What Is Your Take On Throttle Decay?

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Throttle Decay :: 'Mech Weight (109 member(s) have cast votes)

For me, things are simple:

1. I always use throttle decay (13 votes [11.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.93%

2. I never use throttle decay (90 votes [82.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.57%

3. Psych! Nothing is simple for me; it depends on what 'mech I'm piloting (6 votes [5.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.50%

When piloting light 'mechs, I

1. prefer to use throttle decay (19 votes [17.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.43%

2. prefer not to use throttle decay (90 votes [82.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.57%

When piloting medium 'mechs, I

1. prefer to use throttle decay (16 votes [14.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.68%

2. prefer not to use throttle decay (93 votes [85.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.32%

When piloting heavy 'mechs, I

1. prefer to use throttle decay (15 votes [13.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.76%

2. prefer not to use throttle decay (94 votes [86.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.24%

When piloting assault 'mechs, I

1. prefer to use throttle decay (14 votes [12.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

2. prefer not to use throttle decay (95 votes [87.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

I am curious whether any of you have found it advantageous to use throttle decay when piloting 'mechs in a certain weight class.

Edited by Arkadash, 10 October 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

The website will not allow you to vote in only one question.

#3 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

I revised the poll to account for having to select an option for each question. We'll have to do some number magic to interpret the results, but I think it's doable.

#4 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

YA 100% not used so far

#5 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

I use throttle decay for light mechs, as it feels slightly quicker than tapping my 0% throttle hotkey. It feels unnecessary with heavier chassis, though.

#6 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

I tried it out when it first became an option, but it felt unnatural after the hundreds (thousands?) of matches I'd played without it. I also perceived it to be a distraction. However, I could imagine throttle decay being useful in certain situations, like when you're trying to stay in the blind spot of an assault when piloting a light 'mech.

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Throttle decay is annoying, I do not use it under ANY condition.

#8 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Why on earth would you voluntarily give up control over your speed? With throttle decay running at half notch means constantly adjusting a throttle and thus inherently accelerating-decelerating (actually, I might try this, see if hit detection rates against me drop, that might be the only argument for using TD).

#9 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

It's nice that we have the option to use it or not. But like Arm Lock, I wish this setting was available per mech, rather than a global setting that applies to all mechs.

#10 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

This is just another in a long list of "features" that most could care less about, have little to no use for, and the resources used to implement could have been used elsewhere.

#11 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostNRP, on 10 October 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

It's nice that we have the option to use it or not. But like Arm Lock, I wish this setting was available per mech, rather than a global setting that applies to all mechs.

I agree. The throttle decay I could care less, but I would like a toggle in-game for the arm lock. I know you can hold down a key to lock the arms, but couldn't we have a toggle function instead (like the Catapult missile doors).

While we are at it, how about letting us bind the zoom to the mouse wheel again...maybe an option to bind a separate zoom in and zoom out so we can use both directions of the mouse wheel too.

Ok, rant over.

#12 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

If I had pedal controls, I might use it, but on a keyboard? No thanks. I can't keep my finger stuck on one key the whole match. (light fast pilot here)

Although, the idea of using it to keep in blind spots might have some merit. Don't know if it is enough to warrant all the other annoyances associated with it.

#13 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

I leave it turned on, but frequently set my speed via the 10key pad. Even with throttle decay on, it'll hold throttle % if you do that. I'm primarily a light mech pilot, and playing with throttle decay off gets me killed.

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I was annoyed as can be when it was patched in and turned on by default with no information about how to turn it off... seems to be a "feature" of this game. Once I found it in the options, I turned it and "arm lock" off ASAP.

I like NOT having to hold a button down all the time, particularly during long walks on large maps, and I DO like being able to move my arms independent of my torso. No idea why both options are the defaults... I spectate on new players that still haven't been informed about "arm lock" as they get circle strafed to death. I'll let them know, but really... that should be explained up front and not turned on be default, IMHO. Who knows how many of them ended up with sore fingers while holding down the "forward" button while slogging along on Alpine... yeesh...

Edited by oldradagast, 10 October 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 10 October 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

While we are at it, how about letting us bind the zoom to the mouse wheel again...maybe an option to bind a separate zoom in and zoom out so we can use both directions of the mouse wheel too. Ok, rant over.

Wow it would be so cool to zoom via the mouse wheel! They used to have that? Why the hell would they remove it? Also, I would like the game to support more than 5 friggin mouse buttons. My G700 has something like 10 buttons, all of which could be put to good use in MWO. This seem like such a logical thing to do, especially given all the damn control options in the game.

In fact, next time Matt Craig or Thomas "Zeig lee lewski" is in my game I'm going to harangue them about it.

#16 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostNRP, on 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Wow it would be so cool to zoom via the mouse wheel! They used to have that? Why the hell would they remove it? Also, I would like the game to support more than 5 friggin mouse buttons. My G700 has something like 10 buttons, all of which could be put to good use in MWO. This seem like such a logical thing to do, especially given all the damn control options in the game.

In fact, next time Matt Craig or Thomas "Zeig lee lewski" is in my game I'm going to harangue them about it.

It was never in the options. You had to modify the config file.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Large cumbersome hands, don't like throttle decay. I prefer to set and be done with it.

#18 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I like to vary my throttle depending on situation fairly often. Throttle decay makes my style impossible.

It's about as useless as the new "Ready" button as far as I'm concerned.

#19 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

I know I'm bucking the trend, but I dislike turning off throttle decay. I can simply use the keypad to set my speed at a specific value, but 20 years of driving a car and simply taking my foot off the gas to slow down makes it so much easier for me to play with decay on.

Edited by Shadey99, 10 October 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#20 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

*casts flame shield*

Based on the responses so far, it appears that one idea for enriching the pilot experience trees would be to have throttle decay be an unlock, at least for light 'mechs.

Taking this idea a step further, PGI could diversify weight classes by having certain options be unlocks. Recognizing that the following is just an example, and an incomplete one at that, here is what I mean:
  • Heavy-Assault have throttle decay unlocked by default; Lights-Mediums have to use XP to unlock the option
  • Light-Medium have arm lock unlocked by default (although this benefits all 'mechs); Heavy-Assault have to use XP to unlock the option
  • Maybe add night/heat vision as unlocks?
From an immersion perspective, this type of advancement makes sense. It is logical that new mechwarriors might very well have limited options for controlling their 'mechs (e.g., no option to disable throttle decay) until they are experienced enough or have spent the time customizing the hardware/software of their 'mechs and/or neurohelmet.

The trick would be to identify situationally-helpful options tied to specific weight classes and/or specific 'mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users