Marauder Concept / Design Contest - (Unofficial) - Ended

389 replies to this topic

#61 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

maruader was an adapted design very early on just to sell the toy designs in the states but it was adapted to a system it wasn't designed for. it's very special for having a central mouted weapon being stored in the RT, that was the original FASA adaption hence it was seen as a correction on the reseen to side mount larger weapons. it's just one of the perks/quirks of this design we'd love to see back and in truth considering all torso guns are fixed in this game it won't make too much of a difference. really the tradeoff will be one high mounted gun and two low-slung arms {competition winner and decision to adapt it for MWO pending} so it will have positives and negatives to balance.

extract:
Spoiler

within the extract the cannon was an afterthought... not only in canon, boom boom, but to Fasa's game mechanics no doubt!

if done right my MAD mech will be my new Sig mech... though the mk2 will be tempting too. my ideal garage will be something like, medium-crab heavy-marauder assault-maruader mk2, not sure what the light mech would be yet.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 28 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#62 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

I am not very familiar with canon or unseen/reseen things.
Is it crucial to create design with center torso mounts? Or it is possible to mount weapon in side torso?

#63 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

View Postvetal l, on 28 October 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Is it crucial to create design with center torso mounts? Or it is possible to mount weapon in side torso?

this should help you

#64 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postvetal l, on 28 October 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Most "Reseen" versions I've seen put the weapon more visibly in the side torso it's installed on according to its game mechanical representation, but still close to the center.

#65 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

Ahhh I see. I wonder, how close to the unseen can we draw.

#66 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Postvetal l, on 28 October 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

Ahhh I see. I wonder, how close to the unseen can we draw.

For the contest, the design should be your own; unique from the original design.
However, in terms of Harmony Gold actually OK’ing a design? I have the funny feeling we’re going to have to say good-bye to the top mounted gun. The top cannon is iconic to the Marauder. For some that’s what makes the Marauder. But the Marauder design is a rip-off from HG’s design. The iconic cannon on the top for the Marauder is the iconic design stolen from HG. To get a Marauder, it may end up being a design without that center canon, less sleek, and could very well be an image of a mech that looks nothing like the Marauder. I hope that won't be the fact, though.
I believe this is where Bryan Ekman is coming from when he asks “What are people’s expectations.” I think he knows a little more than he leads on to know. He knows what HG will say no to, he knows what the Marauder ISN’T going to look like...
I’m hoping artists pick up on this and, although it may not LOOK like a Marauder, they will create something that is a worthy replacement.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 28 October 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#67 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 28 October 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

For the contest, the design should be your own; unique from the original design.
However, in terms of Harmony Gold actually OK’ing a design? I have the funny feeling we’re going to have to say good-bye to the top mounted gun. The top cannon is iconic to the Marauder. For some that’s what makes the Marauder. But the Marauder design is a rip-off from HG’s design. The iconic cannon on the top for the Marauder is the iconic design stolen from HG. To get a Marauder, it may end up being a design without that center canon, less sleek, and could very well be an image of a mech that looks nothing like the Marauder. I hope that won't be the fact, though.
I believe this is where Bryan Ekman is coming from when he asks “What are people’s expectations.” I think he knows a little more than he leads on to know. He knows what HG will say no to, he knows what the Marauder ISN’T going to look like...
I’m hoping artists pick up on this and, although it may not LOOK like a Marauder, they will create something that is a worthy replacement.

Not stolen.
They were bought from the same guys who sold it for HG. See this topic for more legal details.

#68 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 October 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

Not stolen.
They were bought from the same guys who sold it for HG. See this topic for more legal details.

Hmh.. would ya look at that! haha thanks for the correction. Iiiiiinterestinnnnnng... *rubs chin*

#69 XHarlequinX

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Location******* Central

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

As a kid I loved the Robotech Anime Series, and in Battletech the Marauder has always been my favorite Mech.
Because of that I was always very disappointed that the Marauder never showed up in any of the PC Games.
Just the thought of stomping around with the Marauder with all it's glory...
But then (game-play) reality sneaks in those day dreams, and make me think that the whole design is very flawed.
As much as I love the art work and design of the Mech, after playing MWO I foresee some problems on the field, especially with the low hung arms. Looking at the side of all other Mechs you will see that the arms are protecting parts or all of the side torso. This wouldn't be the much of a case with the Marauder: the Side Torsos are openly exposed, giving enemies a very clear spot to take out Marauders fairly easy, especially if the Mech is equipped with a XL engine (the original design even shows the exposed Jet-like-engines).
It is just asking to happen. It doesn't take Nostradamus to foresee all the whining in the forums as soon as the devs introduce the Marauder with it's original design. It wouldn't live up to the expectations of the players and Marauder fans.
Sure, you might argue that looking at the front the only part of the side torso sticking out are the engine pylons, but I doubt that it would compensate for the missing side protection.
Another already mentioned problem is the center-mounted AC/5. It shouldn't be that hard to explain that the shown ballistic mount is actually on one of the side torsos, but that again exposes more of the already vulnerable side torsos.
Additionally the designer clearly (at least to me) had more like a third arm in mind: the weapon moves independently of the torso. Game wise it shouldn't be hard to connect it's movement to the arms, but again I don't know how much that would effect game balancing.
I believe that is why the devs didn't introduce the Marauder yet (but who knows what plans they have for the future).

So here is the dilemma: Introduce a flawed Marauder design to the game and destroy some of it's mystery and fame, or redesign it to fit into the game mechanics and offend all Marauder fangirls/boys by not sticking to the original.
Either way, the topic is so hot that it hasn't been touched yet.
Or: create a new design, call it either Marauder 3.0 (Marauder 2 being the later introduced assault version), or give it a complete new name but let everybody know that the design was based on the original Marauder.

In my mind it could look similar to the Clan Timberwolf/Mad Cat, but with a Marauder-like Cockpit and
with Ballistic Hardpoints instead of the Missile Launcher Boxes (the top claws of a Warhammer Tyranid Lictor comes in mind)
The iconic engine pylons would be missing, but it would satisfy having the AC Canon(s) above the Cockpit, while still being part of the arms and thus protecting the side torsos. Legs and Low hungs arms are also there, completing the Marauder-like look.
I would give the design at least 6 weapon hardpoints: 1 Ballistic and 1 Energy per arm, and 1 Energy per side torso (for the chin mounted weapons). 1 or 2 more energy/ballistic hardpoints could be added to the center.
Variants could replace the ballistic hardpoint with an additional energy hardpoint, or replace the torso energy hardpoints for missile hardpoints.
The heaviest arm weapon would automatically be allocated to the top mount. 9 free slots per arm give enough room for an AC/5 or even UAC/5 paired with a (ER)PPC. That, together with 2 Medium Lasers would give you one scary Mech, but with limited ammo and massive heat problems, especially without double heat sinks. I don't think the game balance would be effected, as you can already build similar mechs (i.e. CAT-K2, CTF-3D).
Unfortunately I lack the art/photoshop skills to create a picture of the design :)

Edited by XHarlequinX, 28 October 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#70 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

What makes mech a marauder? Top mounted cannon? It was an easily overcome - just place it slightly off center. Birdlike legs? Even stalker have it? Arms without hands, but with energy weapons? Whats more? And how many of this parts should be in design to make it forbidden by law? Can we spare top mounted gun and still name it marauder? Or should we place it on four legs?

Also - the strange things is a mechs dimensions. You know - there's a general rule that medium should be greater then light and so on. But it is almost impossible to find specifications for mechs.

Atlas for example are 16 meters high. Madcat - only 12.6. But Marauder also 16 meters. At least it's what i can find about it. Imagine birdlike mech Atlas size. And in many pictures it looks like light mech. Fast and long paces, huge (compared to body) gun at the top.

What cannon can be so huge (imagine Atlas and this gun)? But if we make this mech twice (may be more) smaller - everything fits in place. 50t mech with AC/5 can be fast and looks smaller under this gun.

So... sleek and neat 75t 16m mech? no way. =( Would it still be Marauder - that's your choice.

#71 XHarlequinX

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Location******* Central

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postvetal l, on 28 October 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

What makes mech a marauder? Top mounted cannon? It was an easily overcome - just place it slightly off center. Birdlike legs? Even stalker have it? Arms without hands, but with energy weapons? Whats more? And how many of this parts should be in design to make it forbidden by law? Can we spare top mounted gun and still name it marauder? Or should we place it on four legs?

Also - the strange things is a mechs dimensions. You know - there's a general rule that medium should be greater then light and so on. But it is almost impossible to find specifications for mechs.

Atlas for example are 16 meters high. Madcat - only 12.6. But Marauder also 16 meters. At least it's what i can find about it. Imagine birdlike mech Atlas size. And in many pictures it looks like light mech. Fast and long paces, huge (compared to body) gun at the top.

What cannon can be so huge (imagine Atlas and this gun)? But if we make this mech twice (may be more) smaller - everything fits in place. 50t mech with AC/5 can be fast and looks smaller under this gun.

So... sleek and neat 75t 16m mech? no way. =( Would it still be Marauder - that's your choice.

Well, looking at the recent introduced Mechs and seeing the height of the Shadowhawk you really can't compare weight with height. Taking your example of the 12.6m Mad Cat (75t), the 100t Daishi is only 12.3m tall. width (front and from the side) also are part of the bulkiness of a mech. But I agree, a 16m tall Marauder compared to the Mad Cat would look a little odd. Don't know where you read that, but I never imagined the Marauder as tall as the Atlas.
But if we are talking about the Marauder, then (to me) it can't be anything else then a 75t heavy Mech. It has always been that way, and that is one thing I would never change. (The Marauder II was an 100t assault Mech, so how would you call a 50t medium Marauder? Marauder 0.5? :) )

#72 Auggie Barrenechea

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, AB

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postvetal l, on 28 October 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

The A/C in Battletech has always been weird as far as physical design goes. There's very view that look quite right. The A/C 20 being one of the harshest ones. What makes an A/C 20? The size of the round or the volume of fire? Do these look right?
http://www.sarna.net...THR-Thunder.png http://www.sarna.net...enal_Kodiak.jpg

The Marauder doesn't need the huge barrel, it can be modified in length. The only thing you need the length for is accuracy.

#73 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostXHarlequinX, on 28 October 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

But I agree, a 16m tall Marauder compared to the Mad Cat would look a little odd. Don't know where you read that, but I never imagined the Marauder as tall as the Atlas.

http://bg.battletech...p?topic=12512.0 the only place where i can found mad height.

#74 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

IMO what makes a Marauder recognizable as a Marauder is...
- low hanging arms with particularly shaped guns (like the Cataphract pretty much), hanging as low as the mechs knees or even slightly below that
- space ship hull like torso (mix between catapult and stalker?)
- bird like legs with plate shaped feet

What I would change for a remake:
- ratio between legs and torso
In the original design the ratio between these two looks ugly

#75 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Looking forward to seeing the winners! Great idea, as many have already pointed out.

Good luck to all the artists!

#76 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostPoLaR, on 28 October 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Looking forward to seeing the winners! Great idea, as many have already pointed out.

Good luck to all the artists!

yah and many things were discussed. too bad - i have to leave PC for a week =)

#77 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Woo! I'm learning how to use Google Sketchup for this! I may not be done in time, but I'm keeping a log of my progress here:

#78 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yay Marauders

Posted Image

One in the background is scratch built

#79 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 28 October 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Woo! I'm learning how to use Google Sketchup for this! I may not be done in time, but I'm keeping a log of my progress here:

Wow... looks very very familiar =)
I've modelling some simple technical devices about 15 years ago. And have done nothing with 3D since then.
I also choose SketchUp for this and learn it ab ovo. It took me about 40 hours (i still want to sleep). I've also start modelling from a seat. And i've finished it already. There are left not so many steps (milestones modells, screenshots) to write a full log, but i will do as much as i can after voting results.

As you can see above - i've found out some new things about size of a mech. And probably (if i'll have time) I'll remade model after contest. Just for myself =)

#80 Mikros04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

this "contest" = creative use of resources

pay out a couple of hundred dollars, and you get tons of near free concept art, nicely done PGI :blink:

I like 2nd one shown here, the top one... not so much:

http://www.sarna.net...ntest-underway/

Edited by Mikros04, 28 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users