Terrible Screen Freeze

38 replies to this topic

#1 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Noticed a massive sharp increase in the amount of screen freezes after this update. A few people are complaining about this in game. Anyone else experiencing this?

#2 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah i'll get 2-3 second lockups or a freeze that'll only be fixed by alt+tab or alt+F4

#3 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I just played my first match after patching and i had this issue to the point it literally crippled my gameplay, i couldn't even steer and constantly ended up face first into buildings. My PC is more than capable of running MWO and i've had no issues of this type since closed beta.

You broke something in a big way PGI, please get it fixed ;)

#4 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

If anyone who's experiencing this issue is willing to help, it would be very useful to us if you could do the following.

Download this tool: http://technet.micro...s/dd996900.aspx
Install it and run this command from the install folder in a command prompt >procdump -ma MWOClient.exe when the client is hung.

You'll need to keep the command up in a command window in the background, then when the game freezes, Alt-Tab to the command prompt and hit enter. This should generate a .dmp file these ones can be quite large but if you're willing to share it on dropbox and provide the link in a support ticket (support@mwomercs.com) we can take a look and it should help us get to the bottom of this issue. We've been hard pressed to get these issues reliably internally.

#5 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yep.

This {Scrap} got me killed tonight.

Stuttering frames while engaging an ECM Spider (skillz) and froze right after blowing his poncing behind out of the air. Could only "fix" it after I died.

Lame.

#6 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

I downloaded that program Matthew and will post logs when i next play if it continues.

#7 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 15 October 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

If anyone who's experiencing this issue is willing to help, it would be very useful to us if you could do the following.

Install it and run this command from the install folder in a command prompt >procdump -ma MWOClient.exe when the client is hung.

You'll need to keep the command up in a command window in the background, then when the game freezes, Alt-Tab to the command prompt and hit enter. This should generate a .dmp file these ones can be quite large but if you're willing to share it on dropbox and provide the link in a support ticket (support@mwomercs.com) we can take a look and it should help us get to the bottom of this issue. We've been hard pressed to get these issues reliably internally.

I got 1.7GB dumpfile from my first game. uploaded to dropbox and send support ticket for you Mat.

Edited by Reno Blade, 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I'm getting constant stuttering since patch. It only lasts for a second and seems to be completely random, happening every second to a few minutes.
Is this the same thing?

#9 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Yes wolfways that's the same issue, sometimes it lasts 4-5 seconds though. On a separate note i'm from Gateshead, nice to see a local playing :P

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostBelphegore, on 16 October 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes wolfways that's the same issue, sometimes it lasts 4-5 seconds though. On a separate note i'm from Gateshead, nice to see a local playing :P

Hi ;)

Update: I tried a full reinstall but it's still happening. Also, i now have no user.cfg and can't create one for some reason so i've lost my Fov :(

#11 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Had this twice in about an hour or so of play, if that much. Quite frustrating.

I will have to think of this dump thingy next time I play.

#12 12Bravo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 15 October 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Tried running this and got:

Error Opening MWOClient.exe <3660>
Error 5 <0x5>: Access is denied.

Edited by 12Bravo, 17 October 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#13 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I've tried running it too and for some reason it just opens, spams some fast text and auto closes again?

Running it on Win7 64 bit if that's any difference.

Edited by Belphegore, 18 October 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#14 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

I am experiencing this issue.

#15 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostBelphegore, on 18 October 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

I've tried running it too and for some reason it just opens, spams some fast text and auto closes again?

Running it on Win7 64 bit if that's any difference.

Clicking the exe file will just display the help and close the console again.
Use the command promt (a.k.a. console), windows startmenu -> RUN -> type "CMD" to open it.
then navigate to the folder where you copied it to.
For example, if you saved the exe file in the folder "c:\games\dumpfile\ then write:

cd c:\Games\Dumpfile\
the command line should change to C:\Games\Dumpfile\>
here you can then type what Mat wrote:
procdump -ma MWOClient.exe and press Enter/Return, when your MWO client hangs up and you Alt+Tab to the command console.

#16 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the dump Reno, looking at the one you provided it seems to relate to a bad raycast into the terrain, just wondering if you get the freeze more often on a particular map or even in a particular section of a map?

#17 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 18 October 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Thanks for the dump Reno, looking at the one you provided it seems to relate to a bad raycast into the terrain, just wondering if you get the freeze more often on a particular map or even in a particular section of a map?

I get the freeze mostly on my first game of the day and usually as soon as I pass over a hill, or target the first enemy in sight.
My machine works quite well, (compared to many others) so it might be less freezes on this machine than on others.
I'll see if I can find some spots to lock me up :)
EDIT:
I actually got a recording of a match with Bryan where I had a freeze and had to alt-tab out and back in on Alpine fighting in a SHD-2H(p) vs 2 Locusts near K7.
Video link follows.
Part1 until the freeze at the end of the video: http://youtu.be/3YDNHBusqio
part2 (after the freeze) http://youtu.be/vXIJP6v4UGQ
part3 (just end of the match for interested) http://youtu.be/1XgJKV-rjXE

Edited by Reno Blade, 18 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#18 Rumplestiltskin

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Me too, mostly @ kick off. real bad, maybe a 1 in 4 success rate between this and "failed to find a match" since latest patch

#19 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Not seeing the video link Reno, wouldn't mind seeing where it locks up, same goes for anyone else experiencing this issue.

#20 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

It only ever locks up on me in combat, while weapons are firing, generally autocannons. I'll grab the tool and see if I can get some info for you guys.

My gut feeling is it is a draw call on an autocannon explosion, given that I usually experience it while I am pelting people with AC5's within the first couple of hits I score. It has happened at least 10 times this way so while I don't consider it conclusive I think it's likely a good point to investigate.

EDIT

AAAAAAAND it happened on the first match after combat had begun, uploading now will send in support ticket

Edited by Monky, 18 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users