#21 desan476

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationunderground

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

wow! very nice idea... loooking forward to see how this will be implemented in game.

#22 desan476

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationunderground

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 19 October 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

Damn, I was hoping to use and modify Alex Iglesia's MWO models to cook up a kitbashed Marauder

oh well, here's an OMEGA to keep you company

Posted Image

wooohoooo! doesnt need any other comment
MAD-5S should be f*cking awesome with 2x ER PPC, 2x Medium Pulse and sweet *** Gauss Rifle :)

#23 PainGod30

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Just stopping by to give a friendly bump, let's get us some marauders! Just going to throw out Shimmering Sword if anyone is looking for inspiration. His redesign is amazing!

#24 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Just to be sure, a mix of Cataphract and Catapult from the mechlab is not what you'r asking for, right? :)
I posted a Marauder and a MadCat months ago (february) here: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1832814

Drawing wise, I don't think there could be anything better than Shimmering Swords rebuild on Deviant Art.
(you all saw his "Mercenary moon" with the 4 unseen, right?)

#25 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 21 October 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Just to be sure, a mix of Cataphract and Catapult from the mechlab is not what you'r asking for, right? :P
I posted a Marauder and a MadCat months ago (february) here: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1832814

Drawing wise, I don't think there could be anything better than Shimmering Swords rebuild on Deviant Art.
(you all saw his "Mercenary moon" with the 4 unseen, right?)

Haha yes that's right. As cool as it would look, everything in your design must be your own design and not a copy of someone elses material :)

Shimmering Sword is awesome inspiration. Although after, looking at my final drawings after being inspired, it's safe to say my drawings could be used for demotivational pictures lol!

#26 Auggie Barrenechea

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, AB

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostJames Griffin, on 19 October 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

No really, screw harmony gold, I haven't seen anything new from them except the new TT which I intend to buy and use the minis exclusively for playing Battletech, it'll be nice to have a Whammer, Rifleman, and Marauder again

The reason nothing has come out of Harmony Gold is because a court has made it that nobody truly owns the rights anymore. It may be in Harmony Gold's portfolio but they're not allowed to use the designs either.

#27 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hello future/current readers….

A quick update:
Today I decided try to do something a little extra. I’m sketching up some personalized ribbon/badge/trophy type of graphics for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Top 5, and non-personalized (or maybe they will be) participant ribbons to go beside each of the appropriate submissions. The ribbons/badges/trophies will be e-mailed in a higher resolution version to the people so they can fit it them onto their signatures how they like.

I figured this might be neat for those who take pride in their involvement with the contest and would like to show that off and also for those who might be interested in spicing up their signatures with some flare. I’m going to try real hard to make them look awesome. I’m pleased with some of my sketches… but converting them into digital with colour is going to be tricky for me and take a lot of time.

Anyways, just thought I’d announce that I’m working on adding some extra little goodies to the contest to make submitting and the voting phases a little more rewarding. But if they’re not going to look as good as I want them too then I will have to think of something else or just scrap the idea. But hey! I’m always thinkin of you guys, so make sure to spread the contest around!

#28 Tirick Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

This is a brilliant idea; I don't know if I'll be able to cook something up in the next two weeks, but I'll certainly be considering it. I would absolutely love to see a MAD in game, even if it can't be 'close' to the original design.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

so do you prefer the images to stay unposted until the voting thread is put together?

#30 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 October 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

so do you prefer the images to stay unposted until the voting thread is put together?

That's correct ;) No need to upload your images to this thread. The Submission Guidelines in the OP still apply. Just e-mail it to create.a.marauder@gmail.com in the maximum resolution you want it to be in. Make sure you got your title, your MWO name or real name, and all that jazz in the subject line.

Come Nov. 13th after the contest closes at end of the 10th, I’ll make a separate thread directed specifically for the first phase of voting via Likes for the entire community to participate in and it will be open for 5 days. I’ll take the amount of likes per image, pick out the top 5, and create another thread for the final voting to take place via poll for the community as well – I may just put it all in the same thread, but I’m not sure; I’ll determine that when the time comes and make it clear how that’s going to work.

View PostTirick Fire, on 23 October 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

This is a brilliant idea; I don't know if I'll be able to cook something up in the next two weeks, but I'll certainly be considering it. I would absolutely love to see a MAD in game, even if it can't be 'close' to the original design.

I hope you enter! I consider this contest as also a chance for players to provide visual feedback towards a new design for the Marauder. After all, any of the designs could inspire them to create something similar with their added style. Best of luck!

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 23 October 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

That's correct ;) No need to upload your images to this thread. The Submission Guidelines in the OP still apply. Just e-mail it to create.a.marauder@gmail.com in the maximum resolution you want it to be in. Make sure you got your title, your MWO name or real name, and all that jazz in the subject line.

Come Nov. 13th after the contest closes at end of the 10th, I’ll make a separate thread directed specifically for the first phase of voting via Likes for the entire community to participate in and it will be open for 5 days. I’ll take the amount of likes per image, pick out the top 5, and create another thread for the final voting to take place via poll for the community as well – I may just put it all in the same thread, but I’m not sure; I’ll determine that when the time comes and make it clear how that’s going to work.

cool thanks, just unusual for me not to add new stuff to my Deviant page, but will make an exception for this!

#32 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

cool thanks, just unusual for me not to add new stuff to my Deviant page, but will make an exception for this!

Ooooh, I see! No, you’re more than welcome to post it up here if you want to.
I’m just saying that if you want to submit it, then just makre sure you email it to that e-mail address otherwise I won’t see it as a submission when I start the voting thread in a couple weeks. ;)

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 October 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Ooooh, I see! No, you’re more than welcome to post it up here if you want to.
I’m just saying that if you want to submit it, then just makre sure you email it to that e-mail address otherwise I won’t see it as a submission when I start the voting thread in a couple weeks. ;)

well, hope you got it already then.

Also, just wanted to clarify, this is New, Original stuff, yes? No retreading our existing designs? Like Shimmering Sword's long standing design? I am just curious as I was hoping the idea was to get fresh, new designs to add to the Marauder Gene pool, and such.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

well, here is my entry. It's no Shimmering Sword, so hope people can appreciate the design through line art.
Posted Image

Also, did you post this in NGNG's forums? Be good for more entries, I would think.

#35 Tirick Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

well, here is my entry. It's no Shimmering Sword, so hope people can appreciate the design through line art.
Spoiler

Very nice, clean drawing. I like the design.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

I hope you enter! I consider this contest as also a chance for players to provide visual feedback towards a new design for the Marauder. After all, any of the designs could inspire them to create something similar with their added style. Best of luck!

I have just finished up some preliminary sketches and will try my hand at putting together a decent 3D model. It has been a long time since I attempted to model anything not meant to be turned into tiny paper models so we'll see how it goes.

#36 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

UPDATE CONTEST UPDATE CONTEST UPDATE CONTEST UPDATE CONTEST

Bishop Steiner brought up a very critical issue (thank you). All artwork/submissions must be created after Oct. 19th. (during the contest) I added this rule to the contest, however this is not a new rule (but it is to you guys). During my final edits before posting the thread, I feel confident that I unknowingly deleted that line while doing some heavy re-wording/final formatting. I can say that there has not yet been any artwork showing signs of hyper refinement.

I'm adding this into the submissions and contacting one other person who I feel may have been misled.
I apologize, and if you were misled please contact me right away.

I hope you understand, as I mentioned, this is my first contest.

#37 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 19 October 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

I would point out that the Cataphract is basically a frankenmech based on parts from the Maruader, Shadow Hawk, and Pheonix Hawk. A good rule of thumb might be to start with the phract's legs, since they are parts shared by the mrd.

The Cataphract uses both the arms AND legs from a Marauder, the 1X even keeps the PPC on one arm stock, so a portion of the art/assets are already in game. The trick is the Autocannon and torso area.

Edit: This would be pretty sick in game.

http://www.deviantar...2?_sid=3ab3fd1f

Edited by rdmgraziel, 24 October 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#38 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostIqfishLP, on 19 October 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Look at my MAAAAD Drawing Skills!

Posted Image

This is so sad...

I admire your candor; You've earned 300 lollerskate points. :lol:

In all seriousness, It's pretty cool to see player-made contests with such impressive prizes. I'm tempted to enter, but I don't quite have the same affection for the Marauder as I feel some of the other contestants do. Passion is a big part of art. :)

Edit: I used "quite" twice... It bothered me... >.>

Edited by Foxx, 24 October 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#39 LCRacerX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

The Russ Bullock follow-up tweet about how Harmony Gold always gets a vote & always votes no is a bit depressing. Still, I think this is a worthwhile exercise.

#40 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostFoxx, on 24 October 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Edit: I used "quite" twice... It bothered me... >.>
Haha that bothers me too! My teachers engrained it into my head to avoid doing that. lol I'm glad I'm not alone with this feeling.

View PostLCRacerX, on 24 October 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

The Russ Bullock follow-up tweet about how Harmony Gold always gets a vote & always votes no is a bit depressing. Still, I think this is a worthwhile exercise.
Yeah it bums me out, but we're not sure the reason they vote no. And thats where this contest comes in, to hopefully intrigue artists to try their hand at designing something original and usable that can't be voted no by HG. I think that'd be neat, because it'd be most likely that it would help PGI design something that works. I dunno haha, a long stretch maybe...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users