud like headless chickens, I was vainly trying to keep up and 'pair' to get some firepower down on a single mech, but as I got to position trying to help one would fall then the next, the team was slowly getting picked off one by one, I saw an orion and fed up wanting to get some damage down before disaster hit, charged, then the flame/fang sped around the corner and back to the hill, covered in ballistic fire, last ac round before I lost my side torso, I saw a red and black arm spinning, and then thump...

Might not have been your pair, but the match was truely woeful, and I was the only one to score over 300 damage.

But yes the Orion isn't that bad a mech, it blows hot and cold in pugs, as you need a 'team' to support

#32 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

tried a couple of drops, as soon as my mech was spotted my ct was cored in seconds in my Protector but I was able to get away and let the rest of the team do the brawling and supported them. its way to easy to core an Orion. i'm always in PUG drops so not very happy with the mech.

#33 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'm just going to echo the sentiments here. Once I took the XL engine out, the mech became a lot nicer to handle. I had a funny game with the V yesterday where 3 lights tried to gang up on me while I was alone.

They underestimated my 4 Streak SRMs!

#34 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Posted Image

Long live the orion!

These are my builds. I dont have the protector yet tough

ON1-K"Leo"

ON1-V "Virgo"

ON1-VA "Aries"

ON1-M"Pisces"

"ZERO"

I have not yet been able to aquire the Protector tough. Need more moneyz first

#35 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm a big fan of the Orion. The protector is almost edging out my founders atlas as mech most played.

#36 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostDocBach, on 13 October 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

I'm a big fan of the Orion. The protector is almost edging out my founders atlas as mech most played.

Whats your bulld for the protector? i am still heavily experimenting over here

#37 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

330xl, ac10, 2ppc srm6 15dhs

#38 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

They should do double XP weekends more, if anything, to encourage players to experiment with other mechs, It becomes boring playing the same mech over and over and over again.

Necessity is the mother of invention so when you're convinced that a mech is otherwise useless you'll be more obliged to try to fix it up with something interesting. You get some good laughs, maybe PGI gets some MC sales in so you get get some variants and everybody goes home happy.

#39 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

No :D

Posted Image
Did this a few days BEFORE the 2X was announced.

#40 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with a splatcatesque va build; 325xl 20 srms w/ Artemis, 2 Ppcs and 16dhs

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users