So Who's Been Leveling Their Orions This Weekend?

66 replies to this topic

#41 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 12 October 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

NRP - I find the Orion to be extraordinarily good at light wacking, the AC20 being close in line to the CT means the slug travels in a predictable arc, its only a matter of time before they screw up and die horribly.

Absolutely! I don't know what kind of weird synergy I have with the VA, an AC/20, and streaks but it just seems incredibly easy to kill lights, especially ones that try to dry hump your legs in a futile attempt to get below your firing arc. If the AC/20 shot doesn't outright kill them, the 4 streak blast follow up will. Seriously, the first ever match in the VA I got something like 4 kills (mostly lights/cicadas). I got through the basics in just a few hours. I couldn't believe it. I've never had an easier or more fun time grinding a mech. Needless to say the VA is a keeper.

#42 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I wont buy one because there so UGLY!!!!! Posted Image

better Orion--->>> Posted Image

Kerensky Orion---> Posted Image

we just can win with these types of mech design ahhhhh--> Posted Image

#43 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostDocBach, on 13 October 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

330xl, ac10, 2ppc srm6 15dhs

My Protector build is similar:

XL330
2 LLs
AC/10
PPC
16 DHS

The torso PPC mount is high enough to do "peek" firing from cover, and the heat efficiency is good enough to keep firing my 3 weapon groups for quite a while. After I elited it, I have started firing the PPC and AC/10 together as a "snap shot" while on the move.

I love this mech. It's a lot of fun with a few teammates. Not very good on it's own though.

#44 BrockSamsonFW

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 13 October 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

For the K, I went straight to the typical CTF-3D Brawler loadout, AC20, 4xML, but found it to be horrible without the 3D's mobility. I immediately dropped that and began trying various combinations, trying every ballistic, sometimes different missiles. In the end I decided to try something I've never been satisfied with on other chassis, 4xLL. It's a beautiful thing. I find it to be the perfect mech for the loadout, with just the right balance of speed, armor and tonnage to pack heat sinks into.

Agreed. I'm actually using 4xERLL with 22DHS and do quite well with it. It's not uncommon to see 800+ damage and it's almost always higher than 400 so if I don't get the top damage I'm usually not far behind.

The only change I'm really considering is swapping to standard LL. The 3 less heat per arm being fired would add up to a lot more sustained fire.I'm not sure I can lose the range though. I do a lot of sniping at 900-1300 range.

#45 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

i have a funny ON1-K build it involves lrm10/15 2x tag/ER lasers (never know what side of a wall you'll be creeping) and tons of lrm ammo (just feel like the further your distance is the better with that center torso and all)

Edited by user5318, 13 October 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#46 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've been working on mine a bit, got my K elited, working on the V and VA.

Its been a FAR sturdier mech than many have said they were on these forums, and I only have been going down to CT core when I do something stupid, else I usually lose at least one shoulder and/or arm. I've been away and I am not liking the UAC changes though, my Jams seemingly 75% of the time now. That's ok, I like the AC/5 just fine.

My only issue is getting the builds I like with enough heat sinks and a STD engine. All mine run really hot.

I like my K with 4 MLAS, LRM 15 + Arty and an AC/20.

V i was running a 4 LRM and 2xLLas with an AC/5

VA (I think) was 2 SRM 4, 2 x LLAS and a UAC/5 (which I might switch up, maybe drop the srms and go AC/20 + LLAS)

I even hit a 96 score with my K. I can't recall the last time I got so high a score, probably when the Firebrand just came out.

#47 CooloutAC

Dezgra

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

how do u guys fit all that on your mech, I run out of weight trying to copy your builds. Is it because i need to the elite and master xp unlocks to be able to to the full loadouts?

#48 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Seems like they fixed the Orion, either that or everyone lost their aim. Last week it was doom to shoot mechs that were shooting back. You just lost. This week I can dare to shoot back. It's not a brawler though. Mid range AC10 or 20 or LRMs.

Edited by Lightfoot, 13 October 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 13 October 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I wont buy one because there so UGLY!!!!! Posted Image

better Orion--->>> Posted Image

Kerensky Orion--->
we just can win with these types of mech design ahhhhh-->

love the power armor sized Archer behind it. priceless.

These all look like {Scrap}. In game model looks fine.

#50 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

These all look like {Scrap}. In game model looks fine.

I think that the "mini Archer" is actually supposed to be an Anubis (or some other light).

Edited by FupDup, 13 October 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#51 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

I believe that is a Toro.

#52 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 13 October 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

I believe that is a Toro.

That's the one.

Posted Image

#53 CooloutAC

Dezgra

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

why is it i can't even come close to those smurfy links with my orion-v loadout? i mean wtf? dudes even have max torso on front and back? 2 large lasers, plus 2 ac5s? and ammo on both legs, with ams and a streak? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???

[redacted]

and if they don't have large lasers, they have an ac20? and again maxed armor???? No wonder i have been feeling nerfed all this time, because according to the many builds in this thread, I sure as hell am....

Edited by miSs, 13 October 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 October 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

That's the one.

Posted Image

I´m glad I missed that >TRO

#55 Byzan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

ive been really tempted to get orions, kinda put off by the negative talk but to me the look like upscale hunchbacks and the HBK is my fav mech.

#56 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

After playing all weekend, I have noticed occasionally some extra soft CT-action on occasion. I'm not sure if it was because my internet has been shady this weekend and maybe I'm not noticing a bunch of hits. And a definate few times it was boom-jaegers.

Overall I really like my pig (ON1-K), but will probably sell the other variants when my Thuds come out on Tuesday.

#57 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostCathy, on 13 October 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I think I might have been one of your victims in one match, I remember being teamed by an orion, flame/fang, pair, I was a boar head, my team ran aroud like headless chickens, I was vainly trying to keep up and 'pair' to get some firepower down on a single mech, but as I got to position trying to help one would fall then the next, the team was slowly getting picked off one by one, I saw an orion and fed up wanting to get some damage down before disaster hit, charged, then the flame/fang sped around the corner and back to the hill, covered in ballistic fire, last ac round before I lost my side torso, I saw a red and black arm spinning, and then thump...

Might not have been your pair, but the match was truely woeful, and I was the only one to score over 300 damage.

But yes the Orion isn't that bad a mech, it blows hot and cold in pugs, as you need a 'team' to support

Was it on Frozen City? The final fight came down to me vs a hunchie, but he didn't realise I had seismic so I saw which way he was trying to duke between buildings and well... The AC20 still had a shot left in it ;)

#58 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I run a splatcat-esque build on my VA, and it's pretty good fun. I run an XL, though, so it's not really good to take too many hits.

XL320, Endo-steel
4xSRM4 Artemis
AC5
2X LL

LL and AC for long range, and SRMs adding a pretty big knockout punch at close range. It runs a little on the hot side, but then again, I do that with all my builds.

#59 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

I took that opportunity to get my third to master, still prolly will sell it just no need yet since I got all 4 new coming with bays!

#60 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostCooloutAC, on 13 October 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

why is it i can't even come close to those smurfy links with my orion-v loadout? i mean wtf? dudes even have max torso on front and back? 2 large lasers, plus 2 ac5s? and ammo on both legs, with ams and a streak? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???

[redacted]

and if they don't have large lasers, they have an ac20? and again maxed armor???? No wonder i have been feeling nerfed all this time, because according to the many builds in this thread, I sure as hell am....

All I can say is make sure you have Endo Steel equipped. Also, get an XL engine for your Orion. They don't often lose their side torso.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users