Best Shadowhawk Build

166 replies to this topic

#41 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Honestly, I'm a pretty bad player in general. But I've been doing amazingly with 2SRM2s, 1 SRM6, AC5, an LL, 2 tons SRM ammo, 2 ton AC5 Ammo, 3 JJ, and an XL 300. Very commonly break 300 points, can usually solo almost anything in the field I've gone against. It's maneuverable as hell.

Edited by Dulahan, 22 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#42 JDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Best Shadow Hawk - 5m
Best build for that SHD-5M

others variants ..less effective
3x ac5,3x ac2, 1x ac10 - dont give nice effect like 2x ac5 with chain fire + full parametrs of mech +armor+speed etc.

Edited by JDante, 22 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#43 AnotherOne

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

Sooo, what do you guys think about my builds? I know they're far from perfect and perhaps I just will ignore you (especially concerning SSRMs (just don't like them), MGs and Flamers), but anyways, here we go :blink:

SHD-2D2

It's a long-range build, running quite hot. I'm thinking about removing one of the PPCs and exchanging the other one for an ER-PPC, shaving some armor from the now empty arm and putting in another heatsink.

SHD-2H

On this one there isn't that much to say, I think it's okay. It isn't an XL, but I can't think of anything that's really missing. Well, more weapons I guess, but... *shrug*
Plus, I kind of miss the money right now

SHD-5M

This one is definitely my favorite. Rebuilding it for the link I now think about removing the JJs (or at least two of them), but I'm not quite sure whether to add armor or a weapon or something else.

So... rip my designs to shreds, please :)

#44 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostAnotherOne, on 23 October 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

SHD-2D2

Replaced the PPCs with large lasers to give you something to use at close range, and used the save weight to add another LRM 5. Upgraded to double heatsinks (recommend you do that when you get the money), and use the saved weight to max your armor and give you a jumpjet to help you get around.

Play as mid-range team support. Stay behind your team, chain fire the LRMs to rock your target, and hit individual sections with your lasers.

The third one can be used for both the 2H and 5M with varying amounts of jumpjets. You could stand to drop some armor from either jumpjets or left arm armor for more ammo, though.

#45 AgentGG

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostJDante, on 22 October 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Best Shadow Hawk - 5m
Best build for that SHD-5M

Since moving on to the other Shadow Hawks and looking over my stats, the following build has narrowly produced the best damage, win, and kill ratios.

SHD-5M Smurfy

It's in my opinion an improved variation close to the one you suggest.

2 AC 5 - 5T ammo( i run out often and get 600+ dmg when I do)
2 SSRM2 - 1T ammo
2 MLAS

XL280 gets you a slight speed increase for the same weight/size as the XL275.
2 JJ, seems to be plenty for most situation.

and I dropped armor out of the useless arm and beefed up leg/center torso armor.

#46 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 16 October 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

I'm really loving this build... makes an excellent flyswatter. Takes down SDRs and LCTs like nobody's business.

Shotgun Shad

Yes, I'm running a similar build in my 5M (couldn't fit a dual LB 10-X setup in my Blackjack but the Shadow has just enough tonnage to make it work), though because I had a spare Standard 180 engine (from the Blackjack) I used that instead which allowed me to fit two medium lasers instead of the small laser. It's slow but the dual LB 10-Xes can really chew up a mech. The only problem is that the barrels are so big that you can't see anything on your left side.

It's kind of like playing with one eye closed.

#47 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 October 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Mine's using an XL260, 2 jets, 1 mlas, 3 ac2, 2 ssrm. So far won twice as many matches as I've lost, with 36 kills to 3 deaths :) This Mech is fuckkking brilliant!

This. I tried the triple AC 2 tonight. My very first match, I scored 3 kills, 8 assists, and 960 damage. It's probably best with competent teammates on TS3, but man, it is beastly when it gets going.

#48 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have been wanting to make something different from my other Shadow Hawks. The other day while trying to figure this out I saw a HBK-4G kicking ***, so I thought I can make one better with the Shadow Hawk. Thus http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c404839d7f1380c was born. It is really funny when people think that I am easy game and instead get an AC20 round to the face. Hope you guys like it. Good hunting.

#49 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi everyone!

I try a build for the SHD-2H, with a gauss and srm for more punch on short range :

SHD-2H

What do you think about that? I try to find a build with a good long range power, but with some weapons for short range defense, when ennemy get close... It's difficult to combine two styles.

I need some experts advises!

Thanks =)

#50 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

The best Shadow Hawk is 2x AC5 1x PPC or 4x SSRM2 + Lasers. They rock.

#51 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

Huh, no love for the larger SRM packs I see.

I've been running the 2H in this config with a lot of success

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...67f31ea176b461a

It has plenty of ranged firepower and the speed to stay out of trouble, but also murders things in close. I regularly break 500, and over 900 isn't that uncommon. It's tight on ammo (3 tons UAC, 2 tons SRM), and can run dry towards the end of battles fairly easily, but if you've run out of ammo, you've inflicted serious damage. The UAC gets annoying at times, but it's not problematic when one usually has the speed to simply disengage for a moment if it jams, and on average, the damage on it still works out favorably.

With most builds, the XL seems to help more than hurt. The Shadowhawk is never going to be overly durable, so if you're not making very liberal use of jumpjets and speed to stay out of harms way, or else just never fighting in-close to begin with, you're not going to see much success. The extra heatsinks from the larger engine also don't hurt.

Edited by Catamount, 30 October 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#52 Spleen MCQueen

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

when I play with my friends we do a brawler squad and i run a shadowhawk with an LBX10 2 SRM4, a large laser and a flamer.Its really fun and it is pretty strong. I have an average of 500 damage, sadly it relies too much on communication and its alot harder to play it alone

#53 Mabru

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 23 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

I've been having pretty good success with this :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee88479defc91bb

Play it like a Streaktaro, except now you can jump. Alternatively you can drop the engine to a 350XL and put more {Scrap} into it but I had two 360's already and wasn't keen on dumping more c-bills into this.

#54 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostMabru, on 30 October 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I've been having pretty good success with this :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee88479defc91bb

Play it like a Streaktaro, except now you can jump. Alternatively you can drop the engine to a 350XL and put more {Scrap} into it but I had two 360's already and wasn't keen on dumping more c-bills into this.

I was too, well, very similar, XL350 instead of 360. Thing is, it's more speed than you really need. The Shadow Hawk is already a fast mech for a medium, it doesn't need a speed boost...well, ok, go with an XL280 over the 275 since they both weigh the same amount. With the saved tonnage you can mount an uAC/5 or an LB-10/X to really add to your FP and help a little more against bigger mechs.

You can go out there with the huge engine as a light hunter and if you come across one, perhaps two you're ok. If you hit a pack you're in a lot of trouble. Or you can go slower, mount the ballsitic and instead be a, well, my friends and I call them Ioun Stones. Small mechs that can remain near the large heavies and assaults and support them. You can take out the lights that are hitting them from behind or you can let the bigger mech engage an enemy as the primary target and then you can support blowing off various bits to speed up kills.

#55 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

So many slow Shadowhawks in here! I know everyone has their own philosophy when it comes to mech building; mine is definitely speed first, everything else second. You might have to sacrifice a little firepower, but the faster you are, the more likely you'll be the one choosing the engagement rather than being forced into it.

My three builds (from memory, I'm not at home):

SHD-2H: XL350, 1LPL, 3SSRM, 3MG (I know, weird build, it's fast as hell though even without speed tweak and I do ridiculous damage with it)

SHD-2D2: XL330, 4SSRM, 1AC5, BAP (simple and very effective, just aim and mash buttons)

SHD-5M: XL325, LB10X, 2SSRM, 2ML (or MPL, can't remember: this one is in flux. I'm up in the air about the LB vs the AC10).

Slowest one is 95kph before speed tweak, and they all have the potential to do gross damage when I fight smart!

#56 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 01 November 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

So many slow Shadowhawks in here!

Hitting 81 kph for a medium is actually quite fast. The average speed for a medium is 64.8 kph. MWO gives us all stupid levels of customization and weight savings so it's easier to go faster, but really, 91 or 97.1 are as fast as you need to go. The SHD has the tonnage and the armour to survive the damage, you're not a light that needs to max out their speed just to have a hope of surviving.

#57 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ninja-Hawk

Personally, I find the 2D2 the worst of the three models, but I intend to give this guy a try. Currently, while leveling, I'm running him 'Ninja Lite'. 'Tinfoiled' the armor, crammed the biggest XL (weighs darn near half the total weight).

The idea is to roll with the pack as 'overwatch'. Killing lights that harass the main push, or 'ninja' assaults. Berserker rush them, jump jet (with a 'ninja roll') behind them, and open up all that tasty back armor.

Obviously, sometimes you just get cored out and do nothing, but surprisingly, the 'mech is actually doing rather well. Might not sell it off after all...

And obviously, the 360 is too much for too little. So it'll actually end up looking like this in the end.

Edited by Mercer Skye, 01 November 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#58 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7f4af6b43bb815c

Has anyone tried something like that? Versatile but with decent punch up close. Its the latest build I've put together but haven't had the time to put it through its paces.

#59 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 01 November 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Hitting 81 kph for a medium is actually quite fast. The average speed for a medium is 64.8 kph. MWO gives us all stupid levels of customization and weight savings so it's easier to go faster, but really, 91 or 97.1 are as fast as you need to go. The SHD has the tonnage and the armour to survive the damage, you're not a light that needs to max out their speed just to have a hope of surviving.

Posted Image

It's not about "need", it's about different strokes for different folks.

Although, from a certain perspective, it could be argued that mediums do indeed need to take advantage of whatever speed advantage is available to them. I have A bunch of heavies in my mechlab (Cats, a Jager, Thunderbolts, Orions, Dragons) that can easily do 81 kph. Hard to argue that you might want to at least outrun a bunch of guys that have you out-tonned by 10 to 20 tons.

It all comes down to a pilot's playstyle and personal taste. My SHDs run at 95.7, 97.1, and 103 kph or something like that before speed tweak. That's a significant increase over 81 kph; enough for me to warrant giving up 5 or 6 tons worth of weapons. I recognize that it's a tradeoff, and for me, personally, it's worth the trade :huh:

Edited by FerretGR, 01 November 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#60 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

You do have a point, it is my opinion, but given the number of builds in this thread alone, it's a worthwhile one. The 55-ton mediums (Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Dervish, Griffin) are up-engined over most mediums, so it doesn't need too much more. Yes, you do want to keep a head of those heavies, but the Jump Jets will help with that. I personally wouldn't go much higher than an XL300. My 5M has an XL300, AC/10, 4xSRM4, 2 MLs, 5 JJs and a reasonable amount of ammo. That's pretty solid.

Some fast Shadow Hawks could well serve a needed role, but it doesn't need too much more engine that it already has. I had the similar idea of a LPL or ER PPC with 3 MGs, 3 Streaks and BAP does seem like a good light hunter build for the 2H, but you can probably do just as well with an XL280, 4 Streaks, an LB-10/X and a pair of MLs on a 2D2.

The most important point is the Shadow Hawk is an extremely versatile and, well, amazing mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users