So Who's Been Leveling Their Orions This Weekend?

66 replies to this topic

#61 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

It's a good mech with good speed. I need some input on how to set it up though. After speed tweak it's not half as bad as without it.

I have 3 variants so far. Debating if I should get some more mechbays for the other variants, but I'll see how I go.

But yes, it's funny how it's absolutely nothing like a Cataphract even though it's just 5 tons more.

#62 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think the AC20 has a surprise factor on the Orion because everyone thinks you have an XL and they rush to brawl without checking your loadout. Surprise!

#63 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 14 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

I think the AC20 has a surprise factor on the Orion because everyone thinks you have an XL and they rush to brawl without checking your loadout. Surprise!

#64 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Got my Protector and VA elited this weekend. The speed tweak is very nice, as are 2x basic efficiencies.

#65 CooloutAC

Dezgra

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 14 October 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

All I can say is make sure you have Endo Steel equipped.  Also, get an XL engine for your Orion.  They don't often lose their side torso.
yes i have endo, ferborous, xl300. I can only fit 2 large lasers, 1 ac10, 2 ac10 ammos, ams and ams ammo. I can't add a streak or anything else. and I can't get my torso to full armor. Like i see on the on1-v smurfy links in this thread?

#66 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm still in the "FFS can I not die the moment the enemy lays eyes upon me?" camp with the Orion, sadly, but that is partially due to just having the one variant so far and only having played about 10 matches with it.

#67 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Got them all elited over the weekend and my K almost to Master. I've decided for the most part I really like the chassis, but I'll probably dump the V and VA when I find the need for an open bay or a few quick millions. Most likely they'll be scrapped for DHS on all my Phoenix mechs coming this weekend.

My complaints are that, yes, sometimes the CT pops pretty easy, but not nearly as often as my Jagers or Cats (either), and the Orion slops/turns pretty slowly in comparison to other heavies, even with full Elite skills. That is unfortunate when lights get in close.

I like to stick with STD engines because I have noticed that > 60% of my matches I end up losing a side torso before my center goes up. Often its my left (probably the missile launchers make a good target) and I can still get off a few more AC/20 shots, so there's that.

I really have found my groove with the following weapons, 300 STD engine.
- 4 MLAS
- LRM 15 + Arty
- AC/20

I generally start the fight out at range with the missile boats and spam LRM fire until someone closes, then the 4xMLAS and AC/20 get to be pretty nasty. Favorite shots of the weekend were coring both a spider and jenner as they ran by at full speed with the AC. Runs kinda hot on some maps and I've really gotta remember to manage my heat better, but that's on me.

Its really not a brawler chassis, but I didn't excpect it to be. In TT (3025 era mostly) I used them as a support unit since, eventhough they had heavy armor, they came stock with 5 tons of ammo. Closing without burning at least a few tons was a fantastic recipe for an ammo explosion. That same type of plan seems to work well in MWO too. CT is too big and turning/stopping is too slow for me to brawl with 'em.

Now I'm just pondering how I'm going to make a THUD build that I'll like more.

Edited by Finn McShae, 14 October 2013 - 09:57 AM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users